Madonna :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flotando View Post
    Biggest gains of the week besides Frozen Remix are 4 Minutes and Bitch Im Madonna. I think they may be the kind of songs the Frozen Remix listeners know about Madonna. Maybe Medellin is back on the top 30 because of that, too. Wonder if Crave is an option when Swae Lee remix will be released.

Also, Lucky Star. I think it's because everyone's watching Euphoria and it was featured on the first season.
    I'm not sure if this is a proper interpretation.
    Percentage-wise those songs did have the biggest gains, but looking at absolute streams, HU increased more than 4M, and LAP, LIB, MG, LAV, Vogue, LS, Frozen (original), Sorry, CFY, and PDP, all increased more than BIM

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post
      ^
      No one said it was an airplay hit or that radios played it right from the start, did I?
      But charting on the airplay chart, let alone peaking at #42, means it was played by radio… Top 20 on Pop and HAC.
      Which obviously denies the “it wasn’t played anywhere” theory.
      Just that. It’s a fact.

That could be said about Hollywood or Love Profusion which were heavily ignored by radio after the AL backlash… or the following Confessions singles… but not about Hung Up.
      It wasn't ignored but it wasn't even close to be a RADIO HIT. As you say we can't say radios ignored it but in comparing to the rest of the world it was pretty much ignored.

It peaked #42 and that was the only week inside the TOP 50 airplay chart. Some radios did play it a lot and others almost totally ignored it

It was a niche hit on some radio stations formats in US only.

"Hung Up" even missed the Year End TOP 100 Radio Songs in both 2005 and 2006 in US showing just how a small radio hit this really was. Can you really call it a Radio Hit? It was not ignored by radios as much as her previous singles (after "Die Another Day" that peaked #15 on Radio Songs and made it to TOP 100 Radio Songs Year End in both 2002 and 2003 all her songs were pretty much ignored by radios) but "Hung Up" was not a radio hit.

They played a few times for a few weeks in each station just to have an excuse to say "they tried to play it but listeners didn't want to listen to this song and we dropped it" because was #01 on single sales and digital sales for multiple weeks (and was #01 all over the world and this was Madonna, not an unknown artist they could ignore). Let's not forget that the album also #01 putting pressure on radios and making the song play on chart shows (the album release week was also the radio peak for the song as well).

This song was a TOP 20 Airplay Year End Hit in almost all European countries in both 2005 and 2006 (now that's what I call a radio hit) - even TOP 10 year end of both 2005 and 2006 in some countries.

I don't have data with me but I believe that in NY and LA it probably was a TOP 100 Year End airplay hit as I remember it had much more airplay in some cities/states compared to others. I'm sure that in some of those republican cities it wasn't even a TOP 100 airplay weekly hit (and that's why it peaked so low on airplay).
      Last edited by MadNuno; Sat January 22, 2022, 19:20.

Comment

• Does anyone know why Beautiful Killer is blocked on Spotify?

Comment

• Originally posted by music126 View Post
          Does anyone know why Beautiful Killer is blocked on Spotify?
          It's not blocked in the United States but I think the bigger question is why are you listening to MDNA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post

It's not blocked in the United States but I think the bigger question is why are you listening to MDNA.
            Well, we're nearing the 10th anniversary.

Comment

• Frozen (Sickick Remix) on Spotify

Spoiler!

DATE: TotalStreams (DailyGain) %±YD [%±LW]

14/01/22: 11,319,743 (+441,455) +7,03% [+16,34%]
              15/01/22: 11,751,585 (+431,842) -2,18% [+16,00%]
              16/01/22: 12,132,838 (+381,253) -11,71% [+11,01%]
              17/01/22: 12,549,950 (+417,112) +9,40% [+6,75%]
              18/01/22: 12,971,686 (+421,736) +1,10% [+8,26%]
              19/01/22: 13,401,266 (+429,580) +1,86% [+7,71%]
              20/01/22: 13,826,702 (+425,436) -0,96% [+3,14%]

21/01/22: 14,286,880 (+460,178) +8,16% [+4,24%] *NEW PEAK*
              ___

Official Spotify Charts:

#58 Finland (-7) - 13,136
              #94 Lithuania (+27) - 1,674
              #121 Germany (-15) - 81,083
              #146 Austria (-3) - 5,987
              #200 Sweden (-40) - 19,692
              ___

Apple Music:

#55 Lithuania (+8)
              #114 Czech Republic (+3)
              #146 Cyprus (+8)
              #148 Slovakia (-18)
              #153 France (NE)
              #156 Germany (+1)
              #157 Austria (-1)
              #164 Oman (NE)
              #193 Chad (NE)
              #194 Switzerland (NE)
              ___

Deezer:

#59 Austria (+13)
              #79 Kenya (NE)

Comment

• Germany carrying this song lol, 1/6th of the streams are from there

Comment

• Danke Deutschland!

Comment

• Some of her albums UK sales estimations including SPS and club sales

• The Immaculate Collection - 4,405,000
                    • Like A Prayer - 1,540,000
                    • GHV2 - 920,000
                    • Madonna - 905,000
                    • Celebration - 690,000
                    • Complete Studio Albums (1983-2008) - 10,000
                    • Rebel Heart Tour - 5,000

thanks to Shireblogger

Comment

• More good news: Madonna is now #216 on Spotify

about to get her best position!

Comment

• Oh just noticed the debut on Apple Music France. Nice.

Comment

• Nice to see a new peak, as it's obviously starting to stabilize.
                          It's time to release the Swae Lee version and/or shoot a video or something.
                          I was hoping it would pass 500k but it won't this week… Perhaps next Friday!

Comment

• Madame X LIVE on Spotify

14.01.2022 4.148.012 +13.433
                            15.01.2022 4.160.064 +12.052
                            16.01.2022 4.170.417 +10.353
                            17.01.2022 4.181.878 +11.461
                            18.01.2022 4.193.894 +12.016
                            19.01.2022 4.206.388 +12.494
                            20.01.2022 4.218.902 +12.514

21.01.2022 4.232.071 +13.169

Madame X on Spotify

14.01.2022 193.638.366 +55.968
                            15.01.2022 193.697.295 +58.929
                            16.01.2022 193.742.234 +44.939
                            17.01.2022 193.791.121 +48.887
                            18.01.2022 193.841.868 +50.747
                            19.01.2022 193.893.569 +51.701
                            20.01.2022 193.946.730 +53.161

21.01.2022 194.001.615 +54.885

Comment

• Spotify 21.01.2022

Medellin - John Christian & DJLW Remix 626.047 +193
                              Medellin - LA95 Dancefloor Legend X Remix 288.204 +137
                              Medellin - LA95 Remix 282.244 +136
                              Medellin - Offer Nissim Madame X in the Sphinx With No Intro 1.109.745 +350
                              Medellin - Sak Noel Remix 366.305 +186
                              Medellin - Offer Nissim Madame X In The Sphinx 2.308.177 +836
                              Medellin - Offer Nissim Set Me Free Remix 1.103.577 +309

TOTAL 6.084.299 +2.147

Comment

• Thanks!
                                6 million for Medellin remixes is nice. It's worldwide and Spotify (that have a global streaming share of less than 30%) but it's still good to see it did OK.

That's added to the song (single) for certification purposes, right?

I notice most remixes don't have many daily plays in the long run but overall still managed to pull out pretty decent numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post

I'm in the US, and it's blocked if I go to the deluxe version of MDNA, but if search the song it works, strange. Anyway, I love Beautiful Killer and I try to seek songs I don't hear often. I'm tired of hearing Material Girl and Like A Virgin when I have it on Madonna Shuffle.

Comment

I'm in the US, and it's blocked if I go to the deluxe version of MDNA, but if search the song it works, strange. Anyway, I love Beautiful Killer and I try to seek songs I don't hear often. I'm tired of hearing Material Girl and Like A Virgin when I have it on Madonna Shuffle.
                                    Odd it plays for me under the deluxe edition. Im just joking anyway. MDNAs a sore spot for me because she had the whole music industry waiting for a new album and she gave us that. It should have easily gone platinum with superbowl and tour bundles.

Comment

• Nice to see "Frozen" remix getting a new global peak.

Also nice that it's finally doing well in Germany (the 2nd biggest market in Europe). It's not strange that this is doing well there since "Ray of Light" is Madonna best selling album there being certified for sales over 1.5 million since 1998 already (so I wouldn't be surprised if it already sold over 2 million since there were over 23 years since it was certified and Madonna toured germany lots of times after that).

I'm surprised that the song still didn't make it in UK where ROL is Madonna second best selling studio album (just behind "True Blue").

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

It was a niche hit on some radio stations formats in US only.
                                        That's pretty much it.

I admit it was an exaggeration when I said "it was played nowhere". What I meant is that, for a song that got such a great response on the sales front, it felt like it was completely ignored by radios due to the backlash and it got there despite of its radio plays and not because of it l, as it was to be expected.
                                        Even more so for an artist like Madonna, radios literally played a HUGE role on her popularity and it's undeniable. Just compare Confessions In A Dancefloor' sales worldwide,where Hung Up was a mamoth radio hit, versus its sales in the USA.

So, for a song that she promoted a lot and that was such a huge event in every corner of the world because of how she was going back to her "dance roots" after such a long time, to peak at # 42 overall was an enormous disappointment.

One may say it had a "good amount" of airplay depending on which kind of radio you used to listen to but even a #17 peak on pop was far from good.

One last thing to bring even more disappointment to Madonnaland in America regarding radio airplays and that no one talked about here, but was really a thing back then, is that it was the year that Mariah Carey came back full force in the United States. So,in a way,many, many fans expected a similar response to Madonna's new single but it just didn't happen... for all the reasons we know.

MTV (and VH1) did show support for the song but my post was about the radio backlash after American Life and that has nothing to do with the video.

To sum things up, the (infamous) american radio backlash she suffered after American Life was a huge stab on her popularity but it definitely didnt kill her career stateside like the other poster said and thats also what my post was about.

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop View Post

To sum things up, the (infamous) american radio backlash she suffered after American Life was a huge stab on her popularity but it definitely didnt kill her career stateside like the other poster said and thats also what my post was about.
                                          To say It "Killed her carreer" it's quite a bit dramatic but certianly cut her legs to jump higher on charts and sales.

But I would say it killed her chance to have new younger audiences the way she was able to get outside US and that also killed her chances to have multi-platinum albums as well (some of her 2000's albums will eventually get multi-platinum, the first one will be COADF for sure).

I mean... all her studio albums of the 00's and 10's (including "American Life") except for "Rebel Heart" were still #01 in Billboad 200 showing she always kept an huge fanbase in US. And after all she's still Madonna so everyone over 30 knows she is the biggest in US - problem is that among those under 30 many don't know it and Warner work to change that is big.

Outside US everyone over 18 yo knows Madonna is huge (and why).

Despite all she was still able to have a few HOT 100 entries after that but it became harder and harder.

She still have had lots of club hits and "Hung Up" ended up being the 00's song most played at US Clubs.
                                          Madonna still ended the decade as #01 Single Sales artist so that still says a lot (despite physical single sales were in decline).
                                          Her 2004, 2006 and 2008 tours still sell out in US (not only Arenas but also some Stadiums).

Not sure if US radio (the Republican Party) have finally "forgiven" Madonna for that American Life episode but truth is that "Crave" still got some AC love (enough to be an Year End TOP 40 AC airplay hit). I doubt her "God Control" video played in her favour though
                                          Last edited by MadNuno; Sat January 22, 2022, 20:49.

Comment

its not blocked to me
                                            Blue hydrangea, cold cash divine. Cashmere, cologne and white sunshine.
                                            Red racing cars, sunset and vine. And we were young and pretty.

Comment

• Madonna was able to have those few Hot 100 entries because either:

- It was a lead single
                                              - It was the most mentioned song in reviews
                                              - She had cameos from everyone in the video
                                              - She was a sales artist

After American Life she basically became an album artist and that’s mostly because radio refused to play her. Subsequently she struggled to take on a new generation of fans, which had always been a strength as an artist, and everything slid downwards from there until streaming took everything she has left.

In the UK I still believe that if Warner moves back to releasing her singles in a physical format, she’ll start charting here again.
                                              Straight white men rule everything around me

Comment

I'm not from the US but it's not blocked for me (neither is I'm Addicted, which is an even better song imo ).
                                                Find me here:
                                                https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89
                                                https://instagram.com/jordivanderwaal

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post
                                                  Madonna was able to have those few Hot 100 entries because either:

- It was a lead single
                                                  - It was the most mentioned song in reviews
                                                  - She had cameos from everyone in the video
                                                  - She was a sales artist

After American Life she basically became an album artist and that’s mostly because radio refused to play her. Subsequently she struggled to take on a new generation of fans, which had always been a strength as an artist, and everything slid downwards from there until streaming took everything she has left.

In the UK I still believe that if Warner moves back to releasing her singles in a physical format, she’ll start charting here again.
                                                  I disagree. Confessions hailed very successful singles, a top ten in the U.S for Hung Up and number one all over the world as well as all other singles went top ten in Europe/UK so you cannot say she is not a singles artist when she released Hung Up and Confessions...it was one of the biggest songs of the decade!

Comment

• Originally posted by sidewalktalk View Post

I disagree. Confessions hailed very successful singles, a top ten in the U.S for Hung Up and number one all over the world as well as all other singles went top ten in Europe/UK so you cannot say she is not a singles artist when she released Hung Up and Confessions...it was one of the biggest songs of the decade!
                                                    He was talking about US only, not Globally.

"Hung Up" was probably the only exception in US as the single still sold pretty well in both physical and digital formats at the time.

Lead singles usually always do better than previous singles as they usually have a bit more airplay as some radios stations play it a few weeks to anounce the artist new album (even if not in heavy rotation) but subsquent songs are rarely played.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X