X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GetBack
    replied
    Originally posted by Angeman
    It's such a shame Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know is mostly forgotten. It's one of her best ballads in my opinion.
    Yeah, I wonder why! The video was so popular back then because it was directed by Herb Ritts and Britney and her love interest made quite the headlines too! I feel like the image was so raunchy that it felt like a Britney era song more than an Oops! song to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Angeman
    replied
    Re: Britney Spears :: Charts & Sales History

Boys is at least in Goldmember and that gets played on US television quite often. It will continue to be known because of that. Break the Ice I think is a "gay classic" for younger fans so again I think that helps it.

It's such a shame Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know is mostly forgotten. It's one of her best ballads in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Well here in Latin America, "Break the ice" is the least known out of those 5 songs

"Don't let me be the last to know" and "Criminal" were popular here (DLMBTLTK is indeed forgotten tho), and "I love Rock N Roll" and "Boys" were massive on Latin MTV with heavy rotation, so people of my age that grew up with MTV when it was still cool can identify those Britney songs here.

"Break the ice" came out at a time when MTV was not about music videos anymore and the overall "Blackout" era wasn't really that big here. So people didn't really know that song here.

----

Overall I would agree with you that her most popular flop would be between "Break the Ice" and "Criminal" on a global scale.

Leave a comment:

• Instinct
    replied
    I think it truly depends on where you live. For example, "Boys" was easily the biggest hit in the UK, while "I Love Rock 'N' Roll was the biggest hit in Australia / Germany and "Criminal" was the biggest hit in France / Canada. I'd say "Break the Ice" was the biggest hit in the US and Canada by a mile.

"Criminal" was a very nice Top 20 hit in France and Canada, plus a Top 10 hit in Russia (among other countries) and a smash in Brazil, but it failed to chart in many important markets like the UK, Germany, Australia, Italy, etc. Overall I'd argue it was the second most successful single after "Break the Ice".

Btw, it should be added that "Criminal" was a Top 20 airplay hit in Spain. Pretty cool since I believe she doesn't get much airplay there ever since 2007.

My ranking:
    1. Break the Ice
    2. Criminal
    3. Boys
    4. I Love Rock 'N' Roll
    5. Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know

As much as I love "Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know", I feel like it's one of the most forgotten singles she's ever released. Out of all the songs mentioned, it is the only one with under 10 million streams on Spotify. And it didn't even chart on the Bubbling Under chart in the US, something even the "Britney" singles managed to do.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by adamf2thedeath
    What about ooh la la and someday I will understand? Surely they are bigger flops!
    I think I worded it wrong . . . I meant these are her Biggest / most successful singles (out of her flop ones).

Let me edit the original post

Leave a comment:

• adamf2thedeath
    replied
    What about ooh la la and someday I will understand? Surely they are bigger flops!

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Flop edition!

I've checked Britney's singles known as "flops" . . . these are her 5 most successful "flop" singles but they are NOT ranked!

Britney's Top 5 Flop Singles

Don't let me be the last to know (2001)

Top 10s (it may include Radio countdowns / Airplay charts)

Austria #7
    Europe (Music & Media) #9
    Poland (Polish Airplay charts) #6
    Romania #1
    Switzerland #9

Top 20s:

Belgium Flanders #13
    Denmark #14
    Finland #17
    Germany #12
    Ireland #12
    Netherlands #16
    Sweden #12
    UK #12

Spotify: 6,7 million streams
    Youtube: 32,5 million views

I Love Rock N Roll (2002)

Austria #9
    Germany #7
    Hungary #6
    Ireland #8
    Portugal #4
    Scotland #7

Top 20s:

Australia #13
    Belgium Flanders #15
    Finland #19
    Italy #20
    Netherlands #17
    Sweden #15
    Switzerland #15
    UK #13

Spotify: 16 million streams
    Youtube: 24,7 million views

Boys (Co-Ed Remix) (2002)

Belgium Flanders #7
    Belgium Wallonia #10
    Ireland #10
    Scotland #7
    UK #7

Top 20s:

Australia #14
    Austria #18
    Denmark #14
    Germany #19
    Netherlands #14
    Spain #16
    Sweden #11
    Switzerland #20

Spotify: 15,7 million streams
    Youtube: 43,2 million views

Break The Ice (2008)

Belgium Flanders #7
    Belgium Wallonia #3
    Canada #9
    Finland #8
    Ireland #7
    Italy #9

Top 20s:

Czech Republic #15
    Denmark #13
    Sweden #11
    UK #15

Spotify: 17 million streams
    Youtube: 61,6 million views

Criminal (2011)

Brazil #1
    Bulgaria #3
    Czech Republic #6
    Israel (Media Forest) #4
    Lebanon #4
    Poland (Polish Airplay New) #2
    Slovakia (Radio Top 100) #8
    Russia (Tophit) #6
    Ukraine #7

Top 20s:

Canada #16
    Finland #11
    France #13
    US (Pop Radio) #19

Spotify: 36,9 million streams
    Youtube: 117,1 million plays (includes lyrics video / Audio upload)
    ------

Having seen the stats, amount of Top 10s, amount of Top 20s, the markets they cracked and their streaming numbers how would you rank them in terms of success?

I'd say:

1. Criminal (her most streamed flop, plus it smashed at #1 in Brazil for multiple weeks)
    2. Break the ice (almost made the Top 40 in US, cracked the Top 10 in some good markets and has the second best streaming)
    3. Don't Let me be the last to know (Made every major international market, plenty of Top 20 entries, decent video views for a 2001 flop song)
    4. Boys (Top 10 in UK, lots of Top 20s, decent video views for a 2002 flop song)
    5. I Love Rock N Roll (Similar stats to "Boys" but less impact, and the least watched music video out of the 5)

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Yas! at "Blackout" being her biggest album in Russia

Leave a comment:

• Instinct
    replied
    Mess @ the amount of effort put onto that fake PDF file

Anyway, we do have Britney's official sales in Russia, and like MJD stated, she has extraordinary results there. 300,000 records (albums) sold as of June 2009.

Since 2003, Britney has been getting extraordinary results there, averaging over 50,000 copies per album until Circus. By 2009, she had sold 300,000 records in the country, while we know singles are non-existent. This gives us some 90,000 units sold by her first three albums. As the Russian market hasn’t been following the same patterns of other countries, I’ll simply divide that tally into 3.

Merging all the data together concludes on the following album sales to date:

...Baby One More Time – 30,000
    Oops!… I did It Again – 30,000
    Britney – 30,000
    In The Zone – 50,000
    Greatest Hits, My Prerogative – 60,000
    Blackout – 60,000
    Circus – 40,000
    The Singles Collection – 9,500
    + "Femme Fatale" was the 16th best-selling album of the year, scoring a Platinum certification (10,000 units)

"Glory" peaked at #3 and I don't care enough to check for "Britney Jean". Russia must be the only country in the world where "Blackout" is her best-selling album.

Leave a comment:

• marcsgirl85
    replied
    @MrLeonix you are correct the certification levels for international releases in Russia were decreased in 2012 5,000 Gold 10,000 platinum

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    If Britney did more promo and if the rollout is really good, she can get another US #1 debut with an album. A hot uptempo would be a killer lead single.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Wasn't Platinum for international artists in Russia 20K back in the day?? .... I think it was reduced to 10K this decade.

Leave a comment:

• nympho
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    ^ I thought the same about silver and bronze, didn’t recall them. Just assumed that they’d introduced new levels in response to streaming etc.

As if someone has gone to those lengths to create something so fake - just shocking what people will do these days.
    Of course, people on ATRL are eating all this like it's legit…

That's the problem with info from countries we usually don't get info from, like Russia or Asian countries, and where the vast majority of online fans don't speak the language… people quickly believes what they read.

All the info comes from a web called INSIDERS SPACE, who claim to have
    "Exclusive information from trusted insiders in the world music industry".

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

^ I thought the same about silver and bronze, didn’t recall them. Just assumed that they’d introduced new levels in response to streaming etc.

As if someone has gone to those lengths to create something so fake - just shocking what people will do these days.

Leave a comment:

• nympho
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    Russian certifications update

In The Zone - 5 x Platinum (120,000)
    Blackout - 4 x Platinum (80,000)
    Circus - 4 x Platinum (80,000)
    Glory - 1 x Platinum (20,000)

https://www.docdroid.net/MOL6zWN/240618 ... pdf#page=2

Not sure if this is new information or not.
    That chart is fake...

A .pdf uploaded on a web to upload your own pdf's….

Platinum for international artists is 10k in Russia, Gold 5k. (Not 20k and 10k). There's no Silver and Bronze awards in Russia.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120810090 ... levels.pdf

Liberation certified Gold or Everything Is Love certified bronze… while Madonna, Celine Dion, Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Adele, Taylor Swift... not having a single album certified.

(When Hard Candy, MDNA, Celebration, The Fame, BTW, Taking Chances, etc. were officialy certified in Russia and published on Lenta.ru and 2m-online.ru websites back in the day)

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Russian certifications update

In The Zone - 5 x Platinum (120,000)
    Blackout - 4 x Platinum (80,000)
    Circus - 4 x Platinum (80,000)
    Glory - 1 x Platinum (20,000)

https://www.docdroid.net/MOL6zWN/240618 ... pdf#page=2

Not sure if this is new information or not.

Leave a comment:

• belmont
    replied
    Originally posted by Instinct
    Highest peaking albums in countries with official album charts
    United Kingdom
    ...Baby One More Time / Oops!... I Did It Again / Greatest Hits: My Prerogative / Blackout / Glory (#2)
    :-?

I mean... it's time for a #1 album in the UK

Leave a comment:

• Instinct
    replied
    Yeah, but at least she has 7 Top 5 albums in the UK which is a very good result nonetheless

Speaking of Germany...

1. Madonna - 12
    2. Alanis Morissette, Britney Spears, Whitney Houston - 3
    3. Adele, Amy Macdonald, Anastacia, Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion, Cher, Jennifer Rush, Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey, Norah Jones, P!nk, Tina Turner, Tracy Chapman - 2

I believe these are the only international females with at least two #1 albums in Germany, which shows how difficult it really is to score a #1 album over there. She's tied with Alanis and Whitney for second most #1 albums as far as international female acts are concerned.

@ Madonna's slayage.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by Mainshow
    Interesting list.

Poor Britney Jean xD
    that poor album . . . . . Wasn't "Britney Jean" #1 in China or something like that tho?

Great list @Instinct. I think its shocking and unlucky the fact that she has 5 (five) #2 albums in UK . . yet I have to say that is even harder for other artists to get a #1 album in Germany, France and especially Japan and she has them.

Leave a comment:

• Mainshow
    replied

Interesting list.

Poor Britney Jean xD

Leave a comment:

• Instinct
    replied
    Highest peaking albums in countries with official album charts

United States
    ...Baby One More Time / Oops!... I Did It Again / Britney / In the Zone / Circus / Femme Fatale (#1)

United Kingdom
    ...Baby One More Time / Oops!... I Did It Again / Greatest Hits: My Prerogative / Blackout / Glory (#2)

Canada
    ...Baby One More Time / Oops!... I Did It Again / Britney / Blackout / Circus / Femme Fatale (#1)

Ireland
    Greatest Hits: My Prerogative / Blackout / Glory (#1)

Germany
    ...Baby One More Time / Oops!... I Did It Again / Britney (#1)

France
    Oops!... I Did It Again / In the Zone (#1)

South Korea (International)
    Oops!... I Did It Again / Britney / In the Zone / Blackout / Circus / Femme Fatale / Glory (#1)

Belgium
    ...Baby One More Time / Oops!... I Did It Again (#1)

Italy
    Glory (#1)

Japan
    Greatest Hits: My Prerogative (#1)

Sweden
    Oops!... I Did It Again (#1)

Switzerland
    ...Baby One More Time / Oops!... I Did It Again / Britney / Circus (#1)

Czech Republic
    Glory (#1)

Brazil
    Glory (#2)

Mexico
    Femme Fatale (#1)

Australia
    Femme Fatale (#1)

Spain
    ...Baby One More Time / Oops!... I Did It Again / Glory (#2)

Austria
    Oops!... I Did It Again / Britney (#1)

Denmark
    Oops!... I Did It Again / Greatest Hits: My Prerogative (#2)

Norway

Netherlands

Finland
    Oops!... I Did It Again / Greatest Hits: My Prerogative (#2)

Portugal

Poland

New Zealand
    Oops!... I Did It Again (#2)

Greece (International)
    Oops!... I Did It Again / In the Zone / Greatest Hits: My Prerogative / Circus / Femme Fatale (#1)

Russia
    Circus / Femme Fatale (#1)

Argentina
    Circus / Femme Fatale (#2)

Hungary

"Oops!... I Did It Again" is her highest peaking album in five countries (Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Hungary, New Zealand), and is tied with other albums in the UK, US, Spain, France, Germany, Belgium, Canada, Greece, Austria, Denmark, Portugal, Poland & Switzerland.

"Glory" is her highest peaking album in three countries (Italy, Czech Republic, Brazil), and is tied with other albums in the UK, Ireland, Spain & South Korea.

"Femme Fatale" is her highest peaking album in two countries (Mexico & Australia), and is tied with other albums in the US, Canada, Russia, Argentina, Greece & South Korea.

"Greatest Hits: My Prerogative" is her highest peaking album in one country (Japan), and is tied with other albums in the UK, Ireland, Denmark, Finland & Greece.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by GetBack
    I'm just waiting for them to upload the "Overprotected" Darkchild remix video. I'm so glad that her VEVO is managed so well. All her music videos are accessed worldwide too, other artists have that country restriction like Janet Jackson for example.
    Yes I'm glad her VEVO is managed properly. "Overprotected (darkchild remix)" is the only music video that is missing on her channel. They probably forgot it exists

Leave a comment:

• nympho
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    Originally posted by Goldmoney
    How does Gimme More stack up?
    "Gimme More" landed at #14 in the 2007 list.

"Work Bitch" landed at #15 in the 2013 list.

What's your source for all these yearly charts you're posting? I mean, are you taking the info from some web or something, or just looking on YouTube the figures of female artists that come to your mind from that year?

1. Katy Perry - Roar (Official) 2,534,151,091
    2. Ellie Goulding - Burn 1,241,793,563
    3. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball 951,303,363
    4. P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason ft. Nate Ruess 856,688,613
    5. Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop 815,084,075
    6. Lorde - Royals (US Version) 718,867,226
    7. Rihanna - Stay ft. Mikky Ekko 700,667,386
    8. Disney's Frozen "Let It Go" Performed by Idina Menzel 619,906,092
    9. Selena Gomez - Come & Get It 589,515,926
    10. Demi Lovato - Let It Go (from "Frozen") [Official] 552,825,783
    11. Demi Lovato - Heart Attack 497,899,306
    12. Katy Perry - Unconditionally (Official) 479,096,428
    13. Taylor Swift - 22 476,501,345
    14. Beyoncé - Drunk in Love (Explicit) ft. JAY Z 469,790,302
    15. Indila - Dernière Danse (Clip Officiel) 435,239,622
    16. Anna Kendrick - Cups (Pitch Perfect’s “When I’m Gone”) 415,910,786
    17. Silva Gunbardhi ft. Mandi ft. Dafi - Te ka lali shpirt 383,477,181
    18. Hala Al Turk - Happy Happy 353,107,796
    19. Ariana Grande - The Way ft. Mac Miller 340,533,108
    20. Lady Gaga - Applause (Official) 313,229,703
    21. Lana Del Rey - Young and Beautiful 306,975,380
    22. Iggy Azalea - Work (Explicit) 299,204,000
    23. Selena Gomez - Slow Down (Official) 293,486,504
    24. Britney Spears - Work B**ch 282,085,084

https://kworb.net/youtube/topvideos_published_2013.HTML

Kworb only has these lists per year from 2010 onwards, so I'm not going to check all the other yearly charts you posted to see if there are mistakes there as well…

All time female videos:
    https://kworb.net/youtube/topvideos_female.html

And videos released before 2010:
    https://kworb.net/youtube/topvideos_pub ... rlier.html

In case you need them.

The problem with the pre-YouTube era videos is that, despite all the songs being released on that same year, the videos were later uploaded to YouTube at different times... Most of them 8-9 years ago, but some, later. So some of them have that disadvantage.

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    I'm just waiting for them to upload the "Overprotected" Darkchild remix video. I'm so glad that her VEVO is managed so well. All her music videos are accessed worldwide too, other artists have that country restriction like Janet Jackson for example.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney
    How does Gimme More stack up?
    "Gimme More" landed at #14 in the 2007 list.

"Work Bitch" landed at #15 in the 2013 list.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X