No announcement yet.

Britney Spears :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [MENTION=35001]Instinct[/MENTION] thanks for all the info, your dedication is much welcomed. You're doing a great job with the thread and I wanted to take the time to appreaciate your efforts, You're the top Britney analyst
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
      This is cool. I always felt "Criminal" deserved more success when it was released so I'm glad it's doing quite well catalogue-wise now.
      Me too. It's good to see at least one Femme Fatale single is still decently streamed.
      Britney - Poppy - Mariah - Lana - Gaga - Bjork

Comment

• Originally posted by Artsy View Post
        Me too. It's good to see at least one Femme Fatale single is still decently streamed.
        who is streaming criminal though ha.. so random
        Forever Young

Comment

• They are indeed shipments, but we have to keep in mind that worldwide sales = shipments. When IFPI reports sales, they report shipments. When an album is certified in Malaysia or the Philippines, it's all based on shipments. Or at least it was that way before the streaming era. For most countries, there's really no way to know exact 'over the counter' sales, and official label figures will always be be better than estimations.

Also, every time a record label makes an official statement about record sales, they will have to pay the related artist royalties accordingly. Thus, unlike what most people will tend to believe, they truly do not want to inflate sales figures. Sometimes there's confusion about the figures they report, as they will claim X album sold X amount when in reality that amount includes single sales, streams, DVD sales, and what not. But at the end of the day, it's an official figure based on facts.

As for the Korean numbers, the figures they reported for her other albums are in line with the MIAK numbers, so why would they inflate 'Oops' only? The most likely scenario is that MIAK is missing several data for this album, as we know the website was full of bugs and mistakes.

To prove how accurate Britney.com is....

'In the Zone' sales according to MIAK
          2003 Year-End Chart - 71,145
          2004 Year-End Chart - 58,880

Total: 130,025

'In the Zone' sales according to Britney.com
          4x Platinum - 120,000 (2006 criteria)
          8x Platinum - 120,000 (2011 criteria)

Which means 'In the Zone' sold a max of 135k using the 2011 certification criteria, as well as a max of 150k using the 2006 certification criteria. In reality, this album sold around 135-140k in total. I don't see any inflation from her label's part.

As for BOMT, thank you so much! Really appreciate it.

Comment

• Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Britney have been pretty unlucky with five #2 albums in UK but that didn't prevent her from getting one of the biggest opening weeks by female artists entering a selected group of female artists that have scored +100K debuts in UK.

I'm compiling a list (still a working list) of solo female artists who've had +100K debuts on the UK chart and so far I've been able to find this:

1. Adele - 25 - 800K
              2. Susan Boyle - I Dreamed A Dream - 411K
              3. Dido - Life For Rent - 400K
              4. Leona Lewis - Spirit - 375K
              5. Norah Jones - Feels Like Home - 235K
              6. Madonna - Confessions On A Dance Floor - 217K
              7. Lady Gaga - Born This Way - 215K
              8. Adele - 21 - 208K
              9. Whitney Houston - Whitney - 200K
              10. Amy Winehouse - Lioness: Hidden Treasures - 195K
              11. Duffy - Rockferry - 180K
              12. Rihanna - Talk That Talk - 163K
              13. Leona Lewis - Echo - 161K
              14. Madonna - Music - 151K
              15. Madonna - Ray Of Light - 140K
              16. Kylie Minogue - Fever - 139K
              17. Alexandra Burke - Overcome - 132K
              18. Cheryl - 3 Words - 125K
              19. Katie Melua - Piece By Piece - 120K
              20. Annie Lennox - Medusa - 120K
              21. Lana Del Rey - Born To Die - 117K
              22. Britney Spears - Greatest Hits: My Prerogative - 115K
              23. Emili Sande - Our Version Of Events - 113K
              24. Beyoncé - Dangerously In Love - 113K
              25. Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You - 112K
              26. Corinne Bailey Rae - Corinne Bailey Rae - 108K
              27. Sinead O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got - 107K
              28. Jessie J - Who You Are - 105K
              29. Cheryl - Messy Little Raindrops - 105K
              30. Susan Boyle - The Gift - 103K
              31. Enya - Shepherd Moons - 103K
              32. Celine Dion - Falling Into You - 100K

--

- 7 albums on that list are from this current decade (the 10s) so Britney's GH:MP could potentially be one of the 10 biggest female debuts registered in UK during the past decade of the 00s.

- Also I assume some female albums in the 90s debuted with +100K units in UK too but for some reason it's a bit hard finding debut numbers from 90s or older albums.

- I know I am forgetting some albums so please don't get defensive, contribute and help me to complete the list with all the +100K female debuts registered in UK history, that would be amazing.
              Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu June 20, 2019, 21:30.
              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

--

- 7 albums on that list are from this current decade (the 10s) so Britney's GH:MP could potentially be one of the 10 biggest female debuts registered in UK during the past decade of the 00s.

- It's worth mentioning that every single of these blockbuster openers easily hit #1 in UK except Britney's (This type of stuff could only happen to Britney).

- I Couldn't find the info about some albums such as Norah Jones' "Feels Like Home" or Kylie Minogue's "Fever" which IMO could have registered +100K opening weeks.

- Also I assume some female albums in the 90s debuted with +100K units in UK too but for some reason it's a bit hard finding debut numbers from 90s or older albums.

- I know I am forgetting some albums so please don't get defensive, contribute and help me to complete the list with all the +100K female debuts registered in UK history, that would be amazing.
                According to HDD Feels Like Home sold +235K in first week
                http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=2...OUND-THE-WORLD

Also Duffy's Rockferry sold 180k

Oops should've been sold +100K too btw

Comment

• Originally posted by Choley View Post

Thanks for the info, I edited the list and added both "Feels Like Home" and "Rockferry".

And no, OIDIA sold 88K on first week.

Comment

Oops missed #1 by 1,200 copies!

Albums 27-5-2000:

01 NE 89,000 The Greatest Hits - Whitney Houston
                    02 NE 88,000 Oops!...I Did It Again - Britney

It had a 6,000 lead over Whitney in the midweeks until Whitney's album was discounted for 9.99 in certain stores.

Comment

• Thanks for the info!
                      I didn't know that discount though but i'm surprised that Oops sold close to 100K in Canada not in UK

Comment

• So, at the time of its release "Greatest Hits" was on the top 5 biggest female debuts? that's amazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by matheusbelmont View Post
                          So, at the time of its release "Greatest Hits" was on the top 5 biggest female debuts? that's amazing.
                          Well, I have no idea since it's still a working list and I have very few info about albums before 2000. I honestly would like to think albums such as "Daydream", "Let's Talk About Love" or "Ray Of Light" opened with +100K in UK. But I don't know, if someone knows this please post it.

But yeah it seems like at the time of its release "GH:MP" had one of the biggest openings by a female artist seen in UK history and even to this date the compiled list is bellow 20 albums (so far).

Comment

• ^ Here's a few of the albums you were looking for and also a few others to add to your list

Madonna - Ray Of Light - 140,000 (#1)
                            Kylie Minogue - Fever - 139,000+ (#1)
                            Alexandra Burke - Overcome - 132,065 (#1)
                            Cheryl - 3 Words - 125,271 (#1)
                            Jessie J - Who You Are - 105,859 (#2)
                            Cheryl - Messy Little Raindrops - 105,431 (#1)
                            Celine Dion - Falling Into You - 100,000 (#1)

Celine's Let's Talk About Love debuted at #1 with 91,000 copies sold.

Comment

• Whitney Houston's "Whitney" opened up at #1 with 200K.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...=%22whitney%22

Kylie opened up at #1 with 98K for "Enjoy Yourself".

Comment

• Thanks guys, I added those albums to the list. Now we have a more accurate list. 25 albums so far.

Comment

• Emeli Sande's Our Version of Events sold 113k

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...t-album__1859/

Comment

Emeli Sande's Our Version of Events sold 113k

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...t-album__1859/
                                    Thanks for the info Choley. Added to the list.

Judging for Whitney's figure I would also assume that after how huge the "Like A Virgin" era was Madonna's "True Blue" also opened with +100K units, I can also see "Like A Prayer" and "The Inmaculate Collection" pulling this but I don't have the info to confirm it.

After that I don't think there are that many releases left to be included, probably a few more but I doubt we pass 35 albums in total, we're getting closer to a definitive list.

Comment

Thanks for the info Choley. Added to the list.

Judging for Whitney's figure I would also assume that after how huge the "Like A Virgin" era was Madonna's "True Blue" also opened with +100K units, I can also see "Like A Prayer" and "The Inmaculate Collection" pulling this but I don't have the info to confirm it.

After that I don't think there are that many releases left to be included, probably a few more but I doubt we pass 35 albums in total, we're getting closer to a definitive list.
                                      I thought the same we can't have all the nformation but we sure Madonna lead that list.
                                      Some of my other guesses are Cher's Love Hurts or Greatest Hits (62-95),Daydream and Anastacia's self-titled album.

Comment

• I seriously doubt cher. I know Love Hurts was much.more successful in the UK than the US. In the US it debuted at #48 with 18,000 copies. I just don't think the discrepancy would be THAT big between the US and UK. Especially in 1991 when in general first week sales were not the final nail like they are today. Album sales were far more spead out over a natural period of time.

Comment

• Great list @MrLeonix, you're all doing a great job. I'm sure we'll have a more complete list soon enough. Can't think of anyone else atm but I'll make sure to keep looking.

I love that she had her biggest debut week 6 years into her career & with her fifth release, rather than with her second album like in most other countries.

Greatest Hits: My Prerogative debuts:

USA - 255K
                                          Japan - 173K
                                          UK - 115K
                                          France - 40K
                                          Canada - 20K

Over 600K sold in just 5 countries alone. Random, but I remember a lot of people making fun of her at the time for releasing a greatest hits album so early into her career, yet she absolutely pulled it off & smashed pretty much everywhere.

I believe Britney is one of the very few pop girls who have sold 100K albums in a week in the US, Japan & UK (the three biggest markets in the world).

Comment

• Originally posted by Instinct View Post
                                            Random, but I remember a lot of people making fun of her at the time for releasing a greatest hits album so early into her career, yet she absolutely pulled it off & smashed pretty much everywhere.
                                            I do remember critics not liking the fact she released a GHs album "so soon" but back in those days it wasn't that unusual for artists to drop GHs quite fast, Eminem for instance released his GHs one year later in 2005.

The thing with "GH:MP" is that it pretty much smashed and had the same level of success of a studio album, it was her 5th consecutive back to back +6million selling album (pure sales). If I'm not wrong she's the only solo female artist from her generation that has that many 6m sellers and the only other female artist who pulled this feat in the last 25 years was Taylor Swift who also had 5 consecutive 6million selling albums (TS, Fearless, SN, Red and 1989).

GH:MP also achieved some pretty cool stuff for her career like getting one of the biggest female opening weeks of all time in UK or scoring a #1 album in Japan's ORICON chart which is perhaps one of the hardest things a foreign artist could do.

As for the UK +100K debuts list, I'll wait and see if more albums get added before making my final and conclusive analysis about the matter.

Comment

• A few more first week openings I found:

18-Mar 1995 Medusa Annie Lennox 120,000
                                              21-Nov 1992 Cher's Greatest Hits 1965-1992 Cher 91,000
                                              29-Jun 1991 Love Hurts Cher 83,600
                                              16-Nov 1991 Shepherd Moons Enya 103,000
                                              24-Nov 1990 The Immaculate Collection Madonna 94,000
                                              24-Mar 1990 I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got Sinead O'Connor 107,000

The biggest solo female openings (seeing as we're not including the Spice Girls).

Comment

• Originally posted by LostAvenger View Post
                                                A few more first week openings I found:

18-Mar 1995 Medusa Annie Lennox 120,000
                                                21-Nov 1992 Cher's Greatest Hits 1965-1992 Cher 91,000
                                                29-Jun 1991 Love Hurts Cher 83,600
                                                16-Nov 1991 Shepherd Moons Enya 103,000
                                                24-Nov 1990 The Immaculate Collection Madonna 94,000
                                                24-Mar 1990 I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got Sinead O'Connor 107,000

The biggest solo female openings (seeing as we're not including the Spice Girls).
                                                Thanks for the info. I added Annie, Enya and Sinead to the list. Surprised TIC didn't make it.

29 albums so far on the list and I think we're getting closer to a definitive list. Still there are some key albums like Madonna's "True Blue" or "Like A Prayer" and Mariah's "Music Box" and "Daydream" (to name a few) that are pending for verification.
                                                Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu June 20, 2019, 20:45.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I added Annie, Enya and Sinead to the list. Surprised TIC didn't make it.

29 albums so far on the list and I think we're getting closer to a definitive list. Still there are some key albums like Madonna's "True Blue" or "Like A Prayer" and Mariah's "Music Box" and "Daydream" (to name a few) that are pending for verification.
                                                  "Daydream" supposedly did 75K first week.

This thread on Buzzjack has the most comprehensive weekly #1 album sales information for the UK: http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index...owtopic=134288

Comment

• Originally posted by LostAvenger View Post
                                                    "Daydream" supposedly did 75K first week.

This thread on Buzzjack has the most comprehensive weekly #1 album sales information for the UK: http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index...owtopic=134288
                                                    Thanks, do you think we have the definitive list now?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X