Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Madonna :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

    Guiness Book was sayin 300 million ALBUMS in 2013 edition (not records, ALBUMS).
    I just checked the Guinness site for Madonna's record, it said "albums and singles". In fact, when placing the record, it CLEARLY said "335 million units".
    "Crime is increasing
    Trigger happy policing..."
    -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Artoo View Post
      It wouldn’t surprise me if her re-certs weren’t happening, but her claim on Fallon to have sold 400m suggests she might have been briefed about what the results of a re-certification will be.
      It's no different from Michael Jackson claiming he sold 750 million or Janet claiming 160 million. A few times I had seen Tina Turner claiming 180 million records. Madonna is probably closest to that estimate than the others were though. But I don't think she's at 400 million at all.
      "Crime is increasing
      Trigger happy policing..."
      -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

      Comment


      • Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

        Numbers not updated since 2010 and 2012 may much probably have big updates as until 2016 / 2017 digital song sales was still higher than streaming (especially for legacy artists) and all her tours and new album releases were all small activations during the past 10/12 years (plus a few others we probably forget from TV Shows, etcs).

        Hopefully whenever her certs are updated by RIAA in October Billbaord may write an article with all the breakdown giving us that info.

        Michael Jackson just had a major RIAA update this week (another one) as they are releasing a new Thriller 40 anniversary album in November.
        Michael's streams are bigger than Madonna's. Plus due to its stream units, Billie Jean, Thriller, PYT, TLIML and Beat It were in need of re-certifications for a hot minute. Madonna's by comparison is smaller so it may take a while. Only song I could see getting re-certified right now is maybe La Isla Bonita thanks to its YouTube streams.
        "Crime is increasing
        Trigger happy policing..."
        -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

        Comment


        • I think Material Girl is doing better in the US than La Isla Bonita the last years in streaming
          Blue hydrangea, cold cash divine. Cashmere, cologne and white sunshine.
          Red racing cars, sunset and vine. And we were young and pretty.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by BadMan125 View Post

            I just checked the Guinness site for Madonna's record, it said "albums and singles". In fact, when placing the record, it CLEARLY said "335 million units".
            Yes, that's since the 2016 book!

            On both 2014 and 2015 book covers they wrote 300 million ALBUMS!

            Comment


            • and now female artists with most top 10 singles in the UK

              1. Madonna - 63
              2. Kylie Minogue - 34
              3. Rihanna - 30
              4. Mariah Carey and Britney Spears (+1) - 24
              5. P!nk - 21

              Comment


              • Originally posted by BadMan125 View Post

                It's no different from Michael Jackson claiming he sold 750 million or Janet claiming 160 million. A few times I had seen Tina Turner claiming 180 million records. Madonna is probably closest to that estimate than the others were though. But I don't think she's at 400 million at all.
                She is much probably closer to 500 million than 400 million now.

                In UK alone until 2012 she sold 17.6 million PURE singles (according to BBC and OCC)!
                She is probably well over 25 million already taking into account all equivalent sales already published since then by the OCC (she already even got a few new singles certs in UK as well during the past 10 years too).

                On albums Madonna is at over 24 million in UK (including all missing sales and OCC sales figures since '94 despite her certification being at over 18 million only so far). That's almost 50 million units from UK alone as 2022!

                In US we know that she sold over 75 million album as 2009 according to a Billboard (before Celebration was released) so taking into account the new releases sales and equivalent tracks and streams sales for all her catalog she is certainly already over 80 millions albums in US alone.

                As for US singles we know she is deeply under certified (we know "Like a Virgin" single sold 1.9 million physical singles as 1985 and many more details about many more physical singles and also about recent SPS) - she certainly sold certainly is at over 60 million singles/songs units in US, probably even over 70 million already by now (many are still far from getting new certs but that doesn't mean she didn't sold those records or equivalent records as you need 1 million additional sales to get a new cert).

                So only taking into account US and UK she sold at least over 190 million units (albums, singles, downloads, ringtones, streaming equivalents) - this includes over 100 million albums from those 2 countries alone!

                Madonna album certifications in Germany and Italy are over 12 million in each country (so she sold more than that for sure) and in France her album sales are over 11 million based on real data. She also sold many million singles, downloads and equivalent streams on those countries as well but would have to check to give you an exact number (certainly well over 6 million in each country, probably much more than that). Still that's well over 35 million album from those countries, much probably even over 40 million (as she surelly sold more than the certification numbers we have for each album).

                We have Japan (If I remember right it's over 9 million albums there), Australia and Canada as some big markets with high sales.

                Let's not forget Brazil where Madonna sold over 5 million albums being the International English singing Artist that sold more albums (and among all international artists only Julio Iglesias is ahead). I'm sure that in Mexico and other countries she did well too.

                Then there are literally lots of other countries with some healty sales where she certainly sold a few millions too (like Spain, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria... etc).

                In Portugal (where I live) Madonna sold over 800k albums (as everywhere else she is also undercertified, especially from her 80's and 90's releases).

                Not sure about singles, downloads and stream equvialents. In the 80's she had 4 singles going silver here (that was over 15k sales at the time). She did have many more of her singles charting for weeks here too and she did sold well downloads in the 00's as well (as she came here to do concerts for the first time by then). I say she certainly sold over 200k singles/songs equivalents here (probably even much more as it's a very low estimation). The silver single cert was given to only around 100 singles in the 80's in Portugal and that was the lowest certifcation so not many singles got certified here and so it's hard to have the correct sales for most of them (only Warner knows that info). This is a quite small country and music market but Madonna certainly sold over 1 million untis here for sure.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

                  Yes, that's since the 2016 book!

                  On both 2014 and 2015 book covers they wrote 300 million ALBUMS!

                  Why are you so stubborn? I've posted the link from their website several times. The latest edition is 2015! It states 335 million units. I keep posting it and you keep referring to the older addition. 335 million UNITS! click on the link:

                  https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...cording-artist
                  Last edited by floridagrl; Fri September 2, 2022, 21:18.
                  Madonna, The Holy Queen of Music!
                  http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... ing-artist

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by floridagrl View Post

                    Why are you so stubborn? I've posted the link from their website several times. The latest edition is 2015! It states 335 million units. I keep posting it and you keep referring to the older addition. 335 million UNITS! click on the link:

                    https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...cording-artist
                    They say 335 million RECORDS since 2016 cover.
                    Still they did also supplied the information of 300 milion albums as I posted in the picture. So she did both!

                    You're the one being stubborned like the 2014 or 2015 book of records information was incorrect and not complementary (as in reality is).

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

                      They say 335 million RECORDS since 2016 cover.
                      Still they did also supplied the information of 300 milion albums as I posted in the picture. So she did both!

                      You're the one being stubborned like the 2014 or 2015 book of records information was incorrect and not complementary (as in reality is).
                      So you're saying Madonna only sold 35 million singles worldwide?
                      Guinness is still saying it so I guess you have to take it up with them.

                      The site said "units", the 2015 edition said "albums". It's all confusing really.
                      "Crime is increasing
                      Trigger happy policing..."
                      -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by BadMan125 View Post

                        So you're saying Madonna only sold 35 million singles worldwide?
                        Guinness is still saying it so I guess you have to take it up with them.

                        The site said "units", the 2015 edition said "albums". It's all confusing really.
                        They say OVER... they never said only 300 million albums or 35 million singles.

                        If you read my "big post" you already have your answer. Billboard also said in 2009 that Madonna sold over 275 million albums worldwide (before Celebration was released).

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

                          They say OVER... they never said only 300 million albums or 35 million singles.

                          If you read my "big post" you already have your answer. Billboard also said in 2009 that Madonna sold over 275 million albums worldwide (before Celebration was released).
                          I'm aware of that. All we were saying is that Guinness itself used different terms. As was stated, the Guinness site said units, the book from whatever edition they posted said "albums". That's all. I wasn't trying to argue.
                          "Crime is increasing
                          Trigger happy policing..."
                          -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

                          Comment


                          • On Madonna's Popular page at Spotify:

                            #9's Papa Don't Preach is at 90,058,719.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by thebigham View Post
                              On Madonna's Popular page at Spotify:

                              #9's Papa Don't Preach is at 90,058,719.
                              I'm actually surprised this hasn't gotten to 100 million yet.
                              "Crime is increasing
                              Trigger happy policing..."
                              -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by BadMan125 View Post

                                I'm aware of that. All we were saying is that Guinness itself used different terms. As was stated, the Guinness site said units, the book from whatever edition they posted said "albums". That's all. I wasn't trying to argue.
                                Not trying to argue here also, just to tell you why I insist on this:

                                The most recent printed book (not sure about the one being released this year) also say that 335 M units as it's online (since 2016 cover released in 2015).

                                In 2006 (cover saying 2007) the Book already said over 300 million records but at least since 2013 they replaced it with 300 Million Albums.

                                Probably during the 10's Warner was not very willing to update Madonna info with Guiness Records but perhaps they should.
                                Maybe after all the certs updates they will do it... hopefully the 2023 book (2024 cover) will already say 400 million units.

                                Michael Jackson estate is always trying to update his sales everywhere.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by BadMan125 View Post

                                  I'm actually surprised this hasn't gotten to 100 million yet.
                                  This isn't merged with other versions.
                                  Last edited by MadonnaIcon; Fri September 2, 2022, 23:26.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by thebigham View Post
                                    On Madonna's Popular page at Spotify:

                                    #9's Papa Don't Preach is at 90,058,719.
                                    Weekly you could post the top 20 updated streams numbers by separated tracks (not merged).

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by MadonnaIcon View Post

                                      This isn't merged with other versions.
                                      it is tho, the only song of hers that got merged was PDP
                                      Blue hydrangea, cold cash divine. Cashmere, cologne and white sunshine.
                                      Red racing cars, sunset and vine. And we were young and pretty.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Shego View Post

                                        it is tho, the only song of hers that got merged was PDP
                                        Spotify merged the Album and Celebration versions when the 25th Anniversary Edition of True Blue was released. The TIC version has different streams still, tho.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by BadMan125 View Post

                                          I'm actually surprised this hasn't gotten to 100 million yet.
                                          Don't worry hun It will get there sooner rather than later just like 2 or 3 other more videos.

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

                                            Michael Jackson estate is always trying to update his sales everywhere.
                                            Update or inflate? 750 million records/units sold anyone?
                                            HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                                            Last edited by oneofone; Sat September 3, 2022, 08:48.

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by oneofone View Post

                                              Update or inflate? 750 million records/units sold anyone?
                                              HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                                              I believe that number is most probably correct (or even low). That is not all pure sales though.

                                              By 2009 his sales were similar to Madonna worldwide (based on numbers we have access it seems they were a little less than Madonna by then - she much probably surpaced his sales in 2005 or 2006).

                                              Michael Jackson already have had over 1 billion streams in US just during 2022 despite having nothing new out for ages!

                                              Billboard in early 2010 announced that in 2009 he sold over 100 million records (mostly digital songs) worldwide in the 6 months after passing away.
                                              In 2011 there were news he sold over 200 million records during the 2 years after his passing (mostly digital songs again).

                                              His state promotion have been huge during the past decade, his song with Drake even peaked #02 in UK Charts. It seems they don't have much to work with.and are even being sued for putting another singer imitating Jackson in some of the supposed non released Jackson songs from one of his posthumous albums.

                                              Comment


                                              • MJ’s sales have always been phenomenal, and I don’t see them slowing down any time soon. When you listen to his music it’s hard to deny the quality and easy to see why they’ve continued finding an audience. The issue is that, unlike Madonna, his genius as an artist is universally recognised: for whatever reason Madonna’s is denied and overlooked. I don’t know why and I don’t know how they circumvent that (or if it’s even possible at this stage in her career to re-write the narrative) but hopefully Warner has a plan alongside the re-issue project to push her streaming numbers up.

                                                But you know, Madonna remains the biggest selling female artist of all time. All records are there to be broken, but this is the one I want her to keep until her dying day.
                                                Disco dancing with the lights down low…

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

                                                  They say 335 million RECORDS since 2016 cover.
                                                  Still they did also supplied the information of 300 milion albums as I posted in the picture. So she did both!

                                                  You're the one being stubborned like the 2014 or 2015 book of records information was incorrect and not complementary (as in reality is).
                                                  They "say" units because it's just not albums. The total includes singles and videos, too. It's all her recordings!! All her units. Jeeze!
                                                  Madonna, The Holy Queen of Music!
                                                  http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... ing-artist

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by floridagrl View Post

                                                    They "say" units because it's just not albums. The total includes singles and videos, too. It's all her recordings!! All her units. Jeeze!
                                                    Sure but only based on Billboard data alone she was already over 400 million UNITS by 2012 after Superbowl (275 million pure albums as 2009, 100 million physical singles and over 50 million digital songs and downloads) that don't include streaming or videos.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X