Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolling Stones :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Thank you very much Basil!
    I think soon "A bigger bang" will be N°1 in UK.
    "I vecchi quando accarezzano, hanno il timore di far troppo forte.." F.De Andrè.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Basil
      If you are working for the Beeb, haven't you got any contacts who could provide figures? The Official Chart Company would have them. Say you need them for a programme you are planning!



      US sales.

      Soundscan numbers 1991- aug2005:
      1991-Flashpoint - 850.000 - nov 2004
      1994-Voodoo Lounge - 1.960.000 - nov 2004
      1995-Stripped - 670,000 - nov 2004
      1997-Bridges to Babylon - 1.205.000 - nov 2004
      1998-No Security - 326.000 nov 2004
      2002-Forty Licks - 2.430.000 nov 2004
      2004-Jump Back - 539.400 aug 2005
      2004-Live LIcks - 100.000?? aug 2005

      Tot. new albums (1991-2005)= +/- 8.100.000
      Tot. catalog sales (1991-2005)= +/- 12.800.000
      Total: 20.900.000
      "I vecchi quando accarezzano, hanno il timore di far troppo forte.." F.De Andrè.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by scalcioffa
        Thank you very much Basil!
        I think soon "A bigger bang" will be N°1 in UK.
        That's great news, it can be something like a record: the first act with #1 albums in five different decades.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Fedepeti
          Originally posted by scalcioffa
          Thank you very much Basil!
          I think soon "A bigger bang" will be N°1 in UK.
          That's great news, it can be something like a record: the first act with #1 albums in five different decades.

          I'm sorry Fedepeti.....
          "I vecchi quando accarezzano, hanno il timore di far troppo forte.." F.De Andrè.

          Comment


          • #35
            Hi Basil, Fedepeti, ...

            "A Bigger Bang" worldwide charts:

            World #1
            Europe #1

            Usa #3
            Canada #1
            Japan #5-#9
            Hong Kong #5
            New Zealand #9-#2
            Australia #4
            Mexico #2
            Brasil #25
            Argentina #2-#6
            Uk #2
            Ireland #18
            Iceland #2
            Denmark #1
            Norway #2
            Sweden #1
            Poland #17-#2
            Hungary #10
            Holland #1
            Belgium #7
            Germany #1
            Swiss #1
            Austria #1
            Italy #1
            Spain #2
            Portugal #5
            France #3

            According "United World Chart" A Bigger Bang sold 396.000 copies worldwide last week.
            I don't know if 396k included (Japan and other areas) sales of previous week (72.300 copies according to "World Top 50 Albums").

            Links:
            "United World Chart" http://www.mediatraffic.de/
            "World Top 50 Albums" http://www.geocities.com/inthitlists/albums.htm
            "I vecchi quando accarezzano, hanno il timore di far troppo forte.." F.De Andrè.

            Comment


            • #36
              The new album is already Gold in Argentina(20,000) and Portugal(10,000).

              Comment


              • #37
                How accurate are these figures?
                "United World Chart" http://www.mediatraffic.de/

                For me, 396k is a bit low for an album Top 10 in 24 countries. The Japan first week sales are not here, for sure.

                "World Top 50 Albums" http://www.geocities.com/inthitlists/albums.htm

                72k the previous week of release is too much, where the hell sold 30k out of Japan if the album was released worldwide on Sep. 5?

                Who knows the chart system of both links?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Fedepeti
                  How accurate are these figures?
                  "United World Chart" http://www.mediatraffic.de/

                  For me, 396k is a bit low for an album Top 10 in 24 countries. The Japan first week sales are not here, for sure.

                  "World Top 50 Albums" http://www.geocities.com/inthitlists/albums.htm

                  72k the previous week of release is too much, where the hell sold 30k out of Japan if the album was released worldwide on Sep. 5?

                  Who knows the chart system of both links?
                  Yeah, the Mediatraffic figure of 396K would not have included the 41K sold in Japan the previous week.

                  Mediatraffic say they cover 'nearly 95%' of total worldwide album sales but i think this is more like 90%.

                  The Hit List (World Top 50 Albums) figures are usually about 30% higher than Mediatraffic's & are just too high - eg Green Day's American Idiot cannot have sold 13 million (10-11 million is about right). And they don't say where they get their info from.

                  Mediatraffic use the official sales info from around 20-25 countries so their figures are the best to use but remember they only cover 90-94% of total sales & they don't add sales on once an album drops off their top 40 chart. They also use a points system to calculate their weekly top 40 chart. The 396K Stones figure is pure sales though...just 20-40K too low.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by scalcioffa
                    Hi Basil, Fedepeti, ...

                    "A Bigger Bang" worldwide charts:
                    Hi there.

                    Amazing for the Stones to still be charting all over the place. Great Stuff.

                    Looks like Bigger Bang will ship Gold in the US by next month. Platinum is possible by Christmas.

                    For some reason the catalogue number of Forty Licks has been changed in the US and it's sold over 70,000.
                    The previous catalogue number did about 2.6m. So a total of 3 million looks possible which would be 6xP by the riaa.

                    Sales of Jump Back are astonishing as it has been available on import in the US for 10 years already. Even this could be Platinum by next year.

                    We can also live in hope that the back catalogue may get re-certified sometime.

                    The band have the 2 largest grossing tours in history. Maybe this one will make it the Top Three!

                    Looking good!
                    See Page One of my threads for all updates

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Fedepeti
                      How accurate are these figures?
                      "United World Chart" http://www.mediatraffic.de/

                      For me, 396k is a bit low for an album Top 10 in 24 countries. The Japan first week sales are not here, for sure.
                      396k is not too low because Us sales are only 129k.
                      I agree, 396k don't include JP first week sales.


                      Originally posted by Fedepeti
                      "World Top 50 Albums" http://www.geocities.com/inthitlists/albums.htm

                      72k the previous week of release is too much, where the hell sold 30k out of Japan if the album was released worldwide on Sep. 5?

                      Who knows the chart system of both links?
                      I don't know if 72k is too much, I have bought my copy here in Italy before Sept 5 (02/09).
                      "I vecchi quando accarezzano, hanno il timore di far troppo forte.." F.De Andrè.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Basil
                        We can also live in hope that the back catalogue may get re-certified sometime.
                        I hope!!

                        Originally posted by Basil
                        The band have the 2 largest grossing tours in history. Maybe this one will make it the Top Three!

                        Looking good!
                        "I vecchi quando accarezzano, hanno il timore di far troppo forte.." F.De Andrè.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by pierpinto
                          The new album is already Gold in Argentina(20,000) and Portugal(10,000).
                          Many thanks!
                          It's gold also in Italy (40.000)
                          "I vecchi quando accarezzano, hanno il timore di far troppo forte.." F.De Andrè.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by edge3
                            Yeah, the Mediatraffic figure of 396K would not have included the 41K sold in Japan the previous week.
                            I agree at 100%

                            Originally posted by edge3
                            Mediatraffic say they cover 'nearly 95%' of total worldwide album sales but i think this is more like 90%.

                            The Hit List (World Top 50 Albums) figures are usually about 30% higher than Mediatraffic's & are just too high - eg Green Day's American Idiot cannot have sold 13 million (10-11 million is about right). And they don't say where they get their info from.

                            Mediatraffic use the official sales info from around 20-25 countries so their figures are the best to use but remember they only cover 90-94% of total sales & they don't add sales on once an album drops off their top 40 chart. They also use a points system to calculate their weekly top 40 chart. The 396K Stones figure is pure sales though...just 20-40K too low.
                            Thanks for the explanation!!!
                            "I vecchi quando accarezzano, hanno il timore di far troppo forte.." F.De Andrè.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Status Quo are now claiming to have sold 112 Million Records, Globally - and that only The Rolling Stones have sold more Records as a GROUP, one UK TV Magazine, has claimed.

                              In fact The Beatles, ABBA, & Queen, have definitely outsold Status Quo, Globally.

                              Status Quo have been around for Decades, but have only topped the UK Singles Chart for 1 Week - 'Down Down', in 1975. They have not had that many Number 1 Albums, either - or spent very long at Number 1 with them. Out of 19 Top 10 Albums, (to the end of 2004), they have had just 4 Number 1's. They spent just 7 Weeks, at Number 1, between them. 16 of their 19 Top 10 Albums, made the Top 5. But, like The Rolling Stones, none of them were truly massive UK Sellers.

                              The Rolling Stones have sold many Millions more Records than Status Quo. Both Groups may have been around for Decades, but The Stones are way ahead of Quo in Sales - as are many other Groups - Led Zeppelin, U2, & The Bee Gees, to name but 3 more.....

                              As to how many Records The Rolling Stones have sold. Who knows? I have seen claims ranging from 150 Million to 250 Millin for them.

                              In the UK, they have either sold about the same number of Albums as ABBA - 15 to 16 Million. Or, less than ABBA.

                              This is despite ABBA only having had 9 UK Top 10 Albums. Whereas, 'A Bigger Bang', is the 34th UK Top 10 Album, for the Rolling Stones.

                              ABBA had several HUGE Selling UK Albums, and The Rolling Stones have never had a truly huge one. Their UK Album Sales, are about as big as ABBA's, but spread over far more Albums.....

                              zeus555

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Top 15 Catalogue albums in Norway :

                                Plass Tittel Artist Ant.u F.u. Alb.b Merknad
                                1 LIVE LICKS (EXPLICIT VERSION ROLLING STONES 1 Ukens nykommer
                                2 WHITE LADDER GRAY,DAVID 29 1
                                3 EXILE ON MAIN ST ROLLING STONES 6 RE
                                4 GOATS HEAD SOUP ROLLING STONES 2 RE
                                5 IT'S ONLY ROCK & ROLL ROLLING STONES 1 NY
                                6 STICKY FINGERS ROLLING STONES 3 RE
                                7 BLACK & BLUE ROLLING STONES 1 NY
                                8 SOME GIRLS ROLLING STONES 3 RE
                                9 MONICAS BÄSTA ZETTERLUND MONICA 1 NY
                                10 TATTOO YOU ROLLING STONES 1 NY
                                11 LIVE AND DANGEROUS - RE-M THIN LIZZY 2 RE
                                12 JIM STÄRK JIM STÄRK 2 3
                                13 STRIPPED ROLLING STONES 3 RE
                                14 THE SINGLES COLLECTION KINKS 3 RE
                                15 I - INTL VERSION NILSEN,KURT 1 NY
                                25 June 2009, the day the Music died

                                Comment


                                • #46
                                  Originally posted by MJDangerous
                                  Top 15 Catalogue albums in Norway :

                                  Plass Tittel Artist Ant.u F.u. Alb.b Merknad
                                  1 LIVE LICKS (EXPLICIT VERSION ROLLING STONES 1 Ukens nykommer
                                  2 WHITE LADDER GRAY,DAVID 29 1
                                  3 EXILE ON MAIN ST ROLLING STONES 6 RE
                                  4 GOATS HEAD SOUP ROLLING STONES 2 RE
                                  5 IT'S ONLY ROCK & ROLL ROLLING STONES 1 NY
                                  6 STICKY FINGERS ROLLING STONES 3 RE
                                  7 BLACK & BLUE ROLLING STONES 1 NY
                                  8 SOME GIRLS ROLLING STONES 3 RE
                                  9 MONICAS BÄSTA ZETTERLUND MONICA 1 NY
                                  10 TATTOO YOU ROLLING STONES 1 NY
                                  11 LIVE AND DANGEROUS - RE-M THIN LIZZY 2 RE
                                  12 JIM STÄRK JIM STÄRK 2 3
                                  13 STRIPPED ROLLING STONES 3 RE
                                  14 THE SINGLES COLLECTION KINKS 3 RE
                                  15 I - INTL VERSION NILSEN,KURT 1 NY

                                  Thanks MJDangerous!!
                                  "I vecchi quando accarezzano, hanno il timore di far troppo forte.." F.De Andrè.

                                  Comment


                                  • #47
                                    Wow! That's pretty amazing...i wonder where all those albums are/would be on the normal Norway album chart?

                                    Comment


                                    • #48
                                      Just a few figures so all the Stones stuff is in the same place.

                                      A Bigger Bang goes Gold and Platinum in the US.

                                      Their 42nd Gold album and 27th Platinum.

                                      A few latest soundscan figures from Hanboo

                                      Flashpoint - 402,000
                                      Exile on Main Street - 605,000
                                      Sticky Fingers - 825,000
                                      See Page One of my threads for all updates

                                      Comment


                                      • #49
                                        Some guy got a Stones answer on 'Ask Billboard' this week:

                                        The Rolling Stones' most recent studio album, "A Bigger Bang," has sold 500,000 in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, across 26 weeks. Released in September 2005, the Virgin album debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200.

                                        While half a million copies of an album isn't quite flop status, it's not exactly a great number, either. The Stones' previous studio album, 1997's "Bridges To Babylon," has sold 1.2 million. In "Bridges'" first 26 weeks of availability, it moved 985,000 units.
                                        As it was certified platinum back in November, 500k seems disappointing. It's a single disc album isn't?
                                        Top Catalog Albums of the Soundscan era

                                        Let there be rock!

                                        Comment


                                        • #50
                                          Originally posted by Basil
                                          A few latest soundscan figures from Hanboo

                                          Flashpoint - 402,000
                                          Exile on Main Street - 605,000
                                          Sticky Fingers - 825,000
                                          If you have the time you should put these numbers in your first post on page 1 (second post of the thread).
                                          The 'Ask Billboard' numbers too... would turn into one of your nice overviews then
                                          Top Catalog Albums of the Soundscan era

                                          Let there be rock!

                                          Comment


                                          • #51
                                            Originally posted by Dane
                                            Some guy got a Stones answer on 'Ask Billboard' this week:

                                            The Rolling Stones' most recent studio album, "A Bigger Bang," has sold 500,000 in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, across 26 weeks. Released in September 2005, the Virgin album debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200.

                                            While half a million copies of an album isn't quite flop status, it's not exactly a great number, either. The Stones' previous studio album, 1997's "Bridges To Babylon," has sold 1.2 million. In "Bridges'" first 26 weeks of availability, it moved 985,000 units.
                                            As it was certified platinum back in November, 500k seems disappointing. It's a single disc album isn't?
                                            I was "that" guy.
                                            ABB got a re-release with DVD back on November, maybe it shipped Platinum counting both releases.

                                            Comment


                                            • #52
                                              ABB was actually certified platinum Oct 11th 2005, just 5 weeks after release, and about 6 weeks prior to the release of the special edition (Nov 22th 2005).

                                              5 months after platinum certification it has scanned just 500k Sure seems like it was 'over-shipped'.
                                              Top Catalog Albums of the Soundscan era

                                              Let there be rock!

                                              Comment


                                              • #53
                                                Originally posted by Basil
                                                Hanboo has just posted soundscan figures for the whole catalogue, so here they are in context.

                                                USA Charted Albums and Shipments

                                                Key
                                                Year of release
                                                Year of latest riaa certification
                                                Title
                                                riaa shipment
                                                Soundscan data since 1991

                                                Original Studio Albums - US only titles
                                                1964 1989 England's Newest Hitmakers - 500,000 - 104,000
                                                1964 1989 12 x 5 - 500,000 - 85,000
                                                1965 1989 Now - 500,000 - 78,000
                                                1965 1966 December's Children - 500,000 - 72,000
                                                1967 1967 Flowers - 500,000 - 151,000

                                                Orginal Studio Albums - UK/US titles
                                                1965 1989 Out of Our Heads - 1,000,000 - 124,000
                                                1966 1989 Aftermath - 1,000,000 - 243,000
                                                1967 1967 Between the Buttons - 500,000 - 116,000
                                                1967 1967 Their Satanic Majesties - 500,000 - 168,000
                                                1968 1989 Beggars Banquet - 1,000,000 - 527,000
                                                1969 1989 Let It Bleed - 2,000,000 - 903,000

                                                1971 2000 Sticky Fingers - 3,000,000 - 1,078,000
                                                1972 2000 Exile On Main Street - 1,000,000 - 707,000
                                                1973 2000 Goats Head Soup - 3,000,000 - 329,000
                                                1974 2000 It's Only Rock n Roll - 1,000,000 - 246,000
                                                1976 1976 Black and Blue - 1,000,000 - 208,000
                                                1978 2000 Some Girls - 6,000,000 - 1,158,000
                                                1980 2000 Emotional Rescue - 2,000,000 - 222,000
                                                1981 2000 Tattoo You - 4,000,000 - 596,000
                                                1983 1984 Undercover - 1,000,000 - 67,000
                                                1986 1986 Dirty Work - 1,000,000 - 66,000
                                                1989 1990 Steel Wheels - 2,000,000 - 211,000
                                                1994 1994 Voodoo Lounge - 2,000,000 - 1,859,000
                                                1997 1997 Bridges to Babylon - 1,000,000 - 1,161,000
                                                2005 2005 A Bigger Bang - 1,000,000 - 404,000

                                                Live Albums
                                                1966 1967 Got Live if You Want It - 500,000 - 115,000
                                                1970 1989 Get Your Ya Ya's Out - 1,000,000 - 317,000
                                                1977 1977 Love You Live - 500,000 - 159,000
                                                1982 2000 Still Life - 1,000,000 - 161,000
                                                1991 1991 Flashpoint - 500,000 - 846,000
                                                1995 1996 Stripped - 1,000,000 - 830,000
                                                1998 none No Security - none - 323,000
                                                2004 2004 Live Licks - 250,000 - 115,000

                                                Major Compilations
                                                1966 1989 Big Hits Vol 1 - 2,000,000 - 597,000
                                                1969 1989 Big Hits Vol 2 - 1,000,000 - 668,000
                                                1972 2002 Hot Rocks - 6,000,000 - 2,256,000
                                                1984 2000 Rewind 71-84 - 500,000 - 220,000
                                                2005 2005 Jump Back 71-93 - 500,000 - 899,000
                                                2002 2003 Forty Licks - 2,000,000 - 2,604,000

                                                Other Compilations
                                                1972 1973 More Hot Rocks - 500,000 - 125,000
                                                1989 1992 London Years (4CD) - 333,333 - 327,000
                                                1975 none Metamorphosis - none - 38,000
                                                1975 2000 Made in the Shade - 1,000,000 - 74,000
                                                1981 1981 Sucking in the 70's - 500,000 - 26,000
                                                2005 none Rarities - none - 45,000

                                                Total Shipments - 56,583,333

                                                Soundscan Total - 21,628,000












                                                I've posted this on Page One of this thread. Hanboo's soundscan figures mean we can now directly compare them with the riaa certifications and dates!
                                                See Page One of my threads for all updates

                                                Comment


                                                • #54
                                                  Originally posted by Basil
                                                  Major Compilations
                                                  1966 1989 Big Hits Vol 1 - 2,000,000 - 597,000
                                                  1969 1989 Big Hits Vol 2 - 1,000,000 - 668,000
                                                  Hello, I couldn't find the platinum certification on RIAA site that Vol. 2 got certified.
                                                  Thanks.

                                                  Originally posted by Basil
                                                  Original Studio Albums - US only titles
                                                  1964 1989 England's Newest Hitmakers - 500,000 - 104,000

                                                  1965 1989 Now - 500,000 - 78,000
                                                  And these 2, too, can't find any certifications on the RIAA site. Thanks.

                                                  And you missed the platinum certification for "Through The Past, Darkly". Thanks.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #55
                                                    Originally posted by nelson
                                                    Originally posted by Basil
                                                    Major Compilations
                                                    1966 1989 Big Hits Vol 1 - 2,000,000 - 597,000
                                                    1969 1989 Big Hits Vol 2 - 1,000,000 - 668,000
                                                    Hello, I couldn't find the platinum certification on RIAA site that Vol. 2 got certified.
                                                    Thanks.

                                                    ROLLING STONES, THE THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY 10/20/89 ABKCO P ALBUM GROUP Std
                                                    See Page One of my threads for all updates

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #56
                                                      Originally posted by nelson
                                                      Originally posted by Basil
                                                      Original Studio Albums - US only titles
                                                      1964 1989 England's Newest Hitmakers - 500,000 - 104,000

                                                      1965 1989 Now - 500,000 - 78,000
                                                      And these 2, too, can't find any certifications on the RIAA site. Thanks.
                                                      ROLLING STONES, THE THE ROLLING STONES 10/20/89 ABKCO G ALBUM GROUP Std

                                                      The Full title was "The Rolling Stones - England's Newest Hit Makers"

                                                      ROLLING STONES, THE THE ROLLING STONES NOW 10/20/89 ABKCO G ALBUM GROUP Std
                                                      See Page One of my threads for all updates

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #57
                                                        Originally posted by Basil
                                                        ROLLING STONES, THE THE ROLLING STONES 10/20/89 ABKCO G ALBUM GROUP Std

                                                        The Full title was "The Rolling Stones - England's Newest Hit Makers"
                                                        Thanks.
                                                        So does this title "England's Newest Hit Makers" sold 800,000 in UK?
                                                        So what is the title called in US when it was called "The Rolling Stone No. 2" in UK which sold 650,000?
                                                        Thanks.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #58
                                                          Some Soundscan updates:

                                                          Billboard 200 - Jan. 28, 2006
                                                          182 183 ROLLING STONES RARITIES 1971-2003 5,262 92,171

                                                          Billboard 200 - Feb. 25, 2006
                                                          198 -- ROLLING STONES - BIGGER BANG 6,118 34 4,555 489,547

                                                          Also from RIAA's site:
                                                          ROLLING STONES, THE EXILE ON MAIN STREET 05/31/00 ROLLING STONES RECORDS M (3) ALBUM GROUP Std

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #59
                                                            Originally posted by nelson
                                                            Originally posted by Basil
                                                            ROLLING STONES, THE THE ROLLING STONES 10/20/89 ABKCO G ALBUM GROUP Std

                                                            The Full title was "The Rolling Stones - England's Newest Hit Makers"
                                                            Thanks.
                                                            So does this title "England's Newest Hit Makers" sold 800,000 in UK?
                                                            So what is the title called in US when it was called "The Rolling Stone No. 2" in UK which sold 650,000?
                                                            Thanks.
                                                            England's Newest Hit Makers was never issued in the UK.

                                                            Before Their Satanic Majesties Requests, Albums in the US were completely different to the UK - even if they had the same title, the tracks were totally different.

                                                            The first 2 UK albums were

                                                            The Rolling Stones
                                                            The Rolling Stones No.2

                                                            They were never issued in the US and have never been released on CD.
                                                            See Page One of my threads for all updates

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #60
                                                              Originally posted by Fedepeti
                                                              Also from RIAA's site:
                                                              ROLLING STONES, THE EXILE ON MAIN STREET 05/31/00 ROLLING STONES RECORDS M (3) ALBUM GROUP Std
                                                              Thanks for the updates Fedepeti - However I cannot find this on the riaa site
                                                              See Page One of my threads for all updates

                                                              Comment

                                                              Working...
                                                              X