Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avril Lavigne :: The "Head Above Water" Era

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Album: Head Above Water
    Apple Music:
    #165 China
    #189 Cambodia
    #469 New Zealand
    #497 Philippines
    #498 Ireland
    #1359 United Kingdom

    Avril Lavigne Charts has also tweeted performance of HAW (single in USA and worldwide); https://twitter.com/avrilcharladts/s...08251081822216
    USA;
    Pure Sales: 193,000 Youtube: 268,000 (39,850,000) Spotify: 192,000 (28,800,000) Others: 172,000 (25,900,000) TOTAL: 825,000

    Worldwide;
    China: 2,250,000; USA 825,000; Canada 165,000; Japan 100,000; UK 90,000; Germany 65,000; Philippines 65,000; Brazil 55,000; Plus lots of others here https://twitter.com/avrilcharladts/s...20032688828417 TOTAL: 4,030,000

    Comment


    • Originally posted by thebestdamnfan View Post

      I agree with you. Plus, especially in the streaming era it's not just how you start but it's how you finish that really matters, and the album is still getting around 220K daily streams on Spotify (I'm not counting WAW, though we may include it in the total streams for the era). The album has moved around 500,000 units (TEAs and SEAs included) and that's fine.
      Avril's streams have picked up a bit more and the album sold 700k Worldwide I think.200k in the USA(or 170k+) not too bad.

      Its important that the fans enjoy the album rather than care for the sales as most albums don't do well nowadays. She needs to leave BMG too. New record label needed.
      Also,in China alone she sold like 1 million copies and around 80k plus in Japan,200k in USA.She's doing well Worldwide.
      Last edited by Meeran Qureshi; Sat June 13th, 2020, 19:33.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Meeran Qureshi View Post

        Avril's streams have picked up a bit more and the album sold 700k Worldwide I think.200k in the USA(or 170k+) not too bad.

        Its important that the fans enjoy the album rather than care for the sales as most albums don't do well nowadays. She needs to leave BMG too. New record label needed.
        Also,in China alone she sold like 1 million copies and around 80k plus in Japan,200k in USA.She's doing well Worldwide.
        Please don't make up fake numbers with no receipts. The album is at around 500K-530K units WW, not more. It will need a couple of years to eventually get 700K, let alone 1M units.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by strong91 View Post

          Please don't make up fake numbers with no receipts. The album is at around 500K-530K units WW, not more. It will need a couple of years to eventually get 700K, let alone 1M units.
          Few sources said it sold 600k few months back.Some even said 800k(I doubt this though). China sales were 200k few weeks after the album was out.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Meeran Qureshi View Post

            Few sources said it sold 600k few months back.Some even said 800k(I doubt this though). China sales were 200k few weeks after the album was out.
            For China, I'd use Chartmasters method to estimate Chinese sales. She sold around 175,000 digital downloads in China but you have to keep in mind that price is way lower than a typical digital album sold through iTunes. So 175,000 digital Chinese downloads stand for like 70,000 digital copies sold at $9.99, then she moved around 30,000 SPS (I used Chartmasters method taking Xiami streaming numbers, which is a small Chinese streaming platform where you can check streaming numbers as with Spotify), then we can estimate at least 10,000 physical copies sold in China and you have a total of 110,000 units for the album in China.
            So 500-550K WW is a good estimation, but definitely not 600K. Everyone can claim an album sold 1M, 2M. But then you need to provide receipts.
            Last edited by strong91; Sun June 14th, 2020, 11:39.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Meeran Qureshi View Post

              Few sources said it sold 600k few months back.Some even said 800k(I doubt this though). China sales were 200k few weeks after the album was out.
              China sold 2.5million copies of the HAW song also.

              Japan sold about 80k album copies,USA sold 150k-170k,Canada sold 20k+, China sold a lot. And the album gets about 250k Spotify streams daily which is good.Not that bad. So...
              Last edited by Meeran Qureshi; Sun June 14th, 2020, 12:53.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Meeran Qureshi View Post

                China sold 2.5million copies of the HAW song also.

                Japan sold about 80k album copies,USA sold 150k-170k,Canada sold 20k+, China sold a lot. And the album gets about 250k Spotify streams daily which is good.Not that bad. So...
                Those numbers for HAW (song) are probably SPS, not really digital downloads. We can't access those numbers.
                The album has moved around 60-65K units in Japan, the rest is accurate.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by strong91 View Post

                  Those numbers for HAW (song) are probably SPS, not really digital downloads. We can't access those numbers.
                  The album has moved around 60-65K units in Japan, the rest is accurate.
                  Nah. The album sold 60k copies in Japan long ago.I don't believe you but anyway.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Meeran Qureshi View Post

                    Nah. The album sold 60k copies in Japan long ago.I don't believe you but anyway.
                    When the album left Japan charts, it was at around 55K units. It was almost a year since it left the charts there and it was moving around 300 units per week. Trust me, my estimations are accurate. There's no way it sold like 25K units in 9 months when it wasn't even charting.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by strong91 View Post

                      For China, I'd use Chartmasters method to estimate Chinese sales. She sold around 175,000 digital downloads in China but you have to keep in mind that price is way lower than a typical digital album sold through iTunes. So 175,000 digital Chinese downloads stand for like 70,000 digital copies sold at $9.99, then she moved around 30,000 SPS (I used Chartmasters method taking Xiami streaming numbers, which is a small Chinese streaming platform where you can check streaming numbers as with Spotify), then we can estimate at least 10,000 physical copies sold in China and you have a total of 110,000 units for the album in China.
                      So 500-550K WW is a good estimation, but definitely not 600K. Everyone can claim an album sold 1M, 2M. But then you need to provide receipts.
                      It doesn't matter if the price is lower for digital albums, it sold around 175,000 on that one digital platform so that is what it sold. It wasn't streaming figures it was actually downloaded around 175,000 times.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by StephenN17 View Post

                        It doesn't matter if the price is lower for digital albums, it sold around 175,000 on that one digital platform so that is what it sold. It wasn't streaming figures it was actually downloaded around 175,000 times.
                        I know it actually sold 175,000 digital downloads but with this method, you might avoid the distortion of the relevant price difference, just like some albums charts downgrade the two most streamed songs off an album, or when we use the general ratio of 1500:1 for SEAs despite the fact each country has its own method.
                        You need to produce consistent numbers that are universally accepted.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by strong91 View Post

                          When the album left Japan charts, it was at around 55K units. It was almost a year since it left the charts there and it was moving around 300 units per week. Trust me, my estimations are accurate. There's no way it sold like 25K units in 9 months when it wasn't even charting.
                          The single sold 100k copies in Japan.How much impact does that have on the album?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Meeran Qureshi View Post

                            The single sold 100k copies in Japan.How much impact does that have on the album?
                            I’m still really surprised the album didn’t do better in Japan, it’s always been her ‘safe’ country where sales are concerned, and the Japanese music industry is still very sales-driven

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jacky93 View Post

                              I’m still really surprised the album didn’t do better in Japan, it’s always been her ‘safe’ country where sales are concerned, and the Japanese music industry is still very sales-driven
                              Well you need to consider the album sound, I mean it's mostly a piano-ballad driven album that apparently doesn't click with the Japanese market.
                              It's probably the reason why a WW smash like A Star is Born struggled in Japan as well despite the fact Gaga is really popular in the country.
                              This time around she lacked an upbeat song who could become a moderate hit in Japan, as Rock n' Roll did during self-titled era.
                              All things considered, 65K in the country is a good result.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by strong91 View Post

                                Well you need to consider the album sound, I mean it's mostly a piano-ballad driven album that apparently doesn't click with the Japanese market.
                                It's probably the reason why a WW smash like A Star is Born struggled in Japan as well despite the fact Gaga is really popular in the country.
                                This time around she lacked an upbeat song who could become a moderate hit in Japan, as Rock n' Roll did during self-titled era.
                                All things considered, 65K in the country is a good result.
                                That does make sense actually. It technically did have that Japanese-friendly pop track (Dumb Blonde) it’s just a real shame it wasn’t properly pushed as a single there.

                                On a different note, did any UK-based fans notice that DB was used as a backing track for Naked Attraction recently?

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by jacky93 View Post

                                  I’m still really surprised the album didn’t do better in Japan, it’s always been her ‘safe’ country where sales are concerned, and the Japanese music industry is still very sales-driven
                                  Charts don't matter man.Even her debut album,her most successful to date globally including Japan peaked at #6 and first few singles didn't even chart in Japan.Its also a comeback after nearly 6 years. You can get one album peaked #6 then you can suddenly get the next to peak at #1 so charts don't matter. Her tour will still do great. Her record label didn't promote the album.Blame BMG!

                                  And yeah,it peaked better in Germany since 2007. Best peak since TBDT. Even in the UK,it did better than her 2013 release so yeah.
                                  Last edited by Meeran Qureshi; Tue June 16th, 2020, 09:39.

                                  Comment


                                  • Album: Head Above Water
                                    iTunes:
                                    #534 United Kingdom

                                    Apple Music:
                                    #183 China
                                    #466 Philippines
                                    #478 Brazil
                                    #1170 United Kingdom

                                    Continued streaming in China and Philippines on Apple music, plus a return of UK too. Is UK album over 20k now?

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by avrilforever View Post
                                      Album: Head Above Water
                                      iTunes:
                                      #534 United Kingdom

                                      Apple Music:
                                      #183 China
                                      #466 Philippines
                                      #478 Brazil
                                      #1170 United Kingdom

                                      Continued streaming in China and Philippines on Apple music, plus a return of UK too. Is UK album over 20k now?
                                      I don't it's over 20K but probably close to that.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by strong91 View Post

                                        I don't know if it's over 20K but probably close to that.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X