- Shakira has sold over 60 million albums worldwide, over 9m just in the US.
- She has sold over 100 million records.
- Highest selling international artist in Spain, this decade.
- Her first spanish album, “Pies Descalzos” achieved great success, getting
sales of over 5 million.
- Her second spanish album, “Donde Están Los Ladrones?” has sold over 7
million of copies, over 1 million of copies in the US being a Spanish album.
- She made a wonderful MTV Unplugged, which sold over 5 million of copies.
- Her crossover album, Laundry Service, has sold over 13 million of copies worldwide.
- The song "Whenever Wherever" sold over 8.5 singles worldwide.
According to mediatraffic, this was the highest selling song in 2002.
- Her spanish album, Oral Fixation Vol. 1, debuted 4 in Billboard 200, and has
sold over 4 million copies.
- Her first single from this CD "La Tortura", with Alejandro Sanz, stayed total
of 25 weeks #1 in the Hot Latin Tracks on the billboard charts. Which broke records!
- Her second English album, Oral Fixation 2, was one of the most sold albums in the
year 2006 in USA.
- "Hips Don't Lie", her most successful single in the american market, was the
most downloaded song of 2006, and the most successful song
worldwide of that year.
- It reached the number one spot in at least 55 countries, and has sold over
10 million copies, over 2 in the USA Alone.
- It became the fastest song to reach a million digital sales, selling them in 9
weeks in the US.
- This single, helped Oral Fixation 2 to become certified platinum in the USA,
selling over 8 million copies world-wide.
- Although her sixth album, She Wolf, wasn't as successful in the US, it peaked
at 15 in the Hot 200 reaching moderate success and provided us singles like
She Wolf (platinum), Did It Again, Gypsy, and Give It Up To Me (gold). It has sold over 2 million copies worldwide.
- Her 7th album, "Sale el Sol" has sold over 2 million copies worldwide. It debuted
7th in US billboard charts, being an album mostly in spanish, and reached
the top spot in the latin albums category.
- Her first single from this cd, Loca, went to number one in over 33
countries, and reached number one on Latin Songs, Dance Songs, Latin Pop
Songs and Tropical songs in the US billboards chart.
- Her second single, "Sale el Sol" achieved great success in all Latin America.
- Her third single, “Rabiosa”, collaboration with Pitbull was an international hit, charting really high in many countries, including #1 in
19 countries and its video reached over 20,000,000 views on youtube in the
first week of released.
- Her most recent DVD “Live in Paris” has achieved great success overseas. So far, it has sold a little over 500,000 copies.
- Her latest single in France, "Je L'aime a Mourir" has achieved massive success in France. It has been the top selling single in France for 7 weeks, and has been on top of the charts in the country for the same amout of time.
- Winner of at least 274 awards worldwide.
- Nominated for over 309 awards worldwide.
- Among the most important awards, we can stress 2 Grammys, 9 Latin
Grammys, 4 American Music Awards, 6 Billboard Music Awards, 12 Latin
MTV Awards and 5 MTV Video Music Awards.
- In 2011, she was awarded with a star in Hollywood’s Walk Of Fame for her
talent and achievements in the music industry.
-Also in 2011, she was recognized as Latin Grammy’s Person Of The year, an
award that has been given only to legends of Hispanic music. Names like Julio
Iglesias, Gloria Estefan, Juan Gabriel and just a few others have been able to
achieve this much in the Spanish market.
- In 2007, she was nominated for a Golden Globe as Best Original Song-
Motion Picture for “Despedida”.
- According to Forbes, she's one of the singers that earn the most money
- In 2008 was the 4th highest earning woman in music.
- She has also been recognized and awarded for her social labor on top of
her musical achievements.
- Shakira is the only Sudamerican artist to reach the number 1
spot in the US Billboard Hot 100.
- According to Sony, she’s the highest-selling Colombian artist of all time.
- She has managed to stay relevant in the international market for around 20
-The first Colombian to receive a star in Hollywood’s Walk Of Fame.
- With “La Tortura”, she became the FIRST LATIN ARTIST to sing a spanish
song in the MTV Video Music Awards, and being nominated with a Spanish
- Her video for Waka Waka is one of the most watched music videos on
youtube ever, having over 400 millions plays. If we sum the Spanish version
views, they go up to almost 500 millions. The song achieved massive success
in Latin America, Spain, France and other parts of Europe.
- This video, made her become the third person to achieve over 250,000,000
views on youtube, just after Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber
- This theme was chosen as the theme song for the 2010 FIFA World and is
the biggest selling World Cup Song of all times.
- She’s the 4th most followed person on twitter, and the most followed latin.
At the moment, she has over 112 million followers.
-Her channel in youtube is the 8th most viewed in the worldwide music area with
over 1.3 billions of views.
- She’s an amazing dancer, and constantly shows it in her videos and
- She speaks Spanish, English, Portuguese, French, Italian, and Arabic.
- She can play guitar, harmonica, drums, and percussion.
- She’s an impressive writer, producer, and composer.
- When she was young she acted in a Colombian mini-series, and has
appeared in series like the successful Ugly Betty, Wizards of Waverly Place
and Dora the Explorer. She even recorded a song for the last one.
- She’s also an incredibly intelligent woman. She studied History Of Western Civilization, at UCLA. Also, has a high IQ!
- She’s a successful business woman, backed up by the success of her 2
- She debuted as an editor for her father’s book “Al Viento y Al Azar” in 2011.
- Since 1995 she has the “Barefoot Foundation”, formed to
help poor children mainly from Colombia, but also from other third-world
- Her foundation aids the system of her country, Haiti and South Africa
providing education and meals for over 6,000 children.
- The money of this foundation comes mainly from contributions by Shakira,
coming from either her pocket or auctions of her clothes and guitars, and
donations from other national and international companies that admire her
- She was named by the President of The United States, Barack Obama a member
of the President's Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics.
-She’s one of the founders of Latin America In Solidarity Action (ALAS in Spanish),
A coalition of artists and business leaders seeking to promote integrated early
Childhood public policies
- She has participated in important events for donation, including a
presentation for “ALAS”, in an event that donated over 40 million dollars to
the people of Peru and Nicaragua.
- Apart from this she has performed in a huge amount of important benefit
- In 2003,she became Goodwill Ambassador of UNICEF.
- She was also one of the artists who sang in the Spanish version of the
event “25 for Haiti”, which collected money to help Haiti after the big
earthquake they suffered in 2010.
- Her foundation helped rebuild one of Haiti’s historic public schools after
the earthquake, donating $800,000 for reconstruction and new suplies
- She was one of guests to make a song for charity called "Sing" with Anni
Lennox, in which artists of the caliber of Madonna and Pink also participated.
- She's also part of FIFA's "1 goal for education" campaign, which has the objective
of improve education, constructing educational and sports facilities.
While, she may no longer be able to compete with these young popstars in today's music industry, she's been in the music business for 20 years! She's truly one of a kind and is the most influential Latina in the music business on a global scale.
Live Fast, Die Young, Bad Girls Do It Well.