X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hun
    replied
    Originally posted by samo
    So according to certain Janet fans, Janet was bigger than Madonna in the US from 1989-1994 and yet Madonna's TOTAL US records sold are 122 million (73 million albums and 49 million singles physical and digital combined) while Janet's TOTAL US, her biggest market, records sold is 55 million (36 million albums and 19 million singles physical and digital combined).

So Madonna sold more than DOUBLE in the US what Janet has sold since 1982.

Um ok Janet fans...
    I thought you were a Janet fan yourself? You ain't fooling anybody.

Leave a comment:

• NIKOSATH
    replied
    Originally posted by jjavier1978
    Taiwan

04 (NEW) 01 DANCE MIX (LP) Madonna

https://www.5music.com.tw/CDTop.asp?top=6
    ????
    what is this?

what the sales could be?

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    So according to certain Janet fans, Janet was bigger than Madonna in the US from 1989-1994 and yet Madonna's TOTAL US records sold are 122 million (73 million albums and 49 million singles physical and digital combined) while Janet's TOTAL US, her biggest market, records sold is 55 million (36 million albums and 19 million singles physical and digital combined).

Um ok Janet fans...
    Let's end this now please...

Leave a comment:

• samo
    replied

Um ok Janet fans...

Leave a comment:

• jjavier1978
    replied
    Taiwan

04 (NEW) 01 DANCE MIX (LP) Madonna

https://www.5music.com.tw/CDTop.asp?top=6

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by Westen
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    Originally posted by TIfan
    ^^^Wow, so this bitch was just slaying everywhere. :evil:
    Yes, the definition of a global blockbuster act. Here in Latin America she's also huge, in fact she is the Biggest female artist ever in Latin America.

What about Whitney, Celine or Shakira?
    Madonna outsold them here in Latin America. Celine and Shakira rank either 2nd or 3rd place.

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    Yes, the definition of a global blockbuster act. Here in Latin America she's also huge, in fact she is the Biggest female artist ever in Latin America.

What about Whitney, Celine or Shakira?

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Oh wait i just fund in comments on his article that he couldn't add TIC to the article, so he posted in comments

1,125,000, TIC

So probably 9m albums overall in Japan, and 11-13m in Asia, I think Wayne once posted numbers

Leave a comment:

• HouseTargaryen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    How was her sales in Asia?
    from MJD, excluding complitaions

Japan
    1,250,000, LAV
    1,050,000, TB
    550,000, LAP
    400,000, Madonna
    200,000, WTG

500,000, Erotica
    475,000, IB
    450,000, ROL
    425,000, BS
    200,000, Evita

600,000, COADF
    325,000, Music
    300,000, HC
    200,000, AL

100,000, MDNA
    40,000, RH

7,065,000 studio albums, probably over 8m albums overall, i don't know about Asia, 10-12m maybe

Leave a comment:

• HouseTargaryen
    replied
    How was her sales in Asia?

Leave a comment:

• AlphaMale
    replied
    @samo you've became my favourite poster on this forum

Leave a comment:

• AlphaMale
    replied
    For the sake of fairness here are Janet's and Madonna's album sales in the US for their 90s releases and I'm INCLUDING RN for Janet, since despite coming out in late 1989, it really is a 1990 album as according to Billboard it was the #1 selling album of 1990 in the US. I'm NOT including LAP for Madonna, since it sold its majority in 1989.

Janet

RN 8 million

janet 8 million

DOAD 3 million

TVR 4 million

4 releases, 23 million albums sold in the US

Madonna

IB 2 million

TIC 12 million

Erotica 2 million

BS 3 million

STR 3 million

Evita 3 million

ROL 5 million

7 releases, 30 million albums sold in the US

Madonna sold more albums than Janet in the US in the 90s but she RELEASED more and Janet's average sold per release was much higher than Madonna's

Just like Janet sold more concert tickets than Madonna in the 90s but Janet did 260 dates (!) and Madonna only 96. Also Madonna's average per night gross was MUCH HIGHER than Janet's, even setting a record for a female artist for her 1993 tour.

It's all about PERSPECTIVE
    It doesn't get any clearer than that!

Leave a comment:

• samo
    replied
    For the sake of fairness here are Janet's and Madonna's album sales in the US for their 90s releases and I'm INCLUDING RN for Janet, since despite coming out in late 1989, it really is a 1990 album as according to Billboard it was the #1 selling album of 1990 in the US. I'm NOT including LAP for Madonna, since it sold its majority in 1989.

Janet

RN 8 million

janet 8 million

DOAD 3 million

TVR 4 million

4 releases, 23 million albums sold in the US

Madonna

IB 2 million

TIC 12 million

Erotica 2 million

BS 3 million

STR 3 million

Evita 3 million

ROL 5 million

7 releases, 30 million albums sold in the US

Madonna sold more albums than Janet in the US in the 90s but she RELEASED more and Janet's average sold per release was much higher than Madonna's

Just like Janet sold more concert tickets than Madonna in the 90s but Janet did 260 dates (!) and Madonna only 96. Also Madonna's average per night gross was MUCH HIGHER than Janet's, even setting a record for a female artist for her 1993 tour.

It's all about PERSPECTIVE

Leave a comment:

• samo
    replied
    Janet did 3 tours in the 90s for a combined 260 dates!

Madonna only toured twice and only did 96 dates the entire decade

At the time, Madonna's averages per concert gross of the GS tour in 1993, 1.7 million per show, was the HIGHEST EVER FOR A FEMALE ARTIST IN HISTORY. Nobody ever brings that fact up.

By that logic of Janet being a bigger touring force in the 90s than Madonna, then Madonna was a much bigger album seller in the US in the 90s than Janet

Madonna sold more albums in the 90s in the US than Janet But.... Madonna RELEASED more albums than Janet in the 90s.

The fact that Janet did nearly 3 times as many tour dates as Madonna to help her outgross her in the 90s, despite the fact that Madonna's her concert gross was insane and much higher than Janet's, needs to be taken into account

Just like the fact that Madonna sold more albums than Janet in the US in the 90s, but she released more albums than Janet and Janet had higher per average album sales in the 90s in the US than Madonna.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    I said implied that she had no touring power because 'she didn't play hundreds of shows and only maybe could have'
    Even if its truth, I think it would be much better that way, it just shows how solid Madonna's legacy was over time becoming bigger and bigger for each Tour. No one cares about who had the biggest tour 30 years ago, what counts is who has the biggest tour now.

Same thing happened with Britney / Xtina. Initially Xtina was grossing better numbers than Britney up until 2006 and then suddenly Britney's touring profile increased and now ever since 2009 she's been pulling the best touring stats of her career proving her legacy strong, while Xtina can't even tour now.

Same thing happened to Beyonce vs her peers, her initial numbers were lame compared to her peers before and now she outgrosses everyone of them.

Usually icons with tarnished legacies find their biggest tours at the beginning of their careers and once years go by they become less and less powerful in touring.

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied
    Originally posted by thebigham
    Originally posted by biscuits
    Haven't you all learned to ignore certain posters?
    Encouraging people to ignore others when we're just having a discussion? Real mature.
    Because you have a bias against Madonna and her fans here. We all know it. Why bother interacting with you?
    I don't have a bias against Maddy, I have a bias in favour of Janet. And fine, don't interact with me - tbh, I can't remember a time we've ever interacted before this because you're not particularly interesting. But let others think for themselves instead of encouraging hate.

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    Encouraging people to ignore others when we're just having a discussion? Real mature.
    Because you have a bias against Madonna and her fans here. We all know it. Why bother interacting with you?

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied

Well I didn't imply it. Janet toured more, thus sold more tickets and made more moneys. End.
    But Madonna earned more per date, and also spent less because she had less dates, so this could go both ways

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied
    Not discrediting her, just stating how Janet was a bigger star in the US at that time.
    Which is what i also stated yesterday.
    But now you started discrediting TIC from 90s, implying that she had no touring power because she had small amount of dates... That's discrediting.
    Where did I say she had no touring power?
    I said implied that she had no touring power because 'she didn't play hundreds of shows and only maybe could have'
    Well I didn't imply it. Janet toured more, thus sold more tickets and made more moneys. End.

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Not discrediting her, just stating how Janet was a bigger star in the US at that time.
    But now you started discrediting TIC from 90s, implying that she had no touring power because she had small amount of dates... That's discrediting.

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X