No announcement yet.

Taylor Swift :: The ‘Taylor's Version’ Eras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, can someone explain how her old masters sales and profits would be treated? I read a lot and logically her old masters sales will go to the person who bought it. If someone has more knowledge it would really be helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post

I don’t think so but it’s gonna get there in the next few weeks. It had sold 772,000 units by October 10th that’s all I know.
      Thanks. Very impressive.
      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by britneylinda View Post
        Hi, can someone explain how her old masters sales and profits would be treated? I read a lot and logically her old masters sales will go to the person who bought it. If someone has more knowledge it would really be helpful.
        From what i have read on several articles online, i think that the big cut goes to the owner of the masters. Some profits go to the songwriter(s) and the producer(s); however, things get complicated there because there are many cases due to the percentage of every person involved in the creation progress.

The thing that matters the most when we're talking about profits is to provide licence for media use because we talk for loads of money here. Let's say a movie company wants a song of Taylor's to use it in a trailer. They need to have a licence for the song to do that, otherwise it's against the law. They need the permission of the owner of the masters and the songwriter(s). Taylor basically -as the main songwriter- can block every attempt of Scooter Braun -the owner- to licence her songs to other people. Remember that the same thing can do Scooter Braun to Taylor, if she wants to play a song live or to use it elsewhere. Do you remember the AMA's 2019 drama and the documentary Miss Americana? That's the case; the owner of the masters didn't provide a licence to her.

Now, another example from real life: "Wildest Dreams" was used to trailers for a kids movie named "Spirit Untamed". Taylor re-recorded that track, owns the new master, she's the main songwriter; so, the creators asked permission from her for the new master because even if Scooter Braun agreed for the old master, she wouldn't agree. At the end of the day she gets all the serious bucks and Scooter can do nothing to stop her. In such cases Scooter gets nothing, Taylor gets everything.

Keep in mind that Scooter Braun still gets profit every time someone buys/streams Taylor's old work. However, Taylor has loyal fans who won't do that and many people on the industry are on her side. Not long ago, after the re-release of "Red", i saw an article online and someone in charge from the iHeart Radio stations claimed that they are removing from their playlists Taylor's old songs everytime a re-release comes up bacause they want to play music that the artists really want to share. That's another win for Taylor because these profits go to her too.

After having re-record everything from her Big Machine days, the income from the old masters will be diminished in a great degree.
        Last edited by GreekGeek; Sat December 25, 2021, 20:25.
        And the 8th day God created KYLIE!!! <3

Comment

• I got bored today so i compiled a list with Taylor's airplay from the re-release of "Red".

I Bet You Think About Me: 6.77 9debut)
          I Bet You Think About Me: 7.20 (+0.43)
          I Bet You Think About Me: 7.48 (+0.28)
          I Bet You Think About Me: 7.64 (+0.16)
          I Bet You Think About Me: 7.85 (+0.21)
          I Bet You Think About Me: 8.03 (+0.18)
          I Bet You Think About Me: 8.24 (+0.20)

Message In A Bottle: 5.06 (debut)
          Message In A Bottle: 5.79 (+0.74)
          ​​​​​​​Message In A Bottle: 6.51 (+0.71)
          ​​​​​​​Message In A Bottle: 7.13 (+0.62)
          ​​​​​​​Message In A Bottle: 7.83 (+0.70)
          ​​​​​​​Message In A Bottle: 8.88 (+1.05)
          ​​​​​​​Message In A Bottle: 10.04 (+1.16)
          *2 days of no airplay updates*
          Message In A Bottle: 8.85 (+1.32)
          Message In A Bottle:10.02 (+1.16)
          Message In A Bottle: 11.25 (+1.23)
          Message In A Bottle: 12.26 (+1.01)
          Message In A Bottle: 13.34 (+1.08)
          Message In A Bottle: 14.38 (+1.04)
          Message In A Bottle: 15.23 (+0.85)
          Message In A Bottle: 16.21 (+0.98)
          Message In A Bottle: 16.84 (+0.63)
          Message In A Bottle: 17.38 (+0.54)
          Message In A Bottle: 18.07 (+0.69)
          Message In A Bottle: 18.42 (+0.35)
          Message In A Bottle: 19.09 (+0.67)
          Message In A Bottle: 19.93 (+0.84)
          Message In A Bottle: 20.67 (+0.75)
          Message In A Bottle: 20.67 (+0.00) *everyone got a bizarre update that day*
          Message In A Bottle: 22.16 (+1.49)
          Message In A Bottle: 22.70 (+0.54)
          Message In A Bottle: 23.39 (+0.69)
          Message In A Bottle: 23.61 (+0.21)
          Message In A Bottle: 24.13 (+0.52)
          Message In A Bottle: 24.68 (+0.55)
          Message In A Bottle: 24.98 (+0.30)
          Message In A Bottle: 25.37 (+0.39)
          Message In A Bottle: 25.74 (+0.37)
          Message In A Bottle: 26.10 (+0.36)
          Message In A Bottle: 26.50 (+0.40)
          Message In A Bottle: 26.54 (+0.04)
          Message In A Bottle: 26.56 (+0.02)
          41. Message In A Bottle: 26.80 (+0.23)
          41. Message In A Bottle: 26.67 (-0.12)
          41. Message In A Bottle: 26.61 (-0.06)
          41. Message In A Bottle: 26.67 (+0.06)
          41. Message In A Bottle: 26.54 (-0.13)

MIAB is so close to Top40...

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post

Thanks. Very impressive.
            Well

Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• QUEEENNNN!!!

Comment

• Greece

39 (15) 04 RED (TAYLOR'S VERSION)
                Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

Comment

• France :

#165 (-45) Red (Taylor's Version)

Comment

• Comment

• ​​​​​​She keeps winning, music industry things!

Comment

• Spain

12 (14) 06 Red (Taylor’s Version)

82 (64) 31 Fearless Taylor's Version
                        Last edited by jjavier1978; Tue December 28, 2021, 18:03.
                        Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

Comment

• SINGAPORE
                          6 (1) 6 All Too Well Taylor's Version

MALAYSIA
                          3 (2) 5 All Too Well Taylor's Version

BELGIUM
                          22 (16) 6 Red Taylor's Version

Comment

• 40. Message In The Bottle: 25.86 (+0.32)

Comment

• Billboard 200:

#3. Red (TV)
                              #37. evermore
                              #48. folklore
                              #56. Fearless (TV)
                              #67. Lover
                              #164. 1989
                              #189. reputation
                              #196. Speak Now

SHE IS THE QUEEN

Comment

• Originally posted by Beetle View Post
                                Billboard 200:

#3. Red (TV)
                                #37. evermore
                                #48. folklore
                                #56. Fearless (TV)
                                #67. Lover
                                #164. 1989
                                #189. reputation
                                #196. Speak Now

SHE IS THE QUEEN
                                That was last week's chart, this week's will be updated later

Comment

• Message In A Bottle has hit potential but blondie wants to play cat lady instead. ;-;
                                  Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• 40. Message In A Bottle: 26.41 (+0.54)

Comment

• Taylor Swift was the #1 best selling artist in US vinyl albums sales in 2021, with 815,000 total albums sold

Comment

• “evermore” ranks as the best-selling vinyl album of 2021 on @HITSDD Year-End chart, with over 223,000 copies sold

Comment

• Finally Red TV sold more vinyl copies than Adele’s 30 in the year end chart at number 5 with 197,000 units, I am surprised !!!
                                          Congratulation to Taylor and Adele too!! Love them !

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                                            Message In A Bottle has hit potential but blondie wants to play cat lady instead. ;-;
                                            Yes, i can see MIAB being a hit but i wish she concentrated of All Too Well first. She could've released Message In A Bottler after the inital hype for ATW died.
                                            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Finally Red TV sold more vinyl copies than Adele’s 30 in the year end chart at number 5 with 197,000 units, I am surprised !!!
                                              Congratulation to Taylor and Adele too!! Love them !
                                              Are you sure? Not long ago i saw in Adele's thread that 30's vinyl sales were almost 300.000. Maybe they don't count the sales of the calendar year? What's your source?

40. Message In A Bottle: 26.75 (+0.35)

Comment

Taylor Swift was the #1 best selling artist in US vinyl albums sales in 2021, with 815,000 total albums sold
                                                Shocking!!!

Comment

• Hi Greekgeek
                                                  I read it on
                                                  Hits Daily Double

Wednesday, December 29, 2021YTD VINYL SALES

At a time when virtually any song ever released is just a click away, more and more fans are choosing to go to a lot more trouble in order to play the music they love, as the younger generation embraces this old-school ritual.

With one week left in 2021, vinyl album sales are up 52.4% over 2020, with a total volume of nearly 40.5 million units. Expect some major movement on the year-end chart following an extremely active final sales week.

Comment

• ^Hi! Thanks for the source! I think i found what's wrong. The one you read/posted is from December 12th, so it's not a calendar year end. According to Billboard's numbers Adele stands to 293.000 vinyl sales to date.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X