Mariah Carey

Moderators: tdc2000, Wayne, UKMusicLova, Benjamin, stevyy

Postby SG1401 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 pm

if IDJ are so desperate to keep mariah on their label then they actually need to make this album a success comercially at least
SG1401
Superstar

Postby xmel05 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 pm

maybe the album is called dreams
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

xmel05
Manager

Postby Eamon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 pm

UKLamb_1 wrote:The AH news doesn't surprise me, BUT why did they announce they would treat it as a single?. Why not just state Mariah is doing this alongside her album but loved the song so much etc etc?.
From FOMM:

The movie doesn't exist to promote the song. It's the other way around. Disney invested at least $200 million in this film. Their last live action film ("John Carter") bombed domestically harder than Adam's Sandler razzie winning "Jack & Jill".

Disney's main concern is to do whatever they can to ensure this film does well. One of their ways of doing that was recruiting Mariah Carey to sing the theme song, talk about the movie (possibly while she's on a primetime TV show like American Idol??), release a music video that incorporates clips from the movie, etc.

Rarely do these big budget movie trailers include the theme song in them and that's because they're worked on months in advance, sometimes before the film itself is finished being edited. Case in point: "Skyfall", featuring the Oscar and Golden Globe best original song winner and the biggest star in the world. Is the song in the trailer? No.

I was also hoping that the song might be featured in some of the TV spots, but it's not like they're using another pop song (like The Lumineers "Ho Hey" in the "Silver Linings Playbook" TV spots). They clearly have a creative vision for the movie and its marketing campaign and none of it is done "purposely" to set Mariah up for failure.
Eamon
Legend

Postby Brad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 pm

Not another perfume for her to talk about. Sigh.
Brad
Winter Is Coming

Postby ForeverYoung » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:34 pm

Eamon wrote:They haven't treated her great but she's a legend and of course they would want her on their label.
Absolutely. It's not just any artist, it's MARIAH fukcing CAREY. They had better do their job right this new era if they want Mariah to stay.
ForeverYoung
Manager

Postby lush » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Eamon wrote:
lush wrote:Ooh that pic is gorgeous! Hope there's a tv commercial to go with it be:)
That would be nice.

Remember they used the instrumental of "For The Record" for her first perfume commercial.
Yeah I was obsessed with the instrumental!

I loved how the M commercial and the one for E=MC2 was always shown on tv. Great promo.
lush
Superstar

Postby MAM » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Whilst you may not like the side projects, they help her to put out new music especially when her latest albums have not been commercial blockbusters.
Put your MAMmary glands up MAMacitas!! TEAM #lookslikeit

Follow me on twitter: @madaboutmariah
MAM
Manager

Postby MCdoitbig » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:41 pm

WOW, the woman her hand in the pot of sooooo many things, always. Way to divert our attention off album news, by announcing another side project, huh, Mimi? :lol:
"The Art of Letting Go" 11/11!
MCdoitbig
Manager

Postby Eamon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:43 pm

More news. Different version of "Almost Home" for the end credits:

MichaeL JeffreY (⌣̈) ‏@MyCooL03MC
@gillesakacake just watched 'Oz'. #AlmostHome .. new intro, additional background vocals, new arrangements at times, no climax & diff ending
Eamon
Legend

Postby UKLamb_1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:52 pm

Eamon wrote:
UKLamb_1 wrote:The AH news doesn't surprise me, BUT why did they announce they would treat it as a single?. Why not just state Mariah is doing this alongside her album but loved the song so much etc etc?.
From FOMM:

The movie doesn't exist to promote the song. It's the other way around. Disney invested at least $200 million in this film. Their last live action film ("John Carter") bombed domestically harder than Adam's Sandler razzie winning "Jack & Jill".

Disney's main concern is to do whatever they can to ensure this film does well. One of their ways of doing that was recruiting Mariah Carey to sing the theme song, talk about the movie (possibly while she's on a primetime TV show like American Idol??), release a music video that incorporates clips from the movie, etc.

Rarely do these big budget movie trailers include the theme song in them and that's because they're worked on months in advance, sometimes before the film itself is finished being edited. Case in point: "Skyfall", featuring the Oscar and Golden Globe best original song winner and the biggest star in the world. Is the song in the trailer? No.

I was also hoping that the song might be featured in some of the TV spots, but it's not like they're using another pop song (like The Lumineers "Ho Hey" in the "Silver Linings Playbook" TV spots). They clearly have a creative vision for the movie and its marketing campaign and none of it is done "purposely" to set Mariah up for failure.
That doesn't answer my question. Are they saying IDJ said they would treat it as a single just to get buzz for the film?. She could have created buzz for the film by doing what she's doing now (Music video and random interviews). The way IDJ announced it was like it would be promoted everywhere by Mariah.
“Mariah also dumped her longtime assistant Louise by shoving her out of a car in downtown Manhattan.”
UKLamb_1
Manager

Postby Eamon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 pm

^ "Disney, Carey and Island Def Jam plan to launch a promotional campaign to support the single, the video and the film."

The song was mentioned on two TV shows last Friday, on GMA a few weeks ago, she mentioned it on Ryan Seacrest and a video is coming.

So it is a tool to promote the film. And clearly she had her own album coming before she got involved in this so it was obvious that she wasn't going to be doing a huge amount of promo.

I am surprised she isn't performing it on TV. But I guess that wasn't part of the promo plan.
Eamon
Legend

Postby UKLamb_1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 am

^ The 2 TV interviews were hardly about AH, just a fleeting mention that she had a song out. I really expected full interviews dedicated to the song (and idol). I'm not fussed either way as I'd rather we get on with the album now. I just think the press released pushed it a bit too much and that will confuse people.
“Mariah also dumped her longtime assistant Louise by shoving her out of a car in downtown Manhattan.”
UKLamb_1
Manager

Postby Eamon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:04 am

UKLamb_1 wrote:^ The 2 TV interviews were hardly about AH, just a fleeting mention that she had a song out. I really expected full interviews dedicated to the song (and idol). I'm not fussed either way as I'd rather we get on with the album now. I just think the press released pushed it a bit too much and that will confuse people.
No they weren't about AH but she mentioned it, she said she had a song out for "Oz The Great And Powerful" on Kelly & Michael and on Jimmy Fallon, it was mentioned too at the end of the show.

Maybe there will be more promo in the coming days. But I don't think anyone expected a major promo push. I at the most thought we might get a TV performance and that would be it.
Eamon
Legend

Postby JoeMCfan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:28 am

Another fragrance!! :lol: :lol: #dead Mariah just release the fricken album!

At least the bottle looks nice.
Never argue with a fool. He will bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

-Joe-

TWITTER @mrjb88
JoeMCfan
Manager

Postby CasualFlow » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:34 am

xmel05 wrote:maybe the album is called dreams
I've been trying to think of an album title I like that's in the vein of Mariah's past themes like Daydream and Butterfly and Rainbow, etc. and on the way home from work tonight, listening to an old Bee Gees album, a title came to me - "Wildflower". I really like it. It's got that sweet, sentimental one word Mariah'ness about it but not too corny or cheesy. What do you think?
CasualFlow
Superstar

Postby Eamon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:34 am

Eamon
Legend

Postby Brad » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:38 am

Weird photoshopping.
Brad
Winter Is Coming

Postby CasualFlow » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:40 am

I really like it. I never tire of her armpits....

Seriously. :D
CasualFlow
Superstar

Postby JoeMCfan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:41 am

CasualFlow wrote:
I've been trying to think of an album title I like that's in the vein of Mariah's past themes like Daydream and Butterfly and Rainbow, etc. and on the way home from work tonight, listening to an old Bee Gees album, a title came to me - "Wildflower". I really like it. It's got that sweet, sentimental one word Mariah'ness about it but not too corny or cheesy. What do you think?
Too many "Lotus" vibes.....though I do long for a one or two word album title again. MOAIA was just too much, often mispronounced, and required such an explanation which barely made sense.

She does look odd in that picture.
Never argue with a fool. He will bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

-Joe-

TWITTER @mrjb88
JoeMCfan
Manager

Postby MCdoitbig » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:44 am

She looks gorgeous, and i'm sure i'll buy the perfume for a relative or friend, as i've supported her since she's been doing them. But, I want the freakin single, then the album!!
"The Art of Letting Go" 11/11!
MCdoitbig
Manager

Postby sYair » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:45 am

Nice picture, but I couldn't care less about her perfumes. Not even if I wanted to buy it, they don't sell that stuff close to where I live.
♥ Mariah Carey - Celine Dion ♥
* Madonna - Jennifer Lopez - Shakira - Enrique Iglesias - Pink - Lady Gaga - Christina Aguilera - Britney Spears *
sYair
Personal Assistant

Postby CasualFlow » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:47 am

JoeMCfan wrote:
CasualFlow wrote:
Too many "Lotus" vibes.....though I do long for a one or two word album title again. MOAIA was just too much, often mispronounced, and required such an explanation which barely made sense.

She does look odd in that picture.
^^ Eww, now you ruined it for me. :evil: "Lotus" is a flower I take it? Nasty prickly thing...oh, right, that's a cactus, anyway, I imagine a field of vulnerable, swaying, wild-red poppies.

http://www.google.com/search?q=poppies& ... 03&bih=651
CasualFlow
Superstar

Postby Dior » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:01 am

I'm still in the camp that would be more than pleased if she simply named this album "Mariah".

"Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel" sounded so contrived. Her worst album title by far.
Bsquared wrote:I hate to disagree with you @Dior because you are so handsome.
Dior
Manager

Postby Eamon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:10 am

Mariah before Idol tonight:

Eamon
Legend

Postby Lorenzo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:11 am

Wow
Lorenzo
Superstar

Return to General Artists Discussion