2 (NEW) = (3,099)

Combo Chart
      7 (NEW) = (14,616)

Great numbers for a western release.

Comment

• Denmark

02 (03) 07 Shivers

05 (04) 18 Bad Habits
        Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnderF10 View Post
          Japan (Oricon)

Physical Albums
          9 (NEW) = (8,825)

Digital Albums
          2 (NEW) = (3,099)

Combo Chart
          7 (NEW) = (14,616)

Great numbers for a western release.
          Has it been released early in Japan?

Comment

• ^It was released on 10/29

Comment

• Ed is on 116k in today’s uk midweek update, again very disappointing, it may just make 150k

Comment

• Originally posted by Britneysdream View Post
                Ed is on 116k in today’s uk midweek update, again very disappointing, it may just make 150k
                That would be about 4% of 'Divide's total, which is probably the lowest share for a mainstream release in a while.
                Pro: freedom of speech
                Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

That would be about 4% of 'Divide's total, which is probably the lowest share for a mainstream release in a while.
                  It is bad and considering he spent 16 weeks at number 1 on the singles chart you would have through this streaming would be much better, but no, doing 115k isn’t good for Ed no one expects 600k or more, but I thought he would do between 250 to 300k

Comment

• 14. Shivers: 50.65 (+0.22)
                    14. Shivers: 50.43 (-0.22)
                    And the 8th day God created KYLIE!!! <3

Comment

It is bad and considering he spent 16 weeks at number 1 on the singles chart you would have through this streaming would be much better, but no, doing 115k isn’t good for Ed no one expects 600k or more, but I thought he would do between 250 to 300k
                      The irony is that 250-300k in one week would be a huge result in general but would still be less than 10% of 'Divide's total, which shows you what a huge smash that album was. And 'x' of course was as well.
                      But I totall get you. And on top of that, 'Divide' returned to the top 10 recently - I mean, how many albums do that after having been out for so long already? But maybe '=' will make up for the lower opening with his usual longevity of staying in the top 10 for aaaages.

Comment

• He already has the biggest opening of the year in the UK and the week hasn‘t even ended. The hey days of outstanding sales are gone, you all should get used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                          He already has the biggest opening of the year in the UK and the week hasn‘t even ended. The hey days of outstanding sales are gone, you all should get used to it.
                          You forget Adele is coming, she pulls outstanding numbers every single time, she is unique

Comment

You forget Adele is coming, she pulls outstanding numbers every single time, she is unique
                            Well, if it's not guaranteed for Ed Sheeran, it may not be for Adele either.
                            As I previously stated, both are only 2 out of 3 artists who ever scored back-to-back albums selling 3 mio.+ copies in the UK.

Comment

• ^
                              Didn't ABBA had like more than 100k pre-orders in UK in the 1st week alone?

ABBA and obviously Adele will have much better opening numbers, above 200k and 300k respectively being cautious.
                              So Ed's record of biggest opening of the year will be broken next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post
                                ^
                                Didn't ABBA had like more than 100k pre-orders in UK in the 1st week alone?

ABBA and obviously Adele will have much better opening numbers, above 200k and 300k respectively being cautious.
                                So Ed's record of biggest opening of the year will be broken next week.
                                Yes they do 100k in pre orders already,
                                adele also has 500k in Vinyl pre orders which is a record amount according to Sony and variety

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

Well, if it's not guaranteed for Ed Sheeran, it may not be for Adele either.
                                  As I previously stated, both are only 2 out of 3 artists who ever scored back-to-back albums selling 3 mio.+ copies in the UK.
                                  I think Adele and Ed are two different things tbh. Adele has the most successful album of the century, the record for the biggest opening week ever and the biggest streaming weeknever for "Easy On Me" (and many more).
                                  So I still think Adele will blow us away Eben though Ed isn't.

Comment

Well lets not forget that Adele also had a massive decline in overall sales herself from 21 to 25 and will likely decline again with 30.

However these opening numbers of Ed should at least end the errenous comparisons being made between Ed and Adele, at least in terms of albums. He is really nowhere near her level of dominance in 2021, not was he ever. I mean have any of his album even crossed 20 million WW, with streaming added in ?

Also Divide didnt "sell" 3 million copies in the UK, that figure included streaming where as Adele actually sold well over 3 million in actual sales of 25 and well over 5 million of actual pure sales of 21 so again on a different level from Ed entirely.
                                    Last edited by InFamous; Thu November 4, 2021, 14:31.
                                    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• ABBA are returning after 40 years. Adele is Adele, no comparison there. Ed Sheeran is probably the third most successful artist of our current times, even with those "disappointing" numbers. Also never got why people tried to compare Ed with Adele, like, they are in different leagues!

And honestly of course Ed's record is going to be broken next week (and then the record is going to be broken in the following week again). My point was, he has the biggest opening of the year after just a few days. That's huge! And it's not like the record will be broken because of a "random" artist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                        Also never got why people tried to compare Ed with Adele, like, they are in different leagues!
                                        You have got to explain this. I followed 'x's, 'Divide's and '25's global chart performance precisely, and it feels like people are underestimating Ed Sheeran's achievements while at the same time overestimating Adele's.
                                        Did no one here notice how 'Divide' stayed in the top 10 for more than 2 years in multiple countries?
                                        For the record: That's happened only once before - with Ed Sheeran's other album.
                                        'x' stayed in the Irish top 10 for 3 (!) years and could still be found at No. 1 2.5 years after its release there.
                                        Adele was hugely celebrated for recently returning to the top 10 with her albums. Why isn't Ed Sheeran for exactly doing the same?
                                        Not to forget that there were countries where 'Divide' stayed at No. 1 for 30+ weeks.
                                        'Divide' had this monster opening in the UK, and 'Shape Of You' was at least as big as 'Hello' if not bigger (not to forget 'Perfect').
                                        In almost (?) every country, Adele had the bigger opening sales, but apart from the US, Ed Sheeran has got the better chart performance.

Comment

• Well 100k pure sales in only 7 days is amazing in 2021 standarts.I didn't expect him to open with 250-300k pure btw.His collabration album killed the hype imo

Comment

• Oh god someone can stay in the Top10 for 100 weeks and sell like 50k and someone can stay in the Top10 for 20 weeks and sell 2m. Spot the difference.

Just because Ed stayed in the upper half of the charts for a long time doesn‘t mean he‘s in the same league as Adele when it comes to sales. And people are surprised by his sales right now.

Comment

• I think the difference between both Adele’s previous album and Ed’s previous album would be the pure sales divide sold 8 million pure according to chartmasters whereas 25 sold 20 million pure! 25 wasn’t on streaming to begin with whereas Ed was so he ended up selling 26 million units according to chartmasters due to his huge streaming! And 25 currently sits at 28 million

this is why I’m shocked by his streams this time around it’s tiny in comparison

Comment

• Looking at the Streaming his singles are doing well - it is the non-single tracks that are streaming very poorly.

Comment

• Tansike : Ever since streaming became a more dominant chart factor, I started focussing more on chart performance than sales and certifications since charts are better at showing an album's relative popularity compared to others, while sales are heavily depending on the size of the market.
                                                  I assume you favor sales instead of chart performance when doing chart analysis?

Comment

• Hungary

04 (04) 18 Bad Habits

25 (35) 07 Shivers
                                                    Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X