Mariah Carey :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LoveMariah View Post
    Anyone knows the US pure album sales of Caution?
    I guess it's around 120,000 / 125,000 pure.
    #mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

• From June 1994, Billboard:

CAREY'S GLOBAL TOTAL AT 35 MIL

Mariah Carey has sold 14 million copies worldwide of her latest album, "Music Box," according to Columbia Records.
      Total worldwide sales of her three full -length albums and one EP have now reached 35 million units since her debut was released in June 1990, the label tells Bulletin. That total should blossom noticeably with the release this fall of her first Christmas album, a collection featuring both classics and originals.

Yes, that's shipments, but that would very much be an accurate figure given all her albums received subsequent RIAA certifications in the following years.

So that apparently leaves 21 million between the debut, Emotions, and Unplugged.

At the time Music Box was 6xP going on 7xP.
      Mariah Carey was 6xP going on 8xP later that year.
      Emotions was 3xP going on 4xP (and perhaps her slowest seller at that point).
      And Unplugged was certified as a Short Form Album at 3xP (for 1.5 million sales) going 4xP later that year.
      Last edited by InfoFromAus; Sun January 23, 2022, 04:07.
      MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Interesting stats InfoFromAus
        Thanx 4 sharing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
          Interesting stats InfoFromAus
          Thanx 4 sharing!
          You're welcome!

I did make a mistake originally (doing maths that late at night ) - it's 21 million between the first three at that time.

I guess it'd be:

Debut - 10 million
          Emotions - 6 million
          Unplugged - 5 million

Both the Debut and Unplugged were still charting when Music Box was released and continued to sell well for years.
          Unplugged spent a couple of months on the BB 200 chart when Music Box was charting high.
          The Debut was on the Catalog Albums charts for months around the same time.

Emotions was probably the closest to its sales total today as it didn't seem to sell as well as the other two in subsequent years.

Interestingly Music Box may have peaked in the US in late 93/early 94... but it was still #1 or top 5 in many markets in late 94 and continued to chart into 95.
          Not at all surprised it continued to add millions and millions from that time on.
          Last edited by InfoFromAus; Sun January 23, 2022, 09:35.
          MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Is there anyone who can reasonably estimated Music Box's sales in the UK? The album was certified 5xP in October of 1994 and has not been re-certified ever since.

1993: 1 - 4 - 8 - 10 - 13 - 12 - 12 - 22 - 19 - 13 - 14 - 9 - 9 - 9 - 10 - 10

1994: 11 - 7 - 10 - 9 - 8 - 14 - 5 - 3 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 11 - 10 - 13 - 11 - 14 - 7 - 8 - 8 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 10 - 13 - 18 - 19 - 25 - 34 - 41 - 36 - 34 - 11 (5x platinum cert)
            1994 (post certification): 10 - 13 - 17 - 20 - 18 - 24 - 27 - 30 - 32 - 30 - 28

1995: 20 - 25 - 29 - 39 - 45 - 50 - 59 - 64 - 108 - 117 - 110 - 111 - 102 - 131 - 108 - 162 - 164 - 167 - 161 - 129 - 151 - 172 - 121 - 109 - 120 - 159 - 181 - 169 - 140 - 158 - 159 - 161 - 169 - 107 - 119 - 127 - 155 - 157 - 134 - 143 - 139 - 140 - 165 - 159 - 158 - / out - 189

1996: 156 - 180 - 185 - 197 - out - 133 - 100 - 145 - 193 - out - 195 - out - 173 - 168 - 176 - out - 190 - 192 - out

1997: 175 - 192

16 weeks in 1993
            52 weeks in 1994
            46 weeks in 1995
            14 weeks in 1996
            02 weeks in 1997

My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post

You're welcome!

I did make a mistake originally (doing maths that late at night ) - it's 21 million between the first three at that time.

I guess it'd be:

Debut - 10 million
              Emotions - 6 million
              Unplugged - 5 million

Both the Debut and Unplugged were still charting when Music Box was released and continued to sell well for years.
              Unplugged spent a couple of months on the BB 200 chart when Music Box was charting high.
              The Debut was on the Catalog Albums charts for months around the same time.

Emotions was probably the closest to its sales total today as it didn't seem to sell as well as the other two in subsequent years.

Interestingly Music Box may have peaked in the US in late 93/early 94... but it was still #1 or top 5 in many markets in late 94 and continued to chart into 95.
              Not at all surprised it continued to add millions and millions from that time on.
              Yeah, I noticed that, but we all make mistakes sometimes but we muddle through

MB was such a beast.

Comment

• Collecting from chartsinfrance

Female artists who sold at least 30 million albums in US (estimations)

• Barbra Streisand - 95 million
                • Mariah Carey - 72.65 million
                • Madonna - 72.3 million
                • Celine Dion - 62.3 million
                • Whitney Houston - 60.3 million
                • Reba Mcentire - 55.2 million
                • Linda Ronstadt - 45.5 million
                • Shania Twain - 45.5 million
                • Janet Jackson - 43.5 million
                • Britney Spears - 40.7 million
                • Taylor Swift - 38 million
                • Dixie Chicks - 34.7 million
                • Enya - 33.4 million

Comment

• Originally posted by Choley View Post
                  Collecting from chartsinfrance

• Madonna - 72.3 million
                  • Enya - 33.4 million
                  Any details about this

Comment

[CENTER]Collecting from chartsinfrance
                    So you collected the sales from different thread, right?
                    The 95 million firgue for Barbra Streisand was estimated by MJDangerous decades ago!

Comment

Collecting from chartsinfrance

• Madonna - 72.3 million
                      • Enya - 33.4 million
                      No stade at all but…how can Mariah’s numbers be so high? I thought she was more around 60M. Can someone list the numbers for all her albums in the US, please?
                      One heart you are following

Comment

• ^ Well, she has 68M certified records, so it shouldnt be a surprise.

Comment

• ^ Mariah estimations seems correct seeing 68M albums are certified with RIAA mainly on pure sales + shipments. Though RIAA deals with shipments and SPS numbers 'sold' word is something can be debatable but Mariah's estimations seems quiet on point.

Comment

• Here are the figures

• Numbers including club sales estimations
                            • Platinum for EP's were 500k back then

Spoiler!

Comment

• I think the last report we have from Nielsen on Mariah's total album sales is this one from 2019 (but correct me if I'm wrong):
                              https://www.billboard.com/pro/taylor...ask-billboard/

It showed:

Mariah Carey (55.5 million)
                              Celine Dion (53 million)
                              Shania Twain (35 million)
                              Britney Spears (33.6 million)
                              Taylor Swift (32.7 million)

Garth Brooks leads all artists with 72.4 million albums sold in that span.

See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                              See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

Here are the figures

• Numbers including club sales estimations
                                • Platinum for EP's were 500k back then

Spoiler!
                                The 4.2 million of Rainbow is too high,on first page is 3.6 million
                                Rainbow is at BMG Club exclusively,not available on Columbia house,

and Glitter hasn't sold 1 million

They shipped it but it got shipped back.
                                It sold about 700k
                                Last edited by LoveMariah; Mon January 24, 2022, 14:05.

Comment

• TEOM is eligible for 7 x platinum,and MC gains about 400k units every year.
                                  She will surpass Barbra sooner or later.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                    Is there anyone who can reasonably estimated Music Box's sales in the UK? The album was certified 5xP in October of 1994 and has not been re-certified ever since.

1993: 1 - 4 - 8 - 10 - 13 - 12 - 12 - 22 - 19 - 13 - 14 - 9 - 9 - 9 - 10 - 10

1994: 11 - 7 - 10 - 9 - 8 - 14 - 5 - 3 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 11 - 10 - 13 - 11 - 14 - 7 - 8 - 8 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 10 - 13 - 18 - 19 - 25 - 34 - 41 - 36 - 34 - 11 (5x platinum cert)
                                    1994 (post certification): 10 - 13 - 17 - 20 - 18 - 24 - 27 - 30 - 32 - 30 - 28

1995: 20 - 25 - 29 - 39 - 45 - 50 - 59 - 64 - 108 - 117 - 110 - 111 - 102 - 131 - 108 - 162 - 164 - 167 - 161 - 129 - 151 - 172 - 121 - 109 - 120 - 159 - 181 - 169 - 140 - 158 - 159 - 161 - 169 - 107 - 119 - 127 - 155 - 157 - 134 - 143 - 139 - 140 - 165 - 159 - 158 - / out - 189

1996: 156 - 180 - 185 - 197 - out - 133 - 100 - 145 - 193 - out - 195 - out - 173 - 168 - 176 - out - 190 - 192 - out

1997: 175 - 192

16 weeks in 1993
                                    52 weeks in 1994
                                    46 weeks in 1995
                                    14 weeks in 1996
                                    02 weeks in 1997
                                    Here you may find an answer for that:

https://chartmasters.org/2018/11/the...carey-figures/

Comment

• Can anyone help me find Mariah's yearly Spotify figures for 2020 and 2021 in order to compare her performance yearly on the platform?

Comment

• Originally posted by GlenMarley View Post
                                        Can anyone help me find Mariah's yearly Spotify figures for 2020 and 2021 in order to compare her performance yearly on the platform?
                                        I don't know if there's a way other than to search through this thread, as I think stevyy sometimes posts them. It'll be a difficult search given how much stevyy posts and how many posts have the word 'spotify' in them

But try January posts from last year.
                                        MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Ok I have some updated UK sales these are up to Dec 31st 2021

Merry Christmas 351,229
                                          Oh Santa Remix 66,013
                                          Magical Christmas Special 8,986
                                          Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) 193,681

So frustrating that just one more week of Christmas sales and Baby Please Come home would have probably been certified silver because it was selling around 7k a week in December but at least we know it will definitely happen this Christmas if not before

​​​​​​
                                          ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by w1llll View Post
                                            Ok I have some updated UK sales these are up to Dec 31st 2021

Merry Christmas 351,229
                                            Oh Santa Remix 66,013

So frustrating that just one more week of Christmas sales and Baby Please Come home would have probably been certified silver because it was selling around 7k a week in December but at least we know it will definitely happen this Christmas if not before

​​​​​​
                                            ​​​​​
                                            That's great tho!
                                            Thanx for the stats!
                                            I'm sure it will happen before Xmas.

Comment

• Merry Christmas (with some luck) might just surpass 400k this season. I'm excited for its continued success and performance in the UK which gets better and better with each passing year. This season it might also just hit the top 30 or even top 20 and therefore get a new peak.
                                              My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                                Merry Christmas (with some luck) might just surpass 400k this season. I'm excited for its continued success and performance in the UK which gets better and better with each passing year. This season it might also just hit the top 30 or even top 20 and therefore get a new peak.
                                                I hope I'm wrong but I think it's going to take a lot longer than that to hit 400k, it has sold 50k in past 5 years which includes release of anniversary edition so although its chart position is improving year on year album sales as a whole are decreasing so unless we get some kind of new re-release I think it will be a while before it sells another 50k unfortunately

Comment

Ok I have some updated UK sales these are up to Dec 31st 2021

Merry Christmas 351,229
                                                  Oh Santa Remix 66,013

​​​​​​
                                                  ​​​​​
                                                  Thanks for those figures ❤️ Great that C(BPCH) is soooo close to Silver, OS will probably get there one day too!

I wish more of her albums and singles would appear on the UK charts so we’d have a chance to see their updated totals
                                                  Me Facebook | Me LastFM

Comment

I hope I'm wrong but I think it's going to take a lot longer than that to hit 400k, it has sold 50k in past 5 years which includes release of anniversary edition so although its chart position is improving year on year album sales as a whole are decreasing so unless we get some kind of new re-release I think it will be a while before it sells another 50k unfortunately
                                                    well, i'd say that out of those 50k... 15-20k came from last season alone. The album was on the charts for 4 weeks, peaking in the top 40. It's never been this high outside its 1994 season. I get that sales have declined, but I'd still assume that an album in the dead of the holidays manages to spin like 8k in the top 40.
                                                    My Chart

Comment

Working...
                                                    X