Katy Perry :: The "Smile" Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mokichi View Post
    Yes that RollingStone chart is BS, Idk why people giving it so much attention. I'm wondering if she can stay another week inside top 100 but it's going to be difficult with no single charting at all or sent to US radios, there is nothing to keep this album alive in the charts.

Witness fell at #13 on its 2nd week not #4.
    They should send something to US radio now. Cry about it Later or Tucked. Maybe the album can stay inside the top 100 for a third week who knows, but I expect a plummett. Katy is getting so much hate everywhere I am relieved for her that this was not a 5 - OUT ( of the top 100) situation because the haterz would have had a field day with that !!
    Last edited by InFamous; Tue September 15, 2020, 14:04.

Comment

• Billboard Top Album Sales
      10 3 -- 2 Smile - Katy Perry ( 3 ) Capitol

Just proves a solid fan base buying the album is not enough. You must have some sort of streaming hit/power.

Which is sad in her case, because she actually used to be a single artist, more than an album artist.
      B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!

Im staying right here.

Comment

• Do not expect any more singles from this project, Capitol stopped funding and promotion and unless Katy wants to waste her hard earned money on a flop single.
        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikerocha View Post
          Billboard Top Album Sales
          10 3 -- 2 Smile - Katy Perry ( 3 ) Capitol

Just proves a solid fan base buying the album is not enough. You must have some sort of streaming hit/power.

Which is sad in her case, because she actually used to be a single artist, more than an album artist.
          Yep, happening to literally every female in the business 10-15+ years into their careers. Unfortunately the "solid fan base" buying albums is very small these days. Not even releasing albums in multiple formats, colours, and exclusive editions can guarantee much impact on the charts. And even if it does, then the second week drops only shoewcase their diminishing streaming power. Streaming may have saved KP's album from dropping even lower, actually. That's something older female artists like Madonna, Mariah, or Celine truly lack, hence why their albums plummet down the charts do hard after the first week.
          A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else. - Bette Davis

Comment

• The big drop was mostly due to Billboard 200's messed up methodology, as expected unfortunatey. As I said before, the drops in other countries have not been as extreme due to different general consumers' habits and chart methodologies. It would really help if the Billboard 200 got a new methodology, e.g. only going by the album track with the lowest streaming points or reducing the two biggest songs' streaming points.
            Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
            and everything you stand for?
            Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
            just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
              The big drop was mostly due to Billboard 200's messed up methodology, as expected unfortunatey. As I said before, the drops in other countries have not been as extreme due to different general consumers' habits and chart methodologies. It would really help if the Billboard 200 got a new methodology, e.g. only going by the album track with the lowest streaming points or reducing the two biggest songs' streaming points.
              Not so true since it had big drop in almost every country! For example
              France: 17 - 61
              Italy: 10 - 60
              Netherlands: 13 - 89
              Slovakia: 28 - 73
              Lithuania: 24 - 60
              Germany: 14- 45
              Norway: 25 - OUT and the list goes on

Comment

• CANADA
                52 (5) 2 Smile

It was in Canada where Witness fell 1-4 on 2nd week (not US as I posted before).

Billboard system is not to blame. The terrible drops happened basically in every country.

Regarding the “it’s #10 in sales so it’s not fair where it’s charting on the main chart...”
                It has sold around 3.5k pure sales this week.
                If anyone thinks 3.5k is representative of a Top 10 in a country with 325 million people, or where Platinum is 1 million copies...
                I’m old school and still buying hundreds of CDs so it’s sad to me to watch the terrible sales and I will always defend sales over streaming points... But we have to be realistic... It’s like defending someone being top 10 on physical singles chart when downloads exploded.
                That’s not how people consumes music.
                So it cannot be an excuse to say the system has to change.

Comment

The big drop was mostly due to Billboard 200's messed up methodology, as expected unfortunatey. As I said before, the drops in other countries have not been as extreme due to different general consumers' habits and chart methodologies. It would really help if the Billboard 200 got a new methodology, e.g. only going by the album track with the lowest streaming points or reducing the two biggest songs' streaming points.
                  This statement is too generalized. In plenty of countries it has disappeared from the chart completely in week 2 and had big drops, in fact bigger than in the US.
                  Last edited by InFamous; Tue September 15, 2020, 18:24.

Comment

If they did that this week Katy would probably be even lower on the chart LOL

Comment

• I don't think the system has to change to be honest. sales are minimal these days. I just think if she had a hit on this album it would still be top 20 this week. That's all.

The fact she doesn't have a hit, her streaming equivalent sales are non existent.
                      B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!

Im staying right here.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebigham View Post

Smile was not a single in the USA.

Originally posted by Mokichi View Post
                        wondering if she can stay another week inside top 100 but it's going to be difficult with no single charting at all or sent to US radios

By the way I’ve read a few times here that Smile is not a single in US or that she has no songs in US radio...

This week’s charts:

Adult Contemporary Songs
                        20 (19) 17 Daisies
                        26 (27) 4 Smile

Adult Pop Songs
                        35 (31) 18 Daisies

AC radios are playing Smile and still playing Daisies, which is still charting as well, after 4 months.

I know it’s not having a huge airplay as Pop radio is not playing her, but she does have songs on radio.

Comment

• Smile has 646,401,231 Streams on Spotify WW
                          Never Really Over 422,676,209
                          Daisies 83,735,613
                          Harleys In Hawaii 81,283,337
                          Smile 26,103,931
                          Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

Comment

• ^^Yes, but Daisies is over. It hasn't had a bullet at Adult Pop (Hot AC) since July 23rd!

I have no idea what is going on with Smile. I don't think it had an adds date.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikerocha View Post
                              I don't think the system has to change to be honest. sales are minimal these days. I just think if she had a hit on this album it would still be top 20 this week. That's all.

The fact she doesn't have a hit, her streaming equivalent sales are non existent.
                              100 percent true. On release week when she was at number five or something on the global artists chart she only had something like 17 points from both spotify and youtube. I posted it somewhere here at the time.
                              ( Gaga and Dua would have about 360 points or so from those platforms)

Comment

• Originally posted by HarrisGaga View Post
                                Not so true since it had big drop in almost every country! For example
                                France: 17 - 61
                                Italy: 10 - 60
                                Netherlands: 13 - 89
                                Slovakia: 28 - 73
                                Lithuania: 24 - 60
                                Germany: 14- 45
                                Norway: 25 - OUT and the list goes on
                                Yes and no. Out of those countries, I'd say that the ones standing out in a negative way are the Netherlands and Italy. Norway has got a top 40 chart, so it would have surprised me if the drop had been small enough to chart for a 2nd week.
                                The lower the opening, the bigger the drop is supposed to be as sales are closer to each other in the lower chart regions. When you debut high and have a big positional drop, it's mostly related to a big sales drop. I'm sure the sales drop in France, Slovakia, Lithuania, Germany and Norway has been somewhere in the -50% to -70% area, which is nothing we could complain about. Same for Oceania and the UK/Ireland.
                                Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                                and everything you stand for?
                                Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                                just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• I'm with HarrisGaga here.

Comment

• Swiss Album Charts

26 (8) 2 Smile

Surely one of the best second week updates so far

Comment

• JAPAN Oricon Combined Albums
                                      Out (43) 2 Smile

Billboard Japan Hot Albums
                                      69 (43) 3 Smile

Comment

• German Midweek Charts

71 (44) Smile

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Great to see this staying in the top 10 in Australia
                                          She may have more #1 singles in the US, Canada and NZ, but during her peak Australia was the country where she was a big album seller, probably one of the few countries where she was a big album seller. Probably because of that, the poor performance of the album is less "striking".
                                          I think performance in the US was expected and especially the first week, if there was no a concert ticket bundle Witness would have been likely around 80K units in its first week, so 50K for Smile is expected.

Comment

• In spotify, Cry About It Later is 10m streams, the most streamed album track

the least streamed is Resilient with 2.432.000 streams
                                            Last edited by PopFan; Wed September 16, 2020, 16:38.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                              Swiss Album Charts

26 (8) 2 Smile

Surely one of the best second week updates so far
                                              Australia is the best so far, then I think UK at 25 and now Switzerland at 26

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Australia is the best so far, then I think UK at 25 and now Switzerland at 26
                                                26 in Spain as well.

Comment

• AUSTRIA
                                                  26 (8) 2 Smile

Same chart run as in Switzerland.

Comment

• Oh, didn't expect that in Austria. Good that there are at least some good-ish second week drops in Europe.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X