No announcement yet.

ABBA :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian05 - WhatI i'm about to say is 'Controversial', to some Queen Fans, but is is based on 100% Fact. 'Greatest Hits 1' has
    not sold an estimated 6,834,000 UK copies since 1981. Its UK Sales have been 'enhanced', by adding in 560,000 Sales from
    'The Platinum Collection', (Released in 2000 and a No.2 Peak in 2002), and 66,000 Sales from 'Greatest Hits I & II', which
    was a No.37 Hit in 1994. So, the 1981 'Stand-A-Lone' Album, has really sold 6,208,000 UK copies, and not 6,834,000. So,
    it has really sold 487,000 more than 'ABBA Gold's, (estimated), 5,721,000 UK copies - and not a gigantic 1,113,000 more.
    After all, 'ABBA Gold' was not allowed, to have 50%, of the UK Sales of 'Forever Gold', (1996), added to it. It sold 61,000+
    in the UK, so 50% would be around 30,000 Sales. Nor, were any, of the Sales, of the Triple 'Gold' CD, from 2014, allowed to
    be added to 'ABBA Gold'. The 2014 CD, sold around 10,000, in the UK, so that is 3,300 Sales, that the 1992 'Gold' was not
    able to be given. (The OCC have told me, that those 33,300 Sales, were never allocated to 'ABBA Gold). However, in 2006,
    The OCC - via Alan Jones - gave 'Greatest Hits' by Queen, 626,000 'Enhanced' Sales, from those 2 other Queen releases.
    Plus, 'Greatest Hits II' was given 626,000 Sales, from them too - which is why it is able to be the UK's 10th Best Selling Album.
    Without those extra 626,000 Sales, 'Greatest Hits II', would have 3,364,000 UK Sales, and it would then fall, from 10th to 18th
    place, in the UK's Best Selling Albums. 'Greatest Hits', (One), would still be the UK's No.1 Best Seller, even with 626,000 UK
    Sales removed...

NOTE -- The OCC have assured me, (more than once), that no further Sales, (from the 1994 & 2000 Compilations),
    were added to 'Greatest Hits', (One), 'Greatest Hits II', or 'Greatest Hits III', after 2006. 'The Platinum Collection' has
    carried on selling - very well - since 2006. It reached No.5, (in 2018), due to the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Film - after it
    reached No.2 in 2002. (It never did reach No.1, despite its huge UK Sales - over 2.1 Million, I think! Yes - 7 x Platinum,
    by 22nd February 2019).

Here is what Alan Jones - admitted - in September 2009:

WHAT - ALAN JONES SAID IN 'MUSIC WEEK' – W/E 19th SEPTEMBER 2009
    “In 1994, it, (Greatest Hits' (One), was issued in a slipcase with Greatest Hits II and in 2000 with Greatest Hits II and Greatest Hits III,
    (
    'The Platinum Collection'). As these packages contain the original albums, the decision was made, right or wrong, to share out the sales
    pro rata. As Greatest Hits I, II and III together have sold 1,680,000,
    individual tallies for all three have been allocated an extra 560,000
    sales".
    (I - Zeus555. By “all three”, Alan means that 560,000 Sales, from 'The Platinum Collection', were also added to 'Greatest Hits III',
    which was released in 1999).

Alan Continued:

"By the same token, Greatest Hits I and II’s combined sales of 132,000 have been split, with an extra 66,000 being added to each.
    Taking all this into consideration, Greatest Hits has sold a massive 5,780,000 copies. Greatest Hits II, eighth on the list, has sold
    3,840,000 copies".

Zeus555
    Last edited by zeus555; Sun July 5, 2020, 19:00.

Comment

• Zeus thanks for that post re Queens Greatest Hits.
      i was going to reply and say I didn’t believe those figures but I didn’t because I do t have facts and figures to back me up.
      It did sound a little far fetched .

Comment

• For completeness, and to be fair to Liam.k, I should have included the following notes.
        • *Queen - Greatest Hits: This total includes half of the sales of the Greatest Hits I & II double-pack and a third of the sales of The Platinum Collection. Excluding these contributions, total sales stand at an estimated 5.175m. [October 2018]
        • *The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: Chart enthusiasts estimate that the album has sold much less than the OCC claim; the main discrepancy coming from 60s and 70s estimates.
        • *Queen - Greatest Hits II: This total includes half of the sales of the Greatest Hits I & II double-pack and a third of the sales of The Platinum Collection. Excluding these contributions, total sales stand at an estimated 2.71m. [October 2018]
        Here is the original Music Week article from 19/9/2009 to celebrate 50 years of Music Week.
        Sales given were to 22/8/2009.

Last edited by brian05; Mon July 6, 2020, 13:43.

Comment

• Worldwide / European iTunes Album Chart (Daily) Positions:- ABBA Gold Greatest hits

07/11. 1st June 2020
          09/12. 2nd
          06/05. 3rd
          06/04. 4th
          09/08. 5th
          13/10. 6th
          04/05. 7th
          07/09. 8th
          11/05. 9th
          04/03 10th
          04/02. 11th
          08/10. 12th
          05/05. 13th
          05/04. 14th
          05/05. 15th
          04/03.16th
          04/04.17th
          05/06. 18th
          12/12. 19th
          10/09. 20th
          07/06. 21st
          08/07. 22nd
          08/07. 23rd
          16/04. 24th
          13/06. 25th
          18/13. 26th
          10/10. 27th
          12/10. 28th
          12/08. 29th
          07/05. 30th
          Last edited by petrodav1452; Tue July 7, 2020, 07:25.
          Londonreal.org/davidicke.com/Project Camalot.tv

Comment

• How do you think l we will hear the first new ABBA single?
            will it be premiered on a radio station ? If so where ?
            Will there be a promotional film on TV .
            It seems too strange to be true after all these years

Comment

• I've heard that the Video, (using The ABBAtars), for 'I Still Have Faith In You', was
              completed last October. We may get that Single in September. Maybe October. I
              guess, that the Video will get a Global 'Premiere' on TV. On what Channels, I do
              not know. With 'Don't Shut Me Down', to be a Single in November, or December.
              We will see...

Zeus555

Comment

• Austria Official Top 75
                ABBA Gold Tw 53 - Lw 66 WOC 487
                ---------

Belgium - Main Top 200 Albums Chart
                ABBA Gold Tw 47 Lw 37 WOC 147
                --------------

Irish Official Top 100 Album Chart
                ABBA Gold Tw 11 Lw 16 WOC 599
                ________

UK
                Main Albums Chart Top 100

ABBA Gold Tw 20 - Lw 20 WOC 949
                -------
                Official Albums Sales Chart Top 100
                ABBA Gold Tw 25 LW 28 WOC 255
                ---------

Swiss Albums Chart Top 100
                Tw 87 Lw 56 WOC 564
                -------

Comment

• Zeus thanks for your reply it’s as always very informative .
                  Its exiting to think that some kind of promotional film has been made to accompany the music.
                  We have 7 weeks until September so hopefully we should get information coming through via the media etc over that time to promote the event .

Comment

• News about ABBA's New Songs, has now dried up. There has been nothing, for a few Weeks. I'm not sure,
                    if that is good or bad. A lot of the 'News', was really rumours and speculation.

The Coloured Vinyl Box Set, of ABBA's Studio Albums, has now been delayed, from Friday 24th July to Friday
                    14th August. It was originally due on Friday 3rd July.

The Official UK Charts Company, has done an interesting Article, about Queen, due to it being the 50th Anniversary,
                    of their first 'Gig'. It is 50 Chart Facts about Queen. ABBA get a few mentions. Hopefully, they'll do such an Article
                    about ABBA, one Day...

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...-queen__30231/

The OCC Article gives Queen's 'Greatest Hits' 6,370,000 UK Sales. However, in 2006, The OCC allowed 626,000 Sales, to
                    be added to it from 2 other Queen releases. (560,000 - 'The Platinum Collection' - 2000, 66,000 - 'Greatest Hits I & II - 1994).
                    If you remove, those 'Enhanced Sales', it's really sold around 5,744,000. It is still be the UK's Best Selling Album. However,
                    'ABBA Gold' is 2nd, with an estimated 5,728,000 UK Sales. There are really only about 16,000 UK Sales, between them.
                    (To W/E 23rd July 2020). The OCC never mention, that 626,000 UK Sales, of the 1981 Queen 'Greatest Hits' Album, are from
                    2 other Queen releases.

The OCC say that, Queen's 'Greatest Hits II', has sold 4,070,000, in the UK. That makes it the UK's 10th Best Selling Album.
                    Remove its 'Enhanced Sales', and that 1991 Album has 3,440,000 UK Sales. Which makes it fall to 16th place, in the List of
                    the UK's Top 60 Best Selling Albums...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...United_Kingdom

Zeus555

Last edited by zeus555; Sat July 18, 2020, 03:09.

Comment

• thanks for the comparison between Queen Greatest Hits and Abba Gold Zeus555 though both are coming up on big anniversaries in the not too distant future Queen Greatest Hits 40th in October 2021 and ABBA Gold Greatest Hits 30th in September 2022
                      "the love of a mothers life is her child/children"

Comment

• Marcsgirl85 - At present, some UK Chart Fans, want The OCC to 'Ban' all 'Greatest Hits' Albums, from the Main UK Album Chart.
                        They want them hidden away, in their own Chart. If they were to get their way, it would really end, the Main Album Chart presence,
                        of many 'Heritage', (Old), Acts. Most of those Acts, only get into the Album Chart, with 'Hits' Albums. The Beatles can still have Studio
                        Albums Hits, (Reissues), but they don't stay on the Chart for very long. Banning 'Greatest Hits' Albums, to their own LP Chart, would
                        almost certainly stop ABBA, Queen, Elvis Presley, ELO, Bee Gees, Elton John, Bob Marley & The Wailers etc., from spending, any
                        further time in the Main Album UK Chart. But, Fleetwood Mac would be OK, as even without 'Hits' Albums, their 'Rumours' Album, is
                        forever in the Main Album Chart. The Rolling Stones are also OK, as they still release Studio Albums. Ironically, the Rolling Stones,
                        are not very good at selling 'Hits' Albums. As his recent 9th No.1 proves, Bob Dylan, can also still have Chart Hits, with Studio Albums.
                        (Let's hope, that the 'Ban Hits Albums' People, don't get their wishes!)...

Zeus555
                        Last edited by zeus555; Tue July 21, 2020, 11:36.

Comment

• NEW ABBA SONGS (5!) DELAYED UNTIL 2021

UK DJ Geoff Lloyd revealed this on Saturday - 19th July. He's just Interviewed Bjorn:

Bjorn has told UK DJ Geoff Lloyd, that there are 5 New ABBA Songs, but we may have to wait until 2021
                          to hear any of them. So, the idea, of us getting any of them, in September is now gone. (It seems).

The Members of ABBA won't be around forever. If the very worst happens, then that may delay the New
                          Songs forever. Time is not on Agnetha's, Frida's, Benny's, or Bjorn's side. I'm not being horrible. I'm just
                          being realistic. I've seen other ABBA Fans saying the same thing...

www.facebook.com/abbathenewsongs/

It has already been picked up by Noise11. (No doubt other Media 'Outlets' will Report it too).

www.noise11.com/news/new-abba-music-bumped-into-2021-20200721

Zeus555

Comment

• I sent the latest ABBA 'News' to my 4 'Contacts' at The Official UK Charts Company.

To my surprise, they've turned it into an Article! I only sent the 'News' in just over
                            an Hour ago! This is about the 3rd Article, that they've done about the New Songs,
                            and the 1st in many Months. I think that they were, very unsure, about whether the
                            New Songs were really going to be released - ever.

Anyhow, it is good, that they've started to take ABBA's 'Plans' seriously, again.

Link:

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...n-2021__30286/

Zeus555

Comment

• Are these people serious ? Delaying AGAIN ?? There is no excuse for this carrot dangling behaviour and constant teasing of fans . Never in the history of music has a band treated its fans with such disrespect and contempt.
                              I cant express my disappointment sufficiently enough .
                              How much longer can this go on?? Come 2021 it will be oh later in the Autumn then 2022 oh then maybe next year .
                              utterly utterly contemptible .

Comment

• Originally posted by zeus555 View Post
                                I sent the latest ABBA 'News' to my 4 'Contacts' at The Official UK Charts Company.

To my surprise, they've turned it into an Article! I only sent the 'News' in just over
                                an Hour ago! This is about the 3rd Article, that they've done about the New Songs,
                                and the 1st in many Months. I think that they were, very unsure, about whether the
                                New Songs were really going to be released - ever.

Anyhow, it is good, that they've started to take ABBA's 'Plans' seriously, again.

Link:

Zeus555
                                Hi Colin I spoke with Geoff Lloyd and the interview with Bjorn is being broadcast next month on a station in the US.

Comment

• So ,, the interview with Bjorn that drops the latest clanger that the release date is now “next year 2021” was only to be broadcast almost on the eve we were expecting new songs.
                                  2021 has 12 months in it . Not even a mention of when in that 12 months we can expect it. We have been tease since February that these songs will come in the Autumn.
                                  This is for me the last post on here and the last time I will pay interest in this what can only be described as a “ taking the P..s exercise out of fans. ABBA need to come down to earth and realise that fans are not fragments of the imagination of their rich and privileged existences and pompous celebrity . None of which they would have with out the very people they are now messing about.
                                  this is my last visit here good luck everyone .

Comment

• The OCC now say that Abba Gold has sold 5.57m copies to May 2020.
                                    But are streaming equivalent sales included?

Comment

• On Wednesday 22nd July, Gorel Hanser, ABBA's Friend & Spokesperson, discussed the '5' New ABBA Songs, with 2
                                      Swedish News Papers. She would not confirm that there are more than the 2, that we were told about in April 2018.
                                      However, as the New Songs are 'tied' to their ABBAtars 'Project', she may not be able to reveal too much, for Legal
                                      reasons. It may be, that Bjorn is saying more than he should).

Aftonbladet published: Görel Hanser couldn´t confirm that five new songs were coming out.
                                      She stands by what they said earlier.

"I can confirm that two songs will be released, but we don´t know more right now", she says to Aftonbladet.

VK.se Published- Abba has recorded a total of five new songs, according to the British newspaper The Independent.
                                      The information comes from the podcast profile Geoff Lloyd who claims to have done a long interview with Björn Ulvaeus
                                      via the app Zoom.

But Görel said today: "There are two songs that are relevant at the moment and I don´t know when they will be released,
                                      there is no date set. Probably next year but it is related to the avatar project which has been delayed due to corona
                                      and so on. There is no date set and there is nothing more than talking about two songs."

In the meantime, here is Bjorn's Interview with UK I.T.V. News, from September 2019.
                                      From 1.40 on-wards, he is asked if ABBA have 'recently' been into the Studio. He admits
                                      that they have. That he can't say too much, as Benny, Agnetha & Frida, don't want him to
                                      reveal too much. He's clearly not referring to the 2 Songs, that ABBA Recorded, in June
                                      2017. He's talking about 2019 ABBA Recording Sessions...

Zeus555
                                      Last edited by zeus555; Fri July 24, 2020, 21:15.

Comment

• Originally posted by brian05 View Post
                                        The OCC now say that Abba Gold has sold 5.57m copies to May 2020.
                                        But are streaming equivalent sales included?
                                        Brian05 -- The OCC usually give out 'ABBA Gold's UK Sales Total without including Streaming.

In recent Years, they have only included its Streams in 1 Article - 5,580,000.

ABBA's Studio Albums Ranked -- (Monday 22nd April 2019)

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...ranked__26063/

Just 11 Days earlier, they did an Article, in which its Total had Zero Streams added - 5,200,000

The Best Selling Albums of All Time on The Official UK Chart -- (Thursday 11th April 2019)

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...-chart__15551/

In August 2019, they added 250,000 to its 11th April Total - 5,450,000

ABBA's greatest hits collection Gold is the longest-running Top 100 album ever -- (Thursday 8th August 2019)

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...m-ever__27036/

Now, they give it 5,570,000 UK Sales, to May 2020

ABBA To Release 5 New Songs In 2021 -- (Tuesday 21st July 2020)

So, it has been in the Top 75 ever since they gave it 5,580,000 Sales, on 22nd April 2019, but they now say
                                        that it has 10,000 less Sales than that, by May 2020! It seems that its Sales never really increase, no matter
                                        how long its stays on the UK Chart...(According to The OCC).

Zeus555

Comment

• Shireblogger on HAVEN says ABBA Gold all-time over-the-counter sales are currently about 5,850,000.
                                          Liam.k. on Buzzjack says 5,721,000 by 02/07/20.

Perhaps ask some of your OCC contacts for the up to date sales, including streams.

Comment

• Austria Official Top 75
                                            ABBA Gold Tw 33 - Lw 71 WOC 489
                                            ---------

Belgium - Main Top 200 Albums Chart
                                            ABBA Gold Tw 33 Lw 55 WOC 149

Mamma Mia Tw 160 Lw 123 WOC 59

Back Catalogue Singles
                                            Dancing Queen
                                            Tw 24 Lw out WOC 57

--------------

Irish Official Top 100 Album Chart
                                            ABBA Gold Tw 13 Lw 11 WOC 601
                                            ________

UK
                                            Main Albums Chart Top 100

ABBA Gold Tw 23 - Lw 22 WOC 951
                                            -------
                                            Official Albums Sales Chart Top 100
                                            ABBA Gold Tw 31 LW 28 WOC 258
                                            ---------

Swiss Albums Chart Top 100
                                            Tw 63 Lw 98 WOC 566
                                            -------

Comment

• Italy

ABBA GOLD THEIR GREATEST
                                              Abba Polydor 2 platino 2020 2xP

Comment

• Worldwide / European iTunes Album Chart (Daily) Positions:- ABBA Gold Greatest 03/02. 1st July 2020 05/04. 2nd 08/07. 3rd Na/Na. 4th 04/07. 5th 07/10. 6th 12/18. 7th 08/11. 8th Na/Na.9th 20/19.10th 05/05.11th 04/07.12th 05/06.13th 05/06 14th 07/08.15th Na/Na.16th 09/11. 17th 07/07. 18th 06/05. 19th 05/04. 20th 04/03.21st 03/04.22 nd 01/02. 23rd 02/01. 24th 06/03. 25th 08/04. 26th 06/03. 27th Na/Na 28th 03/02. 29th 03/02. 30th 05/04. 31st

Comment

Working...
                                                X