Britney Spears :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Britney Spears :: Charts & Sales History

Boys is at least in Goldmember and that gets played on US television quite often. It will continue to be known because of that. Break the Ice I think is a "gay classic" for younger fans so again I think that helps it.

It's such a shame Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know is mostly forgotten. It's one of her best ballads in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman
      It's such a shame Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know is mostly forgotten. It's one of her best ballads in my opinion.
      Yeah, I wonder why! The video was so popular back then because it was directed by Herb Ritts and Britney and her love interest made quite the headlines too! I feel like the image was so raunchy that it felt like a Britney era song more than an Oops! song to be honest.

Comment

• Speaking of flops . . .

"Ooh La La" music video hits 97 million views on Youtube. I can't believe this random childish flop will reach 100m
        Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix
          Speaking of flops . . .

"Ooh La La" music video hits 97 million views on Youtube. I can't believe this random childish flop will reach 100m
          Mess This is shocking considering it only has 9 million streams on Spotify. But I'll take another certified video.

"Everytime" is 2 million views away from 100 million as well.

Comment

• Most Streamed Songs From Teen Pop Era (1996-2002) [YouTube + Spotify]

700,000,000+
            Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way - 729,005,336

500,000,000+
            Spice Girls - Wannabe - 593,810,531
            Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time - 500,902,860

300,000,000+
            Britney Spears - Oops!... I Did It Again - 318,828,303

200,000,000+
            *NSYNC - Bye Bye Bye - 293,654,084
            Backstreet Boys - As Long As You Love Me - 251,924,095
            Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back) - 241,089,823

100,000,000+
            Christina Aguilera - Genie in a Bottle - 193,021,473
            Backstreet Boys - Shape Of My Heart - 164,147,386
            Backstreet Boys - Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely - 145,811,101
            Britney Spears - Sometimes - 138,339,504
            Britney Spears - (You Drive Me) Crazy - 132,530,726
            *NSYNC - It's Gonna Be Me - 127,393,299
            *NSYNC - This I Promise You - 124,088,474
            Britney Spears - Lucky - 119,759,743
            Britney Spears - Stronger - 118,602,122
            Backstreet Boys - Quit Playing Games With My Heart - 111,324,036
            Britney Spears - I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman - 101,792,600
            Britney Spears - Overprotected - 101,669,884

Britney Spears - 8 songs
            Backstreet Boys - 6 songs
            *NSYNC - 3 songs
            Spice Girls - 1 song
            Christina Aguilera - 1 song

Comment

• Pero Me Acuerdo De Ti is missing from this list^ It has 220 million streams
              Originally posted by Instinct
              [b]Most Streamed Songs From Teen Pop Era (1996-2002) [YouTube + Spotify]

Comment

• Originally posted by Floormachine
                Pero Me Acuerdo De Ti is missing from this list^ It has 220 million streams
                Originally posted by Instinct
                [b]Most Streamed Songs From Teen Pop Era (1996-2002) [YouTube + Spotify]
                Thats not a Teen Pop song. That is a Latin / AC song.
                Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Going by ChartMasters / CSPC, "Glory" has surpassed 800,000 album equivalents

As of February 2018

Since then, we know Glory is closer to 155,000 in the US rather than 150,000, so that's another 5,000 pure sales (380,000 in total).

Streaming numbers as of June 29, 2018:

Spotify - 247,471,446
                  YouTube - 111,634,960 (Make Me) + 80,691,343 (Slumber Party) = 192,326,303

Audio Stream – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
                  Video Stream – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit

Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = 272/157 * Spotify streams / 1500 + YouTube views / 11750
                  Comprehensive audio streaming is up to 428,742,072, which equals to 285,828 album sales. Adding 16,368 album equivalents from YouTube gives us a total of 302,196.

Pure Album Sales - 380,000
                  Streaming Sales - 302,000
                  Track Sales - 123,000
                  Total - 805,000

MJD actually underestimated Glory's single sales in the US by over 100k so I'm not even including that.

(And yes, I'm aware this is not an official number before someone has a meltdown)

Comment

I find it amazing that the album sold so little worldwide, considering how much people focus on her supposed longevity.

If you look at her sales since 2003, she's been on a steady decline, aside from Circus - which was really a return to form and a major success looking back.

Some of it will be due to general music industry decline, and change in consumption but you can really see a marked decline in performance.

Comment

• Yeah @Instinct I think "Glory" is over 800K CPSC WW units by now.

And yeah Britney had a decline in sales but she was able to maintained her success with her first two albums (back to back Diamond albums) and then she rebounded with "Circus" in 2008 (and that was actually her 6th album). "Femme Fatale" scored hit singles and now thanks to the SPS system inclusion its units have increased even more as the album's equivalents units go.

Declining didn't mean she was not having success tho, IMO Britney never really flopped up until "Britney Jean" in 2013 and that was after having released 7 studio albums that yielded hit singles since 1998 (so yeah , her longevity is not "supposed", its real).

Other artists such as Alicia Keys, George Michael, Lady Gaga, Avril Lavigne, Justin Timberlake (since 2nd album), etc had worse non-stop declines with each album than Britney's (without an actual rebounding record like "Circus") and I don't see anyone saying something about it. So it's always been fascinating to me how many people (even MJDangerous) always seem to have something to say about the sales decline Britney had.

Comment

Other people have fallen harder, and she can at least fall back on her status (which enables her to perform in large arenas across the world).

I find your inclusion of George Michael to be interesting - why him? Hadn't really thought of him as a comparable artist but I suppose he was an equivalent to Britney prior to his artistic growth with the Faith record.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne
                          Other people have fallen harder, and she can at least fall back on her status (which enables her to perform in large arenas across the world).
                          Yes I agree. I think artists successfully construct the so-called "Status" when they develop actual trajectories. The thing with Britney is that even though she's flopping now (and probably will keep flopping from now on) she wasn't a girl with just 2-3 successful albums in her back catalogue, She scored hit singles and success with 7 studio eras (8 eras if we include "Greatest Hits: My Prerogative" which also had studio-album type of success and even "The singles collection" yieled a #1 Billboard hit, but I won't count that one), so she has an actual trajectory of considerable success including about 2 dozens of international hit singles. She secured a strong legacy. "Britney Jean" and "Glory" only represent a share of 2/9 flop eras. Her success rate is basically 7/9.

Originally posted by Wayne
                          I find your inclusion of George Michael to be interesting - why him? Hadn't really thought of him as a comparable artist but I suppose he was an equivalent to Britney prior to his artistic growth with the Faith record.
                          Ever since he debuted solo he had a massive decline, he went from "Faith" selling 18M- 20M straight to selling 7M with his follow up album and he never recovered after that. Honestly I always viewed him as the type of artist that non-stop declined until oblivion (Alanis Morissette style). Many artists do.

I have studied a lot of artists and the more I study them the more I appreciate Britney's trajectory.

Comment

• Originally posted by Instinct
                            Going by ChartMasters / CSPC, "Glory" has surpassed 800,000 album equivalents

As of February 2018

Since then, we know Glory is closer to 155,000 in the US rather than 150,000, so that's another 5,000 pure sales (380,000 in total).

Streaming numbers as of June 29, 2018:

Spotify - 247,471,446
                            YouTube - 111,634,960 (Make Me) + 80,691,343 (Slumber Party) = 192,326,303

Audio Stream – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
                            Video Stream – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit

Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = 272/157 * Spotify streams / 1500 + YouTube views / 11750
                            Comprehensive audio streaming is up to 428,742,072, which equals to 285,828 album sales. Adding 16,368 album equivalents from YouTube gives us a total of 302,196.

Pure Album Sales - 380,000
                            Streaming Sales - 302,000
                            Track Sales - 123,000
                            Total - 805,000

MJD actually underestimated Glory's single sales in the US by over 100k so I'm not even including that.

(And yes, I'm aware this is not an official number before someone has a meltdown)
                            Cool.

One more single like Change Your Mind and that would be nearly 1 million SPS. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne
                              I find it amazing that the album sold so little worldwide, considering how much people focus on her supposed longevity.

If you look at her sales since 2003, she's been on a steady decline, aside from Circus - which was really a return to form and a major success looking back.

Some of it will be due to general music industry decline, and change in consumption but you can really see a marked decline in performance.
                              Well, not many pop artists (especially female) have been blessed with an era as big as Circus over 10 years into their career. Or even an era as big as Femme Fatale 13 years in. I think her longevity is outstanding for a female pop star.

I'm probably gonna get called dragged for making this comparison, but her career trajectory reminds me a bit of Mariah's in a way. Obviously, Mariah is more successful and all, but there are some similarities for sure.

Mariah dominated the 1990s (along with Celine Dion)
                              Britney dominated the 2000s (along with Eminem)

Then Mariah faced a major flop 11 years into her career (Glitter), just like Britney did 15 years into her career (Britney Jean). Those two albums are very similar in terms of commercial performance (ie: both were their first major flops, both spawned one moderate hit, both are around 1-2 million album equivalents, etc)

The biggest difference is that Mariah had her comeback 15 years into her career, while Britney had hers 10 years into her career. Why? Because Mariah flopped before Britney did. After their respective comebacks, they both scored another #1 album that spawned one #1 hit (Femme Fatale and E=MC2). Those two albums did similar numbers (E=MC2 sold more in terms of pure sales but Femme Fatale did better in terms of album equivalents).

But Mariah comparison aside, I don't think she's doing THAT badly. I think it's very telling that she's still able to sell out large arenas and parks around the world even without any major hits. Glory is far from being the biggest flop era in recent years and like you said, there are people doing far worse than her.

It's not all over for her...

-In 2013-2017, she grossed $137 million in Vegas with the fourth highest-grossing residency show of all time
                              -In 2016, she was awarded the Millennium Award at the Billboard Music Awards
                              -In 2016, she scored her 20th Top 20 hit in the US with "Make Me..."
                              -In 2016, her 9th studio album "Glory" went #1 in 5 countries including Italy where it became her first #1 album
                              -In 2016, her 9th studio album debuted with 111,000 units in the US, which is a very respectable number in this day and age
                              -In 2017, she performed at arenas/parks/stadiums in Japan, Thailand, Hong Kong, Israel, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore & the Philippines
                              -In 2017, she performed for the biggest crowd of her career in Tel Aviv (55,000+ attendance)
                              -In 2018, she broke record for the highest-grossing single concert in a residency ever in Las Vegas
                              -In 2018, her latest lead single ("Make Me...") became a Platinum certified hit in the US
                              -In 2018, she's selling out arena/park shows in the UK, Germany, France, Norway, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark and Ireland (+ smaller venues in the US)
                              -In 2018, Forbes reported the US leg of her tour has the most expensive ticket prices this summer, along with BTS

There's a reason why she always makes Forbes despite not setting the charts on fire. She's still a very profitable and marketable star 20 years into her career.

Comment

• Interesting analogy @Instinct.

For me its quite different tho. Britney's first 6 albums' pattern reminds me a bit of Madonna's 6 first albums pattern, while her late 3 albums' pattern reminds me of Janet's 2001-2006's pattern.

I'll explain:

Britney's first 3 albums meant her more commercial, friendly, bubblegum pop period with atonishing success, pop culture, global dominance which is what Madonna's first 3 albums meant to her, even though Madonna's process was quite different as she was growing each time with each of her first 3 albums, the trilogy were pretty much the blockbuster period for both of them with each scoring two +20million selling albums and one 10million album and super pop catchy classic singles such as "Like a Virgin", "Lucky Star", "Borderline", "Material Girl" or "Papa Don't preach" for Madonna's case, and "Baby one more time", "Sometimes", "(You drive me) Crazy", "Oops I did it again" or "I'm a Slave 4 U" for Britney.

The 4th album meant a musical change for both of them offering more mature albums that differed a lot from their first 3 albums, They were still huge successful eras but with less sales than their previous three albums, yet both scoring perhaps their respective more acclaimed and respected hit singles ("Like a Prayer" and "Toxic"). Both albums would be followed by their respective compilations "The Inmaculate Collection" and "Greatest Hits: My Prerogative".

The 5th album meant a decline for both of them filled with controversy and raunchy eras ("Erotica" and "Blackout") both albums' performances would be seen as subpar at the time and were outshadowed by tabloids yet would gain cult following years later.

The 6th album was a comeback for both of them with softer / damage control eras such as "Bedtimes Stories" and "Circus" after the previous public backlash they had faced. Madonna had her first #1 US hit in years with "Take a Bow" and Britney got her first #1 hit in 10 years with "Womanizer". Both eras played it safer than their raunchy and wilder previous ones.

-----

Up until that point she had a similar pattern to Madonna but instead following "Ray of light" footsteps for album #7, she instead did a weird bizarre jump straight to Janet's "All For You".

"Femme Fatale" was her "All for you" (the dance, sexual album that yielded hit singles), "Britney Jean" was her "Damita Jo" (the first lukewarm failed project after many years of success) and "Glory" was her "20 Y.O" (her continuing the failing trend album).

Comment

• "In the Zone" has officially crossed 300,000,000 streams on Spotify, becoming Britney's first album to achieve this milestone

01 - Toxic - 206,814,182
                                  02 - Everytime - 46,185,992
                                  03 - Me Against the Music - 15,765,655
                                  04 - Outrageous - 7,002,531
                                  05 - Breathe on Me - 5,955,957
                                  06 - (I Got That) Boom Boom - 4,699,128
                                  07 - The Hook Up - 3,107,299
                                  08 - Touch of My Hand - 2,298,072
                                  09 - Showdown - 2,072,754
                                  10 - Brave New Girl - 1,480,990
                                  11 - Early Mornin’ - 1,354,941
                                  12 - Me Against the Music (Rishi Rich's Desi Kulcha Remix) - 1,337,045
                                  13 - Shadow - 1,165,145
                                  14 - Don’t Hang Up - 493,304
                                  15 - The Answer - 357,397

Total: 300,090,392

Comment

• Her most relevant album

Considering its a very old Pop album and its not a trap / latin / hip hop / rap record which is streaming dominant genres and audience it has done quite well. I think the journey to 400million will be faster now that the streaming industry only becomes bigger and that she has a new tour coming up.

Comment

• New tickets added to Glasgow and Manchester dates! Dublin, Oslo, Berlin, Sandviken are sold out. Just a few tickets for Scarborough, Monchen still selling very well, Antwerp still slowly, 107 tickets to the 1st date and 300 tickets to 2nd date in Paris, London dates doing fine, Birmingham is the worse date and I don't know nothing about Blackpool, hoping for 15k!

Comment

Antwerp selling slowly or what do you mean?
                                        I want it to be sold out in Antwerp :(

Comment

• Originally posted by LotsOfLove
                                          There are only 3 categories left out of like 9 or 10. I'll sell out soon. Sportpaleis is a huge arena (23.5k capacity) and she only sold 9k tickets back in 2011. I think it's doing quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by LotsOfLove
                                            There are only 3 categories left out of like 9 or 10. I'll sell out soon. Sportpaleis is a huge arena (23.5k capacity) and she only sold 9k tickets back in 2011. I think it's doing quite well.
                                            Ok sounds cool! Thanks!

Comment

42k tickets - North America leg
                                              210-220k tickets - European leg

Comment

• Originally posted by matheusbelmont

Is this just an estimation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Britneysdream
                                                  Originally posted by matheusbelmont

Is this just an estimation?
                                                  Yes. The amount of ticket that were put on sale.

Comment

• it’s really annoying billboard don’t count all her albums sold through BMG club etc, as chart masters has her USA album sales at 39 million! I reckon she will pass 40 million in pure sales eventually!

Also I generally have no idea how many singles she has sold in the USA as once again RIAA have or her team have not updated any of her certifications, and massive hits like womanizer remain uncertified, yet me know for a fact she sold 3.6 million copies pure!

So I presume she is around 40 million pure singles and 39 million pure album sales in the USA, a total of 79 million record sales

Comment

• [center:3w2injlh]
                                                      Spotify Stats
                                                      As of September 11, 2018[/center:3w2injlh]

Most Streamed Songs on Spotify

01 - 249,374,117 - Scream & Shout (+5,466,806 from Hit-Boy Remix = 254,840,923)
                                                      02 - 224,082,399 - Toxic
                                                      03 - 164,853,276 - ...Baby One More Time
                                                      04 - 144,792,169 - Oops!... I Did It Again
                                                      05 - 127,255,462 - Work Bitch
                                                      06 - 103,881,450 - Womanizer
                                                      07 - 94,618,226 - Make Me...
                                                      08 - 73,123,180 - Till the World Ends (+8,138,395 from Femme Fatale Remix = 81,261,575)
                                                      09 - 57,038,237 - My Only Wish (This Year)
                                                      10 - 60,004,079 - Circus
                                                      11 - 54,881,451 - Gimme More
                                                      12 - 51,679,886 - I Wanna Go
                                                      13 - 48,320,028 - Everytime
                                                      14 - 46,615,846 - Pretty Girls
                                                      15 - 45,702,470 - I'm a Slave 4 U
                                                      16 - 43,954,806 - Slumber Party
                                                      17 - 43,329,168 - Piece of Me
                                                      18 - 42,288,215 - (You Drive Me) Crazy
                                                      19 - 39,020,072 - Criminal
                                                      20 - 36,310,780 - Stronger
                                                      21 - 35,294,917 - Hold It Against Me
                                                      22 - 35,201,214 - If U Seek Amy
                                                      23 - 33,939,132 - 3
                                                      24 - 34,008,025 - Lucky
                                                      25 - 30,125,030 - Sometimes
                                                      26 - 23,727,848 - Perfume
                                                      27 - 22,126,625 - Overprotected
                                                      28 - 21,083,674 - Radar
                                                      29 - 19,374,944 - SMS (Bangerz)
                                                      30 - 18,654,162 - Break the Ice
                                                      31 - 18,212,368 - I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman
                                                      32 - 17,916,968 - Born to Make You Happy
                                                      33 - 17,630,276 - S&M (Remix)
                                                      34 - 17,307,315 - I Love Rock 'n' Roll
                                                      35 - 17,000,177 - Boys
                                                      36 - 16,919,587 - Me Against the Music
                                                      37 - 15,670,270 - Do You Wanna Come Over?
                                                      38 - 14,548,968 - My Prerogative
                                                      39 - 10,931,869 - Private Show
                                                      40 - 10,668,615 - Change Your Mind (No Seas Cortes)

Since July 10, 2018....

"Toxic" reached 220 million streams
                                                      "...Baby One More Time" reached 160 million streams
                                                      "Oops!... I Did It Again" reached 140 million streams
                                                      "Womanizer" reached 100 million streams
                                                      "Hold It Against Me" left her Top 20 most streamed tracks
                                                      "Stronger" entered her Top 20 most streamed tracks
                                                      "Sometimes" reached 30 million streams
                                                      "Circus" reached 60 million streams

Comment

40 - 10,027,428 - Change Your Mind (No Seas Cortes)

a HIT

Comment

• I'm so glad that "Pretty Girls" is so stalled on Spotify and descending progressively while other songs are gaining more . . . . . . I remember when that piece of cr*p was among her top 10 most streamed songs on Spotify (like back in 2016 or 2017) and I hated that.

from #9 to #14 now . . . and I'm sure it will keep falling more (hopefully out of Top 20 eventually).

Comment

• Britney received a Certification plaque last night awarding "Work Bitch", "Make Me" and "Everytime".

They were honoring her songwriting credits

nmpaorg Honoring the legendary #BritneySpears for her #GoldandPlatinum #songwriting credits! Phenomenal Show tonight at @mgmnationalharbor #mgm #britney
                                                            https://www.instagram.com/p/BlJ6raxBnmS ... e=ig_embed

Comment

[center:39aa1gdw]
                                                              Spotify Stats
                                                              As of July 10, 2018[/center:39aa1gdw]

Most Streamed Songs on Spotify

01 - 242,194,937 - Scream & Shout
                                                              02 - 208,144,491 - Toxic
                                                              03 - 153,528,246 - ...Baby One More Time
                                                              04 - 133,036,855 - Oops!... I Did It Again
                                                              05 - 122,706,592 - Work Bitch
                                                              06 - 97,017,883 - Womanizer
                                                              07 - 92,420,039 - Make Me...
                                                              08 - 71,245,009 - Till the World Ends
                                                              09 - 56,834,851 - My Only Wish (This Year)
                                                              10 - 56,109,295 - Circus
                                                              11 - 51,228,437 - Gimme More
                                                              12 - 50,010,145 - I Wanna Go
                                                              13 - 46,346,313 - Everytime
                                                              14 - 45,578,755 - Pretty Girls
                                                              15 - 42,481,630 - I'm a Slave 4 U
                                                              16 - 42,343,127 - Slumber Party
                                                              17 - 40,839,071 - Piece of Me
                                                              18 - 39,900,541 - (You Drive Me) Crazy
                                                              19 - 37,601,858 - Criminal
                                                              20 - 34,270,733 - Hold It Against Me
                                                              21 - 33,885,549 - Stronger
                                                              22 - 33,226,871 - If U Seek Amy
                                                              23 - 32,560,948 - 3
                                                              24 - 31,643,093 - Lucky
                                                              25 - 28,374,514 - Sometimes
                                                              26 - 23,727,848 - Perfume
                                                              27 - 20,795,630 - Overprotected
                                                              28 - 20,051,806 - Radar
                                                              29 - 18,958,424 - SMS (Bangerz)
                                                              30 - 17,501,547 - Break the Ice
                                                              31 - 17,289,199 - S&M (Remix)
                                                              32 - 17,098,404 - I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman
                                                              33 - 17,000,740 - Born to Make You Happy
                                                              34 - 16,012,995 - I Love Rock 'n' Roll
                                                              35 - 16,130,028 - Boys
                                                              36 - 15,849,103 - Me Against the Music
                                                              37 - 15,067,188 - Do You Wanna Come Over?
                                                              38 - 13,792,475 - My Prerogative
                                                              39 - 10,684,371 - Private Show
                                                              40 - 10,027,428 - Change Your Mind (No Seas Cortes)

Since June 7, 2018....

"...Baby One More Time" reached 150 million streams
                                                              "Oops!... I Did It Again" reached 130 million streams
                                                              "Gimme More" reached 50 million streams
                                                              "I Wanna Go" reached 50 million streams
                                                              "Piece of Me" reached 40 million streams
                                                              "Radar" reached 20 million streams
                                                              "Change Your Mind (No Seas Cortes)" reached 10 million streams, becoming her 40th song to reach this milestone
                                                              "Do You Wanna Come Over" reached 15 million streams
                                                              "I'm a Slave 4 U" overtook "Slumber Party"
                                                              "Break the Ice" overtook "S&M (Remix)"
                                                              Thank you so much for that update! Could you pleeease do a list with the numbers for her albums and her most streamed album tracks as well?
                                                              Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

Working...
                                                              X