• Show
Clear All

Whitney Houston on the Hot 100:

1. Hold Me #46
    2. You Give Good Love #3
    3. Saving All My Love For You #1(1)
    4. How Will I Know #1(2)
    5. Greatest Love Of All #1(3)
    6. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Love Me) #1(2)
    7. Didn't We Almost Have It All #1(2)
    8. So Emotional #1(1)
    9. Where Do Broken Hearts Go #1(2)
    10. Love Will Save The Day #9
    11. One Moment In Time #5
    12. It Isn't It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be #41
    13. I'm Your Baby Tonight #1(1)
    14. All The Man That I Need #1(2)
    15. The Star Spangled Banner #20 (#6 in 2001)
    16. Miracle #9
    17. My Name Is Not Susan #20
    18. I Will Always Love You #1(14)
    19. I'm Every Woman #4
    20. I Have Nothing #4
    21. Run To You #31
    22. Exhale (Shoop Shoop) #1(1)
    23. Count On Me #8
    24. Why Does It Hurt So Bad #26
    25. I Believe In You And Me #4
    26. Step By Step #15
    27. My Heart Is Calling #77
    28. When You Believe #15
    29. Heartbreak Hotel #2
    30. It's Not Right But It's Okay #4
    31. My Love Is Your Love #4
    32. I Learned From The Best #27
    33. Same Script, Different Cast #70
    34. Could I Have This Kiss Forever #52
    35. Whatchulookinat #96
    36. One Of Those Days #72
    37. Try It On My Own #84

Whitney has 29 Top 40 hits.

Comment

How many copies sold her ultimate collection?

Per country?

Comment

If you want to count the 2001 post-9/11 reissue of The Star Spangled Banner, then Whitney had 30 top 40 hits in the states.

Comment

^No, I don't. It was a re-entry on the Hot 100. Not a new version...

Comment

Does anybody know why the album "My Love Is Your Love" had so bad positions in the charts?

In the U.S. debuted at #13 and then fell off the charts.
            In the UK debuted at #27 and months after managed to reach #4.
            Really, really awful positions.... :-?
            BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & BARBRA STREISAND celebrating their 9th #1 albums this year. Still making history...

Comment

Originally posted by carlos06
              Does anybody know why the album "My Love Is Your Love" had so bad positions in the charts?

In the U.S. debuted at #13 and then fell off the charts.
              In the UK debuted at #27 and months after managed to reach #4.
              Really, really awful positions.... :-?
              it did debut low but lingered long in the US charts selling around 2.8M in soundscan and was certified 4x plat. i think this is the era when whitney was quoted..."it is not how you start, but it is how you finish." pertaining to the chart success of My Love is Your Love.

Comment

OK. But that debut was really, really low... Why? Bad promotion? It was released the same week as Mariah's "#1's", and that album, even being a compilation album (compilations' sales in the U.S. are always low...) debuted at #4... #13 is really, really low, specially for a legend like Whitney. It was also her first studio album in 8 years, so... :-?
                BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & BARBRA STREISAND celebrating their 9th #1 albums this year. Still making history...

Comment

Originally posted by carlos06
                  OK. But that debut was really, really low... Why? Bad promotion? It was released the same week as Mariah's "#1's", and that album, even being a compilation album (compilations' sales in the U.S. are always low...) debuted at #4... #13 is really, really low, specially for a legend like Whitney. It was also her first studio album in 8 years, so... :-?
                  Because it was released with a flop lead single - When you believe, in most a track released also on #1's from Mariah Carey.

The first real single from MLIYL was Heartbreak Hotel, which peaked 3-4 months after the release of the album, which is why the album took off at this moment. The same in UK with "It's Not Right But It's Okay" instead of Heartbreak Hotel.
                  25 June 2009, the day the Music died

Comment

From Brasil (thanks AutomaticBR):

Whitney Houston - The Best so far
                    AD2000
                    Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

How much sold Whitney's ultimate collection? , I know it went very well, but on wikipedia they say 3.5 M in the world
                      Celine Dion - Most Successful Artist Of The Decade in USA

Comment

Originally posted by ronny83
                        How much sold Whitney's ultimate collection? , I know it went very well, but on wikipedia they say 3.5 M in the world
                        I hope so.

Comment

If the infos on wikipedia are right:

Denmark: 2xPlatinum 80,000
                          Sweden: Platinum 40,000
                          Norway: 2xPlatinum 60,000

UK: Platinum 350,000
                          Ireland: 2xPlatinum 50,000

Australia: Platinum 70,000
                          New Zealand: 3xPlatinum 45,000

850k copies in total

It was a success in the north of Europe, UK/Ireland and Australia/New Zealand.

In UK, 350k is a old number. It sold 530k copies until last week.
                          CELINE DION - THE WORLD'S BIGGEST SELLING ARTIST OF THE LAST 25 YEARS

www.celinedioncharts.com

Comment

A resounding success in the UK. I bet her new studio album will be lucky to do half of that

Comment

Originally posted by brunosilva
                              In UK, 350k is a old number. It sold 530k copies until last week.
                              I haven't read any UK figures lately but 530k is respectful.

Comment

so 850k in the world?
                                Celine Dion - Most Successful Artist Of The Decade in USA

Comment

Originally posted by thebigham
                                  Whitney Houston RIAA:

Whitney Houston: 13xp
                                  Whitney: 9xp
                                  I'm Your Baby Tonight: 4xp
                                  The Bodyguard: 17xp
                                  Just saw the title track of I'm Your Baby Tonight on VH1 today. It's been a while since I last heard it and thought as Pop/RnB songs goes it's pretty good.

I suppose most artists would be well satisfied with a 4xp album, but for an artist like Whitney at that time was it considered a flop?
                                  It did yield two #1 Billboard singles (Baby Tonight & All The Man), but the album stalled at #3 and sold 4 million - not that much compared to the titans released before and after it...

Does anybody recall how it was recieved by fans and critics?
                                  How does you Whitney fans feel about the album today?
                                  Top Catalog Albums of the Soundscan era

Let there be rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Dane
                                    Whitney Houston RIAA:

Whitney Houston: 13xp
                                    Whitney: 9xp
                                    I'm Your Baby Tonight: 4xp
                                    The Bodyguard: 17xp
                                    Just saw the title track of I'm Your Baby Tonight on VH1 today. It's been a while since I last heard it and thought as Pop/RnB songs goes it's pretty good.

I suppose most artists would be well satisfied with a 4xp album, but for an artist like Whitney at that time was it considered a flop?
                                    It did yield two #1 Billboard singles (Baby Tonight & All The Man), but the album stalled at #3 and sold 4 million - not that much compared to the titans released before and after it...

Does anybody recall how it was recieved by fans and critics?
                                    How does you Whitney fans feel about the album today?
                                    "I'm Your Baby Tonight" received mixed reviews from professional, The I'm Your Baby Tonight Tour was mocked by the critics;

Don't know much about the fans though.

As far as I'm concerned, I enjoy the album.

Comment

The I'm Your Baby Tonight album is TERRIFIC. I love (nearly) every song on it. "Lover for Life" and "We Didn't Know" with Stevie Wonder are real gems and should've been singles.
                                      Check out my new Michael Jackson top 50 countdown!!!

Comment

OK thanks
                                        Top Catalog Albums of the Soundscan era

Let there be rock!

Comment

Yeh I'm Your Baby Tonight is a stunning album.
                                          But from what I know, at the time she was being critisised for being too pop...and the album not being R&B...which is why she recorded My Love Is Your Love to make her R&B fans happy. imo Whit's always had a pop edge anyway!

Comment

Hi, MJ, do you have Whitney's GFK sales?
                                            Thanks.

Comment

All Whitney discussion should take place here.

Comment

All Whitney discussion should take place here.
                                                Hahaha I knew you would do this.

Comment

Australian Chart run

Saving All My Love For You: 20
                                                  How Will I Know: 6-6-4-*2*-5-4-7-9-11-17-20
                                                  Greatest Love Of All: 20-5-3-2-2-*1*-4-7-14-14-14-20
                                                  I Wanna Dance With Somebody: 13-2-2-*1*-1-1-1-1-3-4-7-8-13-16

Comment

• Belgium

All At Once 1985/04/06: 16-11-11-*2*-2-3-5-5-9-16-16-23
                                                    HOw WIll I KNow 1985/06/29: *28*
                                                    Saving All My Love FOr You 1985/12/28: 28-17-12-11-*9*-13-19
                                                    Hold Me 1986/02/22: *30*
                                                    I Wanna Dance With SOmebody 1987/05/30: 13-5-4-3-2-*1*-1-1-2-3-5-12-18
                                                    DIdn't We Almost have It All 1987/09/05: *16*-17-17-19
                                                    So Emotional 1987/11/28: 21-*18*-22
                                                    Where DO Broken Hearts Go 1988/04/02: *28*
                                                    Love Will Save The Day 1988/07/02: 21-9-*7*-12-12-17-17-23-30
                                                    One MOment In Time 1988/10/01: 13-12-11-5-5-*3*-5-7-15 24-24-28
                                                    I'm Your Baby Tonight 1990/10/27: 36-24-16-12-5-3-*2*-2-4-8-14-21-34
                                                    All The Man That I Need 1991/01/12: 29-27-21-14-16-18-20-34-37
                                                    I Will Always Love You 1992/11/28: 38-25-23-11-8-3-2-*1-1-1-1-1-1-3-7-7-14-22
                                                    I'm Every WOman 1993/03/06: 13-9-4-3-*2*-2-3-6-9-21-32
                                                    I Have Nothing 1993/05/08: 22-22-*16*-18-26-28-30
                                                    Run To you 1993/08/07: 32-*27*-39
                                                    Queen Of The Night 1993/11/20: 29-29-22-*20*-23-23-24-32-37
                                                    Exhale 1995/11/25: 30-25-21-17-15-*14*-14-16-22-24-35
                                                    Step By Step 1997/01/04: 19-18-20-21-17-17-16-*14*-14-14-20-40
                                                    I Believe In You And Me 1997/04/19: *36*
                                                    When You Believe 1998/12/05: 37-32-24-10-10-*5*-5-6-8-10-10-16-12-21-27-32
                                                    It's Not Right But It's Okay 1999/04/10: *36*
                                                    My Love Is Your Love 1999/07/10: 33-21-13-9-6-5-5-*3*

Comment

Working...
                                                    X