Katy Perry :: The "Smile" Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Well, not so much. Even J.Lo got a #1 hit song with her 4th studio album (“This Is Me Then”) and then 12 years into her career got a huge global hit song with “On The Floor” which lead to massive success with a Vegas show and touring... all of this in addition of keeping a successful parallel career as an actress with a hit acclaimed film released just last year (“Hustlers”).

Katy was kinda like a more successful version of Kesha.
    Actually This is me Then was JLO's third studio album, not her fourth. (J to the LO is a remix album, not a studio album) Plus JLO's music flopped between 2005 and 2007 before she took a four year musical hiatus before she returned with On the Floor. So let us not act as if JLO had a huge musical career or that overall her music career is anything as big as what Katy Perry's was in the 10's when according to Billboard she is the fourth most successful female of the decade.

Comment

• My point is not about J.Lo’s career being big or not. It’s about the fact that J.Lo bounced back and put her career back on track to profitable numbers hence she (IMO) can’t be compared to Katy’s situation right now.
      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyonc้ . Rihanna

Comment

• Can you all please leave the comparisons and baiting comments, please.

Thank you.

Comment

• There is only one person who is trolling this thread and doing the baiting, bringing up other female artists here. Yet he doesn't seem to be receiving a warning yet if it was me or InFamous doing that, you would've already given us infractions.
          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Kesha!? lol give me a break. if anything she's closer to Britney/Christina territory but with more hits. her career trajectory reminds me of those two. but unlike them she's still young and can easily recover.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
              My point is not about J.Lo’s career being big or not. It’s about the fact that J.Lo bounced back and put her career back on track to profitable numbers hence she (IMO) can’t be compared to Katy’s situation right now.
              I would say that Katy's career is very profitable... with all those catalogue streams and even smile... is making $$. It wouldn't be profitable tho, if she gets like $10 million per album by the label.
              My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by NeverReallyOver View Post
                Kesha!? lol give me a break. if anything she's closer to Britney/Christina territory but with more hits. her career trajectory reminds me of those two. but unlike them she's still young and can easily recover.
                I disagree, both lasted over a decade without a flop. Both have the most important award - grammy, and one of them is considered one of the best singers in the world, in terms of influence (i.e. what is important to older artists) Katy looks... badly compared to them.

...there's no comparison at all, lol.

Last edited by likeidogoldlink; Mon September 7, 2020, 18:42.
                Xtina/Snoh ​​Aalegra/Rihanna/Lauren Hill/Rosalํa/Nina Simone/Patti Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by NeverReallyOver View Post
                  Kesha!? lol give me a break. if anything she's closer to Britney/Christina territory but with more hits. her career trajectory reminds me of those two. but unlike them she's still young and can easily recover.
                  This entire post....ugh I'm gonna stay quiet.
                  Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by Rebel X View Post
                    UK Midweeks

Albums

21 (5) Smile
                    Witness 2nd week was #17.

I guess it will fall during the week and it probably will end around #30, but it’s not a terrible result all things considered. Specially when compared to the presumably huge drop expected in US.

Comment

• I’m dreading the USA drop, I think it will be out of top 50 probably around 60 even

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post

Probably not.

Folklore numbers were even higher on 1st week on RS chart than on Billboard.
                        And she sold hundreds of thousands from her website that RS obviously counted.
                        RS should have higher sale numbers than Billboard as they have weighed counting. Regular edition album sale is 1 sale counted. Deluxe edition album sale is counted as 1.3 sold copies. Vinyl regular is counted as 2 sold units. Deluxe vinyl is counted as 2.5 sold units. So obviously RS didn't have data on all copies as Billboard did. RS album chart is a pointless mess. Not even physical sales are actual copies sold as you can see.
                        I have received many gifts from God,
                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• I’ll say it again, as it’s in the previous page and It seems some people didn’t see it or decided it to deliberately ignore it.

ENOUGH OF COMPARISONS.

Move on.

Comment

• I also expect Smile to be out of top 50 in US

They are not actively promoting any songs on radio. I thought Cry... would be the next single.
                            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                              I also expect Smile to be out of top 50 in US

They are not actively promoting any songs on radio. I thought Cry... would be the next single.
                              I think, on reflection, this album was for the fans. And Katy was stuck at home pregnant so she did the performances, the visuals, etc to give herself a focus. I can't see any more singles coming at this point. I think this era will just be left to die quietly.

Comment

• Big second week drops are expected, considering low streaming and the fact that physical pre-orders counted towards 1st week sales. Yet, we should keep in my mind that this album hasn't been a typical Katy release. I mean, its first (and most successful) single, Never Really Over, was released over a year ago. Then, releasing individual mid-tempo and not very catchy ot radio - friendly singles (and videos) month after month (Small Talk, Harleys in Hawaii, Never Worn White, Daisies) was no great help to her popularity, plus she got overexposed. As a result, there was no hype and no surprise factor to the general public, when Smile was finally released. News of her pregnacy seemed to be the only thing people cared about. It's a shame, because this album is really good and deserves more recognition. Noone can tell for sure, but imo had it been a proper release, with Never Really Over released as the first single during quarantine (followed by Cry About it Later or Smile), this album would have probably had a much bigger commercial success.
                                If you're gonna act like a bitch, then you're gonna die like a bitch!

Comment

• SPAIN
                                  5 (New) Smile

Comment

• Top 5 in US, UK, AU, Spain from the big markets.

Do we know where it debuted in Canada ?

Comment

• Originally posted by PopFan View Post
                                      Top 5 in US, UK, AU, Spain from the big markets.

Do we know where it debuted in Canada ?
                                      #5.

It's on previous page.

Comment

• Nice so top 5 in Anglosphere, minus Ireland (#9).

#2 Australia

#4 New Zealand

#5 US, UK, Canada

Too bad there is no song to carry it on the charts, at least Witness had Swish Swish to give it a push in some countries.

Comment

• I'm a huge fan of Katy and this is NOT meant to troll at all. Just my take on the Smile era.

In short, Katy has not evolved as an artist. Lyrically, she sings/writes in cliches and that hasn't changed. She's trying to stick to a style that gave her hits during Teenage Dream and Prism era. I think the biggest problem here is that she's not growing up with her fans. What's a great example? Taylor Swift...(again..NO HATE...just giving an example). Can you imagine her putting out "We Are Never Getting Back Together" as a single right now? That's what I feel like Katy is doing. I'm not saying that just because you're older you can't have fun in music anymore...BUT...that's also part of the problem. Katy is no longer trying to have fun (even since the "purposeful pop" thing) and she's been writing on more serious topics...but again...still writing in cliches and not letting her sound evolve. She's probably someone that could stick to her campy/fun/tongue-in-cheek style and still find success with it. That's why we loved her in the first place. She's just not quite finding the right direction at the moment.

What I think she needs to do next is put out an acoustic album (of new material and also of her big hits? I'd honestly love that) or something really unexpected, get people interested again, build a little momentum, and then come back with a (hopefully) massive pop album.

I wanted to love Smile (the album) but I didn't. Never Really Over is the best song on there and boy oh boy what a missed opportunity. SMASH single (it could have been huge if they really pushed it) and the music video is so great and shows an evolution WHILE sticking with her campy/funny style. NRO should have been her massive comeback single.

I have to point out one more thing...I love Katy and she's very endearing and cute in interviews. Sometimes I feel like she could turn people off when she talks about not worrying about having another hit, or about album sales...and then goes on to say "I've got the records, the number ones, sales, halftime show..etc. talk to me when you have those." (not word for word but that's basically what she said). And that sort of boasting is kind of a turn off and it also shows that she's Never Really (been) Over the sales thing and she's just pretending that she is.

Side note: JLO had a VERY successful run for 3 albums. Just like Katy, but if you check the sales JLO actually has more. I understand that JLO's career has also been very up and down (musically) but she's been super successful. And the thing about Katy is....she IS 2010 and 2011 (even some of 2012). JLO (for example) doesn't have a takeover year. Regardless if she never has big hits or massive sales again, she's one of the most successful artists in the past couple of decades and that's set in stone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blutrins View Post
                                            I'm a huge fan of Katy and this is NOT meant to troll at all. Just my take on the Smile era.

In short, Katy has not evolved as an artist. Lyrically, she sings/writes in cliches and that hasn't changed. She's trying to stick to a style that gave her hits during Teenage Dream and Prism era. I think the biggest problem here is that she's not growing up with her fans. What's a great example? Taylor Swift...(again..NO HATE...just giving an example). Can you imagine her putting out "We Are Never Getting Back Together" as a single right now? That's what I feel like Katy is doing. I'm not saying that just because you're older you can't have fun in music anymore...BUT...that's also part of the problem. Katy is no longer trying to have fun (even since the "purposeful pop" thing) and she's been writing on more serious topics...but again...still writing in cliches and not letting her sound evolve. She's probably someone that could stick to her campy/fun/tongue-in-cheek style and still find success with it. That's why we loved her in the first place. She's just not quite finding the right direction at the moment.

What I think she needs to do next is put out an acoustic album (of new material and also of her big hits? I'd honestly love that) or something really unexpected, get people interested again, build a little momentum, and then come back with a (hopefully) massive pop album.

I wanted to love Smile (the album) but I didn't. Never Really Over is the best song on there and boy oh boy what a missed opportunity. SMASH single (it could have been huge if they really pushed it) and the music video is so great and shows an evolution WHILE sticking with her campy/funny style. NRO should have been her massive comeback single.

I have to point out one more thing...I love Katy and she's very endearing and cute in interviews. Sometimes I feel like she could turn people off when she talks about not worrying about having another hit, or about album sales...and then goes on to say "I've got the records, the number ones, sales, halftime show..etc. talk to me when you have those." (not word for word but that's basically what she said). And that sort of boasting is kind of a turn off and it also shows that she's Never Really (been) Over the sales thing and she's just pretending that she is.

Side note: JLO had a VERY successful run for 3 albums. Just like Katy, but if you check the sales JLO actually has more. I understand that JLO's career has also been very up and down (musically) but she's been super successful. And the thing about Katy is....she IS 2010 and 2011 (even some of 2012). JLO (for example) doesn't have a takeover year. Regardless if she never has big hits or massive sales again, she's one of the most successful artists in the past couple of decades and that's set in stone.

I like your take and I agree for the most part with it, but can we please let go off NRO Smash potential, in the streaming you put something on spotify top playlists and radio and see how it goes, NRO debuted ok and then was hanging on the 20s/30s range of Hot 100. It was on TTH and other playlists, thats the biggest promo an artist can have today, all the others are irrelevant. The callouts killed it on radio and it couldn't repeak, it is what it is. I don't think it would become a bigger hit. In USA, it has sold 1.5m units, so it will be certified x2 Platinum in the future.

Comment

• ESTONIA
                                              38 (New) 1 Smile

Comment

• Blutrins now THAT is what I call facts and facts only.
                                                Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Smile on The Charts:
                                                  Australia #2
                                                  Austria (Pending)

Belgium (Flanders)
                                                  Belgium (Wallonia) #5
                                                  Canada #5
                                                  Czech Republic #35
                                                  Denmark (Pending)

Estonia
                                                  Finland #18
                                                  France #17
                                                  Germany #14
                                                  Hungary (Pending)

Ireland
                                                  Italy #10
                                                  Japan #39
                                                  Lithuania #24
                                                  Mexico (Pending)

Netherlands
                                                  New Zealand #2
                                                  Norway #25
                                                  Poland (Pending)

Portugal (Pending)

Scottish
                                                  Slovakia #28
                                                  Spain #5
                                                  Sweden #58
                                                  Switzerland (Pending)

Taiwan
                                                  UK #5
                                                  US #5

WW Sales 1st. week ?
                                                  Last edited by jjavier1978; Tue September 8, 2020, 20:55.
                                                  Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

Comment

• No Katy in the new HITS' Top 20 estimates:

https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=...OIT-CHART-CITY

Comment

Working...
                                                    X