Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ But we (or I) are talking about worldwide charts. Surely she would make the charts in a few countries with a normal release on a Friday with digital sales alone IF she would have a full week. It's obvious she won't make the Hot 100 even with a Friday release, that wasn't even my point. But she would have better entries/peaks (or entries at all) in countries such as Switzerland, UK, maybe Austria, Germany, Spain (?), ... and that's better than nothing at all IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Westen View Post
      Her team never learns...
      Neither do you.
      Don't worry, this will be my last post on UKMIX that will be related to Madonna, I won't be spending time anymore with people like you in this thread and in other Madonna related threads. Enjoy the new era and all the trolls that will be coming with it
      I have received many gifts from God,
      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
        ^ But we (or I) are talking about worldwide charts. Surely she would make the charts in a few countries with a normal release on a Friday with digital sales alone IF she would have a full week. It's obvious she won't make the Hot 100 even with a Friday release, that wasn't even my point. But she would have better entries/peaks (or entries at all) in countries such as Switzerland, UK, maybe Austria, Germany, Spain (?), ... and that's better than nothing at all IMO.
        We covered that hours ago and moved on. Not the first time she fumbles tracking weeks. At this point it doesn't seem like she cares about charting anymore. Which is fine as she's better off releasing good music, so I'm hoping that's the case here.
        I have received many gifts from God,
        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Originally posted by beredy View Post
          Neither do you.
          I joined UKmix in 2013 mainly for charts purposes, so you can sit your pressed ass down ;)

Comment

It comes back and is hysterical about... iTunes? Lawd!
            These comments are not helpful - please don't make them.

With every Madonna era, UKMIX sees arguments - this is an open message to all UKMIX members that you should engage with one another in a civil manner and use the post reporting functionality where applicable.

The moderation team will apply infractions where appropriate.

Comment

At this point it doesn't seem like she cares about charting anymore.

Comment

We covered that hours ago and moved on. Not the first time she fumbles tracking weeks. At this point it doesn't seem like she cares about charting anymore. Which is fine as she's better off releasing good music, so I'm hoping that's the case here.
                Well then nevermind if you already moved on, I only just arrived

You know, my 'fears' of this not doing too well is probably just me. Because what can we expect? As you say, it's not like she's here for a smash hit on the Singles Charts nowadays. If it happens we will take it. If it won't, it wouldn't be the worst thing and not unexpected. But one can dream... and something in me thinks it would have been easier with a normal release on a Friday.

Comment

Living for Love, Ghosttown and Bitch Im Madonna had really low peaks or did not chart at all. I don’t think they are looking for a top 10 or even top 40 hit but a sleeper.

Maluma is pretty unknown in certain countries but he is a huge streaming artist and really relevant in other territories. And Madonna happens to be still big in those countries: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Italy, Spain...

So let’s wait to see what happens cause this may be a great move

Comment

So, stupid decision right from the start. Both Maluma and Madonna don't have any power on itunes, and if song really is in Spanish it sure won't do anything in her main markets (English speaking ones - I mean if amazing Chantaje failed to be a charting hit in US, UK, Australia...) so first week sales/streams will probably her only shot at peaking high in some markets, it probably won't do anything in UK and US, especially after 2 days... Youtube views (since they are probably aiming for that) don't sell albums or tickets, nothing's changed (and grillZ are still there, so it's continuation of Menopausedonna?)... Not to mention that it won't be playlisted anywhere first two days... *where is rolling eyes icon???*

Maluma's last single did nothing on major charts...

I'm still excited for the music, but from charts perspective, it will be dead on arrival. Taylor is releasing in 10 days, Beyonce has docu in few days, Gaga is coming in few weeks, Rihanna...

Let's just home Nelly Furtado's husband is not mixing this damn album!!
                    I don't think Madonna is looking for a hit on the charts.
                    My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

By realising a single with Colombian artist Maluma I don't think she is aiming for a mega success in Australia, UK or the USA. So don't be so narrow minded and be faithful. She is so obviously aiming to please her Latin American audience, a place where she has always been huge btw.

And let's not forget about Spain or Italy, where she might score yet another chart topping single (she has literally dozens in those countries)
                      Last edited by babyshower; Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:04.

Comment

Originally posted by flotando View Post
                        Living for Love, Ghosttown and Bitch Im Madonna had really low peaks or did not chart at all. I don’t think they are looking for a top 10 or even top 40 hit but a sleeper.

Maluma is pretty unknown in certain countries but he is a huge streaming artist and really relevant in other territories. And Madonna happens to be still big in those countries: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Italy, Spain...

So let’s wait to see what happens cause this may be a great move
                        Well, we can't really compare anything to RH start, all songs leaked, and were rush released night before Xmas freeze, it was mess.

This is her first proper release since GMAYL, but market is not frontloaded like it was back in the day... All I wanted was top 40 single in UK, Gemrnay, France, and maybe top 80 in US, but with first song featuting Maluma and most likely being spanish song, we can kiss charts goodbye. Sure, it might do well on streaming thanks to Maluma in his market in LA, but that is irrelevant to Madonna.

Comment

we can kiss charts goodbye.
                          Not exactly. I would rather have a certified single in Spain and Latin America that doesn't chart in the USA at all than having a #84 peaking tracks on Billboard Hot 100 that doesn't even get one single certification. I'd rather have a decent hit in some territories than a top 40 single in the UK that doesn't add anything to her already impressive collection of hits. Maluma has minor hits that certified more than anything on MDNA or Rebel Heart. And they didn't chart at all in the UK.

Sure, it might do well on streaming thanks to Maluma in his market in LA, but that is irrelevant to Madonna.
                          Well, Madonna happens to be the lead artist in case you didn't know.

Comment

Her last era with some chart relevance was the 'Hard Candy' era. I see two possibilities to return there: The album will either receive universal acclaim 'Lemonade'-style or get launched with that huge lead single (like e.g. Cher's 'Believe' or her own 'Hung Up'). It depends on whether she's planning this era with a focus on chart success or artistry...
                            When the bones are good, the rest don't matter
                            Yeah, the paint could peel, the glass could shatter
                            (Maren Morris)

Comment

If Maluma himself promotes this to his fans on social media this will get big numbers on Youtube. Many artists are looking to hit it big on Youtube these days.

Charting for one week on the Hot 100 is not financially appealing for veteran artists these days. Madonna is clearly aiming to hit other territories, expand her audiences and reach new younger markets instead by increasing her Youtube and streaming numbers (no matter where the numbers come from).
                              Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                Her last era with some chart relevance was the 'Hard Candy' era.
                                This is not true. MDNA was one of the best selling albums of 2012 and received certifications in 20 countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                                  These comments are not helpful - please don't make them.

With every Madonna era, UKMIX sees arguments - this is an open message to all UKMIX members that you should engage with one another in a civil manner and use the post reporting functionality where applicable.

The moderation team will apply infractions where appropriate.
                                  That's it, we still do not learn the lesson....
                                  Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                    If Maluma himself promotes this to his fans on social media this will get big numbers on Youtube. Many artists are looking to hit it big on Youtube these days.

Charting for one week on the Hot 100 is not financially appealing for veteran artists these days. Madonna is clearly aiming to hit other territories, expand her audiences and reach new younger markets instead by increasing her Youtube and streaming numbers (no matter where the numbers come from).
                                    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Daddy Yankee is just as strong as Maluma on youtube (if not even stronger, I mean Despacito had him, right?) and it still did nothing for Janet's single... Even video views are not that big - 60m.

We're all giving too much credit to Maluma because we want Madonna to succeed.

Comment

This is not true. MDNA was one of the best selling albums of 2012 and received certifications in 20 countries.
                                      It was a better musical climate (higher pure sales) and she had a bigger fanbase back then too, a fanbase large enough to get her certified in several markets just with the copies bought by her millions of fans. But let's be honest it's pretty much a reach to say that MDNA era was that much relevant outside of her fanbase, the GP pretty much skipped this one.
                                      Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

Of course...
                                        Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

Comment

her Youtube and streaming numbers (no matter where the numbers come from).
                                          I think this is key to understand what she and her team are aiming for this era.

Comment

It was a better musical climate (higher pure sales) and she had a bigger fanbase back then too, a fanbase large enough to get her certified in several markets just with the copies bought by her millions of fans. But let's be honest it's pretty much a reach to say that MDNA era was that much relevant outside of her fanbase, the GP pretty much skipped this one.
                                            20 is not several. Feel free and name albums that you consider flop (like MDNA) that received certifications in 20 countries this decade...

IFPI has it #12 on their list of bestselling albums of 2012.

Mediatraffic had her at #16 on YEC that year, #16 is #16, has nothing to do with sales climate. Being one of top 20 best selling albums of the year IS an achievement (for example Ariana's Sweetener was #17 on last year's chart)

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Daddy Yankee is just as strong as Maluma on youtube (if not even stronger, I mean Despacito had him, right?) and it still did nothing for Janet's single... Even video views are not that big - 60m.

We're all giving too much credit to Maluma because we want Madonna to succeed.
                                              Well, I'm from Latin America so I'm pretty familiar with the trends over here and yeah Daddy Yankee is still a big name but I would say Maluma is more trendy right now over here.

Comment

Well, Janet Jackson is relatively unknown in Latin America, at least compared to Madonna. The same can be said about Kylie Minogue and her Gente de Zona collab.

Comment

20 is not several. Feel free and name albums that you consider flop (like MDNA) that received certifications in 20 countries this decade...

IFPI has it #12 on their list of bestselling albums of 2012.

Mediatraffic had her at #16 on YEC that year, #16 is #16, has nothing to do with sales climate. Being one of top 20 best selling albums of the year IS an achievement (for example Ariana's Sweetener was #17 on last year's chart)
                                                  You didn't get the point. Her fanbase (back then) was so big that she could pull those numbers and placements based on her fanbase alone but that doesn't mean that she had the GP and people outside of her fanbase super interested on the "MDNA" era. In fact the "MDNA" album left the Mediatraffic chart after only 10 weeks, there wasn't much of an impact or relevance in the general musical scene with it but her fanbase was so large that those 10 weeks alone were enough for her to secure decent placements on the year end charts and certifications (the album sold 710K on first week alone, her fanbase was clearly huge but out of her community of fans "MDNA" is not really that known).

Comment

Well, since we're talking about MDNA, that album was widely considered a flop thanks to its lack of longevity in countries like the USA or the UK, although it achieved decent success in other countries (France, Mexico, Canada, Spain just to name a few), even in Japan where it was certified gold without any promotion. So that should indicate why she decided to promote her new record like this: she is done with trying to get the anglos back, it seems it doesn't matter what she does she is still gonna be discrimated against on their radio stations and be shred to pieces by their media and she is now going to please the audience who has supported her the most in the last decade. That audience also happens to be very active in streaming platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by babyshower View Post
                                                      Well, since we're talking about MDNA, that album was widely considered a flop thanks to its lack of longevity in countries like the USA or the UK, although it achieved decent success in other countries (France, Mexico, Canada, Spain just to name a few), even in Japan where it was certified gold without any promotion. So that should indicate why she decided to promote her new record like this: she is done with trying to get the anglos back, it seems it doesn't matter what she does she is still gonna be discrimated against on their radio stations and be shred to pieces by their media and she is now going to please the audience who has supported her the most in the last decade. That audience also happens to be very active in streaming platforms.
                                                      I honestly think she doesn't give a d*mn about USA and UK anymore, she's probably tired of focussing on those markets that won't probably ever welcome her back again.

She will definitely explore other markets and audiences.

Comment

You didn't get the point. Her fanbase (back then) was so big that she could pull those numbers and placements based on her fanbase alone but that doesn't mean that she had the GP and people outside of her fanbase super interested on the "MDNA" era. In fact the "MDNA" album left the Mediatraffic chart after only 10 weeks, there wasn't much of an impact or relevance in the general musical scene with it but her fanbase was so large that those 10 weeks alone were enough for her to secure decent placements on the year end charts and certifications (the album sold 710K on first week alone, her fanbase was clearly huge but out of her community of fans "MDNA" is not really that known).
                                                        I still don't see a reason for discrediting SUCCESS.

It's like saying 'Ariana has big fanbase now and that's why she's getting #1s'. You're stating the obvious.

The fact is that MDNA was #12 on IFPI's YEC. On top of that it received certifications in 20 countries - even few multiplatinum. And that alone is huge success for such a terrible album and non era. You just have to accept that.

Comment

Very very good for her. I think we should be more open minded of how things might end up being this era.

Comment

Can we already start over?
                                                            5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Releasing it on a Wednesday with only *1* of streaming points is definitely a horrible idea. Why not release on a Friday and give it a proper full week? Wouldn’t that be the smart thing to do?? She is Madonna after all.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X