Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABBA :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • seeing off two of the new entries yesterday already .Abba back to no2 in ITunes and still no 1 in Amazon UK . An indication that it remains strong

    Comment


    • Originally posted by autumnwind View Post

      The first no.1 in france is absolutely fabulous. I thought their voulez vous went up to no.1. But maybe didn't?
      finally no.1 in france.
      Voulez-Vous didn't reach number one in France, despite its French title. 'Voyage' is their first studio album to top the French charts.
      I have the following information regarding the chart positions of their albums:

      Greatest Hits - Jan 1976, #9, 12 wks.
      Golden Double Album - May 1976, #2, 27 wks.
      Arrival - Nov 1976, #15, 10 wks.
      The Album - Jan 1978, #13, 10 wks.
      Voulez-Vous - May 1979, #6, 16 wks.
      Greatest Hits Vol.2 - Nov 1979, #5, 9 wks.
      Super Trouper - Nov 1980, #8, 12 wks.
      The Must (Best?) of Abba - Feb 1981, #13, 5 wks.
      The Visitors - Dec 1981, #12, 9 wks.
      The Singles - The First Ten Years - Nov 1982, #6, 10 wks.
      I Love Abba - Dec 1983, #12, 3 wks.
      The Abba Story - Sep 1990, #1(?), 13 wks.
      Gold - Oct 1992, #1(?), 48 wks.
      More Abba Gold - Aug 1993, #10, 21 wks.
      Love Stories - Apr 1999, #3, 9 wks.


      Since the 90s there has been a separate album chart for compilations if I'm correctly informed.

      Comment


      • New Zealand - Albums

        01 (NEW) Voyage

        https://nztop40.co.nz/chart/albums

        Comment


        • Despite all the new releases from this week, they are still holding the #1 in some countries on iTunes.

          Album: Voyage
          iTunes (4x #1):
          #1 Germany
          #1 Latvia
          #1 Luxembourg
          #1 Switzerland

          Comment


          • They may return to no 1 in some as the initial thrust demonises from new releases

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Nomore View Post
              They may return to no 1 in some as the initial thrust demonises from new releases
              I've read in a British charts forum that a second week as number 1 in the UK is almost certain. I'm still curious for the numbers and predictions from Canada this week, we haven't heard anything so far.

              Comment


              • I hope a 2nd week in UK is posdible. Is there a serious threat from anyone elsr?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by lautert View Post
                  About Germany, I remember reading in another forum the 200k info days before and no one believed on the guy, someone even commented about here and it turned out to be true

                  I think the German 200k quote was for the first day. It turns out it was 200k for the week. I guess that was the record company on pre-orders/shipments/predictions

                  Likewise in UK there was apparentlly a prediction of 140k within the first 14 hours. That was from Universal, apparently.

                  We know now about 200k in both countries. In UK we know 204k sales - almost all of which purel sales

                  Comment


                  • UK SALES BREAKDOWN


                    This week’s sales: 203,909 |


                    Pure Sales: Physical + Downloads 199, 192


                    Physical: CD + VINYL + Cassette 182,566


                    CD 148 471


                    Vinyl 29 900


                    Cassette 4 205


                    Downloads: 16,626 |


                    Streams: 4,717 |



                    Basically, 200k PURE SALES!


                    I wish we could get this breakdown in the UK everyweek and in other countries even just for the first week.


                    from Music Week vis Chart Analysis Forum on this site.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Benny View Post

                      Voulez-Vous didn't reach number one in France, despite its French title. 'Voyage' is their first studio album to top the French charts.
                      I have the following information regarding the chart positions of their albums:

                      Greatest Hits - Jan 1976, #9, 12 wks.
                      Golden Double Album - May 1976, #2, 27 wks.
                      Arrival - Nov 1976, #15, 10 wks.
                      The Album - Jan 1978, #13, 10 wks.
                      Voulez-Vous - May 1979, #6, 16 wks.
                      Greatest Hits Vol.2 - Nov 1979, #5, 9 wks.
                      Super Trouper - Nov 1980, #8, 12 wks.
                      The Must (Best?) of Abba - Feb 1981, #13, 5 wks.
                      The Visitors - Dec 1981, #12, 9 wks.
                      The Singles - The First Ten Years - Nov 1982, #6, 10 wks.
                      I Love Abba - Dec 1983, #12, 3 wks.
                      The Abba Story - Sep 1990, #1(?), 13 wks.
                      Gold - Oct 1992, #1(?), 48 wks.
                      More Abba Gold - Aug 1993, #10, 21 wks.
                      Love Stories - Apr 1999, #3, 9 wks.


                      Since the 90s there has been a separate album chart for compilations if I'm correctly informed.
                      None of this are official though, just an indication, as, sadly, there were no official charts in France until november 1984.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Nameless View Post
                        UK SALES BREAKDOWN


                        This week’s sales: 203,909 |


                        Pure Sales: Physical + Downloads 199, 192


                        Physical: CD + VINYL + Cassette 182,566


                        CD 148 471


                        Vinyl 29 900


                        Cassette 4 205


                        Downloads: 16,626 |


                        Streams: 4,717 |



                        Basically, 200k PURE SALES!


                        I wish we could get this breakdown in the UK everyweek and in other countries even just for the first week.


                        from Music Week vis Chart Analysis Forum on this site.
                        Those breakdowns explain a lot about the demographic. Expect some big drops but the album will pass 1 million copies which is amazing in this day and age!

                        Comment


                        • On Instagram ABBA's official account have posted that the album was number #1 on Japan's international charts. Do we have any source?

                          Comment


                          • nympho Chances for #1 in Spain?

                            Comment


                            • Great results so far. I’m a bit apprehensive about longevity as they probably won’t be promoting it anymore, and anyone who wanted it I assume bought it week one.

                              There might be some sales in the lead up to Christmas as people buy it for their parents and even their grandparents, but I think it’ll be interesting to see what happens when the Voyage shows start - it would be smart to introduce a special edition that can only be bought at the shows (new ABBAtar covers, expanded booklet etc).
                              Bleep Bloop Blop

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Rockintunesbaby View Post

                                Those breakdowns explain a lot about the demographic. Expect some big drops but the album will pass 1 million copies which is amazing in this day and age!
                                You mean in the UK or worlwide ?

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by lautert View Post
                                  On Instagram ABBA's official account have posted that the album was number #1 on Japan's international charts. Do we have any source?
                                  Well, they were #04 overall and the 3 albums above "Voyage" were from national acts, so it's indeed true.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by MusicLover88 View Post
                                    nympho Chances for #1 in Spain?
                                    Not sure...

                                    On Spotify weekly albums chart they're only #106... so they're relying (as basically everywhere else) on physical sales.
                                    I was surprised to check the other day in Fnac in Madrid only the CD was on the shelves... no boxset, no vinyls, no cassettes... and only a few copies. I guess the vinyl is available but maybe it was sold out...
                                    All the other editions are available in Spain, but it seems online only.

                                    The only other big release of the week was Melendi's new studio album. And, although he's not as popular as he used to be, every one of his 10 studio albums has been either #1 or #2... Also, his album is #18 on Spotify weekly albums chart. So... hopefully I'm wrong... but he has more chances of being #1.

                                    Unless Voyage had lots of pre-orders so the physical sales are indeed healthy, I can see them being "only" Top 3.

                                    This is ABBA's albums chart history in Spain:

                                    Voulez-Vous: #3 - Gold
                                    Grandes éxitos Vol. 2 - #25 - X
                                    Gracias por la música - #2 - Platinum
                                    Super Trouper - #3 - Platinum
                                    The Visitors - #3 - Gold
                                    The Singles: The First 10 Years - #10 - X
                                    ABBA Gold - #1 - Platinum
                                    ABBA Gold (1999 Reissue) - #1 (4 wks) - 5xPlatinum
                                    Todo ABBA - #4 - Platinum
                                    18 Hits - #17 - X
                                    The Essential Collection - #53 - X
                                    Live at Wembley Arena - #63 - X

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by wolfmother View Post

                                      You mean in the UK or worlwide ?
                                      I mean worldwide. I don’t expect it to hold up very well.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Artoo View Post
                                        Great results so far. I’m a bit apprehensive about longevity as they probably won’t be promoting it anymore, and anyone who wanted it I assume bought it week one.

                                        There might be some sales in the lead up to Christmas as people buy it for their parents and even their grandparents, but I think it’ll be interesting to see what happens when the Voyage shows start - it would be smart to introduce a special edition that can only be bought at the shows (new ABBAtar covers, expanded booklet etc).
                                        Exactly, I think the numbers will still good at second week but we should expect a drop as it's normal to every artist nowadays. I believe there might be still people that will feel encouraged to buy it this week after the succes from the first week and there might be casual fans as well that they will buy later.

                                        My mum didn't buy it yet, but she'll deffa buy it this week or next one. A colleague of mine tried to buy the vinyl version two times at his local store but they were always sold out in the evenings, so let's see what happens

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by Rockintunesbaby View Post

                                          I mean worldwide. I don’t expect it to hold up very well.
                                          Oh, it definitly will, they sold anything from 750 to 800k this week alone. They will have no problem doubling those sale with christmas just around the corner. 2 millions seems realistic though not a given, and I now doubt they can go much further than that. At first, given the huge preorders in the very first few days, I thought they'd do even better on their first week and would be on course for 3 million at the end of it, but the market has really changed a lot, even in just two years, and Abba are more frontloaded than other acts usually are.

                                          Comment


                                          • Worldwide Sales

                                            I am on record here saying 450k UK sales.
                                            300k by end of this year and the rest eventually.


                                            I said sales would be similar to More Gold. That is 2 - 3 million worldwide.

                                            I read in another forum, that ZEUS555, mocked my claims. I know it is him because he posts exactly the same here.

                                            I find this behaviour DISGUSTING. If you want to dismiss my opinions DO SO HERE.

                                            Btw, I am NOT a member of ANY ABBA or Chart Forum apart from this - but I can read (most) of them. This is fact.


                                            I am sticking to
                                            450k UK
                                            150K US

                                            I said 300k for Germany but maybe nearer UK totals

                                            Probably 2 million plus globally. Maybe 2.5m to 3.m at best.


                                            German vs UK sales
                                            I didn't take seriously the claim by Benny on this forum that Voyage would sell more in Germany than UK.

                                            I thought it "too close to call". Both have sold around 200k in week 1. We don't know exact numbers of Gernany - and never will. It probably has more Streams than UK but maybe fewer sales.

                                            NoMore - thanks for your comments. We didn't get off to a good start but glad we are on the same page now

                                            Mods - I have accepted your criticism about not posting "poliitical" comments. But please note the individual who does not - and his tag on every post to Conspiracy Theorist David Icke. Thanks.

                                            Comment


                                            • I'm waiting for the white vinyl to be available again (or at least the yellow vinyl) and my family doesn't let me buy the cd so it'll be a Xmas present. I guess more people will have similar situations so the album will keep afloat somewhere in charts at least until January.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by wolfmother View Post

                                                It's #23 and #62. Weird. Still very disappointing though.
                                                That Lithuanian chart based on Spotify numbers.
                                                My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                                In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by Rockintunesbaby View Post

                                                  Why would it do well in Lithuania? When ABBA were originally together, Lithuania was a part of Soviet Union, most people had no access to pop music. So you can almost guarantee most Eastern European countries ABBA won't do well with this album.
                                                  You are wrong.

                                                  ABBA was very popular in Soviet Union and other parts of Eastern Europe too, but almost all these countries didn't have any official charts. Not only in their socialistic part, but even in glory days of music market (90s and 00s).

                                                  I live in the biggest city of Eastern Europe, but physical music market is dead here for many years. Not sure about vinyl, but I couldn't find CD version of Vojage here.

                                                  Modern charts (almost everywhere) are mostly about Spotify numbers, that's why ABBA will get poor results in those regions, where music shops doesn't exist.
                                                  Last edited by LastDreamer; Sun November 14, 2021, 10:07.
                                                  My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                                  In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Crickey the above is really sad .

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X