Lady Gaga | Applause

Moderators: Spartan, king_oxymoron, crazyman324

Postby Migrate » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:19 pm

She looks so graceful in the white flowing veil scenes ... And the way she claps at 2:52 is so cute ^^
Migrate
Manager

Postby MrRager » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:26 pm

What the hell did I just watch
A MIDDLE FINGER TO THE SKY
MrRager
Superstar

Postby joiPrince_JO » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:31 pm

MrRager wrote:What the hell did I just watch
:lol: :lol: :lol: i know right
I went to the deset in a helocotper, ive menshened my singel in entervews mawer than twise times. I meen, u jus cant compeet wiv me in turms of promo.
joiPrince_JO
Superstar

Postby Jesper » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jesper
Legend

Postby theArmy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:36 pm

you'll be asking that after RnR premieres tomorrow too :lol: :lol:
WORST VIDEO OF THE YEAR - HELLO KITTY!! HELL YAHS #whenwillurfavez
theArmy
Superstar

Postby Damiennatas1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:36 pm

Putting the grungy weirdness to one side and this video is amazing! Second and third time watching it and it's all what Gaga is about! But one thing that's been missing from her videos since Telephone was the oomph, and this has oomph and more! Soooooo happy 8-)
Libby Chessler wrote:Ew.
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby joiPrince_JO » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:37 pm

theArmy wrote:
you'll be asking that after RnR premieres tomorrow too :lol: :lol:
But in a far more positive way 8-)
I went to the deset in a helocotper, ive menshened my singel in entervews mawer than twise times. I meen, u jus cant compeet wiv me in turms of promo.
joiPrince_JO
Superstar

Postby theArmy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:15 pm

after b!tchin about it the whole day, it grew on me after watching it for the 7th time. I'd rate it as 'enjoyable' (5/10) now :D

the song is still amazing though :cry:
WORST VIDEO OF THE YEAR - HELLO KITTY!! HELL YAHS #whenwillurfavez
theArmy
Superstar

Postby Migrate » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Haha :D
Migrate
Manager

Postby loxi » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:51 pm

It's AMAZING. Definitely love it. The dance, hat, matress and blond Gaga scenes are the best by far.

I think it's just a fun fun video. Couldn't stop laughing. It was short, fun, and very pop. I think the aesthetic and the way it was filmed added a lot too (the smoke was amazing).

In the end, I think it is what people have been expecting from her. Short, fun, no message. Just music. And it brings the sing to life, which is the true meaning of videos.

*However I don't get the hate for BTW videos: personally, MTN, Judas and Y&I are all superb.
loxi
Groupie

Postby Charter2000 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Up to #5 on US itunes.
Charter2000
Manager

Postby Pompeii » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:13 pm

The video is not as bad as people make it out to be.
Pompeii
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Pompeii wrote:The video is not as bad as people make it out to be.
:-? Most people have said it's good. :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby ginnyfan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Both Gaga (in one of the radio interviews) and now Interscope on Twitter describe the video as ''A fashion, pop, performance art FANTASIA''. The whole time I had a feeling it reminds me of something (animal parts in particular) but couldn't quite put a finger on it. It's Disney's 1940 masterpiece Fantasia.
BRUSHES WITH DARKNESS WON'T HELP YOU CREATE
ginnyfan
Superstar

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:43 pm

ginnyfan wrote:The whole time I had a feeling it reminds me of something (animal parts in particular) but couldn't quite put a finger on it. It's Disney's 1940 masterpiece Fantasia.
Hmm I have to disagree there, I don't see it, they probably mean the words definition a composition in fanciful or irregular form or style (which I also disagree with), not the actual film. :wink:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby crazyman324 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:57 pm

I LOVE the song and the video is brilliant.
crazyman324
The Ringleader

Postby Vindrag » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:08 am

Cactuar wrote:OH MY GOD THIS VIDEO.

I just can't stop smiling, it's just so f***ing wonderful. It's one of her bests, it's ridiculous, it's almost as if she's parodying the image people have of her, but she makes it into art, and it's just so stunning and amazing! Her dancing has gotten flawless!

Great work to Inez and Vinoodh, they were also responsible to some extent for the art in Bjork's Biophilia I believe. Amazing, amazing, amazing.
Yes, I agree here! Fantastic video, and I quite like the song now. Will I purchase it however? No. Good luck to GaGa! :D
Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
and you are no exception
Vindrag
Legend

Postby Vindrag » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:13 am

OK guys! I changed my mind, purchasing this now, because I really like GaGa and the song is obviously a grower! :D
It went from non-existent to gruesome to a ? to catchy to interesting to fun to luscious!!

#teamgaga
Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
and you are no exception
Vindrag
Legend

Postby Cless » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:16 am

I prefer blasting this song in my speakers. The way she sings kinda bothers me when I listen to it in my headphones. :lol:
Isn't it hard to make up your mind when you're losing, and your fuse is fireside?

LAST.FM
Cless
Superstar

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:18 am

Yes for her not making a 18 minute video for a song that only is 3 minutes.
So let me get you in ya burrrffffday suit....
....It's time to bring out dabig baaaaaalloooooons
ThaInfo1
Superstar

Postby tada » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:43 am

good video, i would rather, however, welcome more storyline into the set.
tada
Legend

Postby mattsky » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:57 am

This is a great fun video! So much better than her 20 min over the top ones!
50 Words For Snow
mattsky
Superstar

Postby Gagich » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:23 am

"Applause" co-director explains music video

Inez van Lamsweerde, co-director of Lady Gaga’s Applause music video spilled some details of the meaning behind the singers music video to MTV News.

So, while fans might find their own meanings in the visual, MTV News spoke to Inez van Lamsweerde, one half of the directing duo Inez & Vinoodh, about the video. “She’ll do anything in this video to make her audience happy and give them inspiration,” Inez said on the phone, hours after the premiere, noting that she and Vinoodh were inspired by silent movies and early horror films. “We wanted to bring it back to a very basic element.”

She added, “There were all these kinds of, let’s say, tricks in there, but then the big idea was really to have her symbolize this moment of her hip breaking. That’s why she’s sort of holding up her right leg as a trophy and this idea that no matter what it takes, she’ll get back onstage.”

Inez broke down the video’s key scenes for MTV News.

The Clam Bikini
She explained that “we were extremely inspired by Botticelli’s painting,” for that look where Gaga appears in a clam shell bikini, her curls cascading around her shoulders. She added “[We were also inspired by] having this idea that she goes through this struggle to go back onstage, which is in that pink laser tower. And she’s sort of dragging that leg as a trophy and making it back on stage as a fully-realized, complete new person and that’s why the Botticelli came to mind.”

The Black Swan
The scene where Gaga’s head appears on a black swan was not inspired by the Darren Aronofsky film, but instead more by Gaga’s fascination with eggs. “She’s always had the egg reference in her work and since this video is kind of about a rebirth and at the end there’s the Botticelli ‘Birth of Venus’ reference, so we said, ‘OK, an egg… a fur egg and what comes out of a fur egg?‘ In our minds, a black swan with her face on it,” Inez said.

That Other Bikini
For a song like “Applause,” the directors knew they needed a way to get hands in there so they found the most unexpected way to do it. She said, “The glove-kini! That’s Brandon Maxwell, her fashion director that had that made. The song’s called ‘Applause.’ There had to be hands.”

Cat Walk
Inez explained the fashion show was all Gaga’s idea. “She always had it in her head that she wanted to do a fashion show, where she would be flying instead of walking. She always been incredibly inspired by fashion and its energy, so it felt extremely [right] to have that part of her life represented,” she said, noting the crew knew they wanted her in Galliano for that scene.

Bed Bug
While much of the video verges on the wacky, it’s held together by scenes where Gaga writhes around on her bed.

“Originally it was meant to be a tiny vignette in the video that would look back at a past time in her life when she was fresh out of school and living in the Lower East Side and dreamt of whatever her future would be,”
Inez explained. “And that was there to represent that. She used to have that kind of hair when she was 18, 19, so we said that’s that past moment. When we started shooting it, it felt so great we said ‘Let’s do the whole song on this mattress and do the choreography laying down.’ And she performed so incredibly it felt [like] such a real, raw feeling. It made it as the thread through the whole video. That’s the real and the rest is sort of the dreams she had.”
Gagich
Little Monster

Postby kushi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:36 am

I can't be bothered reading that, but it's good to know that there's a story behind each element of the video!

Really loving Applause after the video dropped. It's been on repeat.
Spartan wrote:I just saw a brown woman singing and assumed it was Dreamgirls. :oops:
kushi
Legend

Postby ThomyX » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks for posting that explanation, Gagich! :D I haven't realized she's carrying a leg in those pink scenes but I see it now, nice to know what it means. :) I kinda hoped for a more serious meaning behind the swan element lol (but it's still my favourite part of the video). :lol:
KM2014 - Kiss Me Once
ThomyX
Superstar

Return to Pure Pop