Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Céline Dion - The "Courage" Era

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by stevyy View Post
    This is not normal. Any of these drops show that there is something wrong with the charts and how they are compiled. She might as well still be top 30 on sales... It's so dumb.
    I agree with you. And when they say "in history"... it should be mentioned that it's "in history since streaming is included in the chart." So that's a short history.

    Comment


    • The BB200 is not really that important for anyone who loves to follow artists with a legacy.

      I'm curious for the BB Sales Chart. She will have sold something like 5-7k in week 2 I assume.

      Just for comparison... Caution sold around 4,5k per week after leaving the entire Top 200. Céline is still in there in week 2. She might drop out entitely in week 3. I assume Courage will shift 4-5k in the coming weeks as well. I'm still hoping for 200k in total consumption sales in 2019.
      My Chart

      Comment


      • Originally posted by IDreamed View Post
        UK Midweek Chart.

        Courage #14
        Good.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by LostAvenger View Post


          Record breaking album!

          According to Rolling Stone's album chart:

          115 (01) Courage [7.8K units, 5K pure album sales, 2.9K song sales, 1.9M streams]
          Congrats!
          Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

          Comment


          • Well, the number was artificially inflated to begin with because of bundles so I kind of anticipated a drop like this - gutted she’s scored the record though.

            What a blemish on her otherwise spotless career!

            Comment


            • It's always sad if big artists like Celine Dion or Madonna get those bad luck records. It is what it is, I guess... I guess Celine Dion's priority are the French-speaking countries anyway and the album is, fortunately, not experiencing huge drops there .
              Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
              and everything you stand for?
              Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
              just to tell you that I see more?

              Comment


              • Czech Rep.

                44 (11) 02 Courage

                Slovakia

                60 (53) 02 Courage
                Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                  Congrats!
                  Congrats? For What?
                  Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

                  Comment


                  • It's doing well in the UK, France, and Canada. And no promotion.
                    Imagine if she had done a few TV appearances there!
                    Last edited by Musica; Mon December 2, 2019, 22:46.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                      Congrats!

                      troll alert?

                      Comment


                      • Courage not debuted on the Top20 Argentina Album Charts.
                        Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by IDreamed View Post
                          UK Midweek Chart.

                          Courage #14
                          Very Nice.
                          Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

                          Comment


                          • Album: Courage

                            iTunes:

                            #3 Poland (+4)
                            #14 Canada (-2)
                            #24 France (+9)
                            #24 Ireland (+2)
                            #31 Australia (+19)
                            #33 Switzerland (+24)
                            #41 Belgium (-16)
                            #51 United Kingdom (+4)
                            #57 United States (-1)
                            #73 France (+64)
                            #82 Germany (-2)
                            #114 Italy (+37)
                            Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

                            Comment


                            • South Africa:

                              10 NE Courage

                              Comment


                              • 5k pure sales??? Jesus. That means that pure sales must have been 30k maximum without ticket bundles.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                  ^Because she's heavily reliant on physical sales (which are non existent these days and bundles only mask that in week one). She doesn't have streaming numbers to sustain her on the charts and nearly all charts implement streaming nowadays. It's pretty much the same story as nearly all pre-streaming boom artists, especially for divas that have been here for decades. Their back catalogue might have some nice numbers, but their new material just doesn't set the streaming on fire.

                                  Realistically high peaks the first week and a fast dropout from the charts was what everyone should have expected. No different to latest releases from other divas.
                                  Bundles dont count except in the US.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Washingtonian25 View Post
                                    5k pure sales??? Jesus. That means that pure sales must have been 30k maximum without ticket bundles.
                                    It doesn't really matter what the breakdown is though. All the older artists are doing that bundle thing now because they have to. They just cannot compete any other way in the streaming era. All they can do is release an album and go out on tour. The charts are ruled by streaming, Celine has almost no streaming power so this was always going to happen in week 2. The album still went to no 1 and sold over 250k worldwide and is holding steady in other places where streams are weighted and things are less skewed. BB really need to look again at their formula.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                      Bundles dont count except in the US.
                                      And Canada.

                                      Comment


                                      • While I agree with most of the reasons (won’t say excuses) of the album’s chart performance -No promo, lots of new Q4 releases, bundle artificially inflated US 1st week sales, streaming makes it harder for veteran acts, etc- it’s obvious the interest and hype for this new album is simply not there.

                                        Although pure sales have decreased a lot, selling just 5k copies in US on 2nd week is bad.

                                        Don’t know... her tour has lots of dates the following months so still many copies can be redeemed in US so it might have some random re-entries next year and maybe reach 200k.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by nympho View Post
                                          While I agree with most of the reasons (won’t say excuses) of the album’s chart performance -No promo, lots of new Q4 releases, bundle artificially inflated US 1st week sales, streaming makes it harder for veteran acts, etc- it’s obvious the interest and hype for this new album is simply not there.

                                          Although pure sales have decreased a lot, selling just 5k copies in US on 2nd week is bad.

                                          Don’t know... her tour has lots of dates the following months so still many copies can be redeemed in US so it might have some random re-entries next year and maybe reach 200k.
                                          I think that’s been the case for the US for many years now, her new music has just failed to ignite interest - even in her core fan base.

                                          I find it remarkable, if not staggering, that a woman can sell 700,000+ tickets to a new tour (which granted, has very little new music in it - but the tour is named after the album), yet struggle to clear 5,000 copies in the second week...it speaks volumes about her new music.

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                            Bundles dont count except in the US.
                                            I'm well aware of that, thank you. My reply was to a person trying to connect ticket sales to album sales, which are only connected through bundles hence why I mentioned bundles which are one week tricks (in countries they count). The rest of the post was general - low physical sales overall, low streaming for older artists new material = no stability in today charts, fast drops.

                                            Originally posted by nympho View Post
                                            And Canada.
                                            Technically UK charts also acknowledge ticket+album bundle as a possibility, but their rules are different than BB's, which is why I think nobody bothers with tour+ticket bundles there.
                                            I have received many gifts from God,
                                            but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                                            .

                                            Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                              I'm well aware of that, thank you. My reply was to a person trying to connect ticket sales to album sales, which are only connected through bundles hence why I mentioned bundles which are one week tricks (in countries they count). The rest of the post was general - low physical sales overall, low streaming for older artists new material = no stability in today charts, fast drops.


                                              Technically UK charts also acknowledge ticket+album bundle as a possibility, but their rules are different than BB's, which is why I think nobody bothers with tour+ticket bundles there.
                                              That person was talking about the performance of courage in Australia where bundles aren't a factor.

                                              In the UK you get an option to buy the album but both things are separate purchases so it's not really a bundle at all. Even though they do use the term but it's more of an add on than a bundle.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by Washingtonian25 View Post
                                                5k pure sales??? Jesus. That means that pure sales must have been 30k maximum without ticket bundles.
                                                Not necessarily. Because her fan base buys the album on week 1 and that's it. I would say probably around 65-70k without the ticket bundle in week 1. Some of the acts on the Billboard Top 10 didn't even sell 5k in pure sales this week. Their numbers come mainly from streaming - which Celine can't rely on. That chart is wacky!
                                                Last edited by Musica; Tue December 3, 2019, 13:23.

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                                  It doesn't really matter what the breakdown is though. All the older artists are doing that bundle thing now because they have to. They just cannot compete any other way in the streaming era. All they can do is release an album and go out on tour. The charts are ruled by streaming, Celine has almost no streaming power so this was always going to happen in week 2. The album still went to no 1 and sold over 250k worldwide and is holding steady in other places where streams are weighted and things are less skewed. BB really need to look again at their formula.
                                                  I want to wait for the result. This does not make sense. If so, they really need to check their formula.,

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Japan

                                                    Oricon Physical Albums
                                                    49 (243) Courage (1,397/1,861)

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X