The Random Thought Thread

Moderators: Spartan, king_oxymoron

Postby DaBoi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:34 am

But what is the difference between big cats and other animals, we shouldn't kill at all.
Channel Orange Ray Of Light Electra Heart Back To Black
DaBoi
Legend

Postby Wayne » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:38 am

DaBoi wrote:But what is the difference between big cats and other animals, we shouldn't kill at all.
I'm afraid that we don't live in a fair world.

There's over 2 billion cows in the world, countless billions more pigs and chickens - there's less than 1 million of the big cats combined.

Work those odds out.
Life is a dream for the wise,
a game for the fool,
a comedy for the rich,
a tragedy for the poor.

Sholom Aleichem
Wayne
Legend

Postby Dior » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:52 am

The problem is that the species are not stable enough to support a hunting or the fur industry.

It's like shark finning or whaling. We are killing them faster than they can reproduce. THAT is the problem, and that's not to mention habitat destruction which is just as critical when it comes to the loss of these species.

You cannot compare it to domesticated animals (cows, pigs, chickens, rabbits, mink, etc.) which are bread for a single purpose. Be it for their meat, leather, or, fur.

There is a responsible way to do everything. Unfortunately humans are greedy and rather stupid to be quite frank. We go all out and slaughter an entire species and move on to the next instead of trying to create a stable industry and population.
Bsquared wrote:I hate to disagree with you @Dior because you are so handsome.
Dior
Manager

Postby DaBoi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:14 am

I have more compassion for chickens and cows etc than for the big cats which kill for a living, and they don't kill only to eat but they actually kill each other's cubs to eliminate competition, as far as I know more than 50% of cheetah cubs are killed by lions.
DaBoi
Legend

Postby Wayne » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:21 am

DaBoi wrote:I have more compassion for chickens and cows etc than for the big cats which kill for a living, and they don't kill only to eat but they actually kill each other's cubs to eliminate competition, as far as I know more than 50% of cheetah cubs are killed by lions.
But that's just the laws of nature - Lions kill Cheetah cubs because Cheetah cubs grow up to then kill Lion cubs. And its generally only the male lions. Male lions also kill lion cubs, if they aren't the father.

As for "kill for a living" - are you taking the piss? :lol: Would you expect a Lion to survive on a diet of grass and leaves?
a game for the fool,
a comedy for the rich,
a tragedy for the poor.

Sholom Aleichem
Wayne
Legend

Postby DaBoi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:30 am

I may come across as a jerk sometimes but I'm a very sensitive person and the laws of nature are too cruel, I was watching the other day a baby elephant being eaten alive by lions, the filming crew was wondering why they didn't kill it first before eating it, it took hours until it finally died, its eyes were full of blood yet it was still blinking, that's just too much for me to .... digest
DaBoi
Legend

Postby Wayne » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:37 am

DaBoi wrote:I may come across as a jerk sometimes but I'm a very sensitive person and the laws of nature are too cruel, I was watching the other day a baby elephant being eaten alive by lions, the filming crew was wondering why they didn't kill it first before eating it, it took hours until it finally died, its eyes were full of blood yet it was still blinking, that's just too much for me to .... digest
I don't think you're a jerk, I do think your view of nature is a bit naive though.

Lions are THE apex predator in the world, and what you described is unfortunately just nature. Funny that you mentioned the Cheetah thing earlier actually - I was watching something about how three Cheetah brothers were fighting over a female Cheetah, before a Lion came along and killed two of them and the other two barely escaped.

Really difficult to watch, you could hear the Lion crush the Cheetah's skull with its bite. But again, that's just nature.
a game for the fool,
a comedy for the rich,
a tragedy for the poor.

Sholom Aleichem
Wayne
Legend

Postby DaBoi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 am

Can you pls pm me the link?

I do like it when the weak win
This is my favourite video on YouTube: gazelle kills cheetah
I do feel bad for the cheetah mother and its cubs but I'm so happy that the gazelle manages to escape, that male gazelle is my hero!

I also love buffalos defending each other against lions and other predators

I am naive, I should accept the laws of nature, but I can't
When I was a kid a falcon grabbed one of my pigeons, I followed it to the valley as fast as could, I basically jumped in the air and the falcon let go of my pigeon, it was still alive, I was so happy that I saved it.
DaBoi
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Wayne wrote:
DaBoi wrote:I may come across as a jerk sometimes but I'm a very sensitive person and the laws of nature are too cruel, I was watching the other day a baby elephant being eaten alive by lions, the filming crew was wondering why they didn't kill it first before eating it, it took hours until it finally died, its eyes were full of blood yet it was still blinking, that's just too much for me to .... digest
I don't think you're a jerk, I do think your view of nature is a bit naive though.

Lions are THE apex predator in the world, and what you described is unfortunately just nature. Funny that you mentioned the Cheetah thing earlier actually - I was watching something about how three Cheetah brothers were fighting over a female Cheetah, before a Lion came along and killed two of them and the other two barely escaped.

Really difficult to watch, you could hear the Lion crush the Cheetah's skull with its bite. But again, that's just nature.
Stop trying those flops when we have polar bears and tigers also.
P=MC2's Top20: Tim #1

When I say no, Jim shuts the hell upT.
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby Wayne » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 pm

If you stuck a Lion and a Tiger together, the Tiger would invariably win, simply because its more powerful [at least the Siberian version].

But Lions are smarter, better hunters, have a higher kill rate, are much more social, and can exist in much harsher conditions than any other predator, with the possible exception of a Hyena. If you stuck a wild Lion in the jungle, it'd adapt, if you stuck a wild Tiger in to Africa, it could not exist without human intervention [as proven in the past, by those that have tried to introduce Tiger's to Africa].

For that, they are THE apex predator.

#toomuchNationalGeographicviewing
a game for the fool,
a comedy for the rich,
a tragedy for the poor.

Sholom Aleichem
Wayne
Legend

Postby hugo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Wayne wrote:If you stuck a Lion and a Tiger together, the Tiger would invariably win, simply because its more powerful [at least the Siberian version].

But Lions are smarter, better hunters, have a higher kill rate, are much more social, and can exist in much harsher conditions than any other predator, with the possible exception of a Hyena. If you stuck a wild Lion in the jungle, it'd adapt, if you stuck a wild Tiger in to Africa, it could not exist without human intervention [as proven in the past, by those that have tried to introduce Tiger's to Africa].

Lions wish they were as efficient as Leopards. Look at the Puma, now that's an adaptable animal, you can find it anywhere in the American continent.

DaBoi, you're giving animals human characteristics, they're not vindictive or evil.
Last edited by hugo on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
last.fm/hugo| "I said: HOW DID YOU WAKE UP THIS MORNIN'?" | Best Albums 2Q|14 :: 1992 Again
hugo
HAL 9000

Postby PosziMC2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:57 pm

hugo wrote:
Wayne wrote:If you stuck a Lion and a Tiger together, the Tiger would invariably win, simply because its more powerful [at least the Siberian version].

Lions wish they were as efficient as Leopards. Look at the Puma, now that's an adaptable animal, you can find it anywhere in the American continent.
Praise it.

Lions stay the basic pop single in the dozens of masterpieces.

PosziMC2
Legend

Postby Wayne » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:04 pm

hugo wrote:Lions wish they were as efficient as Leopards. Look at the Puma, now that's an adaptable animal, you can find it anywhere in the American continent.

DaBoi, you're giving animals human characteristics, they're not vindictive or evil.
We're talking about Lions vs. Tigers.

If you want to factor in Leopards, then lets do so; Leopards have a higher kill rate than Lions, and are faster. They could probably also adapt better in a changing environment. But they are solitary hunters and are much, much less powerful. Lions hunt in prides, and are much more likely to hold on to their kills - in fact, 80% Leopard kills will go to Lions or Hyenas [National Geographic - :lol:]

Leopards are my favourite big cat, I think; they are so beautiful, and the instinct of the mother to protect her young is amazing. But the chance of a lion cub making it to adult hood is much higher than that of a leopard cub.

Overall, Lion wins out again.
a game for the fool,
a comedy for the rich,
a tragedy for the poor.

Sholom Aleichem
Wayne
Legend

Postby Merci » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Con los terroristas 8-)
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby Serby » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Merci wrote:Con los terroristas 8-)
You hate that song, so I have to ask what's up??
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby jio » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:28 pm

Why is the EU still called the EU? Shouldn't it be called The Fourth Reich or the Holy Roman Empire Reboot? It suits it much better...
jio
Legend

Postby Gagich » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Today I made myself a fortune telling method! :D When I get up, I put my mp3 on shuffle and depending on what the song`s like/about, that`s how my day will go by... :lol: Today the song was B`s "Baby Boy" and my day was fabulous! 8-) Let`s see how long my fortune telling method will be accurate... :lol:
Of course sometimes sh*t go down when it’s a billion dollars on an elevator!
Gagich
Drunk In Love

Postby Rihab95 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:09 pm

jio wrote:Why is the EU still called the EU? Shouldn't it be called The Fourth Reich?
Commondearth >>>
Last edited by Rihab95 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In diesem Moment..
Rihab95
Legend

Postby Rihab95 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:31 pm

I can see Jennifer Lawrence becoming one of the most successful actresses of all time.
In diesem Moment..
Rihab95
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Rihab95 wrote:I can see Jennifer Lawrence becoming one of the most successful actresses of all time.
Me too. She's intelligent, down to earth, humorous, and has gained so much acclaim at such a young age! It's mind-boggling that she's only 22!
My Favourite Artists [#10]

"With Felix now back on top, normality, it seems, has been restored."
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Play » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm planning to release my debut album titled Drunk Version Of Events sometime 16 November this year.
Play
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Play wrote:I'm planning to release my debut album titled Drunk Version Of Events sometime 16 November this year.
Not u getting blocked my Rihsus her 8th album.

PosziMC2
Legend

Postby Rihab95 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:11 pm

PosziMC2 wrote:
Play wrote:I'm planning to release my debut album titled Drunk Version Of Events sometime 16 November this year.
Not in Australia. :lol:
In diesem Moment..
Rihab95
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Rihab95 wrote:
PosziMC2 wrote:
Knowing P!nk...Image

PosziMC2
Legend

Postby Timmy94 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:18 pm

PosziMC2 wrote:
Rihab95 wrote:
PosziMC2 wrote:
Knowing P!nk...Image
You think The Truth About Love could still be No. 1 by then :o :lol: ...

-----

Writing my English major course a-level exam tomorrow :o ... Next Monday Politics/Economy major course and Wednesday Maths basic course :oops: !
Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.
Timmy94
Legend

Return to This 'n' That