Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• britneylovesme
    replied
    the total youtube views for 'La Isla Bonita' have finally crossed +100million.
    you know these numbers are the sum of two official videos (warner, madonna). if the fan upload hadn't been deleted, the total views would have been around +300mil. the madonna team sucks. they've ruined her recurrent streaming numbers, youtube views, etc.

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    10 years ago:

June 21, 2008 Hot 100

01 01 Lollipop - Lil Wayne feat. Static Major (5th and final week at #1)
    02 03 Viva La Vida - Coldplay
    03 02 Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis
    04 05 I Kissed a Girl - Katy Perry
    05 04 Take a Bow - Rihanna
    06 06 Love In This Club - Usher feat. Young Jeezy
    07 07 No Air - Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown
    08 08 Sexy Can I - Ray J & Yung Berg
    09 11 Pocketful Of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield
    10 10 4 Minutes - Madonna feat. Justin Timberlake

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    Billboard just posted this article from 2015:

"34 years ago, a rising star hit the charts for the first time..."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... t-100-1984

Rewinding the Charts: In 1984, Madonna First Crossed The Top 10 'Borderline'
    6/16/2015 by Trevor Anderson

On this date, Madonna's "Borderline" became her first Hot 100 top 10 & ignited one of the most impressive streaks in chart history: 17 straight top 10s.

"I signed [Madonna] because I believed in Mark Kamins, who I thought was the greatest DJ, and he wanted to be a producer," Seymour Stein -- the man who signed the pop icon to the label he co-founded, Sire Records, in 1982 -- recalled to Billboard in 2012. "So I gave him some money to bring me an artist, and the third or fourth thing he brought me was Madonna. I was very involved in the beginning. Then I realized, 'This woman is smarter than all of us. Just get out of her way.'"

Stein (whose first job was as an assistant at Billboard, aiding in the creation of the Billboard Hot 100 in 1958) foretold Madonna's historic chart run. On June 16, 1984, "Borderline," the poppy, synth-laced second single from Madonna's self-titled debut album, rose 11-10 to become her first top 10 on the chart. Although it stopped at No. 10, spending a lone week in the top tier, it ignited one of the most impressive streaks in Hot 100 history: a run of 17 straight top 10s for the Material Girl. ("Borderline" is also tied, with 1994-95's "Take a Bow," for her longest-charting Hot 100 hit: 30 weeks on the chart.)

After she reached No. 16 with her debut Hot 100 entry, "Holiday," in January 1984, Madonna wouldn't miss the top 10 for the remainder of the decade. That five-and-a-half-year stream of smashes resulted in some of her most iconic tracks, including "Like a Prayer," "Papa Don't Preach" and "Like a Virgin." The pop queen's stranglehold on the top 10 lasted until "Oh Father" ended the trend in early 1990, halting at No. 20. The drought didn't last long, however: After the "Father" blip, Madonna recovered with another run of eight straight top 10s through 1993.

Madonna's 17 Consecutive Top 10 Hits on the Hot 100
    Title, Peak Date, Peak Position

1, "Borderline," June 16, 1984, No. 10
    2, "Lucky Star," Oct. 10, 1984, No. 4
    3, "Like a Virgin," Dec. 22, 1984, No. 1 (six weeks)
    4, "Material Girl," March 23, 1985, No. 2
    5, "Crazy for You," May 11, 1985, No. 1 (one week)
    6, "Angel," June 29, 1985, No. 5
    7, "Dress You Up," Oct. 5, 1985, No. 5
    8, "Live to Tell," June 7, 1986, No. 1 (one week)
    9, "Papa Don't Preach," Aug. 16, 1986, No. 1 (two weeks)
    10, "True Blue," Nov. 15, 1986, No. 3
    11, "Open Your Heart," Feb. 7, 1987, No. 1 (one week)
    12, "La Isla Bonita," May 2, 1987, No. 4
    13, "Who's That Girl," Aug. 22, 1987, No. 1 (one week)
    14, "Causing a Commotion," Oct. 24, 1987, No. 2
    15, "Like a Prayer," April 22, 1989, No. 1 (three weeks)
    16, "Express Yourself," July 15, 1989, No. 2
    17, "Cherish," Oct. 7, 1989, No. 2

At the time, Madonna's streak set a new Hot 100 record for the most consecutive top 10 hits among any artist. It has since been beaten only once, by Janet Jackson, who linked 18 in a row from 1989-1998.

Still, Madonna wasn't even halfway finished with her top 10 collection. Since "Cherish," she's added 21 more top 10s to her resume, for a career total of 38 visits to the tier, the most among all artists. The Beatles follow with 34 Hot 100 top 10s, while Rihanna ranks third with 31.

The pop icon most recently featured in the upper bracket with "Give Me All Your Lovin'" (featuring Nicki Minaj & M.I.A.), which climbed to No. 10 in 2012, nearly three decades after her "Borderline" breakthrough.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowplay
    replied
    Well... rules should be changed. It’s awful to see tracks
    certified 1,2,3xP because of streaming, and old singles released prior to mp3s era still certified under old rules.

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by nympho
    Originally posted by thebigham
    Holiday was released by Warner Bros. Records which Madonna is no longer with.

It's doubtful WBR would spend $ on a certification for an artist who is no longer part of the label.
    UK certifications are automatic. .
    Only for sales that came after 1994.

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    ^Yes, I know all of that.

I was talking about Holiday overall sales since it was first released.

Leave a comment:

• nympho
    replied
    Originally posted by thebigham

It's doubtful WBR would spend $ on a certification for an artist who is no longer part of the label.
    UK certifications are automatic.

We've seen other Madonna singles being certified in UK these past years (Don't Tell Me or TPOGB just a few weeks ago).

It's not about the label paying or not because she's not in the label anymore, it's about the song being released prior to 1988 and thus Platinum being 1 million, not 600k.

Leave a comment:

• trebor
    replied
    ^
    BPI Co. UK
    In July 2013 'auto-certification' was introduced to allocate certifications to titles as soon as they passed the relevant sales thresholds, although member companies can still, in some circumstances, certify titles manually based on shipments.

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by marcsgirl85
    shouldn't Holiday be certified platinum in The UK if it's sold more than 700.000 copies there 600,000 is plat for singles there are currently 175 million selling singles in the UK
    Certification levels in the UK:

U.K. http://www.bpi.co.uk

S 60,000 G 100,000 P 300,000 [Albums]
    G 25,000 P 50,000 [Videos]
    since 01/1989 :: S 200,000 G 400,000 P 600,000 [Singles]
    until 12/1988 :: S 250,000 G 500,000 P 1,000,000 [Singles]

Leave a comment:

• marcsgirl85
    replied
    shouldn't Holiday be certified platinum in The UK if it's sold more than 700.000 copies there 600,000 is plat for singles there are currently 175 million selling singles in the UK

Leave a comment:

• jjavier1978
    replied
    Taiwan

08 (NEW) 01 The Immaculate Collection 2LP 2018 edition

Leave a comment:

• jjavier1978
    replied
    OnThisDay June 15 1991, Madonna ’s "Holiday" was re-released in the UK The Holiday Collection edition EP.

This was the third release for Holiday in the UK:

January 1984 (reached #6)
    August 1985 (reached #2, while #1 was Madonna’s own Into The Groove)
    June 15 1991 (reached #5)

718,000 copies (GOLD) in UK

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by music126
    I have a question regarding the spotify numbers above. Do they include all versions from each album, I'm assuming but just wanted to make sure.
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• music126
    replied
    I have a question regarding the spotify numbers above. Do they include all versions from each album, I'm assuming but just wanted to make sure.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    Îs this the white vinyl boost?

If a #5 vinyl seller in only #96 best seller combined CD & Vinyl, then the sales are really low overall. Hopefully it re-enters top 100 when it comes out in July.

Leave a comment:

• jjavier1978
    replied
    Amazon UK

Best Seller CD & Vinyl

#96 Like A Virgin Vinyl 2 Discs

Best Sellers in Vinyl

#5 Like A Virgin Vinyl 2 Discs

#35 Who's That Gril 2 Discs

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bad_Bobby2009
    Originally posted by NoirPhoenix
    What I don’t understand is how Revolver has so ‘many’ streams it’s just crazy because it wasn’t a hit on the charts.
    It's the Lil' Wayne factor. By the time, he was the hottest feature you could have in a song.
    No it isn't. Song is almost 10 years old. Spotify was hardly a thing in 2008/2009 and it didn't stop gaining streams after that year so you could say that it only gained those streams during that time. It was simply low key hit outside the charts. Where I live it's also known hit since radios used to play it a lot in Europe.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by jjavier1978
    She should release her next single and her album on her birthday.

Leave a comment:

• Bad_Bobby2009
    replied
    What I don’t understand is how Revolver has so ‘many’ streams it’s just crazy because it wasn’t a hit on the charts.
    It's the Lil' Wayne factor. By the time, he was the hottest feature you could have in a song.

Leave a comment:

• Angeman
    replied

The RH singles did ok for her standards and the three of them combined almost add 100M streams, in streams RH certainly did way better than MDNA but that album sold 1M more than RH so...

I’m excited for the next era to see if she’s getting stronger streaming numbers and also for her to finally have a 100M streaming song.

Her bday will be big promo for her and hopefully they do playlist celebrating her.
    Probably because of Lil Wayne curiousity streams.

Also I think Rebel Heart is the best streamed "new" album by a person her age. I'm not sure though. I know Michael Jacksons last album has more streams but that's a different case.

Leave a comment:

• BodyShop
    replied
    Like a Prayer will become her first song ever with 100+ million streams

Leave a comment:

• jjavier1978
    replied
    She should release her next single and her album on her birthday.

Leave a comment:

• NoirPhoenix
    replied
    Re: Madonna :: Charts & Sales History

The RH singles did ok for her standards and the three of them combined almost add 100M streams, in streams RH certainly did way better than MDNA but that album sold 1M more than RH so...

I’m excited for the next era to see if she’s getting stronger streaming numbers and also for her to finally have a 100M streaming song.

Her bday will be big promo for her and hopefully they do playlist celebrating her.

Leave a comment:

• jjavier1978
    replied
    Madonna’s 2nd album, “Like A Virgin” will be reissued on a white vinyl (previously only available as a promo only release) on July 3rd.
    Pre-order is available now at Amazon UK.
    Who’s That Girl Soundtrack will be rereleased on a plain black vinyl on June 29th.
    Pre-order available at Amazon UK, Amazon Italy and Amazon France (with a different release date: July 6th).
    https://allaboutmadonna.com/2018/06/two ... issued.php

Leave a comment:

Working...
X