Britney Spears :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you so much!

ChartMasters works with shipments, as do all record labels. We always have to keep this in mind when talking about global album sales and certifications. So while it is true that 'Circus' sold around 120-125k at retail, that's not the whole picture as Oricon doesn't track all of the market (though it is pretty close), or even sales outside the chart. With digital sales, shipments, and catalog sales, I think the 150k figure reported by her label makes sense.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Oricon doesn't merge all editions into one. For example, 'Britney' was re-released in 2002 and charted on its own, as 'Britney's Secret Diary'. The CD + DVD version of 'Circus' was released in late March 2009, but that didn't count towards the 125k figure. This is why sales in Japan are usually tricky and Oricon is not always representative of real sales.

Comment

• Originally posted by Instinct View Post
      Thank you so much!

ChartMasters works with shipments, as do all record labels. We always have to keep this in mind when talking about global album sales and certifications. So while it is true that 'Circus' sold around 120-125k at retail, that's not the whole picture as Oricon doesn't track all of the market (though it is pretty close), or even sales outside the chart. With digital sales, shipments, and catalog sales, I think the 150k figure reported by her label makes sense.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Oricon doesn't merge all editions into one. For example, 'Britney' was re-released in 2002 and charted on its own, as 'Britney's Secret Diary'. The CD + DVD version of 'Circus' was released in late March 2009, but that didn't count towards the 125k figure. This is why sales in Japan are usually tricky and Oricon is not always representative of real sales.
      Only the "Britney"-Album chartet seperately. The Circus Deluxe Edition was counting towards the regular version.
      Look:
      Week 16.03.09 - 22.03.09 - pos. 142, 1085 copies
      Week 23.03.09 - 29.03.09 - pos. 75, 2,294 copies (It was the release-week of Circus Deluxe Edition which sold around 1,200 copies, so in this case, ORICON count both editions as one).
      And Digital sales are at max 5k, back then the sales were nearly non-existent ... So I think 150k ist just a very generously round up number.

I like that !
      Last edited by B_IN_ME; Mon June 17, 2019, 00:12.
      Britney 4 EVER.

Comment

• Thanks for the info! Didn't know that. I thought Oricon separated all special editions as it's one tricky chart.

Comment

• ORICON doesn't count digital sales on their charts right? that 125K total as of September 2009 came from physical units only.

Digital sales were very small at the time but that doesn't mean it sold 0 digital units, so the total was definitely higher than 125K as of late 2009 (we don't know how many copies were sold digitally though).
          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• They only started counting digital sales as recently as 2016, and even then, it's a separate chart from the physical (main) one.

Comment

• Amazing posts Instinct. Wow. Where do you get all that stuff from?

Has anyone here ever done a breakdown of Britney’s sales in Germany? I loved MrLeonix‘s post about the Oops era here in Germany and I would be interested to see more of that.

According to Wikipedia she has sold 5.35 million records here but we all know how reliable Wikipedia is.
              Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                Amazing posts Instinct. Wow. Where do you get all that stuff from?

Has anyone here ever done a breakdown of Britney’s sales in Germany? I loved MrLeonix‘s post about the Oops era here in Germany and I would be interested to see more of that.

According to Wikipedia she has sold 5.35 million records here but we all know how reliable Wikipedia is.
                Britney has sold between 7,800,000 and 8,000,000 records in Germany when taking into account Albums, singles and DVD sales.

Her biggest era was "Oops I Did It Again".
                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                  ORICON doesn't count digital sales on their charts right? that 125K total as of September 2009 came from physical units only.

Digital sales were very small at the time but that doesn't mean it sold 0 digital units, so the total was definitely higher than 125K as of late 2009 (we don't know how many copies were sold digitally though).
                  The total of physical sales in September was something around 121/122k [in June 118k] at best.
                  Compared to digital sales nowadays it's safe to say that Circus sold 5k digital at most, so it was something something around 126/127k in September.
                  In the long run Circus hit 130k for sure.
                  The sales on venues during her three shows wouldn't push her sales that much, just look at the minor Glory-Sales.
                  I think Circus crossed the 130k mark and with some not recorded sales we can assume that the realistic number of sales is 135k.
                  Britney 4 EVER.

Comment

• Cool 135K is not that far from Chartmasters' 140K estimation. Still we don't know the exact digital figure (and there's no way to know) so it's safe to say that the most realistic estimation for "Circus" would be between 135K - 140K units in Japan.

The report [MENTION=35001]Instinct[/MENTION] found about Billboard Japan reporting 150K units for "Circus" must have had a reason, I doubt Billboard Japan would just invent stuff randonmly, I guess 150K might have been a shipment figure.

Comment

• Music Week reveals that 'Work Bitch' has sold 224,812 copies as of w/e 13th June. It passed 200k the w/e 13th September, which works out at ~600 copies a week.
                      Last FM <3
                      Instagram

Comment

• Nice!!!

Originally posted by Instinct View Post
                        If it hit 200k in September 2018 then it's probably not much more than that. Maybe 210k ish at the most thanks to ongoing streams.
                        Not me underestimating its sales a few weeks ago. We love a catalog seller.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivica View Post
                          Music Week reveals that 'Work Bitch' has sold 224,812 copies as of w/e 13th June. It passed 200k the w/e 13th September, which works out at ~600 copies a week.
                          wow! that's actually pretty good.
                          Britney - Poppy - Mariah - Lana - Gaga - Bjork

Comment

• Surely it’ll pass TTWE as her best selling solo single in the UK this decade, no?

Comment

• We've been underestimating "Work Bitch" since day 1

Anyways, I wish they revealed Make Me's numbers too, I'm sure we're also underestimating that one.

Comment

• So I did some re-search again and came across some interesting facts regarding her sales in Korea....

'Oops' had two different releases in South Korea, as we can see by the different totals & release dates.

------------

The last time the original version (00-05-16) charted was in February 2001, with a total of 180,567. Please note that this tally excludes sales for November 2000, as the album left the monthly chart during that month.

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...pop_200102.htm

Unfortunately, several months are missing from the Wayback Machine, but thankfully someone on UKMix posted this sales breakdown more than a decade ago.

2000/05---59,769
                                2000/06---37,052
                                2000/07---19,836
                                2000/08---17,031
                                2000/09---12,340
                                2000/10---11,286
                                2000/11
                                2000/12---8,808
                                Total: 166,247

As you can see here, the 2000 year end chart displays the same total (166,247), which proves November sales are not accounted for.

The album left the chart again in January 2001, before re-entering the chart one last time in February

2001/02---6,834

The total for the original version is now 180,567, which means it sold 7,486 in January (and excluding November 2000).

So.....
                                2000/05---59,769
                                2000/06---37,052
                                2000/07---19,836
                                2000/08---17,031
                                2000/09---12,340
                                2000/10---11,286
                                2000/11
                                2000/12---8,808
                                2001/01---7,486
                                2001/02---6,834
                                Total: 180,567 as of February 2001 (excluding November 2000). Probably sold another 9k that month, as the 20th best-selling album that month did 9,598. It's safe to say the original album sold at 190k by February 2001.

-------------------------------

Now, let's get into the other release. This release had a cummulative total of 46,706 during the first half of 2001.

2001/01
                                2001/02
                                2001/03---9,650
                                2001/04---9,366
                                2001/05---7,356
                                2001/06
                                As it did not sell enough to make the Year-End chart, and as we don't have archives for October-December 2001, there's no way to know how much it sold in total. However, it charted one last time in September 2001, and the cummulative total had jumped all the way to 139,403, selling nearly 5k that month.

In conclution, 'Oops' sold 319,970 in South Korea by September 2001. But that total is missing around 9k, plus sales for the original album after February 2001. And of course, the other version was still selling a lot.

MJD's estimate of 300k seems way off. Sales for 'Oops' in Korea are no less than 330k and probably no more than 350k.

Comment

• Double post

Comment

• "...Baby One More Time" is one of the best-selling debut singles in the UK.

Britney Spears - …Baby One More Time
                                    Sales: 1.6 million

Oh baby, baby, how was Britney supposed to know that her first single would be the biggest ever debut single for a female artist? …Baby One More Time is one of the most iconic songs of the 1990s and inspired a generation of pop stars. The first of six UK Number 1 singles for Britney, BOMT finishes as the UK's best-selling single of 1999.
                                    https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...-chart__26529/
                                    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                      We've been underestimating "Work Bitch" since day 1

Anyways, I wish they revealed Make Me's numbers too, I'm sure we're also underestimating that one.
                                      Amen
                                      Forever Young

Comment

• Some corrections of the &quot;Korean-Case&quot;

@Instinct

Years ago (maybe more than a decade ago), we discuss this Korean case already and here is the rectification.

First of all MIAK wasn’t counting these both Oops-versions separately. Look at the “Britney”-Album sales (which I have if you want). They count both versions as one with the release of the CD/DVD-Edition in June 2002. Same thing for the Oops-case.
                                        Secondly, this Special Edition wasn’t released as Cassette, so it’s impossible to generate “MC-Sales”. These figures are from the original version.
                                        Thirdly, the Special Edition was released on 11.12.2000. So there’s no good reason to count these new version-sales not until January.

The failure is located in the September chart-issue from 2001. On this MIAK-issue, for unknown reasons, the sales of 139k are the total Oops-sales of all versions from July 2000 – September 2001. Look closer at the release-date MIAK state: 01.07.2000.
                                        Let me explain that: Oops sold from 05/00 – 06/00 around 97k. Then it sold from 07/00 – 09/01 a further 139k, which is in TOTAL something around 236k. The 139k (once again) are the total sales of all version from 07/00 – 09/01. It was a mistake by MIAK to start counting the Oops-sales after June in their September-issue from 2001.

From October to December 2001 Oops wasn’t in the Top 30 anymore. Due the release of “Britney” we can assume that Oops sold a further 10k at max and of course 10k in 2002 due hr movie and stuff.
                                        The decline of the Korean music market began already in 2003 and was massively the following years, so it’s safe to say, that in the years 2003-2005, Oops sold maybe a further 6k.

So in TOTAL all versions of Oops sold something around 265.000.
                                        Last edited by B_IN_ME; Wed June 19, 2019, 12:00.
                                        Britney 4 EVER.

Comment

• Thank you for your explanation! @B_IN_ME

Thankfully, we do know for a fact that 'Oops' sold no less than 300k

Oops and Britney, both with known MIAK shipments well past 200,000 units, impressively boast past 300,000 overall sales up to date. Please note how the downgrade of certification units required for a Platinum award (from 30,000 to 15,000) enables us to have a very precise idea of their sales.
                                          It was just the different release dates/totals that made no sense to me. MIAK's website, while very helpful, was full of bugs and the fact until 2003 no release to date total was displayed made things even more confusing. I guess that makes sense.

I've been trying to add up her MIAK sales and chart positions, but unfortunately there is no archive for several months that were key for Britney's sales....

July 1999
                                          August 1999
                                          September 1999
                                          October 1999
                                          November 1999
                                          December 1999
                                          April 2000
                                          May 2000
                                          July 2000
                                          August 2000
                                          September 2000
                                          October 2000
                                          December 2000
                                          June 2001
                                          July 2001
                                          August 2001
                                          October 2001
                                          November 2001
                                          December 2001
                                          January 2002
                                          February 2002
                                          March 2002
                                          April 2002
                                          June 2004
                                          July 2004
                                          August 2004
                                          October 2004
                                          November 2004
                                          December 2004
                                          January 2005
                                          February 2005
                                          August 2005
                                          October 2005
                                          December 2005
                                          December 2008

Do you, or anyone, happen to have archives from those months, especially the bolded ones? I'd love to know how her albums ranked in those months!

Comment

• Criminal is getting 80k views daily on YouTube (doing more than songs like Work Bitch, Crazy and Gimme More) Around 34% more than it was doing in May. I wonder why.
                                            Last edited by Artsy; Wed June 19, 2019, 14:30.
                                            Britney - Poppy - Mariah - Lana - Gaga - Bjork

Comment

• [QUOTE=Instinct;7080903]
                                              Thankfully, we do know for a fact that 'Oops' sold no less than 300k

Which fact?
                                              In your posted Flyer with all these certifications around the globe they say BOMT is 2 x P in Korea and Oops is 3 x P in Korea. These are shipment numbers! So why is it safe to say that Oops sold no less than 300k?
                                              We have the figures which says that Oops was at 236k in September 2001.
                                              Even if MIAK hasn't a full market market coverage and we ad some thousand copies I see no reason to claim it's above 300k
                                              It's more near to 300k if we add some generous sales between 2002 und 2005, until the market collapsed.
                                              Last edited by B_IN_ME; Wed June 19, 2019, 16:02.
                                              Britney 4 EVER.

Comment

• Because it's a fact. Those Britney.com certifications are straight from Sony. It's not an estimation nor a random article claiming x figure.

Comment

• I wouldn't say "an estimation" but shipment. And I thought we are interessted in sales not in shipments.
                                                  And I have to say that you should keep in mind that this certification overview was in a press-kit, so of course, they will do some generously data, to promote their "product" and interestet in good looking numbers. I mean they say, Oops was released in May 2001 (look one page further). It's not that they do everything correct.

I have the Baby-sales (and I will post them later) and they are around 125k until the end of 2000. As I said, these article uses shipments.
                                                  Britney 4 EVER.

Comment

• Originally posted by Artsy View Post
                                                    Criminal is getting 80k views daily on YouTube (doing more than songs like Work Bitch, Crazy and Gimme More) Around 34% more than it was doing in May. I wonder why.
                                                    This is cool. I always felt "Criminal" deserved more success when it was released so I'm glad it's doing quite well catalogue-wise now.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X