Britney Spears :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ksg22 View Post
    It's kind of a bummer to see "Matches" dip below 200k daily streams already. I was hoping decent streams would last through the holidays and into January at least. It seems weird to me that Make Me did so much much in 2016, when spotify numbers were so much lower in general. You would think 4.5 years later a Britney and BSB collab would pull similar numbers. But it is what it is.
    It’s not weird... it’s just that Make Me’s performance (in USA) was lowkey underrated and deserves more appreciation ... she was 18 years into her career when she released that song, it was for her 9th studio album, there was no music video on first week, her previous album had flopped, then by the time the music video arrived weeks later it was a mess and cr*p video, and the streaming era was starting to grow and become more influential which made it harder for older acts and veterans on the charts .... yet the song still peaked at #17 (not once but twice) on the Hot 100 and went Platinum on the RIAA showing that clearly there was potential for it had her team played the cards better.

”Make Me” is forgotten now but it did it’s little job back in 2016 and I feel like the American pop audience kinda liked it when it came out. It remains as Britney’s last song that made some waves on the American Radio too (not that she has released much since then , other than “Slumber Party” and 3 old leftover songs). . . At the end of the day “Glory” flopped, so it’s cool that at least she was able to secure a Top 20 single for it.
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by Instinct View Post
      Is it really weird, though? Make Me was an actual single and it spent weeks, if not months, inside Today's Top Hits. Britney was actively promoting and the song was actually sent to radio which helps with streams. Matches had no push besides New Music Friday placements and some minor playlists. It's only a promo single after all, similar to Do You Wanna Come Over or Clumsy.
      I guess I thought that the much stronger streaming climate of 2020 would at least help make up for it not getting the lead single attention. I didn't realize Make Me was on Today's Top Hits tho. That will of course make a huge difference.

Too bad RCA didn't fork out some money to make this a more legitimate single and get it better play listing and radio play. I mean Britney's catalogue will have brought in enough money since 2016 for them to justify it. I realize there would be no video or promotion from Britney herself, but I feel the label could have done a little more here. It seems weird to re-release an album and not put in any effort to up the exposure beyond the fanbase (that has already bought the album).

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

It’s not weird... it’s just that Make Me’s performance (in USA) was lowkey underrated and deserves more appreciation ... she was 18 years into her career when she released that song, it was for her 9th studio album, there was no music video on first week, her previous album had flopped, then by the time the music video arrived weeks later it was a mess and cr*p video, and the streaming era was starting to grow and become more influential which made it harder for older acts and veterans on the charts .... yet the song still peaked at #17 (not once but twice) on the Hot 100 and went Platinum on the RIAA showing that clearly there was potential for it had her team played the cards better.

”Make Me” is forgotten now but it did it’s little job back in 2016 and I feel like the American pop audience kinda liked it when it came out. It remains as Britney’s last song that made some waves on the American Radio too (not that she has released much since then , other than “Slumber Party” and 3 old leftover songs). . . At the end of the day “Glory” flopped, so it’s cool that at least she was able to secure a Top 20 single for it.
        Yes I suppose Make Me's performance is rather underrated, looking back on it.

The true test will be the lead single of B10. Hopefully her label approaches it properly and has a couple of videos pre-shot and edited before the start of the era. And choses better pre-release singles (Private Show and Clumsy??? Really? Those are two of the most hated songs on the album)

Comment

• Originally posted by ksg22 View Post
          The true test will be the lead single of B10. Hopefully her label approaches it properly and has a couple of videos pre-shot and edited before the start of the era. And choses better pre-release singles (Private Show and Clumsy??? Really? Those are two of the most hated songs on the album)
          The “Glory” campaign, marketing and presentation seem to be no other thing than a parody or bad joke.

- They had a $1,5 million budget music video shot and ready for “Make Me” before release ... they decided to scrap it with a worse and cheaper music video that had the aesthetics caliber of a Hannah Montana / Hilary duff visual.

- They had a beautiful and artistic photoshoot with David LaChappelle for the album’s cover and art ... they decided to scrap it and replace it with some bad screenshots.

- They had the opportunity to showcase some of “Glory” with promotional songs and instant grats before the album release ... they decided to do so with the two worst possible songs on the album (“Private Show” and “Clumsy”) .. instead of trying to show the best from it it’s like they sit down and said “hey which are the two worst songs on this album? Let’s release those ones!”

... In addition of all that, don’t forget how they released “Make Me” and then we never knew or heard a word about a new single for more than freaking 4 months until “Slumber Party” was released with a duet that no one asked for.

A nightmare indeed!

——

The only good thing they did with that era (marketing wise) was the music video for “Slumber Party” which was indeed a beautiful visual and one good thing they at least nailed for the era. Other than that I’m glad they revised and changed the album cover (even if it was 4 years later).

This album could have EASILY pulled way better numbers (both pure sales and streaming wise) with an actual normal / proper and good marketing / presentation and coherence. No wonder Britney is tired and not wanting to work anymore with any of these people.
          Last edited by MrLeonix; Sat December 19, 2020, 20:40.
          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Couldn’t agree more with all of the above!
            Britney, X-tina, Lana, Janet, Spice Girls, Kylie, Dannii

Comment

• 1 million streams!

Comment

• Britney has surpassed 24 million monthly listeners.

Comment

• Songs written by Britney Bitch:

The countdown

In at 5. MY ONLY WISH THIS YEAR - the growing Christmas jam. Pure global sales of over half a million and estimated global streams of over 250 million. This will be even bigger in 10 years time.

In at 4. MAKE ME (ooh ooh ooh ooooooh) - the smooth lead single which defines and represents the GLORY era. Described by fans as ‘different’. Over 800k pure global sales and an estimated 250 million global streams. A worldwide top 20 hit.

In at 3. ME AGAINST THE MUSIC featuring the legendary MADONNA - this ties in with the iconic/shocking Britney/Madonna kiss, the start of the IN THE ZONE era. Britney is a fit 21 year old. With global sales of 1 million announced by mediatraffic in early 2004. Pure sales now stand at over 1.5 million. A worldwide number one hit.

In at 2. EVERYTIME - Britney’s most successful ballad. Pure global sales of over 2 million. Another global number one, including in the Uk.

And at Number 1: u better ‘WORK BITCH’
                  Global sales of over 2 million and an estimated 650 million + streams. The song defines her Vegas years, 2013-2018. A top 10 global hit, including in the Uk.

3 lead songs, 1 ballad and 1 Christmas song - 2 songs from IN THE ZONE.

Comment

• Comment

• Now it‘s Christmas week, hopefully not a big drop tomorrow.

Comment

• EUROPE GLOBAL HOT 100 (20.12.2020)
                        62 New 1 Britney Spears & Backstreet Boys Matches
                        Europe Digital Singles Chart (20.12.2020)
                        35 New 1 Britney Spears & Backstreet Boys Matches
                        Australia Airplay Radios Chart (20.12.2020)
                        85 New 1 Britney Spears Swimming In The Stars

Comment

• Britney is #200 on this week’s Rolling Stone Artist 500 Chart with over 11.8 MILLION song streams (audio only). Matches is her top song.

Comment

• “Gimme More” is getting closer to a 3x Platinum eligibility in USA.

7 out of her 9 studio albums already have multi-platinum eligible singles in USA.

Comment

• Good update for a Monday

Comment

• If she did a high profile performance of my only wish even once it would literally soar!
                                Britney, X-tina, Lana, Janet, Spice Girls, Kylie, Dannii

Comment

• Britney has entered the Top 100 artists with the most monthly listeners on Spotify (24.5 million).

Comment

• Boys has surpassed 50 million views on YouTube

I'm a Slave 4 U - 136,629,263
                                    I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman 122,143,760
                                    Overprotected - 110,292,992
                                    Boys - 50,485,318
                                    I Love Rock 'n' Roll - 34,092,805

The views for the Britney era are actually really solid. I can think of many eras from around 2001-2002 that spawned huge hits yet are performing much worse nowadays.

Comment

• DENMARK:

18 (17) 28 My Only Wish (This Year) [PK #14]

Comment

• Comment

• Germany Midweek

42 (+14) My Only Wish (This Year)

In the end, I believe Top 40 is more than possible.

Comment

• So I guess we're not getting a new peak this year?
                                            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• The 25th falls on a Friday so it would be counted towards next week, right?

Comment

• ^ Yes, but Christmas songs have more plays on Christmas Eve in Germany anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                                X