X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westen
    replied
    So, recap:

5,992,000, The Immaculate Collection (2013, +130,279)
    3,891,000, Ray of Light (2011, +44,859)
    2,934,000, Music (2011, -11,534?)*
    2,336,000, Bedtime Stories (2011, +21,854)
    2,102,000, Something to Remember (2011, +11,414)
    2,025,000, Evita (2011, +16,444)
    1,905,000, Erotica (2011, +10,908)
    1,734,000, Confessions on a Dance Floor (2011, +25,706)
    1,397,000, GHV2 (2011, +6,095)
    751,000, Hard Candy (2012, +7,000)
    238,000, Rebel Heart (2015, +36,000)

55,000,000, Mariah
    52,600,000, Celine
    34,700,000, Shania
    33,500,000, Britney
    30,500,000, Reba
    29,800,000, Taylor
    28,500,000, Madonna
    27,300,000, Enya

3,100,000, 4 Minutes (2013, +38,814)
    1,400,000, Hung Up (2010, +200,000)
    1,100,000, Like a Prayer (2012, +507,872)

* Of course it wouldn't be Madonna update if there were no sudden mistakes, of course Music somehow lost sales. During years 2004-2011 it was selling per year almost as much as ROL so i assume its update should be around +35k-40k)

Nice sales for RH tbh, i thought it was around 220,000 max

AMAZING sales for LAP, it's becoming her biggest song, big updates in both US and UK this year, it was never in top or even top 200 on itunes during last few years and yet it sold over 500k. AMAZING! Shame they didn't give us more updates on singles

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Finally some sales updates
    As for Madonna's career U.S. album sales since Nielsen Music began tracking retail in 1991 (through the week ending Dec. 8, 2016), here are her 10 best sellers:
    5,992,000, The Immaculate Collection (1990)
    3,891,000, Ray of Light (1998)
    2,934,000, Music (2000)
    2,336,000, Bedtime Stories (1994)
    2,102,000, Something to Remember (1995)
    2,025,000, Evita (soundtrack) (1996)
    1,905,000, Erotica (1992)
    1,734,000, Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005)
    1,397,000, GHV2: Greatest Hits Volume 2 (2001)
    751,000, Hard Candy (2008)

Meanwhile, Madonna's most recent LP, 2015's Rebel Heart, has sold 238,000. Her career album sales in the Nielsen era stand at 28.5 million, making her the 34th-best-selling album artist in that 25-year-plus span. She ranks at No. 7 among women in the stretch.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... lbum-sales

Looking at Madonna's digital song sales (since Nielsen began tracking downloads in 2003), 2008's "4 Minutes," featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland, leads with 3.1 million sold. She boasts two other million-selling downloads: 2005's "Hung Up" (1.4 million) and her 1989 classic "Like a Prayer" (1.1 million)

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    In the US, I find TIC cds at Walmart & Best Buy. They also have Madonna, LAV, TB and LAP discounted $4.99-$7.99.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Madonna's catalogue sales from her studio albums are bad because of the greatest hits and compilation albums she's done, especially "The inmaculate collection" which basically killed part of potential catalogue sales for her first four albums. Many people that want to revisit her extense catalogue can buy either "The inmaculate collection", "GHV2" or "Celebration".

This is common about female pop stars, once they release GHs albums is not unusual their catalogue sales for studio albums diminish and their compilations eventually become their best catalogue sellers. In the rock field its different because the rock industry is not much singles oriented and greatest hits releases are not as frequent as in the Mainstream pop field, so studio albums by Pink Floyd, Metallica, Nievana or Led Zeppelin constantly have good catalogue sales.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowplay
    replied
    Don't know about other countries, but both in the UK and in italy is quite easy to find TIC and Celebration (and LAV, LAP, TB, Madonna as well). HMV always stocks them.
    Problems come with her latest releases: I couldn't find any copy of Mdna or RH in London, not even at Fopps, while her Girlie Show bootleg cd was available :-D
    it really seems Interscope reduced its shipments to the minimum, or shops returned them any unsold copy

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by maroon
    Originally posted by Westen
    Go back to RH threads here and you'll see that more fans complained about that.
    Every artist's fans will always be complaining about it as they'll never find their idol's exposure sufficient.
    Of course it' impassible to carry a discussion with you. I mean your word is no different than mine.

Leave a comment:

• maroon
    replied
    Every artist's fans will always be complaining about it as they'll never find their idol's exposure sufficient.

Leave a comment:

• MusicLover88
    replied
    ^and #232 US iTunes

Leave a comment:

• MusicLover88
    replied
    RH #172 Canadian iTunes

Leave a comment:

• tada
    replied
    Well, Madonna should have kept her own label with distribution deal, she will record what she wants anyway, promote if she wants and will not let anyone force her so...i guess if she's not happy with Interscope, she will deal with it

Leave a comment:

• AlphaMale
    replied
    Originally posted by AlphaMale
    She wasn't "given" to Interscope! They bought her recording contract from LN! She's not hazard material that no one can't touch!
    How many women in the past couple of years have sold more than a million copies WW of their albums?
    No, she was given, i guess you missed that interview last year from LiveNation. They literally said that they have made mistake with the deal because they realized that they would have to release albums too so she was 'sold' to Interscope. She wasn't signed to Interscope because they approached her or she asked them, she was moved there. There's a big difference.
    "ON 360 DEALS (AND THAT TIME THEY ADDED ALBUM DEALS TO THE MIX): "It's an insurance policy for the band. That motive to us is the best. We're fully vested, we've got sponsorship, we're trying to bring deals to the table to build the pot. At that point, what happened is, when we started talking to the U2's and the Madonna's about this kind of deal, they'd say ‘geez, to buy my rights to touring for ten years, that's 85 percent of my value… why don't I just throw the record on top of that. It's almost like a cherry on top of the… We didn't wake up thinking we wanna be a record label but we went, ‘I get it,' because that's their leverage, so let's do it. Now, we didn't do it with U2, which was smart — we just stayed to our knitting. Madonna, we ended up taking the cherry."

ON WHY IT DIDN’T WORK: "We're not in the rights business. Back then we didn't have any secret sauce on how to distribute that record than somebody else. That's why we thus sold Shakira and Madonna back to the label to recoup our record investment."

Sold not given! Get your facts straight!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/busin ... -360-deals
    I didn't mean it like literally give for free

LiveNation passed her to the label that wasn't interested in her and that she wasn't interested in. When she signed that deal she signed everything, and then she was moved there. It wasn't mutual decision between Madonna and Interscope, and the fact is that since she's there her downfall began.
    That's what you get when you don;t wanna work together.
    Wait! You're saying that Interscope doesn't want Madonna? And still they paid her to release her albums through them? How noble of them!

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    She wasn't "given" to Interscope! They bought her recording contract from LN! She's not hazard material that no one can't touch!
    How many women in the past couple of years have sold more than a million copies WW of their albums?
    No, she was given, i guess you missed that interview last year from LiveNation. They literally said that they have made mistake with the deal because they realized that they would have to release albums too so she was 'sold' to Interscope. She wasn't signed to Interscope because they approached her or she asked them, she was moved there. There's a big difference.
    "ON 360 DEALS (AND THAT TIME THEY ADDED ALBUM DEALS TO THE MIX): "It's an insurance policy for the band. That motive to us is the best. We're fully vested, we've got sponsorship, we're trying to bring deals to the table to build the pot. At that point, what happened is, when we started talking to the U2's and the Madonna's about this kind of deal, they'd say ‘geez, to buy my rights to touring for ten years, that's 85 percent of my value… why don't I just throw the record on top of that. It's almost like a cherry on top of the… We didn't wake up thinking we wanna be a record label but we went, ‘I get it,' because that's their leverage, so let's do it. Now, we didn't do it with U2, which was smart — we just stayed to our knitting. Madonna, we ended up taking the cherry."

ON WHY IT DIDN’T WORK: "We're not in the rights business. Back then we didn't have any secret sauce on how to distribute that record than somebody else. That's why we thus sold Shakira and Madonna back to the label to recoup our record investment."

I didn't mean it like literally give for free

LiveNation passed her to the label that wasn't interested in her and that she wasn't interested in. When she signed that deal she signed everything, and then she was moved there. It wasn't mutual decision between Madonna and Interscope, and the fact is that since she's there her downfall began.
    That's what you get when you don;t wanna work together.

Originally posted by maroon
    Even when RH was released fans were mad because it was hard to find her in shops (my sister saw only one copy when she bought it and she visited 2 Walmart).
    She must have been very unlucky. I saw multiple copies of RH in virtually every shop I went to during the first weeks upon release. And back then I was in Japan, hardly her biggest market yet the album had a very solid exposure there. When I came back to Europe, the situation was similar.

Leave a comment:

• maroon
    replied
    Even when RH was released fans were mad because it was hard to find her in shops (my sister saw only one copy when she bought it and she visited 2 Walmart).
    She must have been very unlucky. I saw multiple copies of RH in virtually every shop I went to during the first weeks upon release. And back then I was in Japan, hardly her biggest market yet the album had a very solid exposure there. When I came back to Europe, the situation was similar.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaMale
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by ChallengeMe
    Anyway the lack of relevant rereleases in physical shops tend to make her catalogue more absent. Who cares for old abums with very low-quality sound? Never had her catalogue been so unttractive for all generations. Those who hale already everything and those who don't and who can get everything on second hand for nothing.
    That might explain why her back catalogue never comes back on most markets, unlike Pink Floyd and lots of veteran acts who are always on Itunes 200.
    She should be less concernend her age and being played on radio and more about being an artist with music to release to show that she's still here.
    Not really true.
    LAP and TB re-entered UK album chart just few weeks ago because one label decided to print vinyls for them (top 50 both albums!). A bunch of her albums actually re-entered charts in US and UK this year. TIC reentered both UK and US album charts this year several chimes. Celebration renetred UK, LAV US etc.

TIC is one of the biggest sellers in UK, spent weeks in top 100 on itunes this year, but it's out of print for 10 years now. When it reentered BB200 chart this year it literally had 0 physical copies sold, so her label should've planned Celebration better if they wanted it to replace TIC. Celebration ended up being terrible GH album and no wonder people would rather buy TIC.

Warner doesn't have to do anything now when it comes to her catalog, why would they? She left them almost 10 years ago...

Leave a comment:

• ChallengeMe
    replied
    Anyway the lack of relevant rereleases in physical shops tend to make her catalogue more absent. Who cares for old abums with very low-quality sound? Never had her catalogue been so unttractive for all generations. Those who hale already everything and those who don't and who can get everything on second hand for nothing.
    That might explain why her back catalogue never comes back on most markets, unlike Pink Floyd and lots of veteran acts who are always on Itunes 200.
    She should be less concernend her age and being played on radio and more about being an artist with music to release to show that she's still here.

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AlphaMale
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by ChallengeMe
    UK itunes
    #134 Celebration (Deluxe Version) [#92 excluding compilations]
    #135 The Immaculate Collection [#93 excluding compilations]
    #255 Celebration [#191 excluding compilations]
    #1097 Confessions on a Dance Floor
    #1184 True Blue
    #1258 Ray of Light
    Well and almost nothing everywhere else. That's terrible how badly Madonna's back catalogue is dealt with. I guess the last time Warner tried to exploit it was in 2000 or 2001 when they rereleased the first three albums. I guess in Europe and in the USA we have'nt got any wide back catalogue rerelease.
    She must be the only big star in the whole world in that situation. Am I wrong?

By the way Madonna and Interscope aren't doing better with RH live. Still no announce for any release date, no cover... I know they make lots of cash with Showtime, but the next day it is free on illegal downloads for everyone and only American people enjoy it. Why they don't release it before Christmas is a mystery.

Do you know how much she is paid for such a broadcast? Tv audiences for her previous shows on Showtime? Thanks.

I think Madonna once said that she won't be milking her catalog or something like that. Warner won't do anything now, Interscope won't do anything now. In fact Interscope didn't even wanted to sign her, she was given to them after LiveNation decided not to fund releases of her albums. There were rumors that she actually paid for videos like BIM because label didn't wanted. They also scrapped her idea of double album because it was too expensive for them.

Her CK came during wrong time, it's Christmas season, no one cares about this now, she had nothing out to promote unlike most acts that were in that car.

Album: Celebration
    iTunes:
    #133 Russia
    #142 Spain
    #144 United Kingdom
    #148 Norway
    #194 Belgium

Album: Rebel Heart
    iTunes:
    #139 Spain
    #161 Turkey
    #186 Canada

Album: The Immaculate Collection
    iTunes:
    #111 Australia
    #145 United Kingdom

Sorry, i don't know how much she's paid for premiere.

Leave a comment:

• ChallengeMe
    replied
    UK itunes
    #1184 True Blue
    #1258 Ray of Light
    Well and almost nothing everywhere else. That's terrible how badly Madonna's back catalogue is dealt with. I guess the last time Warner tried to exploit it was in 2000 or 2001 when they rereleased the first three albums. I guess in Europe and in the USA we have'nt got any wide back catalogue rerelease.
    She must be the only big star in the whole world in that situation. Am I wrong?

By the way Madonna and Interscope aren't doing better with RH live. Still no announce for any release date, no cover... I know they make lots of cash with Showtime, but the next day it is free on illegal downloads for everyone and only American people enjoy it. Why they don't release it before Christmas is a mystery.

Do you know how much she is paid for such a broadcast? Tv audiences for her previous shows on Showtime? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    UK itunes
    #1184 True Blue
    #1258 Ray of Light

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by sniper
    Those manipulations to pull gaga out of the bubbling under hot20 artists are funny
    Why are you starting a fight? Please don't do that in Madonna's thread anymore

On topic
    United Kingdom
    iTunes Albums:
    126. The Immaculate Collection
    144. Celebration

Leave a comment:

• sniper
    replied
    Those manipulations to pull gaga out of the bubbling under hot20 artists are funny

Leave a comment:

• adriano
    replied
    Thank u! So at 14 for top female is right

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by nympho
    Billboard Top Female Artists (2016)

1. Adele
    2. Beyonce
    3. Rihanna
    4. Ariana Grande
    5. Selena Gomez
    6. Meghan Trainor
    7. Taylor Swift
    8. Sia
    9. Fifth Harmony
    10. Carrie Underwood
    11. Alessia Cara
    12. Daya
    13. Demi Lovato
    14. Madonna
    15. Halsey
    16. Ellie Goulding
    17. Nicki Minaj
    18. Celine Dion
    19. Britney Spears
    20. Elle King
    http://www.billboard.com/charts/year-en ... sts-female

That list you posted is fake.
    As you can see, Fifth Harmony are not there on the official Billboard chart (as they're charting in the Duo/Groups chart).

So the Top 20 would be:

Billboard Top Female Artists (2016)

1. Adele
    2. Beyonce
    3. Rihanna
    4. Ariana Grande
    5. Selena Gomez
    6. Meghan Trainor
    7. Taylor Swift
    8. Sia
    9. Carrie Underwood
    10. Alessia Cara
    11. Daya
    12. Demi Lovato
    13. Madonna
    14. Halsey
    15. Ellie Goulding
    16. Nicki Minaj
    17. Celine Dion
    18. Britney Spears
    19. Elle King
    20. Lady Gaga
    I copied it from Britney's thread. Calm down.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X