Whitney Houston :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post

Michael has impressive views overall. "Thriller" is at 855 million. The others don’t come close though. Mariah's most viewed video has 641 million views, Madonna's has 357 million, Celine's has 211 million, Janet's has 115 million, Prince's has 50 million. Very impressive achievement.
    It's Billie Jean, not Thriller actually. And Cyndi Lauper's Girls is very close as well. Only 5 million views separate them. Now let the race for the second 1B song of the 20th century by a solo artist begin!

Comment

• Originally posted by nemospence View Post

It's Billie Jean, not Thriller actually. And Cyndi Lauper's Girls is very close as well. Only 5 million views separate them. Now let the race for the second 1B song of the 20th century by a solo artist begin!

From Vanity,

Whitney Houston’s ‘I Will Always Love You’ Tops 1 Billion Views on YouTube

Song becomes only fourth from the '90s to reach milestone

By Todd Spangler

0 AP
      Whitney Houston’s Grammy-winning smash “I Will Always Love You” is the fourth song from the ’90s — and the first solo track from the decade — to join YouTube’s billion-views club.

Originally written and recorded by Dolly Parton in 1973, the song was recorded and released by Houston in 1992. The Houston version of “I Will Always Love You” topped the charts in the early part of that decade after it was featured in “The Bodyguard,” in which Houston co-starred with Kevin Costner. Houston’s rendition spent 14 weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and is one of the bestselling singles of all time.

The Houston power ballad joins three other ‘90s favorites on YouTube’s billion-plus views list: Guns N’ Roses’ “November Rain,” Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and the Cranberries’ “Zombie.”

In 2020, Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” has averaged over 350,000 views per day. The official YouTube channel for the singer, who died in 2012, currently has 5.33 million subscribers.

Meanwhile, Houston’s 1987 hit “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” returned to the YouTube Top Songs chart this year in countries including the U.K., Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and Ireland. Kygo’s reworking of Houston classic “Higher Love” in 2019 reached the YouTube Top Songs charts in over 30 markets globally.

Here’s the current list of the most-viewed songs from the ’90s, with 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up” nearing the billion-views mark:

1. Guns N’ Roses – November Rain: 1.45B views

2. Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Spirit: 1.14B views

3. The Cranberries – Zombie: 1.05B views

4. Whitney Houston – I Will Always Love You: 1B views

5. 4 Non Blondes – What’s Up: 925M views

Comment

• I'm a fan of The Cranberries. Dolores O'Riordan and Whitney were such amazing talents.

Comment

• All those articles didn’t get it right. What Whitney accomplished was not only about the 90s, it was about being the first song by a solo artist to reach 1 billion that was released any time before the 2000s meaning the 90s 80s 70s 60s 50s etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by wboxoffice View Post
            All those articles didn’t get it right. What Whitney accomplished was not only about the 90s, it was about being the first song by a solo artist to reach 1 billion that was released any time before the 2000s meaning the 90s 80s 70s 60s 50s etc.
            I did not realize that. This is really impressive. Particularly considering that there were so many hits in those era.

Comment

• Whitney has been certified Diamond.

Whitney Houston

Comment

• Whitney Houston makes history with 3rd diamond album

NEW YORK (AP) — The late Whitney Houston has earned her third diamond-certified album, becoming the first Black artist to achieve the feat.

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and Legacy Recordings announced Wednesday that Houston's 1987 sophomore album, "Whitney," has reached diamond status, which is equivalent to selling 10 million albums. Her self-titled 1985 debut album and 1992's "The Bodyguard" soundtrack were already diamond successes, selling 13 million and 18 million units, respectively.

"Whitney" featured four songs that topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart: the Grammy-winning "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)," "Didn't We Almost Have It All," "So Emotional" and "Where Do Broken Hearts Go." The single "Love Will Save the Day" peaked at No. 9 on the chart.

Garth Brooks holds the record for most diamond-certified albums, with nine. Others with three or more albums that have reached diamond status include The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Shania Twain and the Eagles.

The RIAA awards diamond plaques to albums and singles that reach 10 times platinum status. That once was the equivalent of selling 10 million songs or albums, but has changed since 2016, when the RIAA began incorporating streaming from YouTube, Spotify and other digital music services.

Wednesday's announcement comes a week before Houston, who died in 2012, will be posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 2020 class. The ceremony will air on HBO on Nov. 7 at 8 p.m. ET.
                See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
                See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• CONGRATULATIONS to the album WHITNEY on being certified DIAMOND!!!

Comment

• It's about time, finally Still hoping Madonna’s True Blue & Mariah's debut gets there too.

Comment

• ^I think TB is eligible because of strong streaming and video views of La Isla Bonita and the other singles. It also was certified in 1995.

MC I am not sure of. It was certified in 1999 and album sales collapsed after. It doesn't have high digital certs for the singles off of MC.

Whitney has:

IWDWSHLM: 3xP
                      Didn't We Almost: Gold
                      Where Do Broken: Gold

That's 400k in album sales.

Comment

• WOW! Congrats
                        Britney Spears Janet Jackson Christina Aguilera Michael Jackson Selena Gomez Hilary Duff Taylor Swift Justin Timberlake

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS to the album WHITNEY on being certified DIAMOND!!!

Whitney Houston - With Love, The Fans: A Tribute to "The Voice"
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptMyuiaZkh4

The 3 Diamonds record achievement is also called out in this Rock & Hall of Fame video.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nippian93 View Post
                            Whitney has been certified Diamond.
                            ​​​​​​Congratulations Whitney! Third Diamond Album has been accomplished!!!!

"I wanna dance with somebody. With somebody who loves me."

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS to the album WHITNEY on being certified DIAMOND!!!
                              ​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                Whitney Houston makes history with 3rd diamond album

Shouldn't Michael Jackson have 3 Diamond records?

Comment

• ^Dangerous, Off The Wall and History are all 8xP. A ways away from 10xP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nippian93 View Post
                                    Whitney has been certified Diamond.
                                    That's great! It's my favorite album of hers
                                    do we know the current streams for the album's songs?

Comment

• RIAA.com:

WHITNEY HOUSTON
                                      Title: WHITNEY
                                      Certification Date: October 28, 2020
                                      Label: ARISTA
                                      Format: ALBUM
                                      10xP

Comment

• Originally posted by thebigham View Post
                                        RIAA.com:

WHITNEY HOUSTON
                                        Title: WHITNEY
                                        Certification Date: October 28, 2020
                                        Label: ARISTA
                                        Format: ALBUM
                                        10xP
                                        The first album by a female to debut at #1 on the Billboard 200 is now a DIAMOND-CERTIFIED ALBUM...I wanna dance with somebody right now!

Comment

• Amazing success for Whitney!

Comment

• Whitney Houston RIAA

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?...search_section

Title Highest Award Certification Date Category Format Genre

THE BODYGUARD (SOUNDTRACK) 18X Multi-Platinum November 17, 2017 SOLO ALBUM None

WHITNEY HOUSTON 13X Multi-Platinum July 29, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None

WHITNEY 10X Multi-Platinum October 28, 2020 SOLO ALBUM None

WHITNEY: THE GREATEST HITS 5X Multi-Platinum June 21, 2012 SOLO ALBUM None

I'M YOUR BABY TONIGHT 4X Multi-Platinum April 5, 1995 SOLO ALBUM None
                                            MY LOVE IS YOUR LOVE 4X Multi-Platinum May 15, 2000 SOLO ALBUM None

PREACHER'S WIFE (SOUNDTRACK) 3X Multi-Platinum June 30, 1998 SOLO ALBUM None

JUST WHITNEY Platinum January 10, 2003 SOLO ALBUM None
                                            I LOOK TO YOU Platinum December 1, 2009 SOLO ALBUM None

I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU: THE BEST OF WHITNEY HOUSTON Gold March 3, 2020 SOLO ALBUM
                                            ONE WISH Gold January 11, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None

Total: 60xP

Comment

Whitney Houston RIAA

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?...search_section

Title Highest Award Certification Date Category Format Genre

THE BODYGUARD (SOUNDTRACK) 18X Multi-Platinum November 17, 2017 SOLO ALBUM None

WHITNEY HOUSTON 13X Multi-Platinum July 29, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None

WHITNEY 10X Multi-Platinum October 28, 2020 SOLO ALBUM None

WHITNEY: THE GREATEST HITS 5X Multi-Platinum June 21, 2012 SOLO ALBUM None

I'M YOUR BABY TONIGHT 4X Multi-Platinum April 5, 1995 SOLO ALBUM None
                                              MY LOVE IS YOUR LOVE 4X Multi-Platinum May 15, 2000 SOLO ALBUM None

PREACHER'S WIFE (SOUNDTRACK) 3X Multi-Platinum June 30, 1998 SOLO ALBUM None

JUST WHITNEY Platinum January 10, 2003 SOLO ALBUM None
                                              I LOOK TO YOU Platinum December 1, 2009 SOLO ALBUM None

I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU: THE BEST OF WHITNEY HOUSTON Gold March 3, 2020 SOLO ALBUM
                                              ONE WISH Gold January 11, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None

Total: 60xP
                                              That puts Whitney in the 60's Club among women.

RIAA ALBUMS CERTIFICATION (in millions)

Barbra Streisand - 68.5

Madonna
                                              Mariah Carey - 64.5

Whitney-60

Comment

• Originally posted by nemospence View Post

That puts Whitney in the 60's Club among women.

RIAA ALBUMS CERTIFICATION (in millions)

Barbra Streisand - 68.5

Madonna
                                                Mariah Carey - 64.5

Whitney-60

Good call!!!

Comment

• ^Babs is at 72.5xP. A duet album with Kris Kristofferson (A Star Is Born!) is not counted in her total.

Comment

^Babs is at 72.5xP. A duet album with Kris Kristofferson (A Star Is Born!) is not counted in her total.
                                                    So we should upgrade Babs at 72.5 then!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X