Mariah Carey :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CasualFlow View Post
    I'm struggling to follow your thinking, InFamous. I'm pretty sure you understand how the RIAA certifies in the US.

Sure. It was certified 6M (not 7M) in October 2019. We all agree with you. But that doesn't mean ALL the sales were accounted for. Only those up to 6M. The RIAA certification, requested by Sony, says nothing about those sales in excess of 6M but less than 7M. A 6.8M estimate is not pure speculation because it's based on what we know from published sources.
    Yup i do, and those people who were claiming it to be elegible for seven times platinum now are simply incorrect, seeing as it has just been recertified for six ! I estimate that it will need at least one, if not two more seasons of similar performance to this year to push it over the 7 times platinum benchmark.

then you have those people claimin it will be elegible for diamond in 3 years lol, come on

Comment

• Originally posted by wolfmother View Post
      You do realize that you're the only who has been arguing that the album was not over 7 million total consumption when certified 6xPlatinum by the RIAA !? No one said otherwise. You also realise that when the official source for album sales in the USA (soundscan / billboard) says the album is over 6,3 million total consumption it is not up for debate, nor the fact that since that number was revealed it's anual soudscan SPS add to 6,8 million by doing some simple math ?
      Incorrect, at least two posters said it was elegible to be seven times platinum certified now.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
        Incorrect, at least two posters said it was elegible to be seven times platinum certified now.
        Obviously it could be true but there is no way of knowing for sure and here one has to agree with you than with no formal source to prove such a saying it can only be speculation and not a fact.
        But that's not what exactly what you were saying. You were also arguing that it was close to 7 million when the most official source for records sales in the USA (billboard/soundscan) show that the album's consumption is now at 6,8 million.

Comment

Yup i do, and those people who were claiming it to be elegible for seven times platinum now are simply incorrect, seeing as it has just been recertified for six ! I estimate that it will need at least one, if not two more seasons of similar performance to this year to push it over the 7 times platinum benchmark.

then you have those people claimin it will be elegible for diamond in 3 years lol, come on
          Here I'll agree 100 % with you. Chances are that it will be eligible for 7xPlatinum in 2022 as this year the 25 year anniversary gave it a boost that might translate in overall consumption down from this season next year.
          That being said if the album gets a 7xPlatinum re-certification in 2022, it won't mean that it was not already eligible for such before that date. Because if labels were known to updated certifications as soon as a record is eligible for it then we would not have had this conversation and the singer in your avatar would have total RIAA certifications way up.

Comment

So you do or don't agree with the 6.85M Soundscan estimate (excluding club sales)?

I agree with you about the Diamond certification. If MC averaged sales of approx. 235,000 over the last two seasons, Diamond is still a good ways off.

Comment

So you do or don't agree with the 6.85M Soundscan estimate (excluding club sales)?

I agree with you about the Diamond certification. If MC averaged sales of approx. 235,000 over the last two seasons, Diamond is still a good ways off.
              I don't see why all club sales would not have been included in the recent certification. Plus it may include shipments that were not yet sold. I would say it is probably around 6.5/6.6 million tops in actual sales which to me is not close to 7. It is on its way there but still has another couple seasons to get there. To me close would be 6.95. And Stevvy said it was elegible now for 7 which I totally disagree with.
              Last edited by InFamous; Sun January 5th, 2020, 23:53.

Comment

• How did u get the 6.5-6.6M "actual" sales figure, Infamous? Is it to date?

Break in down for us in terms of physical/TEA and SEA please.
                Last edited by ferrero; Mon January 6th, 2020, 00:44.

Comment

• Originally posted by ferrero View Post
                  How did u get the 6.5-6.6M "actual" sales figure, Infamous? Is it to date?

Break in down for us in terms of physical/TEA and SEA please.
                  It is my best estimation, same as those claiming 6.85 is an estimation as no one actually knows how many of these "club sales" it even had, if any. Seeing as it was just re-certfified as 6 times platinum I am happy with my figures. When it is elegible for 7 times platinum I am sure it will be recertified.

Comment

• The timing of the 6 platinum application was done to coincide with the rollout of the 25th anniversary of Merry Christmas.

Base on the latest SS figure provided, it was already 6.39M as of May 2018.

Originally posted by thebigham View Post
                    The last one...

Through the 5/26 Billboard charts:

Merry Christimas

ALBUM SALES: 5,599,118
                    ALBUMS W/TEA 6,057,839
                    ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND AUDIO 6,246,273
                    ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND 6,394,123
                    STREAMING ON-DEMAND 504,425,203

11 copies sold last week
                    Merry Christmas has since increased by another 450K sps in 2018 and 2019 Christmas season.
                    Stevvy's estimate is quite spot on.

Your estimate is about 200K off, which is why I am interested to know the basis of your "best" estimate.

It's not wrong to say it is close to 7M because we know the album is capable doing 250K sps every Christmas season.

Comment

The timing of the 6 platinum application was done to coincide with the rollout of the 25th anniversary of Merry Christmas.

Base on the latest SS figure provided, it was already 6.39M as of May 2018.

Merry Christmas has since increased by another 450K sps in 2018 and 2019 Christmas season.
                      Stevvy's estimate is quite spot on.

Your estimate is about 200K off, which is why I am interested to know the basis of your "best" estimate.

It's not wrong to say it is close to 7M because we know the album is capable doing 250K sps every Christmas season.

are you just copying what that other person said haha, it seems to me that people didnt even know MC had been recertified this season until i said it..

It depends on your perspective. 6.8 to me is not close to 7 because it will take at least one more full season to be elegible, assuming that estimation is not inflated. Furthermore Stevvy said it was elegible for 7 times platinum NOW which is what led to this discussion. You are late and coming in at the end. For now it is six times platinum and we are all just estimating. Lets move on.

Comment

• Let's agree to disagree then.

Stevvy - no daily update today?
                        Last edited by ferrero; Mon January 6th, 2020, 02:05.

Comment

I don't see why all club sales would not have been included in the recent certification. Plus it may include shipments that were not yet sold. I would say it is probably around 6.5/6.6 million tops in actual sales which to me is not close to 7. It is on its way there but still has another couple seasons to get there. To me close would be 6.95. And Stevvy said it was elegible now for 7 which I totally disagree with.
                          I'm having this conversation with you in good faith. I assume you want to understand where we are coming from, as I am interested in understanding where you are coming from.

The club sales would have been included in that latest certification, but the question under discussion is how much over 6M and under 7 million that actual total is. For that additional amount, as your own estimate admits, we have to rely on other published and reliable sources like Soundscan, club sales for older titles, current SPS data, etc. Adding what we know up gives us an idea of the eligibility of a certification, even if the studio hasn't requested it. You know all of this, of course.

There is room for speculation. Like in the case of her debut album, how close is it to Diamond? It's somewhere between 9-10M but I really can't speculate with much confidence about where it lands in there. I tend to think it's closer to 9 than 10, that's my best guess. But that isn't the case with Merry Christmas. We have a lot more info. So this is what we know from the facts out there, which stevyy has assembled:

6.4 (via SS in summer '18) + 200K SPS (Christmas '18) + 270k SPS (Christmas '19). That gets us in the 6.85M range. But what this unit total doesn't include is club sales from back in the day. Mariah was a huge seller in the old Columbia House club. I was a member myself and bought most of my music from the club in the early and mid 90's. When stevyy says that MC could be certified 7M now, if Sony requested it, he's "speculating" that the club probably moved 150K or more. Based on the club sales stats of her other albums that we have, this is a conservative estimate.

Anyway, leaving the best guesses of club sales aside, just based on the info we do have, MC ought to easily surpass the 7M mark this next Christmas and be eligible for recertification. We'll see if Sony asks for it. I suspect they will since this is her 30th year in the biz and they will be promoting that.

Looks like ferrero has beat me to the punch... But in the end, club sales aside, our estimates aren't really that far apart.

Comment

I'm having this conversation with you in good faith. I assume you want to understand where we are coming from, as I am interested in understanding where you are coming from.

The club sales would have been included in that latest certification, but the question under discussion is how much over 6M and under 7 million that actual total is. For that additional amount, as your own estimate admits, we have to rely on other published and reliable sources like Soundscan, club sales for older titles, current SPS data, etc. Adding what we know up gives us an idea of the eligibility of a certification, even if the studio hasn't requested it. You know all of this, of course.

There is room for speculation. Like in the case of her debut album, how close is it to Diamond? It's somewhere between 9-10M but I really can't speculate with much confidence about where it lands in there. I tend to think it's closer to 9 than 10, that's my best guess. But that isn't the case with Merry Christmas. We have a lot more info. So this is what we know from the facts out there, which stevyy has assembled:

6.4 (via SS in summer '18) + 200K SPS (Christmas '18) + 270k SPS (Christmas '19). That gets us in the 6.85M range. But what this unit total doesn't include is club sales from back in the day. Mariah was a huge seller in the old Columbia House club. I was a member myself and bought most of my music from the club in the early and mid 90's. When stevyy says that MC could be certified 7M now, if Sony requested it, he's "speculating" that the club probably moved 150K or more. Based on the club sales stats of her other albums that we have, this is a conservative estimate.

Anyway, leaving the best guesses of club sales aside, just based on the info we do have, MC ought to easily surpass the 7M mark this next Christmas and be eligible for recertification. We'll see if Sony asks for it. I suspect they will since this is her 30th year in the biz and they will be promoting that.

Looks like ferrero has beat me to the punch... But in the end, club sales aside, our estimates aren't really that far apart.
                            I just think if it was that close to 7 why would they not simply have waited until the end of this xmas season and recertified it for seven then.
                            And yeah i totally agree with you on the debut. I would put it as 9.2 million max.

Actually it was me who told him to lets move on first

Comment

I just think if it was that close to 7 why would they not simply have waited until the end of this xmas season and recertified it for seven then.
                              And yeah i totally agree with you on the debut. I would put it as 9.2 million max.

Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Now InFamous, you know you are "speculating" there. *wink*. Since Sony requested an update of her whole catalog, I assume it was more for general promotional purposes ahead of the 25th Anniversary album and not about any strategic certification of MC by itself. I admit, I'm speculating too. Seems reasonable though.

BTW, I don't find you to be a hostile conversation partner. When I have time for them, I enjoy these debates, so long as they are in good faith. I've seen some lambs jump you for trolling when I thought you made fair observations even when I disagreed with them. The Debut total is an example of that. I didn't have time to comment during that debate, but I do find time to lurk and keep up with the conversation. 9.2 is reasonable. I'd probably go a bit higher, 9.4 range, but I really wouldn't be shocked if it was more or less. I just am not sure about the pre-SS era. I do dream of waking up and reading that she's collected her third Diamond, however unlikely.

Good talk, InFamous. Thanks and good night.

Comment

We have all shown the basis of our estimates leading to the 6.85M figure. Regardless of who initiated, a constructive conversation is not going to happen when you are unable to provide a basis of your "BEST" estimate.

Comment

Now InFamous, you know you are "speculating" there. *wink*. Since Sony requested an update of her whole catalog, I assume it was more for general promotional purposes ahead of the 25th Anniversary album and not about any strategic certification of MC by itself. I admit, I'm speculating too. Seems reasonable though.

BTW, I don't find you to be a hostile conversation partner. When I have time for them, I enjoy these debates, so long as they are in good faith. I've seen some lambs jump you for trolling when I thought you made fair observations even when I disagreed with them. The Debut total is an example of that. I didn't have time to comment during that debate, but I do find time to lurk and keep up with the conversation. 9.2 is reasonable. I'd probably go a bit higher, 9.4 range, but I really wouldn't be shocked if it was more or less. I just am not sure about the pre-SS era. I do dream of waking up and reading that she's collected her third Diamond, however unlikely.

Good talk, InFamous. Thanks and good night.
                                  No you seem absolutely delightful. Mannerly and reasonable. And i have nothing but good feelings for the wonderful stevvy also.

Goodnight

Comment

• ChartMasters did an analysis of Spotify's All Time Most streamed Artists. Mimi is ranked 34th among female artists.

https://chartmasters.org/2019/12/spo...eamed-artists/

Comment

ChartMasters did an analysis of Spotify's All Time Most streamed Artists. Mimi is ranked 34th among female artists.

Is that their total career streams ?

Comment

• Yup apparently they managed to get access to Spotify's API which allowed them to churn out total numbers.

Comment

• Luis Miguel next to Kween. How does he have over 3 billion streams tho? I can’t name a single song of his and I live in an area with a high Hispanic population, so I’m a little more savvy than the average non-Latino.
                                          Originally posted by SawyerHewitt
                                          All dem dead musicians rolling over in their graves 'cause they were never able to come up w/smth as epic and timeless as Kween when she crafted this.

Happy B' day, We beGOAT together <3

Comment

ChartMasters did an analysis of Spotify's All Time Most streamed Artists. Mimi is ranked 34th among female artists.

There is a few legacy artist at the bottom of the list with both Mariah Carey and Madonna charted, at 34 and 40, respectively.
                                            Pretty impressive for Legends.
                                            Competing with artists half their age
                                            [center:373j9ui8]"Music starts with M and ends with C"

Mariah Carey[/center:373j9ui8]

Comment

• Mariah Carey's biggest songs on Spotify

Timeframe: January 4th

01 - 666,779,999 - +302,258 - 1994 - All I want for Christmas Is You
                                              02 - 214,004,016 - +163,088 - 2005 - We Belong Together
                                              03 - 150,919,755 - +109,480 - 1996 - Always by my Baby
                                              04 - 102,375,501 - +80,064 - 2003 - I Know what you Want
                                              05 - 101,785,717- +95,478 - 1993 - Hero
                                              06 - 89,375,051 - +31,777 - 1994 - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
                                              07 - 87,125,609 - +87,703 - 1995 - Fantasy
                                              08 - 85,677,927 - +125,458 - 2009 - Obsessed
                                              09 - 84,894,462- +73,146 - 1994 - Without You
                                              10 - 75,874,101 - +19,439 - 2013 - #Beautiful
                                              --
                                              11 - 71,613,342 - +57,157 - 1995 - One Sweet Day
                                              12 - 65,912,644 - +46,421 - 2008 - Touch my Body
                                              13 - 58,760,835 - +15,121 - 2011 - AIWFCIY (ft. JB)
                                              14 - 54,246,835 - +51,987 - 1998 - When You Believe

Comment

• thank you [MENTION=6418]ferrero[/MENTION]
                                                My Chart

Comment

• Spotify Career:

3,169 million - Mariah Carey
                                                  2,368 million - Madonna
                                                  2,296 million - Jennifer Lopez
                                                  2,210 million - Christina Aguilera
                                                  My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                                    Spotify Career:

3,169 million - Mariah Carey
                                                    2,368 million - Madonna
                                                    2,296 million - Jennifer Lopez
                                                    2,210 million - Christina Aguilera
                                                    Mariah almost has more than Britney!

Rank33 Britney
                                                    Rank34 Mariah
                                                    Only 2million separating them
                                                    [center:373j9ui8]"Music starts with M and ends with C"

Mariah Carey[/center:373j9ui8]

Comment

Working...
                                                    X