• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadowplay View Post

Janet.
    Cherish was climbing to no.1 and it was blocked by Miss You Much. When Oh Father was released Miss You Much had just topped BBHot100 and would stay there at the top for one month.
    Oh Father video was premiered in mid-November, two-three weeks after the single release. More or less at the same time Janet released a mini-film, both Miss You Much and her second single, Rhythm Nation, were part of this bigger picture.
    Fall 1989 was all for Janet, her album and string of singles.
    Pretty sure Janet didn’t take up the whole top ten

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    The thing to remember, is if Oh Father didn’t flop and miss the top ten in the US, Warner wouldn’t have asked Madonna for a b-side for Keep It Together and Vogue wouldn’t exist.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowplay
    replied
    Originally posted by Artoo View Post

Do we know why it didn’t go top ten? Was it a strong release window, was there a physical release? .
    Janet.
    Cherish was climbing to no.1 and it was blocked by Miss You Much. When Oh Father was released Miss You Much had just topped BBHot100 and would stay there at the top for one month.
    Oh Father video was premiered in mid-November, two-three weeks after the single release. More or less at the same time Janet released a mini-film, both Miss You Much and her second single, Rhythm Nation, were part of this bigger picture.
    Fall 1989 was all for Janet, her album and string of singles.

Leave a comment:

• AndiIversen
    replied

Do we know why it didn’t go top ten? Was it a strong release window, was there a physical release? Etc.

To be totally honest, both Oh Father and Spanish Eyes felt like deliberate plots to recapture Live To Tell and La Isla Bonita, and neither quite hit the mark.
    I think it had to do with the lack of CD single, 12" and artwork for the vinyls (it was released in a plain white slipcase for the 7 inch, but it did have a cover artwork for the cassingle) . The 7 inch only had an edit and Pray for Spanish eyes (album v.) so not a heck of lot of incentive there imho.

It might have gotten lost in the busy Xmas season in '89 too

Radio didn't embrace it all that much, peaking at #22 and for some reason AC stations didn't play it

Leave a comment:

• DavieX
    replied
    Originally posted by BritneyMadonnastan View Post
    Heard ghost town on the radio in Spain
    SPAIN loves M Didn't NRM hit the number 1 spot there?

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

Yes... "Oh Father" peaked #20... as after that she had another 8 consecutive TOP 10's from "Keep It Togehter" to "Deeper and Deeper".

If only "Oh Father" had got legs to go TOP 10 and she would have 26 consecutive TOP 10 Hits in US.
    Do we know why it didn’t go top ten? Was it a strong release window, was there a physical release? Etc.

To be totally honest, both Oh Father and Spanish Eyes felt like deliberate plots to recapture Live To Tell and La Isla Bonita, and neither quite hit the mark.

Leave a comment:

• BritneyMadonnastan
    replied
    Heard ghost town on the radio in Spain

Leave a comment:

• MadNuno
    replied
    Originally posted by DavieX View Post

Was it "oh father" fault?
    Yes... "Oh Father" peaked #20... as after that she had another 8 consecutive TOP 10's from "Keep It Togehter" to "Deeper and Deeper".

If only "Oh Father" had got legs to go TOP 10 and she would have 26 consecutive TOP 10 Hits in US.

Leave a comment:

• MadNuno
    replied
    Originally posted by pablob View Post
    Didn't Madonna have 17 consecutive Top 10 hits, and 16 consecutive Top 5 ?
    Yes Madonna have 17 consecutive TOP 10's in US.

"Borderline" was TOP 10 being the first for her TOP 10 string while the TOP 5 was "Lucky Star" was the first for her 16 consecutive TOP 5 string.

FEMALE ARTISTS WITH THE MOST CONSECUTIVE TOP TEN SINGLES
    1. Janet Jackson - 18 (1989-1998)
    2. Madonna - 17 (1984-1989)
    3. Mariah Carey - 11 (1990-1994)
    4. Whitney Houston - 10 (1985-1988)

Leave a comment:

• MadonnaIcon
    replied

In the UK she had 36 consecutive top tens
    Her success is unparalleled in the UK

Leave a comment:

• pablob
    replied
    Didn't Madonna have 17 consecutive Top 10 hits, and 16 consecutive Top 5 ?

Leave a comment:

• Angeman
    replied
    But Madonnas is just as impressive if you see that in a 5 year period she had 16. While Janets was 2 extra in a 9 year period.

Leave a comment:

• DavieX
    replied
    Originally posted by BadMan125 View Post
    2. Madonna - 16 (1984-1989)
    I don't know how it is for artists in general especially concerning folks like Drake or whatever, so that's why I put "female" in front.
    Was it "oh father" fault?

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by BadMan125 View Post
    2. Madonna - 16 (1984-1989)
    I don't know how it is for artists in general especially concerning folks like Drake or whatever, so that's why I put "female" in front.
    In the UK she had 36 consecutive top tens, followed quickly by a second run of 17.

Leave a comment:

• BadMan125
    replied
    2. Madonna - 17 (1984-1989)
    Last edited by BadMan125; Wed September 7, 2022, 13:39.

Leave a comment:

• BadMan125
    replied
    Originally posted by Forreal View Post

Oh, I would add Whitney stat as well here : 1.793 mil for her!!

Btw Madge constantly leading the pack, that’s great !!
    Honestly, great views for all of them!

Leave a comment:

• BadMan125
    replied
    Cher’s career stretches back to the 60s - it’s just ignorant at this point to say she only has one big hit: you’re doing to Cher exactly what we complain some of the newer generations do to Madonna - discredit her to make our fav look better.

I Got You Babe, Beat Goes On, Bang Bang, Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves, Half Breed, Dark Lady, Take Me Home, I Found Someone, After All, If I Could Turn Back Time, Jessie James and Shoop Shoop were all big hits for Cher before Believe landed in her lap.

You don’t do global arena tours in your seventies if you only have one big hit.
    Right. That's why I hate stan wars. Cher is and has never been a one-trick pony. I feel she's actually underrated as an influential artist. And as a fan of Madonna, some of y'all definitely should know better especially as Madonna still gets disrespected too. We have to uplift the divas. Each and every last one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Forreal
    replied
    Cher’s career stretches back to the 60s - it’s just ignorant at this point to say she only has one big hit: you’re doing to Cher exactly what we complain some of the newer generations do to Madonna - discredit her to make our fav look better.

I Got You Babe, Beat Goes On, Bang Bang, Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves, Half Breed, Dark Lady, Take Me Home, I Found Someone, After All, If I Could Turn Back Time, Jessie James and Shoop Shoop were all big hits for Cher before Believe landed in her lap.

Being remembered for one hit doesn’t mean Cher ( or whoever) had just one hit, you misinterpreted DavieX in this case.

On other note I noticed TAB entering the top20 daily stream song, hopping it will continue this way…,

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DavieX
    replied
    Originally posted by Forreal View Post

This is not fair to Whitney tbh…

While I agree on C. Lauper and Cher to be mainly remembered for just one big hit , I don’t think it’s the same for Whitney who have , besides IWALY, some other big tunes that are still popular and played today, see “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” or “How will I know “ just to name a few.
    hmmm Maybe I mean IWALY swallowed her whole but I get what you mean, She did have some other hits and even some of her less known songs were good. "its not right but it's ok" and "your love is my love" are my favorite from her.

Leave a comment:

• Forreal
    replied
    Originally posted by DavieX View Post

I love how "M" is not known for just one HIT or a song like Cher, Cyndy, and Whitney. No song of hers is bigger than her persona.
    This is not fair to Whitney tbh…

While I agree on C. Lauper and Cher to be mainly remembered for just one big hit , I don’t think it’s the same for Whitney who have , besides IWALY, some other big tunes that are still popular and played today, see “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” or “How will I know “ just to name a few.

Leave a comment:

• DavieX
    replied
    Originally posted by MadonnaIcon View Post

Same to Cyndi Lauper's GJWTHF and Cher's Believe.
    I love how "M" is not known for just one HIT or a song like Cher, Cyndy, and Whitney. No song of hers is bigger than her persona.

Leave a comment:

• DavieX
    replied
    Originally posted by MadonnaIcon View Post

Papa don't Preach, Like a Prayer, Vogue, Take a Bow, Frozen or Music deserved these views
    ABSOLUTELY! She has better singles and Music videos!

Leave a comment:

• DavieX
    replied
    Originally posted by freddaras View Post
    Female pre-2000 artists with the most daily views (YouTube)

Shakira 7.881
    Madonna 2,247
    Mariah 1.820
    Britney 1.749
    Jennifer Lopez 1.832
    Celine Dion 1.480
    Plus Sharkira has 1001 collabs and features which helps A LOT

Leave a comment:

• MadonnaIcon
    replied
    Originally posted by cindycgy View Post
    Papa don't Preach, Like a Prayer, Vogue, Take a Bow, Frozen or Music deserved these views

Leave a comment:

Working...
X