Lady Gaga :: The “Chromatica” Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Radio Airplay Chart

20. (​+1) Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande - Rain On Me 55.05 (+1.09)

Comment

• Malaysia

3 (1) 3 Sour Candy
      9 (3) 3 Rain On Me

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post

Well...

US
        Joanne
        201,000 - 61,000 - 28,000

Chromatica
        274,000 - 64,000 - 44,000 (projected)

UK
        Joanne
        26,694 - 9,602 - 5,000

Chromatica
        52,907 - 12,819 - 12,230

France
        Joanne
        8,090 - 2,100

Chromatica
        21,746 - 6,386

Canada
        Joanne
        17,500 - 5,000

Chromatica
        28,000 - 6,000

This is not a case of “Wow! Best peak in X years/ever in this or that country” as we’ve seen posted here many times when an album was released in July or August and had a good peak with terribly low sales and other albums from that artist released in Q4 had worse peaks but much better sales.

This is having much better chart runs AND better sales.
        (Also worth mentioning sales are overall way lower now than they were a few years ago and still they’re higher).
        You forgot to include "Artpop"

US
        258,000 - 46,000 - 116,000 (pure sales alone / no streaming or SPS units included)

UK
        65,606 - 15,948 - 13,202 (pure sales alone / no streaming or SPS units included)

---

PS: I mention "Artpop" because in your original table you included it but for this sales example you excluded it.
        Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Can we just leave this discussion like that? Because now we could argue about Artpop having been released in 2013 and you really can't compare sales from 2013 with 2020, but then again, you could go with the pure sales, but it's still not the same etc.

Both sides will have their arguments.

"Chromatica" is doing amazing all things considered and we should just be happy about that! And keep hoping there's some promo coming soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

You forgot to include "Artpop"

US
            258,000 - 46,000 - 116,000

PS: I mention "Artpop" because in your original table you included it but for this sales example you excluded it.
            It seems you also forgot to mention that the ARTPOP climb in its third week in US was due to Black Friday, and I wonder why you tried to hide this data...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
              Can we just leave this discussion like that? Because now we could argue about Artpop having been released in 2013 and you really can't compare sales from 2013 with 2020, but then again, you could go with the pure sales, but it's still not the same etc.

Both sides will have their arguments.

"Chromatica" is doing amazing all things considered and we should just be happy about that! And keep hoping there's some promo coming soon.
              Well there was a comparison done (not by me BTW) between "Chromatica" and her previous two albums ("Joanne" and "Artpop") when I stated that her previous two albums were released during Q4 (hence peaks and chart-runs are more complicated during that time) then a couple users replied that "Chromatica" was also doing better sales-wise with particular user ViviLittleM replying: "She's also doing better sales than her albums released in Q4" which is not an accurate statement.

In terms of "sales" this is only doing better than "Joanne" and that's only because "Perfect Illusion" barely did anything to push SPS units for the album, Joanne's lead single wasn't that helpful and I think it was even out of the chart after 5 weeks or something, this means that "Joanne" was left to do on it's own during the first weeks, HOWEVER this album had a turn-around and ended up having good longevity eventually (in the US at least).

Despite the sales thing, even if Joanne's sales were lower, it's peaks and chart-runs would have still looked better than they actually were had the album been released during a dead period. Same with "Artpop" which didn't even have a ticket bundle in the USA.
              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• MrLeonix
                I didn’t post Artpop numbers because I could only find here the sales of a few countries so couldn’t post a bigger picture of the comparisons.
                And also because 2013-2020 are quite different sales wise.

As you’ve just been told, that 3rd week for Artpop was boosted by Black Friday (which had a big impact back then). It moved 35k the following week, despite Q4 and Christmas sales.

The thing is you know, because we both know you know it, this is performing much better than Artpop and Joanne. Not only for peaks, which could be explained by low sales period and few releases as it has happened with other Summer releases.
                But its chart run on weeks 2 and 3 is way better and also its sales basically everywhere (not only when compared to its own competitors or this year sales, but even when compared to those old albums).

This could be thanks to ASIB, thanks to her having a hit this time, to people and critics really loving the album...
                But please, you know trying to make it look like it’s having a good chart run still being Top 10 on week 3 everywhere only because of the Summer release... it’s simply not true. And it seems to me you just wanted to mess this up a bit desperately trying to deny its success.

Maybe in a few weeks it drops like a rock (and, if she keeps ignoring her own album, it could be the case), but SO FAR it’s performing way better than Artpop and Joanne everywhere. And it’s a fact.

Which reminds me another issue we’re letting go... She’s achieving all this with literally ZERO tv interviews and performances while she had lots of promo both in US and overseas with all her previous albums.

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post
                  having a good chart run still being Top 10 only because of the Summer release....
                  I didn't say that. I was just defending her previous two albums because they were released during Q4 and peaks and remaining in the Top 10 during this period is way harder. I think both ("Artpop" and "Joanne") regardless of sales numbers would've had a way better chart-run had they been released during a dead period.

Comment

Well there was a comparison done (not by me BTW) between "Chromatica" and her previous two albums ("Joanne" and "Artpop") when I stated that her previous two albums were released during Q4 (hence peaks and chart-runs are more complicated during that time) then a couple users replied that "Chromatica" was also doing better sales-wise with particular user ViviLittleM replying: "She's also doing better sales than her albums released in Q4" which is not an accurate statement.

In terms of "sales" this is only doing better than "Joanne" and that's only because "Perfect Illusion" barely did anything to push SPS units for the album, Joanne's lead single wasn't that helpful and I think it was even out of the chart after 5 weeks or something, this means that "Joanne" was left to do on it's own during the first weeks, HOWEVER this album had a turn-around and ended up having good longevity eventually (in the US at least).

Despite the sales thing, even if Joanne's sales were lower, it's peaks and chart-runs would have still looked better than they actually were had the album been released during a dead period. Same with "Artpop" which didn't even have a ticket bundle in the USA.
                    You don't have to lie, ViviLittleM statement is exactly the truth. As already postulated by nympho, Chromatica is performing obviously better than any Gaga studio album since Born This Way in any market on the planet, the numbers don't lie: bigger sales, bigger longevity, smaller falls and so on, anyone with a mentality can see that.

You tried to put ARTPOP against Chromatica and ended up being totally hypocritical: first you said that Chromatica was released in a period of less competition, then you compared both using ARTPOP sales, which were benefited by Black Friday (which you tried to hide), and Christmas sales, which Chromatica did not have. In addition, you compared sales between a pre-SPS era release and a post-SPS era release, which makes no sense at all.

About the ticket bundles: You know very well that Chromatica only had 3 shows in US, and that they were affected by the pandemic/lockdown, because nobody in good conscience would buy tickets to be in the middle of a crowd, so that can't even be considered relevant Chromatica's sales.

If you want to be contradictory, at least do it right.
                    Last edited by Million; Sat June 20, 2020, 16:23.

Comment

I didn't say that. I was just defending her previous two albums because they were released during Q4 and peaks and remaining in the Top 10 during this period is way harder. I think both ("Artpop" and "Joanne") regardless of sales numbers would've had a way better chart-run had they been released during a dead period.
                      Could be...
                      You keep ignoring the sales improvements as well, though.

But as you could have seen, while Chromatica is Top 10 in week three everywhere, Artpop and specially Joanne was out of Top 20, Top 30, Top 40 and even out of chart by week three in some markets.
                      And that is not because of Q4.

Chart run and peaks could suffer from a Q4 release... but not THAT much. They wouldn’t have been (let’s say) #8 instead of #43 on week 3 if it was July instead of Nov.
                      You know it. The difference is just too big.

We all made our points... we should ALL please move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Million View Post

You don't have to lie, ViviLittleM statement is exactly the truth. As already postulated by nympho, Chromatica is performing obviously better than any Gaga studio album since Born This Way in any market on the planet, the numbers don't lie: bigger sales, bigger longevity, smaller falls and so on, anyone with a mentality can see that.

You tried to put ARTPOP against Chromatica and ended up being totally hypocritical: first you said that Chromatica was released in a period of less competition, then you compared both using ARTPOP sales, which were benefited by Black Friday (which you tried to hide), and Christmas sales, which Chromatica did not have.

About the ticket bundles: You know very well that Chromatica only had 3 shows in US, and that they were affected by the pandemic/lockdown, because nobody in good conscience would buy tickets to be in the middle of a crowd, so that can't even be considered relevant Chromatica's sales.

If you want to be contradictory, at least do it right.
                        I wasn’t contradictory. “Artpop” and “Joanne” were released during Q4 and the peaks and chart-runs were never going to be as easy as releasing during Q1 or Q2. That is a fact.

Even with lower sales “Joanne” chart-run would look better than it was had it been released during Q1 or Q2 (or even Q3).

“Artpop” and “Joanne” had to compete heavily during the Q4 season. By the time “Artpop” was released SPS units were not even counted towards the albums’ charts yet (which is a shame because Applause’s performance alone would have boosted the numbers towards the album even more - that song spent like 14 weeks in the Top 10). Also when she released “Artpop” and “Joanne” she was going solo and entirely on her own. This time she had Ariana Grande on par with the release of “Chromatica” in order to coincide with a high-SPS units boost during the album’s first weeks, a benefit neither “Artpop” or “Joanne” had.

IMO. Neither “Artpop” or “Joanne” need to be downplayed in order to praise “Chromatica” each album can be analyzed in many different ways. Each album had it’s own benefit in different ways, etc.

But yes let’s move on.
                        Last edited by MrLeonix; Sat June 20, 2020, 16:31.

Comment

Again, you forgot to mention that Joanne and ARTPOP's sales benefited from being released in Q4, unlike Chromatica which was launched in a lean period, as well as being the only one to face a worldwide pandemic, lockdown, closed stores and social movement protests that prevented Gaga from truly promoting her album since its release. How convenient is that?

Comment

• I’ll post it again, as it seems to me you deliberately ignored it.

We all made our points... we should ALL please move on.

Comment

• ​​​​​

Comment

• FINLAND
                                3 (1) 3 Chromatica

14 (10) 4 Rain On Me

Comment

• It matches the peak on Mediabase of Stupid Love.

Comment

• Swiss Singles Charts

18 (12) 4 Rain On Me
                                    Out (86) 12 Stupid Love

Comment

• USA Mediabase

POP:
                                      (15) 11 LADY GAGA & ARIANA GRANDE Rain On Me 8310 7294 +1016 36.507

+92 Spins
                                      -97 Bullet
                                      +0.411 Audience

#10 is far off so this should spend the next week at #11.

HOT AC:
                                      (12) 11 LADY GAGA & ARIANA GRANDE Rain On Me 3150 2618 +532 15.799

+93 Spins
                                      +34 Bullet
                                      +0.700 Audience

Comment

• Overall Uptade

18. (+2) Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande - Rain On Me 56.23 (+1.18)

Comment

• Comment

• UK Midweeks (Sunday)
                                            2 (=) 5 Rain On Me

Fun fact, if it stays at #2 by Friday, it’ll be her first single to spend at least 5 weeks in Top 2 since her debut Just Dance.

Comment

• a re-peak indeed.

Comment

• Absolutely smashing it in the Uk! So happy for her! It should reach gold in 2 weeks also!

how much has joanne sold in the Uk now? Thought it was around 150k?

Comment

• Lady Gaga’s former leader Chromatica sits at No. 2 for a second week, earning 44,000 equivalent album units (down 31 percent).
                                                  https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-billboard-200

Comment

• Originally posted by Britneysdream View Post
                                                    Absolutely smashing it in the Uk! So happy for her! It should reach gold in 2 weeks also!

how much has joanne sold in the Uk now? Thought it was around 150k?

Posted by MusicWeek on Chromatica's debut week.

Billboard 200
                                                    2 (2) 3 Chromatica - 44,000

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-billboard-200

Billboard total: 382k
                                                    RIAA total: 483k

Gold eligible next week!

It will probably fall out of Top 10 on BB200 next week, as at least three new debuts are expected and units for the top 10 were really tight this week.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X