No announcement yet.

Katy Perry :: The "Smile" Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know if this is reliable but... NRO has 243k digital sales and 266M streams in the US.
    You got me feeling hella good, so let's just keep on dancin...

Comment

• Really good to see her slowly climb to No 1 on US itunes over four days. I thought she might be out of the top 20 by now !!

Streaming is really letting this down, she only has 7 points from spotify and 12 from youtube on the global rankings chart
      Last edited by InFamous; Tue September 1, 2020, 01:45.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post

What has that to do with anything? Beyonce released Lemonade and sold 653k copies in 5 days at 35, Madonna released Ray Of Light at 40, Janet released All For You at 35, Pink had a quite successful era with Beautiful Trauma at 37, Sia had her biggest hit ever at 39 and followed with Cheap Thrills at 41 etc. It's harder for women to be relevant at a certain age but this sounds like it's some impossible task
        I think that age affects female artists greatly, unfortunately. Not necessarily, there are always exceptions, but in most cases it does. Even those who remained successful in the late 30s and even 40s weren't as successful as they used to be, and even those who had tremendous success, it wasn't a part of a continuous success at that level, but rather just one fleeting moment during those trying times in their careers as recording artists. Hopefully, Katy will have those moments too, but it's unrealistic to expect a hit after hit and continuously big sales. I really wish that anglophone countries are more like some European countries where age doesn't play a big role. In some of them, artists only grow bigger with age.
        Gone.

Comment

• Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Still a better prediction than last weekend. Her fans are doing a good job

Comment

• Yes, top 3 will be a decent result after that woeful prediction last week!!

Comment

• UK Midweeks
                5 (New) Smile

Comment

• UK Midweeks

69 (95) Smile
                  94 (RE) Daisies

Comment

• Oh nice, hopefully she will have two tracks on the top 100 this friday!

Smile still at number one on itunes US.

Comment

• Album seems to be growing slowly in the UK as the songs rise a bit on streams/sales.
                      You got me feeling hella good, so let's just keep on dancin...

Comment

• Still, i expect the album to end up at 6-7-8 in UK.
                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• @Bojan: I totally get what you're saying: For female singers, age unfortunately plays a role and even 'older' artists being successful need to compensate their age by releasing outstanding music, when, when you're younger, you may release something just solid and it will do well on the charts. The Singles Charts have been mostly driven by what young people listen for quite a long time, if not ever. There is definitely a cultural difference between the US and Europe when it comes to albums, indeed. If I look at the albums charting high in the US, I wouldn't know which ones are popular with a mature audience, while in Europe, even artists at 40+ can have successful albums as their fans are very loyal. Those artists can coexist with younger ones instead of getting replaced by them like in the US.
                          Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                          and everything you stand for?
                          Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                          just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• #5 is a nice midweek update in the UK, because based on the US predictions, it could have been even worse there.

I'm also afraid seeing some other positions (Germany, for example).

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                              Still, i expect the album to end up at 6-7-8 in UK.
                              Uk Katy-Cats needs to step up! The US division is doing a great job keeping the album at no 1 on itunes still!

Still 20 number ones on Apple music too.

Comment

• No. 5 would be a totally fine result in the UK, especially considering that there have been big albums debuting lower than that simply because of bad timing (e.g. 'Stripped', 'Rated R', 'I Am...Sasha Fierce').
                                Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                                and everything you stand for?
                                Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                                just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                  #5 is a nice midweek update in the UK, because based on the US predictions, it could have been even worse there.

I'm also afraid seeing some other positions (Germany, for example).
                                  I don't think Germany really use Katy at this point, US and the UK are the only places I'm really watching.

Comment

• Japan (Oricon)

Physical Albums
                                    39 (NE) Smile (1,772)

Comment

• You got me feeling hella good, so let's just keep on dancin...

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                                        Not really.

YOUR METALLIC TOP 20

It's no race for #1 this week, as Taylor Swift is ahead at midweek by a substantial margin, which will give folklore (Republic) its sixth consecutive week on top. Debuts from Metallica and Katy Perry will compete for the week's top new entry.
                                        1. Taylor Swift (Republic) 86-91k total activity, 40-45k albums
                                        2. Pop Smoke (Victor Victor/Republic) 74-79k, 1-2k
                                        3. Juice WRLD (Grade A/Interscope) 63-68k, 1-2k
                                        4. Metallica (Blackened) 50-60k, 48-53k
                                        5. Katy Perry (Capitol) 50-60k, 40-45k
                                        6. Hamilton (Uptown/Atlantic) 45-50k, 3-5k
                                        https://m.hitsdailydouble.com/news&i...ETALLIC-TOP-20

Comment

• So the predictions are not going up despite the fact it hit #1 on iTunes. Betzad Hudson or whatever is not a reliable source.

Comment

• Originally posted by Instinct View Post
                                            So the predictions are not going up despite the fact it hit #1 on iTunes. Betzad Hudson or whatever is not a reliable source.
                                            Of course they were not going up (in fact Metallica surpassed her with their live album in these new predictions). iTunes is completely irrelevant and we’ve seen it this year with all of these divas campaigns that have put their albums at #1 or Top 3 for an entire week and don’t end up charting on the Billboard 200 (or even on the Album sales chart at all) because being #1 on iTunes with an album these days just means a few hundred copies.

Katy’s album is being sold mostly through her merch deals, different editions and streaming. iTunes is the last thing on that list for her (or anyone else’s) total.
                                            Last edited by MrLeonix; Tue September 1, 2020, 23:47.
                                            Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Certain people claiming itunes is irrelevant when they spent 20 pages discussing a recent single's performance on the same platform

People were dragging Katy for stalling at no 3 at the weekend, now when she has gone to no 1 it's suddenly not relevant. The transparency..

Regarding Katy, what is letting her down is her streaming. She has next to no streaming at all.

Last edited by InFamous; Tue September 1, 2020, 23:44.

Comment

• It’s not a claim though, it’s a fact. iTunes is irrelevant.

There’s nothing wrong with discussing iTunes positions on chart threads but expecting albums to get a prediction boost because of iTunes is not realistic.
                                                Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                                  It’s not a claim though, it’s a fact. iTunes is irrelevant.

There’s nothing wrong with discussing iTunes positions on chart threads but expecting albums to get a prediction boost because of iTunes is not realistic.
                                                  No one expects a big prediction boost because of itunes LOL

The prediction has a range difference of 10k anyway so maybe the boost will bring her a bit closer to the higher end of the prediction.

Obviously random tweets aren't reliable sources.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                                    Certain people claiming itunes is irrelevant when they spent 20 pages discussing a recent single's performance on the same platform
                                                    iTunes is so irrelevant that it's worrying when a big artist can't even go Top 10 with a brand new song. That's all.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X