Rihanna

Moderators: tdc2000, Wayne, UKMusicLova, Benjamin, stevyy

Postby abi » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 am

Chris still has Karimashu as his girlfriend, don't forget.
abi
Legend

Postby Rihab95 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:34 pm

Anybody knows if she has a driving license?! :oops: :lol:
In diesem Moment..
Rihab95
Legend

Postby RapUpPlayer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Rihab95 wrote:Anybody knows if she has a driving license?! :oops: :lol:
No
RapUpPlayer
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:40 pm

I knew it from the moment the collaboration was anounced.
Are you ready for a perfect storm? #Madonna13
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Giamma » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:19 pm

Rihanna backlash should focus on Chris Brown

CNN: "Blame-the-victim mentality has to stop"
(Rihanna) (CNN) -- On the eve of the Grammys in 2009, when news surfaced that singer Chris Brown assaulted his girlfriend, Rihanna, the cruel reality of violence against women came to the forefront. Police reports, narrative accounts and photographs told a chilling tale of what happened that night.

In the ensuing months, Rihanna's responses to the violence she received faced public scrutiny. Everyone hoped that she would do what most of us believed was the right thing to do: Leave the relationship. When she did eventually leave, there was a collective admiration for her ability to move on, which sent a clear message that violence against women is wrong. She was lauded as a role model to women and young girls, and became a celebrity symbol of strength and survivorship.

Fast-forward to today.

Rihanna is collaborating with Brown again. Some people are mad and disapprove of her decision to let Brown back into her life, especially given the "role model" status that had been assigned to her. Personally, I am not outraged. Before you think I'm a fan of Brown (I'm not), here's my rationale: Rihanna did not ask to be a role model, no more than she asked to be abused.

In the United States, one in three women experiences violence. Rihanna is unfortunately one of these women. Like other abused women, she is being judged unfairly for her relationship with her abusive former partner.

One of the first things people ask after learning that a woman has been abused is, "Why don't you just leave?" While this is a seemingly innocuous suggestion, it really isn't that simple. When a woman leaves and then returns to her partner or tries to stay on amicable terms, she can elicit a backlash. No wonder some people have commented that Rihanna must "enjoy being abused."

I don't know anyone who enjoys being abused. What I do know is that domestic violence is a vicious cycle. Leaving an abusive partner is a process that can take months, if not years. One woman I know stayed in her relationship for almost 25 years before she was able to finally leave.

Moreover, most women leave their partners more than once. Studies have indicated that a woman leaves her abuser an average of eight times before leaving permanently. We cannot be certain, but it is possible that Rihanna is still in the process of leaving. Thus, the fact that she and Brown are working together now after the incident of three years ago is not surprising.

However, the bigger issue is Brown's lack of accountability in all of this. Even in a society where many of us would agree that violence against women is wrong, we hold strong patriarchal values where males are seen as more dominant and privileged than women. We hold Rihanna fully accountable as a role model and place her decisions under harsh judgment. Yet Brown is not held accountable for his ability to influence young men. Granted, even though he issued a public apology to Rihanna a few weeks after he assaulted her, his motives are less probed (certainly not by the same people who believe that Rihanna likes to be abused).

So the question everyone is asking should not be: "Why is Rihanna going back to (or working with) Chris Brown?" Rather, it should be: "What kind of messages are we sending our children when we focus on and denounce the decisions of women who have been mistreated but spare perpetrators the same level of scrutiny?" This blame-the-victim mentality has got to stop somewhere.

Editor's note: Lyndal Khaw is an assistant professor of family and child studies at Montclair State University.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/24/opini ... index.html

The bottom line is they both need professional help imho!
Giamma
Manager

Postby Giamma » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Another must-read article:

Rihanna, Chris Brown sending “dreadful” message

Even if whispers of a romantic reunion between Rihanna and Chris Brown are false, the fact relations have normalized while Brown is serving his five-year probation sentence for felony assault is the kind of slippery slope experts could have predicted.
Lucas Jackson/REUTERS file photo
Rihanna and Chris Brown did more than just flirt on Twitter or release new duets this week. They also sent a dangerous message to the world.

Three years after a horrifying incident, in which he savagely punched her, bit her, put her in a headlock and threatened to kill her, all seems to be forgiven and forgotten. In the glitzy melodrama of their willfully entangled lives, both are eager to scrub the ugly past from their shared history.

RELATED: Rihanna, Chris Brown reunite — at least on songs and Rihanna and Chris Brown reviewed: “This smells bad”

On Monday, the ex-couple unleashed remixes of two songs: Brown’s “Turn Up The Volume” and Rihanna’s “Birthday Cake.” The marketing-driven collaborations arrived in the wake of the Grammy Awards, during which Brown performed and won a trophy, suggesting the besieged music industry is also eager to forgive and forget.

But for fans of the stars, including some young women who tweeted unsettling proclamations while Brown was gyrating on the Grammy stage — “chris brown can punch me whenever he wants!” — this rekindled spark has created a harmful blind spot to the issue of domestic violence.

“The message that they are sending is that abusive men have changed when they say they are better,” says Norman Quantz, an Alberta therapist and author of It’s All About Power and Control. “And that’s a lie believed by many women.”

Or as Steven Stosny, author of Love Without Hurt, observes: “Because of their public image, it sends a dreadful message that without any kind of intervention, battering can get better. We know from a lot of research that without massive intervention it gets worse.”

Even if the whispers of a romantic reunion are false, the fact relations have normalized while Brown is serving his five-year probation sentence for felony assault is precisely the kind of slippery slope experts could have predicted.

“What we are seeing played out here is something that happens in a number of abusive relationships,” says Nancy Salamone, the founder and chief executive of The Business of Me, a program that teaches financial self-sufficiency to women trapped in violent relationships. “It takes about seven or eight times for a woman to make that break for good.”

This “rubber band effect,” as some psychologists refer to it, always triggers the same question: “Why is the woman going back?”

Walter DeKeseredy, a professor of criminology at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology in Oshawa, has been researching domestic violence for 25 years. He says that deceptively simple question often distorts the psychological complexities churning underneath a turbulent relationship.

“We can never ignore the fact that many abused women actually love the men who hit them because the men who hit them don’t always hit them,” says DeKeseredy.

While there can be situational reasons for a woman’s return, adds Stosny, affection and guilt often play a greater role: “When you talk to the women who go back, they rarely will cite fear, finances or social pressures. They will just say that they still love him.”

A misplaced feeling of remorse can also cloud judgment.

“I call this the pendulum of pain,” says Stosny. “I’m sure Rihanna’s feeling, irrationally, of course, that he suffered so much in his career because of this. (Victims of abuse) feel irrational guilt, shame and anxiety that drives them back.”

But as experts also note, domestic violence is rarely an anomalous event. Even if an abuser is able to keep his physical rage in check, the possibility of emotional abuse remains high.

DeKeseredy tells a story about a man who once viciously beat his wife with a coat hanger and then photographed her swollen and bruised back. It was the only time he was physically violent. But for years, whenever he felt the woman needed to be “kept in line,” he would stick the photo to the fridge in an act of coercive control.

Is Brown a changed man, as his handlers and family contend? Has he truly taken responsibility for his actions and received sufficient treatment over the past years? Or is he still saddled with impulse control problems, as some of his quickly deleted tweets suggest? Recall last March when he reportedly lost his cool, screamed at a TV producer and shattered a window in the green room after the assault was raised during an interview on Good Morning America.

And what about reports from 2009 indicating the assault was not the first time Brown had Rihanna had a fight?

“I would hypothesize that while he may have only hit her once, he was likely to have engaged in other forms of controlling or abusive behaviour,” says DeKeseredy. “Put it this way: The signs are always there. It just doesn’t come out of the blue.”

The grim irony is all of this Rihanna and Brown news arrives during Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month. It also comes as jurors on Wednesday found former University of Virginia lacrosse player George Huguely V guilty of second-degree murder in the 2010 death of his ex-girlfriend. Meanwhile, earlier this month, the 21-year-old son of Playboy tycoon Hugh Hefner was arrested after allegedly beating his girlfriend.

“We really believe there is an epidemic of violence and abuse in teen dating relationships,” says Beverley Wybrow, president and chief executive of the Canadian Women’s Foundation. “The research shows that one in four relationships have abuse in them.”

The challenge for educators is reaching young people before it’s too late.

“Teenagers are really inundated with media messages that glorify violence,” says Wybrow. “And then they hear about celebrities like Chris Brown who is publicly forgiven for the violence. It tends to normalize it and send a message that abuse is okay.”

Given their youth, fame and global appeal, Rihanna and Brown may be doing more than normalizing abuse.

“Are we glamorizing this issue?” asks Salamone. “Are these people saying, ‘Look at me, I’m rich, I’m gorgeous and I’m getting away with this?”

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/1 ... s-say?bn=1
Giamma
Manager

Postby Mooriah » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:02 am

She's making fun of someone's looks now? She's really gone to the gutter hasn't she? I don't know why anyone would idolise her still. She's such a rude, obnoxious twat these days.
Emeli | Taylor
Mooriah
Manager

Postby aaliyahman » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:37 am

Mooriah wrote:Image

She's making fun of someone's looks now? She's really gone to the gutter hasn't she? I don't know why anyone would idolise her still. She's such a rude, obnoxious twat these days.
Since her whole twitter answering back she has been gutter, no class at all. This is awful.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby NejcIV » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:39 am

I'm really happy that she is finally getting some backlash.
NejcIV
Manager

Postby Jesper » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:41 am

poor girl, she got death threats from some Navy people, I think she said nothing wrong, I wish Rihanna would be more polite, if she would have explained why she did the remixes, than people could form an better opinion, Rihanna should think about the fact that her fans also have opinions and are not blind.
Idc if she is a "bad b*tch" or whatever, the fans are what made her, and she should respect them instead of putting such tweets on twitter, just ignore it Rihanna, not everybody has to agree with you
Jesper
Legend

Postby Valentino » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:44 am

thats why I really love Riri,
shes just human and come on I guess its not that easy to share your problems with the world.

And its nobodys business what she does or not !

lol at #clapback
Frank Ocean
Valentino
Manager

Postby aaliyahman » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Valentino wrote:thats why I really love Riri,
shes just human and come on I guess its not that easy to share your problems with the world.

lol at #clapback
wow. If that's why you really love an artist.... :o
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby Rihab95 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Rihanna is a very nice and polite person, everyone who met her even only once knows that.

But if somebody attacks you you have the right to either defend yourself or turn the tables, Rih did nothing wrong at all.

And reading this girl's other tweets you can clearly see she's having some kind of a superiority complex without being capable of anything special, I can't stand such people.
In diesem Moment..
Rihab95
Legend

Postby Jesper » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:25 pm

Rihab95 wrote:Rihanna is a very nice and polite person, everyone who met her even only once knows that.

But if somebody attacks you you have the right to either defend yourself or turn the tables, Rih did nothing wrong at all.

And reading this girl's other tweets you can clearly see she's having some kind of a superiority complex without being capable of anything special, I can't stand such people.
The girl didn't really attacked her, sorry but she just shared her opinion and Rihanna reacted really harsh, and the other tweets were a response to what Rihanna said. The girl just found the collabo's weird and lost respect, like more people on this forum aswell, Rihanna reacted harsh and offended the girl, the girl reacted harsh and offended after that to Rihanna aswell, it's all action and reaction, but if it takes that little for Rihanna to react harsh, I guess she is an walking time bomb then.

Rihanna needs to find some help, she is gonna destroy her career that she built the last 6 years, if she is going through with this attitude. She needs to accept that not every fan has to agree with her choices, either it being a partner or being it an collaboration. It's not that Chris stole money from her or badly dumped her, he physically abused her, she needs to learn that not everybody can forgive that the way she did. DAMN Rih, I root for you, but this way you destroy more than you think you do, since I doubt most of the navy are blind sheeps that follow you to enternity.

lol at #clapback
It kinda is, we as fans made the life she has now, if she can't take the critism from her fans and other people, than she better could live under a rock, It is her life, but on the other side she has to think, she has to ignore certain things, whatever she is human or not, she also has a brain and she needs to use it.
With succes and fame comes responsibility, and I think she forgets that
Jesper
Legend

Postby Loveguru » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:32 pm

Noone really cares about Rihanna personal life so she is fine :lol:
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby NavyCommodore » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:42 pm

Rihanna has been ready for the backlash, that's why she's been doing vocal training hardcore and starting to perform the way she's always supposed to perform. At least this Chris Brown situation has caused her to become a better artist/performer, I think she knew she had to do better than before at the Grammys because of the upcoming backlash, not so much Brits.

And for those saying Rihanna is rude for telling that girl off, you can save it, Rihanna is rude, we know this, I love it. If someone said something negative about me and I have millions of twitter followers, I'd embarrass her as well...

And you guys all wanna sympathize with the girl just because she's fat, if that was a cute girl no one would care...
Rihanna
MotS "That La La La"
AGLM "S.O.S."
GGGB "Say It"
RR "Cold Case Love"
LOUD "Man Down"
TTT "Watch N' Learn"
NavyCommodore
Roadie

Postby Fan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Her Brits performance of We Found Love was so epic, absolutely loved it. Probabaly the best performance of the song to date.
I really want a You Da One performance now though, can't beliebe she hasn't done it yet!

And congrats to her for winning the award, totally deserved.
You light a spark in my bonfire heart.
Fan
Legend

Postby Jesper » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:01 pm

NavyCommodore wrote:And for those saying Rihanna is rude for telling that girl off, you can save it, Rihanna is rude, we know this, I love it. If someone said something negative about me and I have millions of twitter followers, I'd embarrass her as well...

And you guys all wanna sympathize with the girl just because she's fat, if that was a cute girl no one would care...
idc if she is fat, dark, red, light, blue, skinny or whatever, it is rude, while she did nothing wrong.

I know Rihanna is not the most pleasant talking girl, especially on twitter but to react in such way, is just awful imo.
Jesper
Legend

Postby Noahh » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:11 pm

I can understand it's tiring for her to constantly receiving tweets about how she should live her life and what she should do and shouldn't. In the end it's her life and who are we to judge...

On the other hand, she could've handled that situation better. It was obvious that there was going to be a lot of criticism coming from non-fans and most of all "the navy". I'm glad though that she's still got a lot of people that support her too!

I think she needs people to support her in this period of time. She might not make the right decisions in her personal life and music wise this era for me but still I enjoy the music and will support her! :)
Noahh
Legend

Postby MissConspiracy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:09 pm

aaliyahman wrote:
Mooriah wrote:Image

Since her whole twitter answering back she has been gutter, no class at all. This is awful.
why couldnt rihanna just ignore such negativity????? :roll:
"Music doesn't change. People change the music...."
-Whitney Elizabeth Houston
MissConspiracy
Manager

Postby ECE » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Natalia Fenty ? @TheRealPeggySue
Does that mean Rih gettin some d!ck tonight?
Rihanna Rihanna ? @rihanna
@TheRealPeggySue let's not get ahead of ourselves!

She's killing me :lol: :lol: :lol:
ECE
Superstar

Postby joao » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:37 pm

lol at #clapback
The problem is not what she does in her personal life, but to use this story for publicity. I have no doubt this is a planned move, just like her music is manufactured, her image and controversies surrounding her must be planned by the people behind her. I already found it very suspicious when the first Chris Brown controversy exploded exactly at the Grammy´s weekend...
joao
Superstar

Postby pcdm3 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:42 pm

NavyCommodore wrote:Rihanna has been ready for the backlash, that's why she's been doing vocal training hardcore and starting to perform the way she's always supposed to perform. At least this Chris Brown situation has caused her to become a better artist/performer, I think she knew she had to do better than before at the Grammys because of the upcoming backlash, not so much Brits.

And for those saying Rihanna is rude for telling that girl off, you can save it, Rihanna is rude, we know this, I love it. If someone said something negative about me and I have millions of twitter followers, I'd embarrass her as well...

Trashy artist...trashy stans :roll:
pcdm3
Manager

Postby danbarj » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:44 pm

^^^ joao - you are an absolute joke! Your posts show absolutely no objectivity and ONLY a sincere disdain for Rihanna!

What is your purpose for posting on all of her threads, regardless of the story or success or whatever, and only comment negatively. You are pitiful and sad. You are horribly pitiful!

Get your sex change and move on with life! Please, for your own sake. I have never encountered anyone with such disdain for a person they don't know and whose life doesn't affect theres.
I have to remember I am often conversing with immature teens on here... LOL
danbarj
Chief Navy Grio

Postby truthless » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Now let's put aside, that Rihanna is a celebrity.

Both were not right with their attitude.

That no name person (forgot her name...) was also AFTERWARDS nasty and openmouthed. I also didn't like Rihanna's answer. But you have to look at both sides...
truthless
A Line In The Sand

Return to General Artists Discussion