Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lil Nas X :: The "7" Era

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    OSD isn’t that well remembered now but it was huge at the time. We’ll probably being saying the same thing about Lil Onika X three years from now. At least Kween has plenty of other career records to fall back on record or no record, Lil Onika has Instagram followers?

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
      Stop discrediting Lil Nas' amazing run just because of one remix. Mariah's song was a duet so it also got help.



      I quite agree, OSD has like 57million streams on Spotify which is very disappointing for a 16 weeks #1 hit / US song of the decade title, quite forgotten if you'd ask me.

      This is indeed a viral phenomenom.
      the song actually has 60,848,395 streams on Spotify and 171,5 million video views (2009-2019). OSD is among Mariah's 10 most streamed songs (#9). It gains over half a million streams per week on Spotify (her 7th biggest gainer). On Youtube it is her 4th fastest gaining video with 90k per day.

      The thing is... these stats alone are pointless bc Mariah is not a streaming artist. Words like the song is forgotten in terms of streaming means that none of her songs are remembered. Unless you compare statistics by non-streaming era artists... then the difference becomes much clearer. UNLESS again you come to the same conclusion that besides having 1 or 2 decently streamed hits, no non-streaming-era act has remembered hits, which would then also include almost EVERYONE above 40.

      weekly Spotify gains of some of her songs if you think that 500k per week is proof of it being forgotten:

      1,500,000 - 2005 - WBT
      850,000 - 1996 - ABMB
      800,000 - 1993 - Hero
      700,000 - 2003 - I know what you want
      520,000 - 1994 - Without You
      505,000 - 1995 - Fantasy
      500,000 - 1995 - OSD
      465,000 - 2008 - TMB
      420,000 - 1998 - When You Believe
      340,000 - 2009 - Obsessed

      She currently has 12 songs above 50 million streams on the platform.
      Last edited by stevyy; Mon July 22, 2019, 01:18.
      My Chart

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
        OSD isn’t that well remembered now but it was huge at the time. We’ll probably being saying the same thing about Lil Onika X three years from now. At least Kween has plenty of other career records to fall back on record or no record, Lil Onika has Instagram followers?
        Well, Lil Nas deserves his credit for this huge success and we don't know about the future, but it's true comparing a hit in no streaming era with OTR is unfair. Ironic by Alanis is 120M views and it was still is a big song. I mean staying 16 weeks at #1 is an achievement no matter when.
        But OSD isn't Mariah's signature song, Hero, AIWFC, WBT and I would say Without you/fantasy maybe are. So it's great (wbt was 14 weeks at #1)

        Comment


        • #79
          His record is valid. the song is iconic
          Forever Young

          Comment


          • #80




            ‪The locals have officially lost it‬
            Last edited by JeremySpears; Mon July 22, 2019, 16:38.
            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

            Comment


            • #81

              Comment


              • #82
                Congrats!

                (And it‘s better than Despacito IMO so there‘s that)

                I‘d be ok if it won‘t break the record though.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Congrats! a hit is a hit!

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Loveguru View Post
                    His record is valid. the song is iconic
                    Of course it is, but some people tried to diminish Mariah's achievements and they forgot how hard was getting a #1 for 16wks in 1996 and how big she and Boyz II men were in that moment. But Lil Nas song is a great one and it's a worldwide hit

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      I'm overwhelmed by the support Lil Nas X is getting from his team in terms of promoting 'Old Town Road' considering that it's his debut single and not even Lady Gaga, Adele or Taylor Swift had that at the peak of their career. They really seem to believe in him and it, additionally, looks like every promo step eventually pays off. Finally, Lil Nas X appears to be a person easy to hang out with judging by the amount of established acts wanting to collaborate with him. The pressure on single No. 2 will be extreme - Will it be a Katy Perry- (two big hits in a row), a PSY- (big hit, then small hit) or a Gotye-esque scenario (big hit, silence)?
                      Pro: freedom of speech
                      Contra: cancel culture

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        ^ his second single Panini already peaked at #16. plus Rodeo also peaked at #22. So he already has two other songs with an okay peak at least.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          [MENTION=32120]Tansike[/MENTION]: You don't see both songs reaching higher peaks? After all, 'Old Town Road' is still at No. 1 and therefore charting higher than both of them. It does happen, but it's rather rare that a subsequent single peaks when an earlier (e.g. lead) single is still actively charting higher.
                          Pro: freedom of speech
                          Contra: cancel culture

                          Comment


                          • #88


                            Last edited by JeremySpears; Tue July 23, 2019, 13:35.
                            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              7/27/19 Billboard 200

                              https://www.billboard.com/biz/articl...ard-200-albums

                              Ed Sheeran's 'No. 6 Collaborations Project' Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart
                              By Keith Caulfield | July 21, 2019

                              Lil Nas X’s 7 is steady at No. 4 with 50,000 units (up 3%).

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=3...-BILLIE-BATTLE

                                Tuesday, July 23, 2019

                                TOP 20: THE BEY-BILLIE BATTLE

                                1. Ed Sheeran (Atlantic) 70-75k total activity, 16-19k album
                                2. *Beyoncé (Parkwood/Columbia) 49-54k, 11-13k
                                3. Billie Eilish (Darkroom/Interscope) 48-53k, 9-11k
                                4. Lil Nas X (Columbia) 45-50k, <1k
                                5. Dreamville & J. Cole (Dreamville/Roc Nation/Interscope) 40-45k, <1k
                                6. Chris Brown (RCA) 35-40k, 1-3k
                                7. Lizzo (Atlantic) 30-35k, 3-5k
                                8. Khalid (Right Hand Music/RCA) 28-32k, 2-3k
                                9. Post Malone (Republic) 23-26k, 1-2k
                                10. *Nas (Mass Appeal/Def Jam) 21-24k, 9-11k

                                *DEBUTS

                                Comment


                                • #91
                                  Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                  I'm overwhelmed by the support Lil Nas X is getting from his team in terms of promoting 'Old Town Road' considering that it's his debut single and not even Lady Gaga, Adele or Taylor Swift had that at the peak of their career. They really seem to believe in him and it, additionally, looks like every promo step eventually pays off. Finally, Lil Nas X appears to be a person easy to hang out with judging by the amount of established acts wanting to collaborate with him. The pressure on single No. 2 will be extreme - Will it be a Katy Perry- (two big hits in a row), a PSY- (big hit, then small hit) or a Gotye-esque scenario (big hit, silence)?
                                  Well, Gotye is out of the picture since he had a big hit but he is not an actual pop star with a label that wants him to release hit after hit.

                                  Comment


                                  • #92
                                    Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post


                                    I think once OTR dies down, he’ll be done.

                                    He’s literally a one-trick pony.

                                    Comment


                                    • #93


                                      Last edited by JeremySpears; Wed July 24, 2019, 19:58.
                                      Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

                                      Comment


                                      • #94
                                        The more Mariah fans cry with her records being broken, the more it seems that all she has in her legacy are Billboard achievements. Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley records have been broken here and there but their songs are still remembered today. A real icon doesn't need the validation of chart statistics to justify their relevance.

                                        Comment


                                        • #95
                                          Originally posted by GetBack View Post
                                          The more Mariah fans cry with her records being broken, the more it seems that all she has in her legacy are Billboard achievements. Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley records have been broken here and there but their songs are still remembered today. A real icon doesn't need the validation of chart statistics to justify their relevance.
                                          Not all the fans are crying and dude Mariah has Hero, All I want for xmas (hello?), Always be my baby etc Mariah isn't crying at all, indeed she's ok with this.
                                          Her billboard achievements are part of her, but don't discredit her for good

                                          Comment


                                          • #96
                                            I also think he'll remain a one hit wonder.
                                            Cha Cha Instructor

                                            Comment


                                            • #97
                                              Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                              I also think he'll remain a one hit wonder.
                                              Panini already hit Top 20 though
                                              aRat's NUDES LEAKED

                                              Comment


                                              • #98
                                                records are meant to be Broken though some seem as though they never will be which 16 weeks at #1 on The Hot 100 Chart seemed like it never would be just like N'sync's 2.42 million first week for No Strings Attached seemed unbreakable until Adele's 25 obliterated it nearly 16 years later the only difference with One Sweet Day is it debuted at #1 where old town road debuted at #83 on March 16th dated Hot 100 Chart
                                                "the love of a mothers life is her child/children"

                                                Comment


                                                • #99
                                                  Someday, there will also be a single debuting at No. 1 and staying there longer. Just as you say, records are meant to be broken...
                                                  Pro: freedom of speech
                                                  Contra: cancel culture

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                                    Someday, there will also be a single debuting at No. 1 and staying there longer. Just as you say, records are meant to be broken...
                                                    And hopefully it‘ll be a good one then
                                                    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X