X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hun
    replied
    Originally posted by thebigham
    Haven't you all learned to ignore certain posters?
    Encouraging people to ignore others when we're just having a discussion? Real mature.

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by biscuits
    Originally posted by Westen
    Not discrediting her, just stating how Janet was a bigger star in the US at that time.
    Which is what i also stated yesterday.
    But now you started discrediting TIC from 90s, implying that she had no touring power because she had small amount of dates... That's discrediting.
    Where did I say she had no touring power?
    I said implied that she had no touring power because 'she didn't play hundreds of shows and only maybe could have'

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    Haven't you all learned to ignore certain posters?

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied
    Not discrediting her, just stating how Janet was a bigger star in the US at that time.
    But now you started discrediting TIC from 90s, implying that she had no touring power because she had small amount of dates... That's discrediting.
    Where did I say she had no touring power?

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    "The inmaculate collection" was massive for Madonna and pop music standards staring the 90s, however, I'd say that overall Janet was only bigger than Madonna in US for the first half of the decade up until 1994. But then Madonna was bigger than Janet in US for the second half of the decade. "Something to remember" was bigger than "Design of a decade" in US and "Ray of light" was bigger than "The Velvet rope" in US, so Janet started leading but then Madonna enventually caught the lead by the end of the decade.

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    You obviously won't listen to reasonable facts so there's no point trying with you
    Those are not reasonable facts. You're just discrediting Madonna, just like that Madonna fan did that to Janet yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaMale
    replied
    You obviously won't listen to reasonable facts so there's no point trying with you
    You're half right about TIC, but don't forget the two new songs that went top 10 and one of them was #1.
    And also it wasn't released 30 years after Madonna retired.
    It was released during her imperial fase.

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    It does make sense. Who made more money and sold more tickets from touring? Nobody is saying Maddy was a flop at touring in the 90s, but Janet was bigger. Can't be denied.

Look what I said about The Beatles in regards to TIC.
    No she wasn't. She just toured more because she wanted. Madonna never did that and never will do.

Madonna had her biggest tour at the time during her 'flop' album and sold out stadiums on basically every continent, implying that she wasn't force because she toured less is a non sense.

Doesn't matter. TIC sold most of its DIAMOND certification in 90s.

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied
    It does make sense. Who made more money and sold more tickets from touring? Nobody is saying Maddy was a flop at touring in the 90s, but Janet was bigger. Can't be denied.

Look what I said about The Beatles in regards to TIC.

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied

Then let's exclude RN era since it was released in 80s?

So just because Madonna never wanted to play plenty of dates means that she had no touring power?
    I guess she's flop now too when it comes to tours because she never had a tour with over 100 dates.

'Madonna was flop in 90s' is such a false myth. She had major tours, her albums still sold on pair with her peers in UK and other relevant countries, she had top 10 singles outside US etc.
    Why are you clutching at straws to prove Maddy was bigger in the US during the 90s, when it's clearly not true and not even that important?

If we are talking about the 90s, RN1814 era can't be excluded, because the majority of it took place in the 90s. It was the best selling album of 1990 so that can't be ignored when discussing the 90s. And yes, Janet had much more touring power because she played hundreds of sold out shows. Maybe Maddy could have, but she didn't - so Janet was a bigger touring force in the 90s.
    Lol I'm not, i already said on last page that she wasn't. You're the one stripping her of her achievements because 'they don't count' or because 'she only had less than 100 dates overall'

TIC also can;t be excluded because it contains #1 single and diamond certification and most of it came from 90s.

lol 'she was bigger touring force because she played more dates' that's a non sense.

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied
    Originally posted by CandyShop
    The S&S tour is by far the most successful tour in history for a female act and had only 88 dates...... what a big flop it must have been
    Thank you for this irrelevant contribution

Leave a comment:

• CandyShop
    replied
    The S&S tour is by far the most successful tour in history for a female act and had only 88 dates...... what a big flop it must have been

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied

So just because Madonna never wanted to play plenty of dates means that she had no touring power?
    I guess she's flop now too when it comes to tours because she never had a tour with over 100 dates.

'Madonna was flop in 90s' is such a false myth. She had major tours, her albums still sold on pair with her peers in UK and other relevant countries, she had top 10 singles outside US etc.
    Why are you clutching at straws to prove Maddy was bigger in the US during the 90s, when it's clearly not true and not even that important?

If we are talking about the 90s, RN1814 era can't be excluded, because the majority of it took place in the 90s. It was the best selling album of 1990 so that can't be ignored when discussing the 90s. And yes, Janet had much more touring power because she played hundreds of sold out shows. Maybe Maddy could have, but she didn't - so Janet was a bigger touring force in the 90s.

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by samo
    Yes they're BOTH legends and hugely influential in their own right

As for Janet being in the tabloids a lot in the 90s, she was but MJ and Madonna were in the tabloids CONSTANTLY in the 90s

Madonna seemed to become more of a tabloid figure in the 90s than ever before

I still remember those cheesy talk shows like Geraldo and Montell William s who devoted WHOLE episodes about Madonna in the 90s. Focusing if course on her "scandalous" private life

There was even an unauthorized 2 hours Madonna tabloid special in primetime hosted by Robin Leach in 1993 called "Madonna Exposed"

As much as I love Janet, she never had that much tabloid exposure like Michael or Madonna had. Janet was considered pretty safe and clean by the tabloid press back then

Madonna, on the other hand, always ended up on the front page of the National Enquirer every other week.
    Maddy was in tabloids for all the wrong reasons though. She was a laughing stock in the early-mid nineties. The nineties belonged to Janet and Mariah.
    Except there's a difference between being in tabloids thanks to your art and what you are doing with it, or having mental breakdown, stripping live on tv, or secrets from your private life coming to haunt you.

And it's also not true since it only lasted from late 1992 until BS era. She was major force who probably cemented her legendary status in 1990 and 1991, and ROL was historic comeback in every possible way.

Originally posted by loowee
    Mariah owned the 90s. Even Madonna was bigger than Janet in the 90s. The ONLY time that Janet was bigger than Madonna was 1993 and 1994. Vogue, Blond Ambition, The Immaculate Collection, Evita, ROL all happened in the 90s. Even the standalone single Beautiful Stranger smashed.
    That's why Billboard named Janet the #2 artist of the decade?

'The Immaculate Collection' is a Greatest Hits package which has sold well due to excellent longevity and it's all down to her 80s hits - nothing to do with the 90s. It's not even an era and can't be compared to a studio album. The Beatles '#1' album is one of the best selling albums of all-time and was released in 2000 - that doesn't mean they're one of the most successful acts of the 2000s. So TIC can be taken out of the equation. Meanwhile, in 1990, Janet had the best-selling album of the year as well as 4 top 5 singles and numerous awards.

'Blonde Ambition' was successful, but Janet's 'Rhythm Nation' tour is the most successful debut tour in history. Janet was also a much bigger touring force in the 90s, playing over 300 shows worldwide (including over 200 just in North America), compared to Maddy who played less than 100 worldwide.

The playing field levelled in the late 90s, but even 'Together Again' was bigger than any single from 'Ray of Light'

Leave a comment:

• samo
    replied
    I have the Billboard Diary of a Decade issue from 1999 which lists all their charts and top acts of the 90s in the US

Mariah is the #1 selling artist that decade. Janet is #2 that decade (albums and singles combined) in the US and Madonna is the #6 top selling artist of the 90s in the US.

What was that ranking interesting is that Madonna is the ONLY artist to appear on Billboard's top 10 artists of the of the 80s, she finished at #2 in the 80s behind MJ and the only female in the top 10, to repeat in the top 10 selling artists of the 90s.

Worldwide, Madonna was the #4 top selling artist of the 90s, behind Garth Brooks, Mariah and Celine.

The backlash that Madonna received from 92/93 after the SEX book would of happened anyway because Madonna bad been WAY TOO OVEREXPOSED for too long and was the pop culture IT girl from late 84, when LAV came out, until late 92, when SEX was released.

A backlash from the media was already brewing due to her constant overexposure in the early 90s.

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied
    Originally posted by loowee
    Mariah owned the 90s. Even Madonna was bigger than Janet in the 90s. The ONLY time that Janet was bigger than Madonna was 1993 and 1994. Vogue, Blond Ambition, The Immaculate Collection, Evita, ROL all happened in the 90s. Even the standalone single Beautiful Stranger smashed.
    That's why Billboard named Janet the #2 artist of the decade?

'The Immaculate Collection' is a Greatest Hits package which has sold well due to excellent longevity and it's all down to her 80s hits - nothing to do with the 90s. It's not even an era and can't be compared to a studio album. The Beatles '#1' album is one of the best selling albums of all-time and was released in 2000 - that doesn't mean they're one of the most successful acts of the 2000s. So TIC can be taken out of the equation. Meanwhile, in 1990, Janet had the best-selling album of the year as well as 4 top 5 singles and numerous awards.

'Blonde Ambition' was successful, but Janet's 'Rhythm Nation' tour is the most successful debut tour in history. Janet was also a much bigger touring force in the 90s, playing over 300 shows worldwide (including over 200 just in North America), compared to Maddy who played less than 100 worldwide.

The playing field levelled in the late 90s, but even 'Together Again' was bigger than any single from 'Ray of Light'

Leave a comment:

• loowee
    replied

As for Janet being in the tabloids a lot in the 90s, she was but MJ and Madonna were in the tabloids CONSTANTLY in the 90s

I still remember those cheesy talk shows like Geraldo and Montell William s who devoted WHOLE episodes about Madonna in the 90s. Focusing if course on her "scandalous" private life

There was even an unauthorized 2 hours Madonna tabloid special in primetime hosted by Robin Leach in 1993 called "Madonna Exposed"

As much as I love Janet, she never had that much tabloid exposure like Michael or Madonna had. Janet was considered pretty safe and clean by the tabloid press back then

Madonna, on the other hand, always ended up on the front page of the National Enquirer every other week.
    Maddy was in tabloids for all the wrong reasons though. She was a laughing stock in the early-mid nineties. The nineties belonged to Janet and Mariah.

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied

Leave a comment:

• loowee
    replied
    At the end of the day Madonna was never IT girl)
    You have got to be kidding me. Madonna was by far the biggest global superstar from 1985 to 1990.

Leave a comment:

• samo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Madonna's impact is on another league tho. She's the true definition of influence to any female artist after her. Pretty much like Whitney / Mariah are the definition of vocal influence to any aspiring female singer in the world.

Leave a comment:

• HouseTargaryen
    replied
    Both women's impact will not be touched in my opinion.

Janet is a dancing queen who started New Jacks Swing, which paved the way for many artist of the 90s, including MJ's Dangerous album that sold 30 million. Her Velvet Rope album is considered to be the first Alternative R&B album, which is a popular sound of today's music.

Madonna is the first female to express sexuality, similar to the women if the 20s Jazz era, with no apologies. Plus she helped bring dance/Electronic music back to US. Her popularity is matched with icons like Marilyn and Liz Taylor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X