Ian Thorpe set to make a comeback

Moderator: king_oxymoron

Postby kushi » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:22 am

Australian swimming genius Ian Thorpe has reaffirmed he will quit after the Beijing Olympics, saying his chances of appearing at the event four years later in London were 100,000 to one.

Thorpe told the Herald Sun Thursday that his chances of swimming in London Olympics was "about 100,000 to one".

The five-time Olympic gold medallist said before that he wanted to get back to his world beating best and has set his sights on the world swimming championships in Melbourne next year and Beijing as his final swansongs.

His last international meet was at the Athens Olympics. The 23-year-old has won a record-equalling 10 Commonwealth gold medals, but he was forced out of the Games here on the eve of the event with a severe respiratory ailment.
:(
hugo wrote:
Timmy94 wrote:The year The Dutchess and LAMB dominated was such a great chapter in the history of music
2004 and 2006 aren't the same year.
kushi
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:19 am

Worst kept secret in Aussie sport right now I reckon!

I'm not surprised, the guy's been at an elite level for close to 10 years now - he's been involved in swimming all his life (and I have proof of that since I went to primary school with him & he won all the swim races for our sports house in school :lol: ), it's time to call it quits. Besides, he's got a ton of media stuff to do, it's not like he'll be out of a job once he gives swimming the heave-ho!
Best Female Moderator of 2013
Virgostar
On Vacation

Postby kushi » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:28 am

Virgostar wrote:and I have proof of that since I went to primary school with him & he won all the swim races for our sports house in school.
WoW :o Thats really cool! :D
hugo wrote:
Timmy94 wrote:The year The Dutchess and LAMB dominated was such a great chapter in the history of music
kushi
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:30 pm

And I went to high school with a Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs rugby league footballer too :wink: (cept I don't know whether you watch that/he's been on air that much or in the first grade side)
Best Female Moderator of 2013
Virgostar
On Vacation

Postby kushi » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:29 am

Virgostar wrote::wink: (cept I don't know whether you watch that
haha nope! :P
hugo wrote:
kushi
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Perhaps a mod can update the title..thanks...

Thorpe expected to make comeback

Swimming: Five-time Olympic champion Ian Thorpe is expected to announce his return to competitive swimming tomorrow. The Australian is hoping to compete at the London Olympics next year.

Thorpe's manager Dave Flaskas confirmed that Thorpe would hold a news conference in Sydney to discuss his future, though would not confirm what would be said.

The 'Thorpedo' retired from the pool in 2006 and he has knocked down several media reports since then which said he was considering a comeback.

Flaskas, however, told a Sydney newspaper last month that Thorpe had returned to the pool to help in the rehabilitation of a shoulder injury, and it was apparent the 28-year-old still had "competitive juices".

Since then media speculation has gone into overdrive about Thorpe returning to the pool in time for London, though he would need to register for Swimming Australia's drug testing regime by the end of May in order to compete at the trials next March.
irishguy28

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:45 am

Thorpedo confirms London Olympics bid

Ian Thorpe speaks to the media to announce his return to swimming for the 2012 London Olympic Games. Photograph: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

Swimming: Ian Thorpe has confirmed he will come out of retirement and return to international swimming in a bid to compete at the 2012 London Olympics. Thorpe, who walked away from elite swimming four years ago, made the announcement at a packed media conference in Sydney today.

The 28-year-old, nicknamed "The Thorpedo", revealed he reached his decision in September and has been training in eight different Sydney pools in a bid to keep his comeback a secret.

He says good friend Geoff Huegill's successful return to the pool at the Delhi Commonwealth Games and a visit to the Olympic venue in London reignited his passion for the sport.

"It hasn't been something that I have taken lightly in making a decision to return to competitive swimming but I actually made a decision in September," Thorpe said.

"When I made that decision I was flying over the Atlantic and I then went on to not being able to say anything because I was actually commentating for the BBC so it was sitting in my gut for a while.

"I was then taken to see the swimming venue for the London Olympics. It's an extraordinary venue and I could actually taste it ... and I haven't felt this way about swimming for a very long time.

"I didn't at any stage get back into the pool to get fit. I didn't get back in the pool for any other reason than to be back at the stage of being able to compete at an elite level.

"So when I initiated the training I promised myself first to train for three days without pulling the pin on it, then I said if I got through that I would give myself three weeks, and if I got through three weeks I'll go for three months then make a decision about this."

Thorpe, who collected nine Olympic medals including five gold, 11 World Championship gold medals and 10 Commonwealth golds before retiring, will be based in Abu Dhabi in a bid to avoid the media spotlight in Australia.

Australian head coach Leigh Nugent, who has been coaching Thorpe via text message since September, will continue to oversee his training from Australia in conjunction with other unnamed international coaches.

Thorpe plans to target the 100m and 200m freestyle relays but would not rule out contesting the 100m and 200m individual events should he successfully qualify at the Olympic trials next March.

He also indicated he may continue swimming beyond the London Olympics.

"I never thought this would happen," Thorpe said. "I never thought that I'd be swimming in a competitive way.

"I'm very glad that I am. I've spent four years away from the pool and I needed those four years. I'm back in and I am happy with what I am doing."

Australia's most successful Olympian dabbled in television presenting, fashion design and a wide range of business ventures over the last four years.

He now has 19 months to prepare for his third Olympic Games but must wait nine months before he can return to international competition.

Under FINA regulations, competitors must be registered for drug testing for at least nine months before returning to competitive swimming, meaning Thorpe must apply by May in order to contest the Olympic trials next March.
irishguy28

Postby oasisbobo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:59 pm

This is great news :D Always been a fan of his :)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby leegrace » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:26 am

Thanks for this news, i am very happy.. :lol:
leegrace
Groupie

Postby android » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Sometimes I think maybe former champions should go out when their on top. Still I hope he does well
android
Superstar

Postby irishguy28 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:57 pm

android wrote:Sometimes I think maybe former champions should go out when their on top. Still I hope he does well
He did go out when he was on top...

Do you mean you think he should have stayed out?
irishguy28

Postby android » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:24 pm

irishguy28 wrote:
android wrote:Sometimes I think maybe former champions should go out when their on top. Still I hope he does well
He did go out when he was on top...

Do you mean you think he should have stayed out?
yep :P thats what I mean
android
Superstar

Postby Marshall » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:25 pm

Go Thorpedo! Great news! :D
Find me on Last.fm
Marshall
Legend

Return to Sport