Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britney - Poppy - Mariah - Lana - Gaga - Bjork

Comment

• Britney Spears' Career Sales & Streams, In Honor of 20 Years of 'Oops!...I Did It Again': Ask Billboard Mailbag

Hi Derek,

May 2000 was big for pop culture, as that month also brought us the premiere of Survivor, on May 31.

(Speaking of, I met Survivor host Jeff Probst briefly in 2014, as we were filing out of New York's Hammerstein Ballroom after Howard Stern's 60th birthday celebration, which I covered for Billboard. Attendees had been given cupcakes, in honor of Stern's big day, and I hadn't eaten mine yet. After awkwardly gushing how big a Survivor fan I was [Probst was very appreciative], I was on such a high. I was walking behind my boss, cupcake in hand, frosting and all, when he suddenly stopped short. Guess what smushed right into the back of his nice, wool/velvety jacket? Somehow, he didn't vote me out …)

Back to Britney … Let's recap the sales of all 15 Spears albums that have hit the Billboard 200 chart, according to Nielsen Music/MRC Data:

10.7 million, …Baby One More Time; 9.2 million, Oops…I Did It Again; 4.4 million, Britney; 3 million, In the Zone; 1.7 million, Circus

1.6 million, Greatest Hits: My Prerogative; 1 million, Blackout; 805,000, Femme Fatale; 280,000, Britney Jean; 268,000, The Singles Collection

170,000, Playlist: The Very Best of Britney Spears; 157,000, Glory; 138,000, B in the Mix: The Remixes; 60,000, The Essential Britney Spears; 30,000, B in the Mix: The Remixes: Vol. 2

Spears has sold 33.8 million albums in the U.S. to date.

As for her most-streamed songs (on-demand audio and video combined) in the U.S.? Here are her top five:

448 million, "Toxic"; 285 million, "…Baby One More Time"; 240 million, "Oops! I Did It Again"; 212 million, "Circus"; 202 million, "Womanizer"

Spears' songs overall have drawn 3.7 billion on-demand U.S. streams. Plus, her radio reach stands at 25.9 billion in cumulative airplay audience.

As you note, Derek, Oops! I Did It Again held the record for 15 years for the biggest sales week ever for an album by a female artist, as it debuted atop the June 3, 2000-dated Billboard 200 with 1,319,000 copies sold in its first week. Adele's 25 broke the mark, among all albums, when it launched with 3,338,000 sold on charts dated Dec. 12, 2015. To date, Oops' opening frame ranks as the seventh-biggest sales week for an album (and remains second, below 25, among sets by women) since Nielsen Music/MRC Data began tracking U.S. sales in 1991.

My boss's former boss, Geoff Mayfield (whose wardrobe I never accessorized with any baked goods), recapped Oops' arrival in the June 3, 2000, Billboard issue, highlighting numerous achievements that the set earned that week:

Meanwhile, Billboard reviewed the album in the May 20, 2000, issue. The title track went on to hit No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, "Lucky" reached No. 23 and "Stronger" climbed to No. 11, while "Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know," as shouted out below, became a global hit, and has drawn 8.8 million on-demand U.S. streams to date.

The review read, "How does a teen phenomenon follow a trend-setting debut that's sold 9-plus million copies in the U.S. alone? With a little more of the same, while also mining new ground that leaves the listener pleasantly intrigued. Oops percolates with a carefully measured blend of familiar pop/funk, R&B and power-balladry.

"Spears may not be a vocal acrobat à la colleagues Jessica Simpson and Christina Aguilera, but she does have an instantly recognizable style, and Oops indicates that she's developing a soulful edge and emotional depth that can't be conjured with a glass-shattering note. This is particularly apparent on the hit-worthy, Shania Twain-[co-]penned ballad 'Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know.'

"As she evolves, Spears is wisely sticking with age-appropriate material that her teen constituency can bond with. And, unlike several of the key songs on her breakthrough debut, ...Baby One More Time, Oops consistently casts Spears as a young woman coming to terms with her inner power, and that's a darn good message to offer an impressionable audience."
      https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...lboard-mailbag
      Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• Spears has sold 33.8 million albums in the U.S. to date.

As for her most-streamed songs (on-demand audio and video combined) in the U.S.? Here are her top five:

448 million, "Toxic"; 285 million, "…Baby One More Time"; 240 million, "Oops! I Did It Again"; 212 million, "Circus"; 202 million, "Womanizer"

Spears' songs overall have drawn 3.7 billion on-demand U.S. streams. Plus, her radio reach stands at 25.9 billion in cumulative airplay audience

Edit: Oops y'all beat me to it.

Comment

• So, these are her streaming equivalents...

Toxic - 2.98 million
          …Baby One More Time - 1.9 million
          Oops!…I Did It Again - 1.6 million
          Circus - 1.41 million
          Womanizer - 1.34 million

Toxic is eligible for 5x Platinum
          Womanizer is eligible for 5x Platinum
          ...Baby One More Time is eligible for 4x Platinum
          Circus is eligible for 4x Platinum
          Oops!...I Did It Again is eligible for 2x Platinum

Comment

• Glad they updated some numbers, but I would love to see the album numbers SPS.

I wonder if her label will ever re-certificate her songs, but I doubt it

Comment

• Originally posted by Instinct View Post
              Toxic is eligible for 5x Platinum
              Womanizer is eligible for 5x Platinum
              ...Baby One More Time is eligible for 4x Platinum
              Circus is eligible for 4x Platinum
              Oops!...I Did It Again is eligible for 2x Platinum
              Basically the exact same estimations I had. I was on point. Spot on!

As for the article and her albums numbers I feel like it was useless, they didn’t say anything new. And I can’t understand why they never seem to be able to provide full SPS total units for her albums in USA .. they never include the music club sales either. Basically nothing interesting with that “info” as I already predicted it was going to be.
              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Basically the exact same estimations I had. I was on point. Spot on!

As for the article and her albums numbers I feel like it was useless, they didn’t say anything new. And I can’t understand why they never seem to be able to provide full SPS total units for her albums in USA .. they never include the music club sales either. Basically nothing interesting with that “info” as I already predicted it was going to be.
                Yeah, I'm disappointed they didn't include any digital sales either, but oh well. At least we now have confirmation "Toxic" is definitely 5x Platinum.

Also, how the f*ck does "Circus" have more streams than "Womanizer"....

Comment

• “Oops (Album)“ is #79 on iTunes Pop Charts.

Comment

• January 2019: 2.6 billion U.S. streams
                    May 2020: 3.7 billion U.S. streams (+1.1 billion)

Comment

• britneyliam
                      britneyliam commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The 2.6 b or 3.7 b figure must be a typo!last 12 months 169 million streams from youtube united states.
                      about 200 million streams for 16 months!

Her spotify gained about 700 million worldwide. we know the markets share. about 1.1 billion audio worldwide

How could she get 1.1 billion u.s. on-demand streams in 16 months
                      Last edited by britneyliam; Mon May 18, 2020, 14:20.

• Originally posted by Instinct View Post
                    Also, how the f*ck does "Circus" have more streams than "Womanizer"....
                    It’s a more local song. In fact Circus’ only really relevant source of success came from North America (USA / Canada).

Good to know “Womanizer” and “Circus” are eligible for 5x Platinum and 4x Platinum respectively.

Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Does anyone know how would be her sales SPS? A bit frustrating that they didn't mention it

Comment

• Billboard has never counted/compiled music club sales.

The RIAA started allowing music club sales for certifications in the mid-1990s.

We only got figures from one of the big 2 music clubs.

Comment

• thebigham
                          thebigham commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm sure most of you know this.

• i hate that billboard make her look like a flop !!! Baby One More Time showing only 10.7 million looks like a pathetic number ...

Comment

• Meanwhile, Billboard reviewed the album in the May 20, 2000, issue. The title track went on to hit No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, "Lucky" reached No. 23 and "Stronger" climbed to No. 11, while "Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know," as shouted out below, became a global hit, and has drawn 8.8 million on-demand U.S. streams to date.

It’s so random how they gave us the streams for Dont Let
                          Me be the Last to Know and not for Stronger and Lucky

so DLMBTLTK should have 120,000 units on US

Comment

• 200,000 albums sold since January 2019

33.8 million looks like such a low number considering she's actually at 40 million, but I'll take it.

Comment

• These are the numbers Billboard published in Januar 2019:

"10.6 million, Baby One More Time
                              9.2 million, OopsI Did It Again
                              4.4 million, Britney
                              3 million, In the Zone
                              1.8 million, Greatest Hits: My Prerogative
                              1.7 million, Circus
                              1 million, Blackout
                              803,000, Femme Fatale
                              276,000, Britney Jean
                              266,000, The Singles Collection
                              161,000, Playlist: The Very Best of Britney Spears
                              154,000, Glory
                              138,000, B in the Mix: The Remixes
                              55,000, The Essential Britney Spears
                              30,000, B in the Mix: The Remixes: Vol. 2"

Am I wrong or how is it possible, that "Greatest Hits: My Prerogative" lost in sales? 1.8 million in Januar 2019 and now 1.6 million units? Do I see this wrong or what's going on?

Comment

• Originally posted by Canadaniel View Post
                                These are the numbers Billboard published in Januar 2019:

"10.6 million, Baby One More Time
                                9.2 million, OopsI Did It Again
                                4.4 million, Britney
                                3 million, In the Zone
                                1.8 million, Greatest Hits: My Prerogative
                                1.7 million, Circus
                                1 million, Blackout
                                803,000, Femme Fatale
                                276,000, Britney Jean
                                266,000, The Singles Collection
                                161,000, Playlist: The Very Best of Britney Spears
                                154,000, Glory
                                138,000, B in the Mix: The Remixes
                                55,000, The Essential Britney Spears
                                30,000, B in the Mix: The Remixes: Vol. 2"

Am I wrong or how is it possible, that "Greatest Hits: My Prerogative" lost in sales? 1.8 million in Januar 2019 and now 1.6 million units? Do I see this wrong or what's going on?
                                The 1.8 million figure was a typo. It was actually on 1.6 million.

Comment

• Are YouTube views included in the Billboard update?

Comment

• This is so annoying. Why don't they give the exact sales of her albums instead of rounding them down

No digital single sales either...

Comment

• Originally posted by American Life View Post
                                      This is so annoying. Why don't they give the exact sales of her albums instead of rounding them down

The most humiliating thing was them providing the US streams of 6 singles for us to calculate the SPS units of the singles and do the work ourselves instead of them doing the work.

I was not expecting anything interesting from that article and I knew it was going to be useless.

I feel like the only thing they did was spitting on our faces.
                                      Last edited by MrLeonix; Sat May 16, 2020, 18:01.

Comment

• The “Circus” album has surpassed 400 million streams on Spotify

It is Britney’s 4th studio album to hit 400M on the platform.

Additionally let’s keep streaming “Womanizer” as it’ll reach 200 million streams in a few weeks (currently at 195,477,527).

Comment

• Originally posted by American Life View Post
                                          This is so annoying. Why don't they give the exact sales of her albums instead of rounding them down

They also skipped her digital single sales last time. We haven't had any updates for them in 4 years.

Comment

• Love that for Circus!

01 - 562,851,575 - In the Zone
                                            02 - 452,857,492 - ...Baby One More Time
                                            03 - 437,659,751 - Oops!...I Did It Again
                                            04 - 400,212,527 - Circus
                                            05 - 342,129,789 - Femme Fatale
                                            06 - 301,574,127 - Glory
                                            07 - 274,488,097 - Blackout
                                            08 - 256,034,661 - Britney Jean
                                            09 - 201,465,198 - Britney

Comment

• In honor of “Circus” hitting 400 million on Spotify I’ll make a quick summary of the era:

- Over 7 million units worldwide (Chartmasters)
                                              - More than 23 million records sold worldwide
                                              - Over 400 million streams on Spotify
                                              - Two +100M songs on Spotify
                                              - Three +100M music videos on Youtube
                                              - #1 album on the B 200 / #1 single on the Hot 100
                                              - Two Top 10 hits on the Hot 100 / 5 charting songs
                                              - 3x Platinum eligibility for the album in USA
                                              - 5x Platinum eligibility for “Womanizer” in USA
                                              - 4x Platinum eligibility for “Circus (song)” in USA
                                              - 1x Platinum eligibility for “If U Seek Amy” in USA
                                              - Platinum Album / Platinum single (Womanizer) in UK
                                              - Album certified in over 20 countries
                                              - “Womanizer” - Top 10 hit in 25 countries
                                              - “Circus” - the 10th biggest song of 2009 IFPI
                                              - $131,8 million grossing for The Circus Tour
                                              - $1,3 million average per show for the Circus Tour
                                              - 1,5 million audience for the Circus Tour
                                              - 6th biggest album of 2009 on the B 200 year end chart
                                              - 5th biggest album of 2009 Canadian year end chart
                                              - Biggest solo tour of 2009 in USA
                                              - One of the 20 highest grossing tours of the 2000s decade.

I miss Circusney

Comment

• The Circus era, in my opinion, is what truly set Britney apart from all her peers. I mean, even without it she's still outsold them all, but she's one of the very few female pop stars who have managed to have a comeback on that scale. She basically re-peaked in so many aspects (particularly single sales and touring). Such an impressive era all around.

I think it's worth mentioning Circus will also become her first album with three 100 million+ singles. At this rate, If U Seek Amy will reach 100 million next year. Probably won't be too long till the album reaches 500 million streams as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                X