Madonna :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

Adele will take over eventually (possibly with her forth album) but Madonna was a selling machine.
    Do u mean Adele will sell more than 10 mil copies in Uk with her next albums ??

I think, like happened to Dido, she will lose some power at certain point
    Last edited by Forreal; Mon September 6, 2021, 18:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forreal View Post

Do u mean Adele will sell more than 10 mil copies in Uk with her next albums ??

I think, like happened to Dido, she will lose some power at certain point
      Adele sold 800,000+ copies of 25 in it’s first week of sales in the UK alone. Combined she sold 9.5m albums of her last two studio albums so in theory, yes, she could sell around 10 million of her next two albums in the UK alone.

I don’t know how streaming will impact her sales, but what remains clear is Adele is a mammoth seller and even if it takes a fifth and sixth album, she will top Madonna’s album sales.
      Straight white men rule everything around me

Comment

Adele will take over eventually (possibly with her forth album) but Madonna was a selling machine.
        Adele will take over Whitney and Celine but I doubt she will take over Madonna anytime soon. Even if her new albums do good (I doubt they will do as good as her previous ones) Madonna will keep selling albums and will release many "anniversary editions" soon. I bet Madonna anual sales will rivalize with Adele on the years she doesn't releases a new album.

Adele have 3 albums and 2 of them are responsible for 90% of her sales. She won't keep up forever (look at Michael Jackson 80's and 90's album sales).

Madonna will certainly release another kind of GH package with her biopic as OST of the movie (probably with a "new" old song to promote it).

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

Adele will take over Whitney and Celine but I doubt she will take over Madonna anytime soon. Even if her new albums do good (I doubt they will do as good as her previous ones) Madonna will keep selling albums and will release many "anniversary editions" soon. I bet Madonna anual sales will rivalize with Adele on the years she doesn't releases a new album.

Adele have 3 albums and 2 of them are responsible for 90% of her sales. She won't keep up forever (look at Michael Jackson 80's and 90's album sales).

Madonna will certainly release another kind of GH package with her biopic as OST of the movie (probably with a "new" old song to promote it).
          Madonna hasn’t significantly increased her UK album sales in over a decade. What makes you think a new greatest hits or repacked albums will add millions to Madonna’s total?

I’m sure someone better with stats than me can give us a figure on her UK album sales across the Interscope albums - I’d be very surprised if it even adds up to 500,000, never mind a million.

Comment

Adele sold 800,000+ copies of 25 in it’s first week of sales in the UK alone. Combined she sold 9.5m albums of her last two studio albums so in theory, yes, she could sell around 10 million of her next two albums in the UK alone.

I don’t know how streaming will impact her sales, but what remains clear is Adele is a mammoth seller and even if it takes a fifth and sixth album, she will top Madonna’s album sales.
            She did great with her last 2 albums but her first album sales aren't as good. She won't sell as much from her next albums that's for sure. Looking at music history we see that with every artist. Look at Michael Jackson album sales for his 80's and 90's albums. Like him her new albums sales will fade as the world is different,

Adele "21" is now 2nd best selling album of all time in UK with sales close to 6 million but "25" is not even on TOP 10 yet with 3.5 million sales (and still behind "The Immaculate Collection"). Adele won't be able to put out another "21". That mommentum can happen only once. She may have great sellers like "25" was but even if she releases 4 albums that sell the same "25" did she will still be behind Madonna as she keeps having catalog sales and new releases as well (even if they won't sell much they do sell something and help catalog sales to rise). And let's be realistic, Adele will most likely won't be able to put out 4 more albums that sell as much as "25" did (let alone "21"). Her "19" album sales are low compared (but still did great after the release of her new albums). Also her last album was released 6 years ago so she will take 18 years to release another 4 albums?

Adele was very lucky that Amy Winehouse died and she occupied the place Amy was creating back in 2011. Of course she also had some value and did pretty good taking the spot. Her marketing team was great but now Adele is different. She is no longer the "Fat Lady in a Black dress". She is now thin and sexy with sexy clothes and looks younger despite 10 years have passed. Not sure how her new music will be but her new image will certainly make a difference for sales to older public she did with her past 2 albums.

Madonna have over 20 catalog albums that keep selling (and being streamed - some more than others) everyday. They will certainly have new "promo activations" like "True Blue" anniversary edition (hope we will get better than that). Her new albums may haven't done as good (let's see if with Warner will be different) but her catalog keep selling pretty well in UK. According to Official Charts News these were the 5 Best Selling Female Artists in UK since 2000 until 2020:

#1 Adele
            #02 Pink
            #03 Madonna
            #04 Rihanna
            #05 Dido

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...entury__32612/

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...t-21st-century

https://www.music-news.com/news/UK/1...of-the-century

How much did Pink sold in UK?

Also in 2020 on Best Selling Female Albums sales since 2000 Madonna scored 4 entries, including "The Immaculate Collection" at #40.
            "The Immacullate Collection" is 3rd best selling Album by a Female Artist in UK (both Adele "25" and Amy "Back To Black" Stepped ahead). Adele "25" did pretty well but it's still almost 300k behind. Adele probably doesn't release a new album already as it will kill some of her catalog sales for her other 2 albums that keep having pretty steady sales.

In 2019 Amy Winehouse album was still behind "The Immaculate Collection" but she only have 2 albums (and some posthumous ones) and as this one was her most successful have been a nice catalog seller.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...-chart__15551/

Here are the TOP 100 best selling albums by female artists in UK since 2020:

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...entury__28945/
            Last edited by MadNuno; Mon September 6, 2021, 20:48.

Comment

Madonna hasn’t significantly increased her UK album sales in over a decade. What makes you think a new greatest hits or repacked albums will add millions to Madonna’s total?

I’m sure someone better with stats than me can give us a figure on her UK album sales across the Interscope albums - I’d be very surprised if it even adds up to 500,000, never mind a million.
              "Celebration" sold almost 700k already in UK already and it was released in 2009.

Her Interscoop albums sold from 250k to 300k but meanwhile her albums catalog have been selling better.
              "The Immaculate Colleciton" sold around 300k in UK during the past decade alone.

Her total albums sales in UK for the past 10 years? Probably from 1.5 to 2.5 million (hard to tell just based on certifications and some reports as each new platinum takes 300k to get and she have a lot of albums).

Madonna is back to Warner and that changes everything. When Madonna releases a new record now she sells more old records than new records and that's why Interscoope were not happy with promoting Madonna. Warner would get the profit and not them.
              Last edited by MadNuno; Mon September 6, 2021, 20:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

"Celebration" sold almost 700k already in UK already and it was released in 2009.

Her Interscoop albums sold from 250k to 300k but meanwhile her albums catalog have been selling better.
                "The Immaculate Colleciton" sold around 300k in UK during the past decade alone.

Her total albums sales in UK for the past 10 years? Probably from 1.5 to 2.5 million (hard to tell just based on certifications and some reports as each new platinum takes 300k to get and she have a lot of albums).

Madonna is back to Warner and that changes everything. When Madonna releases a new record now she sells more old records than new records and that's why Interscoope were not happy with promoting Madonna. Warner would get the profit and not them.
                So I was right, in the last decade her three studio albums haven’t even sold half a million over a ten year period. It’s unfair to look at her sales over the last 20 years as that includes big sellers like Music and Confessions, but her ability to sell music has shifted considerably since then.

I just think it’s naive to think Adele won’t eventually take Madonna’s place. As long as Adele comes back with the right song, her sales will be phenomenal again and she will take that top spot - don’t forget she also has catalogue sales.

I remain sceptical as to the amount of sales Madonna’s reissues can generate, but I’m open to it. It really does depend on whether Madonna has a market still in the UK - she really needs to focus on the unreleased material to make it worth while IMO.

Comment

• Madame X on Spotify

27.08.2021 185.671.322 +64.012
                  28.08.2021 185.735.539 +64.217
                  29.08.2021 185.788.794 +53.255
                  30.08.2021 185.843.452 +54.658
                  31.08.2021 185.900.387 +56.935
                  01.09.2021 185.960.332 +59.945
                  02.09.2021 186.023.258 +62.926

03.09.2021 186.087.201 +63.943
                  04.09.2021 186.151.919 +67.718
                  05.09.2021 186.207.465 +55.546

Comment

adele had her peak and still 12 million behind, i doubt her next album will sell 12 million in Uk lol, TIC still sells there too
                    Blue hydrangea, cold cash divine. Cashmere, cologne and white sunshine.
                    Red racing cars, sunset and vine. And we were young and pretty.

Comment

• This convo is confusing me. How is Adele anywhere close to Madonna's sales in the UK after only three albums?
                      " And i think you should take a second just to look at your reflection
                      Baby maybe you're the problem "

Comment

So I was right, in the last decade her three studio albums haven’t even sold half a million over a ten year period. It’s unfair to look at her sales over the last 20 years as that includes big sellers like Music and Confessions, but her ability to sell music has shifted considerably since then.

I just think it’s naive to think Adele won’t eventually take Madonna’s place. As long as Adele comes back with the right song, her sales will be phenomenal again and she will take that top spot - don’t forget she also has catalogue sales.

I remain sceptical as to the amount of sales Madonna’s reissues can generate, but I’m open to it. It really does depend on whether Madonna has a market still in the UK - she really needs to focus on the unreleased material to make it worth while IMO.
                        Yes, studio albums sold little but her catalog sold pretty well. As I said Madonna album catalog sales in UK last decade were 1.5 million to 2.5 million - this means she much probably still sold well over 2 million albums during the past decade (by 2010 her total UK album sales were around 20 million and now are 23 million).

Adele have catalog sales for 3 albums only which is very limited!!!
                        Madonna have catalog sales for over 20 albums and dozens more hits than Adele ever had (Adele had 3 number one hits in UK, 8 Top 10 Hits and 13 TOP 40 Hits).

Adele is 33 yo right now, not 21 or 25 anymore. Sure she may have another big seller album but it's very unlikely she can make another "21". Even "25" took 4 years to get to 3 million in UK and was released when she was at her peak.Her "25" album did good fueled by the first single "Hello" but also because how big "21" was before that (a bit how Michael Jacksons "Bad" did so great in UK being after "Thriller" - despite the fact that having great songs and being a great album also).

When Adele releases a new album will certainly be big but it can end up being as big as "19" was (it sold 2.4 millions in 13 years - it had sold just 700k before "21" was released). If Adele releases 2 more studio albums during the 20's decade she may end the decade with album sales of around 16 million but certainly no more (as album sales are also down every year for every artist). With luck Adele may get to 20 million album sales in UK by 2040 if she releases another 2 or 3 big albums during the 30's. If Adele is lucky by 2050 she gets to 25 million albums sold but by then Madonna is already over 30 million for sure. Adele will be always 2 steps behind but she will certainly become #02 best selling female artist in UK if her next 2 albums do good (that won't be that easy as it seems as it's difficult for artists to keep the top spot with every release, especially at this so high level).

Madonna total album sales in UK should be around 26 million by 2030 (she will certainly sell more catalog records - and increase streams - during this decade due to Warner promoting her older records with re-masters and re-releases) and around 28-30 million by 2040.

I'm hopping Madonna will have a great long, long, long life but we never know when will she pass - nobody lives forever. Michael Jackson got almost 6 million album sales in UK during the first 5 years after his passing (not sure if he already passed Madonna but he was at 15 million albums sold before passing having 2 albums among the TOP 10 best selling of all time in UK - a bit like Adele).
                        Last edited by MadNuno; Mon September 6, 2021, 22:28.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                          This convo is confusing me. How is Adele anywhere close to Madonna's sales in the UK after only three albums?
                          Her sales are insane - 21 sold 6 million alone here, and by the end of 2018, 25 had sold 3.5 million too. If her sales trend continues she could easily close the 10 million gap over the next decade, if not overtake Madonna completely (depending on how many albums she actually releases).

Adele hasn’t released new music since 2015. If she has the right lead single, her sales will be huge.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                            This convo is confusing me. How is Adele anywhere close to Madonna's sales in the UK after only three albums?
                            She isn't anywhere close yet but she did impressively well - she have 11.8 million albums sold and Madonna still have over 23 millions but Adele sold surprisingly well in UK:

"19" - 2.4 million (#09 best selling album since 2000 by a female artist in UK) - released in 2008
                            "21" - 5.9 million (#01 best selling album since 2000 by a female artist in UK) - released in 2011
                            "25" - 3.5 million (#03 best selling album since 2000 by a female artist in UK) - released in 2015

Only with these 3 albums in 20 years (by 2040) time Adele will probably get to 15 million UK Album sales.
                            Not sure when Adele will release a new album but she will. Not sure how much will it sell or how will it do but won't sell as much as "21" that's for sure.

"21" is now #02 best selling album of ALL TIME in UK and was #04 back in 2019 ("Abba Gold" may get the #02 tittle back as sales of both albums are very similar and "21" may drop to #03 soon) while "25" is now #15 best selling album of ALL TIME in UK (but still climbing).
                            "19" did good but in 2011 when "21" was released its sales were still bellow 800k getting much of the sales thanks to "21" huge success.

EDIT:
                            I just notice that according to BPI certification Adele sales are a bit different:
                            "19" - 2.5 million
                            "21" - 5.3 million
                            "25" - 3.7 million

So "21" still wasn't certified for 5.4 million sales and award certifications are automatic.This means the album didn't sold the 5.9 million the Official Chart Company says it did. Certifications also take streaming into account in UK. Unfortunally Offiicial Charts company mixes up the sales figure often very badly (for all artists) even stating different sales for the same artists records time and again. A total mess.

These sales puts "21" as #04 best selling album of all time (as it was on Official Charts article about it) behind Queen, Abba and The Beatles albums.

"25" got a 3.6 million award certification last year, 3 years before for 3.3 million and 4 years before for 3 million so we can say sales are slowing down a bit and may get a certification for 3.9 million by 2023/24.

Adele total albums sales in UK in Mid-2021 down to 11.5 million - not the 11.8 million I stated above. She was probably at 11 million until the end of 2020 (as that list that someone posted says).
                            Last edited by MadNuno; Tue September 7, 2021, 00:23.

Comment

Her sales are insane - 21 sold 6 million alone here, and by the end of 2018, 25 had sold 3.5 million too. If her sales trend continues she could easily close the 10 million gap over the next decade, if not overtake Madonna completely (depending on how many albums she actually releases).

Adele hasn’t released new music since 2015. If she has the right lead single, her sales will be huge.
                              Her sales trend is something unique and will probably not be repeated - she sold 11/12 million albums in 13 years (not 10 years).
                              Adele sales will most probably slow down now as 6 years passed since "25" was released.
                              She is selling records since 2008 and she is still 11.5 millions behind Madonna (that despite selling not much as before still sells at least a couple of millions per decade).
                              Adele would need at least 3 albums to be as big as her previous ones and 20 years before getting ahead of Madonna UK album sales.

"25" 3.5 million number is from early 2020. In February 2017 "25" crossed 3 million mark according to both Official Charts Company and BPI. It seems that it got to 3.6 million already later on in 2020 gaining a 12 platinum award I just saw it (but the Official Chart website didn't care to update the number).

It's kind of weird about "21" sales as the Official Charts website says it sold over 5.9 million but according BPI last certification was of 5.1 million only (award certifications in UK are automatic so it should be at least certified with 19 platinums that are 5.7 million but only have 17 platinum awards - this means the album sales from Official Charts are wrong and the album as yet to sell 5.4 million to be certified 18 platinum (unfortunally happens pretty often they having the numbers wrong). Queen "Greatest Hits" is the best selling album in UK having 22 platinum awards that mean over 6.6 million albums sold. "Abba Gold" is 19 platinum meaning over 5.7 million. The Beatles "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" is 18 platinum so sold over 5.4 million.

This means "25" is probably already at 3.7 million, "21" is at 5.3 million and "19" probably at 2.5 million = 11.5 million
                              This was an amazing achievement she had but almost half of her sales come from a super selling album that is among TOP 5 of best sellings of all time. She would need 3 like that one to pass Madonna during the next decade as Madonna album sales in UK stand at 23 million and will be at 25 million or higher at the end of 2020's decade. Adele passing Madonna album sales in UK during the next 10 years ain't gonna happen for sure (and even doing it later will be pretty hard too).

Madonna "The Immaculate Collection" should be getting a 13 platinum award any day now. "25" will eventually get ahead of Madonna "The Immaculate Collection" sales during the next 3-5 years (that's pretty possible and even likely). In 2017 "Celebration" by Madonna got a 2nd Platinum for sales over 600k (that are now around 700k according to Official Charts). This album is certainly canibalising some "TIC" sales for sure.
                              Last edited by MadNuno; Tue September 7, 2021, 00:33.

Comment

• I think someone is pressed

Comment

• Album: The Immaculate Collection

iTunes:
                                  #28 Germany (+7)
                                  #63 United States (+2)
                                  #134 Australia (=)
                                  #289 Canada (-5)
                                  #466 United Kingdom (-4)

Apple Music:
                                  #490 New Zealand (NE)
                                  #544 United Kingdom (-19)

Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

Comment

• TIC does way better in US itunes than in UK lately, hope it keeps doing well there and maybe with a little help from streaming start entering BB200 again, even at #199 idc, it will still count as a week inside the chart

Comment

• Originally posted by DevilPray View Post
                                      TIC does way better in US itunes than in UK lately, hope it keeps doing well there and maybe with a little help from streaming start entering BB200 again, even at #199 idc, it will still count as a week inside the chart
                                      You mean in the last couple of weeks? Because during this year TIC returned to UK TOP 100 Albums for a few weeks.

Comment

• i literally said 'lately', why few ppl here come to ruin the fun each time you say something positive or hope for something omg

Comment

TIC does way better in US itunes than in UK lately, hope it keeps doing well there and maybe with a little help from streaming start entering BB200 again, even at #199 idc, it will still count as a week inside the chart
                                          It won’t re-enter BB200 this week, iTunes discounts for 6.99$ ,so it does better lately.
                                          Since the digital album market is very weak,
                                          it helps little in sales units

Comment

• Originally posted by britneyliam View Post

It won’t re-enter BB200 this week, iTunes discounts for 6.99$ ,so it does better lately.
                                            Since the digital album market is very weak,
                                            it helps little in sales units
                                            Oh so that's why is up!
                                            90% of the times older albums climb on iTunes is because they are discounted.

Comment

i literally said 'lately', why few ppl here come to ruin the fun each time you say something positive or hope for something omg
                                              Sorry, din't want to shut down your fun

I was not sure what you meant with "lately" as some people I know use lately for "a few months, my bad

Comment

• MX is weeks away from falling behind of RH in weekly streams, I’m always amazed at how well RH keeps selling on iTunes (I know that it’s relevant now) somehow the GP love that era because the streams are consistent and the digital sales too, and it’s not only BIM carrying the album.

Can’t wait for the MX concert in a month, hopefully it pushes the streams and also the few catalogue songs featured like American Life, Rescue Me or Frozen, we will see how big of an impact MTV still has since it will be released worldwide.

Comment

• YT stats

PDP HD

2021/08/30 79,869
                                                  2021/08/31 84,080
                                                  2021/09/01 91,035
                                                  2021/09/02 83,965
                                                  2021/09/03 100,342
                                                  2021/09/04 106,056
                                                  2021/09/05 101,460

Cherish HD

2021/08/30 10,747
                                                  2021/08/31 11,344
                                                  2021/09/01 12,423
                                                  2021/09/02 10,756
                                                  2021/09/03 12,380
                                                  2021/09/04 12,341
                                                  2021/09/05 11,895

Beautiful Stranger HD

2021/08/30 10,578
                                                  2021/08/31 10,043
                                                  2021/09/01 11,164
                                                  2021/09/02 9,974
                                                  2021/09/03 11,671
                                                  2021/09/04 11,411
                                                  2021/09/05 11,332

Comment

• Originally posted by NoirPhoenix View Post
                                                    MX is weeks away from falling behind of RH in weekly streams, I’m always amazed at how well RH keeps selling on iTunes (I know that it’s relevant now) somehow the GP love that era because the streams are consistent and the digital sales too, and it’s not only BIM carrying the album.

Can’t wait for the MX concert in a month, hopefully it pushes the streams and also the few catalogue songs featured like American Life, Rescue Me or Frozen, we will see how big of an impact MTV still has since it will be released worldwide.
                                                    I just can't wait for it!
                                                    It kind of scares me that is a documetary and not the full concert. I wonder what songs were left out (we still never have had a Re-invention Tour Official Release).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X