No announcement yet.

ABBA :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone on a German site has calculated that ABBA make around 93k € per month through streaming on Spotify:

0,0041 Euro (what Spotify pays an artist for each stream) X number of monthly listeners = 93.905 €

https://www.inside-digital.de/news/s...bands-wirklich

Comment

• Rremember, remember the fifth of November. Happy Birthday to Voyage!

Released this day laet year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nameless View Post
        What would German sales of Voyage be now? Must be over 500k.
        I wish I knew! The 400k were announced around December 9th, 2021 when the album spent a third (and last) week at #1, with one week at #2 in between. Since then it did this in the follwing weeks within the Top 20: 2 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 6 - 7 - 10 - 13 - 5 - 19 - 17 - 15 - 19. That's actually a chartrun of an album that surpassed easily the 100k! And a part of these weeks were during christmas business. Even if the german charts are value based: there's no value without sales.

Comment

• There's a photo of Benny on ABBA's Twitter account presented with a disc for 2,500,000 sales worldwide for Voyage. It's from Polar. It has the flags of 18 countries. I am not able to upload it.
          Last edited by Nameless; Mon November 7, 2022, 16:00.

Comment

There's a photo of Benny on ABBA's Twitter account presented with a disc for 2,500,000 sales worldwide for Voyage. It's from Polar. It has the flags of 12 countries. I am not able to upload it.
            Thank you for mentioning!

It's actually 18 contries (Sweden, France, Australia, Switzerland, UK, Germany, Canada, USA, Finland, Norway, Belgium, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Portugal, Austria and Denmark). The question is: Are the 2.5 million from these countries only? There's no flag of Spain, Poland, Hungary, Iceland and so on....

Comment

• Yeah. I edited my post to say 18 countries before you messaged with my original post. Strange!

BTW, that's the Irish flag not the Italian one. Green, White and Orange. Italy's Green, White and Red.

Dunno if it's just those 18 countries. 2.5m is probably a little high but it would be shipments anyway, so that's fair enough.

More believable than the global claims of 400m!

I asked about German sales the other day. Probably nearer 550k than 500k if it was certfied 400k on or around 9th December.
              Last edited by Nameless; Mon November 7, 2022, 16:25.

Comment

• 2.5M is a great figure for 2021-2022. Best launch for a veteran act I'd ever seen in the streaming age.

Comment

• Great news about the 2.5 mio for Voyage. We know that the figure for 2021 was 2.05 mio (through the IFPI report). 450k for 2022 seems a little high though given the fact that in most countries it hold already left the top 10 at that point.

The 18 countries were already mentioned by Universal Music last year as the countries where Voyage reached number one (for the US, they used the Album Sales Chart, for Canada the Top Current Albums Chart and for Japan the International Chart, otherwise they couldn't have claimed a number one position for either of these 3 countries).

And yes it's Ireland and not Italy.

Comment

• Benny

Like you my first impression was that 450k for 2022 did seem high. But the 2.05m figure IFPI gave for 2021 was Sales (Shipments/Downlads). It did not include Streaming. Guesswork here but they might be at or near 10% - giving Sales Plus Streaming of 2.2 million.

300k for 2022 does seem plausible. 65k in the UK. Perhaps 75k or more in Germany. Now I think 2.5m is feasible - but it does include shipments and some streaming.

Regardiing where Voyage was #1 - exclude USA, Canada and Japan as those charts weren't Official.

But do add Iceland, Czech Republic and Greece. So yes, still 18 #1's

Here is a photo and article on the 2.5m ssles

https://abbasite.com/articles/abba-c...age-worldwide/

Voyage wasn't best seller of 2021 Iin UK. 3rd on Official Chart. 2nd on Sales and 1st on Vinyl.
                    Last edited by Nameless; Mon November 7, 2022, 20:14.

Comment

• 2.5 million in 2022 for a veteran act is ansolutely astonishing. I'm glad I'm one of the troops who made part of it.
                      Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

• One year later I still can't believe that we actually witnessed the era of a new ABBA studio album. This is something that I would have never ever expected to happen, a true miracle!

Comment

• I have been listening to Voyage a lot lately. There's 3 songs I love, 2 I can't stand and the remaining 5 I like/enjoy to varying degrees but aren't ABBA classics.

Anyway, here is a fan poll. It is similar but not identical to my own Top 10.

https://youtu.be/fHouVWUvWio

Comment

• Voyage sales figures:

Germany 762k (physical & digital)
                            Austria 16k
                            Switzerland 14k

https://beta.musikwoche.de/details/476879

Comment

• Very much higher sales than expected in Germany! 4*Platinum quite possible in a distant future.

In opposition to that: Sales for Switzerland and Austria lower than expected.

Comment

• This is the first time ever that I have seen an exact number for the total sales of an ABBA album in Germany. For all their other albums we only have the information from the gold & platinum database, knowing how much the album sold at least.

Comment

• Wow! That's VERY impressive German sales! Thank for posting Benny. The German sales are way higher than I - or I suspect most of us expected.

Austrian sales in line with their certification. Switzerland much lower than expected.

Comment

• The most exciting thing is: a few days ago you've asked about any sales figures for Germany, Nameless and Voila: here they are!

At least Voyage is 7*Gold in Germany and Gold in Switzerland (even if not certified in both).

Comment

• Originally posted by TfromBinG View Post
                                      At least Voyage is 7*Gold in Germany and Gold in Switzerland (even if not certified in both).
                                      In Germany it's even eligible for a Diamond certification (for sales of at least 750k).

However, it's really strange that the sales of Voyage in Austria and Switzerland are so low compared to Germany. I mean the chart runs were similar, the album was the number one album of 2021 in all 3 countries. Given the fact that both countries have around 1/10 of the population Germany has (actually a bit more), I had expected sales to be (more or less) 10% of the German number.

Comment

• Austria' and Switzerland's sales are much lower than expected.

Another country with surprisingly low sales for Voyage is Belgiium. Certification is for 20,000 sales. Belgiums population is 11 5 million. Voyage was the best seller last year in Flanders and 3rd best in Walloon. It would have expected maybe 40 to 50k in both Belgium and Switzerland and perhaps a little less in Austria.

It would be interesting to find out the sales in The Netherlands.

Comment

It would be interesting to find out the sales in The Netherlands.
                                          On January, 3rd, I wrote this (it was about the dutch year end charts. Someone before wrote that Voyage was #4 with 70% of what Adele did as #1):

"Concerning the dutch sales of Voyage I made a little calculation:

Voyage sold 70% of what 30 did. The number 6 on the dutch year end ranking - a dutch rapper called Snelle made 51% of 30. Snelle received platinum for his album (40k). He probably sold more by the end of 2021, but when 40k are 51% of what Adele did, so 30 sold at least round 80k. 70% of 80k is 56k for Voyage. I'd put it at 60k at least."

Of course, it might remain as a calculation with several unknowns....

Comment

• It seems that album sales are very low in general in countries like Austria & Switzerland. I checked out certifications for albums in Switzerland and only a few 'newer' albums are certified 1x gold (10k) or 1x platinum (20k). The latest albums by Adele & Rammstein are also certified 'only' 1x platinum, despite having the advantage of much higher streaming numbers compared to 'Voyage'.

The same applies to Germany. 'Voyage' has been a big exception.
                                            Last edited by Benny; Fri November 11, 2022, 14:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by Benny View Post
                                              The latest albums by Adele & Harry Styles are also certified 'only' 1x platinum, despite having the advantage of much higher streaming numbers compared to 'Voyage'.
                                              The latest album by Harry Styles is still uncertified. The predecessor (Fine line) is platinum.

Comment

• Originally posted by TfromBinG View Post

The latest album by Harry Styles is still uncertified. The predecessor (Fine line) is platinum.
                                                Yes, you are right, my mistake.

Comment

• UK CHARTS pretty stable this week

Main
                                                  #17 Gold (18)
                                                  There is a new entry at #16 with 3, 841 sales. A re-entry at #19 with 3,582 so will have am estimate for sales of about 3700 for the week.

Sales
                                                  #27 Gold (27)
                                                  #83 Voyage (84)

Physical
                                                  #29 Gold (30)
                                                  #83 Voyage (83)
                                                  Last edited by Nameless; Fri November 11, 2022, 19:35.

Comment

• https://youtu.be/GaAex6EJ3IM

Comment

Working...
                                                    X