Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thebigham View Post

Smile was not a single in the USA.
    I meant to write Daisies , must have went to sleep for a second. And yeah I know. I mean she only had one real single in the US for this album - Daisies. People trying to claim she had 8 singles are delusional ! The droplets from a year ago were just added on and had no impact at all on first week album sales.

Comment

• Originally posted by NeverReallyOver View Post
      Ummmm Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Madonna, Christina Aguilera all had massive drops too way out of the top 50? why not include them??? its a well known fact pop females over 30 have it way harder in this youth dominated industry. dont compare her to Ariana or Selena its dumb.
      Sorry but comparing Katy to Madonna, Mariah, Britney etc it's not fair! You can't compare Katy who is an artist that debuted in the digital era and went successfully through the streaming era as well with acts like Madonna and Mariah who debuted decades ago! Of course the older acts are struggling with streaming. Katy had huge streaming hits until a few years ago and even NRO had big streaming support and has impressive streams for a generally moderate hit! You should compare her with her peers (Gaga, Taylor, Rihanna etc.) and no with legacy acts.

Comment

• Originally posted by GaGarazzi View Post
        In happier news..

Australian Album Charts:

7 (2) Smile

Witness also debuted at #2 and dropped to #6 in its second week, so she seems to be showing some consistency here. We'll have to see what the third week entails though.
        Great to see this staying in the top 10 in Australia

Comment

• The fact we're comparing Katy to industry veterans who are 20-30+ years into the game says it all really.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarrisGaga View Post

Sorry but comparing Katy to Madonna, Mariah, Britney etc it's not fair! You can't compare Katy who is an artist that debuted in the digital era and went successfully through the streaming era as well with acts like Madonna and Mariah who debuted decades ago! Of course the older acts are struggling with streaming. Katy had huge streaming hits until a few years ago and even NRO had big streaming support and has impressive streams for a generally moderate hit! You should compare her with her peers (Gaga, Taylor, Rihanna etc.) and no with legacy acts.
            And you think comparing her to Ariana is fair ? LOL Or Taylor. ? PLEASE.

People have been claiming for months now that Katy is over, she has no fans and that the GP have move on.
            All of those things are fair claims based on the way her songs performed on the charts.
            Therefore, expecting her album to perform in a different way is pointless. IT doesn't matter when she debuted. What matters is her current situation.
            Her streaming is terrible, beyond week one she was never going to have any sales. She has no single to keep this album in any way afloat.
            Obviously it was going to fall out of the top 50, the same as albums by other girls in her situation also have done.
            People thinking they made some next level prediction by saying it would drop out of the top 50 in week 2 are priceless.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
              And you think comparing her to Ariana is fair ? LOL Or Taylor. ? PLEASE.
              Maybe not Ariana ... but Taylor is comparable.

Taylor, Gaga, Rihanna and Adele are her direct main peers (all of them debuting in the mainstream scene with Katy between 2005-2008 during the digital iTunes era). They’ve all basically been in the business for the same time, and they’re all 30-35 year olds, they’re all from the same musical era and wave.

So yep.
              Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyonc้ . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Maybe not Ariana ... but Taylor is comparable.

Taylor, Gaga, Rihanna and Adele are her direct main peers (all of them debuting in the mainstream scene with Katy between 2005-2008 during the digital iTunes era). They’ve all basically been in the business for the same time, and they’re all 30-35 year olds, they’re all from the same musical era and wave.

So yep.
                It doesn't matter if someone is a peer or not. What matters is their current status in the industry. That determines how an album will perform not when they debuted.

And again, no one is claiming that this album is anything but a flop. Are you not understanding that fundamental point ?

And anyone compared to Taylor is a flop. So yep, indeed.

Comment

• Before the thread derails...

If you’re going to be able to use comparisons on a fair and objective way, go ahead. There’s nothing wrong if they’re on point and they’re facts.
                  But please let’s not turn the thread into a divas comparisons mess.

I think it’s simple.
                  Is it surprising NOW that it’s out of top 50 on 2nd week (maybe even Top 100)? No.
                  Would have been shocking and unbelievable just a few months ago or last year? Absolutely.
                  It’s Katy Perry we’re talking about. Not some B-list artist.

No need then to act “Omg, it cannot be true!!” watching her 2nd week drops, but definitely no need to act like this is “the norm” or completely normal for her either.
                  No need to say “ok, the era is done, let’s close the topic and never talk about it again, let’s just talk about her past achievements”...
                  This is chart analysis and, as long as it’s not trolling, it’s normal that this tremendous fall for an artist that was that huge just a few years ago, is analyzed and talked about.

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post
                    Before the thread derails...

If you’re going to be able to use comparisons on a fair and objective way, go ahead. There’s nothing wrong if they’re on point and they’re facts.
                    But please let’s not turn the thread into a divas comparisons mess.

I think it’s simple.
                    Is it surprising NOW that it’s out of top 50 on 2nd week (maybe even Top 100)? No.
                    Would have been shocking and unbelievable just a few months ago or last year? Absolutely.
                    It’s Katy Perry we’re talking about. Not some B-list artist.

No need then to act “Omg, it cannot be true!!” watching her 2nd week drops, but definitely no need to act like this is “the norm” or completely normal for her either.
                    No need to say “ok, the era is done, let’s close the topic and never talk about it again, let’s just talk about her past achievements”...
                    This is chart analysis and, as long as it’s not trolling, it’s normal that this tremendous fall for an artist that was that huge just a few years ago, is analyzed and talked about.
                    A few months ago Katy had released three songs in the US that failed to take off in any way after having had one single that performed well in May of 2019.
                    Daisies debuted at 40 and then dropped like a rock in week 2.

You are really telling me that from that, a few months ago, you would have expected her album to smash the charts ? Really ?

Comment

A few months ago Katy had released three songs in the US that failed to take off in any way after having had one single that performed well in May of 2019.

You are really telling me that from that, a few months ago, you would have expected her album to smash the charts ? Really ?
                      There's something in the middle of the road between "smashing" and staying two weeks on chart... you know.

And I said a few months ago or last year.
                      NRO was Top 15 and is on course to 2xPlatinum.

Were you expecting during NRO era that her next album will perform like this? Yeah, sure.

Not even during Small Talk or HIH I was expecting this... Yes, the singles were flopping, but then realeasing an album is a different story than stand alone singles...

If you're saying you were always expecting it to perform like this... I'm sorry but I don't believe you.

And, by the way, it's really funny that you're claiming now that Daisies "dropped like a rock in week 2".
                      There are dozens of posts where you were repeating how estable it was and the great chart run it was having and that you were happy about the performance of this "top 40 hit". Am I wrong?
                      We can go back and take a look at it...

Comment

But you were always bragging about how “Daisies” was a SOLO Top 40 hit and how great it’s chart-run of 6 weeks was (there are multiple of your posts on previous pages praising to heaven “Daisies” performance) and you also wouldn’t stop mentioning how NRO was “one of the biggest pop hits of the last two years” and how Katy was one of the few females that had two amazing Top 40 solo hit songs from the same album recently.

.... Did you change the narrative now after seeing the album’s performance?
                        Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyonc้ . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post

There's something in the middle of the road between "smashing" and staying two weeks on chart... you know.

And I said a few months ago or last year.
                          NRO was Top 15 and is on course to 2xPlatinum.

Were you expecting during NRO era that her next album will perform like this? Yeah, sure.

Not even during Small Talk or HIH I was expecting this... Yes, the singles were flopping, but then realeasing an album is a different story than stand alone singles...

If you're saying you were always expecting it to perform like this... I'm sorry but I don't believe you.
                          If she had released the album when NRO was doing well it obviously would have been completely different as the streaming and sales from NRO could have kept it somewhat afloat. However, once everything after that failed to make any impact at all, it was obvious that NRO was a once off and that there was not much interest in Katy herself, it was the song people liked.

The album was released over a year after NRO came out so apart from the pre release SPS it added to the album it is irrelevant in terms of its performance.

Judging on how Daisies performed, I had zero expectations for this album to do well.

If, after that, you say that you expected her album to sell well and have lonevity on charts, sorry but I don't believe you either.

A ticket bundle could possibly have made these numbers more respectable, but we will never know at this point.

Comment

• I'm with nympho here.
                            Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                            and everything you stand for?
                            Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                            just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

But you were always bragging about how “Daisies” was a SOLO Top 40 hit and how great it’s chart-run of 6 weeks was (there are multiple of your posts on previous pages praising to heaven “Daisies” performance) and you also wouldn’t stop mentioning how NRO was “one of the biggest pop hits of the last two years” and how Katy was one of the few females that had two amazing Top 40 solo hit songs from the same album recently.

.... Did you change the narrative now after seeing the album’s performance?
                              Actually I never claimed that the album was going to perform well based on those facts.

My predictions for the album have always been very modest from the start. You can also find that some pages back. I even said that I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped out of the top 200 in week two. You can see that also in black and white.

It was you who was accusing fans of playing "psychological games" when we were predicting 50k opening week. The fact is, we knew how this album was going to perform months ago. Because it was obvious.

And yes, Daisies was a solo top 40 hit.
                              NRO was a pretty big hit and did well, also solo.
                              Both included on this project.

The expecting flopping of the album does not change those facts in any way.

Also, Daisies stayed on the chart for 7 weeks total, not six, and did show some stability in the 70 to 80 range of the hot 100 for six weeks.

Last edited by InFamous; Sat September 12, 2020, 17:31.

Comment

• Backtracking and grasping for straws...
                                I have received many gifts from God,
                                but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• ^ I guess you are forgetful seeing as you called out a certain someone about his obvious agenda towards Katy Perry in this thread weeks ago, when he was making his "psychological games" accusation.

The fact remains that everyone who follows Katy Perry here predicted between 40k and 60k for this album on week one. Go back and check.
                                  The people who are now acting all shocked about its performance, predicted over 100k despite telling us for months that Katy was over and her career was dead and buried.

Comment

• ANYWAY

This project might be a commercial and critical disaster but it must’ve been a great era for her and her fans. I mean it basically lasted a year, she still released all those visuals and she did a lot of promo leading up to the album's release. And her fans seem to like the album a lot. Plus she said she doesn’t care about the charts anymore and that’s a pretty healthy attitude if it’s true. Also she had her first child so I doubt that her album's chart performance is important to her rn.
                                    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                                      ANYWAY

This project might be a commercial and critical disaster but it must’ve been a great era for her and her fans. I mean it basically lasted a year, she still released all those visuals and she did a lot of promo leading up to the album's release. And her fans seem to like the album a lot. Plus she said she doesn’t care about the charts anymore and that’s a pretty healthy attitude if it’s true. Also she had her first child so I doubt that her album's chart performance is important to her rn.
                                      Yes, we really enjoyed the era and love the album, despite its flopping. It is currently at 58 on Metacritic and the 2nd most discussed album of the year, behind Folklore.

I mostly enjoyed her acoustic renditions of the songs from Sirium FM recently, amazing.

"Music, not the bling"

Comment

^ I guess you are forgetful seeing as you called out a certain someone about his obvious agenda towards Katy Perry in this thread weeks ago, when he was making his "psychological games" accusation.

The fact remains that everyone who follows Katy Perry here predicted between 40k and 60k for this album on week one. Go back and check.
                                        The people who are now acting all shocked about its performance, predicted over 100k despite telling us for months that Katy was over and her career was dead and buried.
                                        I said what I said and what I said came true. But you are all over the place. Stay behind your opinion and admit you were wrong and don't pretend and change the narrative all the time. I'm not going into big discussion about what people previously wrote as I still think their perspective to things back then was wrong and it was easy to see Smile flopping. Just by using Witness opening week, its second week drop and the general decline of sales since then. Add the fact none of her singles did anything on the chart and the writings were on the wall for this one. It was pure math, nothing for or against Katy from me in album prediction matter. My approach back then and now is the same. That Fake Signature stan you mention is only half wrong - the difference and a better album performance during NRO would be for the sole reason that there would *probably* be a tour announced and there would be tour bundles. Which would give the album another 25k-30k in its opening week. But Katy has been struggling since Witness. All singles after Chained flopped and set the standard for her following singles. A flop was easily seen, it was just a matter of how hard this would flop. Not if.

Whatever has been said on this page is (mostly) true. Starting with you hilariously gushing about phenomenal solo 2 Top 40 hits and how it shows Katy still has it (and this has been going on for weeks now) to how erroneously you compare her now to pre-streaming, pre-digital artists as to excuse the album chart run. No, she is not in that category, she has songs with very good streaming. It's just that the mainstream is finally over with her crappy subpar music (thank God) and opt to stick with the songs they already know. The minute somebody shuts you down and proves you wrong you try to spin this differently - this mostly goes for the ridiculous comparisons to other female singer albums.
                                        Last edited by beredy; Sat September 12, 2020, 18:33.
                                        I have received many gifts from God,
                                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• ^ LOL at you thinking you have shut anything down. I never once claimed that this album would sell well or performe well on the charts.
                                          People were talking about being happy with Daisies performance, based on how her other songs before that completely flopped.
                                          Everything is relative and no one ever claimed that the album was going to sell well based on Daisies being a top 40 solo hit.

And someone's old songs having good streaming has NO relevance to how their new album is going to perform so that point is completely irrelevant.

And again, no one is trying to excuse anything, the album flopped, get over it LOL
                                          Last edited by InFamous; Sat September 12, 2020, 19:00.

Comment

• Album: Smile

iTunes:
                                            #15 France (+194)
                                            #29 Canada (+4)
                                            #32 Australia (-19)
                                            #47 Japan (+116)
                                            #53 Italy (NE)
                                            #61 Switzerland (-32)
                                            #99 United Kingdom (-26)
                                            #121 United States (+10)
                                            #122 Germany (+159)

Apple Music:
                                            #5 Brazil (=)
                                            #12 Turkey (-4)
                                            #14 Australia (-2)
                                            #14 Mexico (-3)
                                            #16 New Zealand (+2)
                                            #16 Spain (-2)
                                            #21 Thailand (-4)
                                            #24 Ireland (-2)
                                            #29 Italy (-3)
                                            #31 United Kingdom (-3)
                                            #31 Indonesia (+7)
                                            #37 Netherlands (-13)
                                            #38 Norway (-20)
                                            #44 Brazil (-13)
                                            #48 Mexico (+1)
                                            #49 Switzerland (-6)
                                            #50 Canada (-15)
                                            #51 Austria (-17)
                                            #53 Denmark (-9)
                                            #53 Germany (-7)
                                            #54 Japan (-2)
                                            #72 France (+2)
                                            #91 Belgium (-22)
                                            #93 Netherlands (-23)
                                            #117 India (-48)
                                            #126 South Africa (-7)
                                            #150 United States (-20)
                                            #165 United Kingdom (+39)
                                            #173 Spain (-14)
                                            #178 Indonesia (-29)
                                            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• The song " Smile" had a cute lil chartrun in the bottom regions of the Top 100 in the UK. It has been charting for four weeks after spending one week on the chart previously:

96, 87, 100, 73, 85.

Actually all six singles included on this project have managed to chart in the UK !!

Never Really over - 12
                                              Small Talk - 43
                                              Harleys in Hawaii - 45
                                              Never Worn White - 97
                                              Daisies - 37
                                              Smile - 73

Smile peaking at 73 adds to her career total of 32 UK top 75 hits, spending 548 weeks in the Top 75 total.

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                I don't think she can ever recover so i'd rather she keep doing what she does, releasing singles every few months.
                                                I predicted back in October that this era will be a big flop and she can't recover from this.
                                                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post

I predicted back in October that this era will be a big flop and she can't recover from this.
                                                  Wow you called it perfectly !!

Comment

• Originally posted by HarrisGaga View Post

Why do you feel the need to compare her with anyone? I don't get this obsession with comparing the sales or girl X to the sales of pop girl y or z. No one ever claimed that this album would sell on par with a Gaga or Taylor release in 2020. I mean Chromatica sold far less than Folklore. Who cares ? When did Katy ever match Taylors sales? What's the relevance?

This album has plummetted down the charts in Week 2 because it has 1, no sales, and 2, no streaming. Any popgirl, from whatever era, who finds themselves in that position , will also see similar drops in week 2. It's just simple logic.
                                                    Last edited by InFamous; Sat September 12, 2020, 22:02.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X