The Beatles :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jimmypages59

These figures have been rectified and updated, from the ones Basil posted some time ago. There was no detailed split between Retail and Club, just overall totals, from which he assumed a split.
    Interesting stats, jimmy, thanks for those - big question is, how much did it sell between 1967 and 92?

High sales for 1998 - Linda McCartney's death, maybe?
    They did not sell many, but they were one of the best - God save the Kinks!

Comment

• Originally posted by blackcat
      Originally posted by Stu
      Topicel, commenting about MJD wrote...

"Well done again! You reaffirm your committment to 'missing' sales that are represented between certification levels. Accordingly you have a much higher Elvis total in mind that you never updated on you 'Billion' Elvis thread. Despite many asking, like EIK, that you update your work.

But that's not necessary, because you don't believe a billion should be claimed, even when it is as perfectly acceptable for RCA/BMG to say it as EMI depending on the method. The fact remains, you created a thread out of anger and dislike for the subject and his fans and set about disproving a claim that has no answer without the context.

In my case, I pointed out exactly how EMI had begun the process of putting similarly outrageous statements out about 545m in Oct. 72 increasing to 750m in Sept. 1973. It was all a fabrication, but you start creating 'prove' in its defence by saying new and original things like you are almost sure the company were counting double albums as 12 units!

Why don't you use the same suspicious standards there? This attitude should be applied equally to both and all claims - not kept for your pet hates like Elvis.

Like I say, happy days - England about to stuff Australia for 'the Ashes'".

Music fans familiar with the relevant thread can only agree with Topicels comments. MJD's "agenda" is amateurish, leaving his judgement clearly and comprehensively compromised. :-?

Anyway, back to the decking... it's not gonna lay itself and rain's on the way!
      Elvis Is Back album is great, Stu!!!

As is Elvis That's The Way It Is, and Elvis From Memphis. Not over keen on the country album (never been a big country fan anyway), although the first track, Snowbird, is brilliant.

So quite pleased with my initial Elvis purchases, like his music a lot.

As for this topic, Beatles were the biggest selling group, Elvis was the biggest selling solo artist, and no one really knows for sure how much each artist sold. So there!!!

Right, back to the music, bit more Elvis maybe, although just getting into Iggy Pop at the moment - I Wanna Be Your Dog on Youtube..........fantastic!!!
      Thanks for the feedback Blackcat! Glad you enjoyed "Is Back". I am sure you will enjoy listening to it and "That's The Way It Is" for years to come... like all great albums they sound never sound dated!

Interesting that you like the fantastic Iggy Pop!! "Lust for Life" is a great album and you can sure hear the Jim Morrison influence there. Or check out China Girl from "The Idiot". Yep Iggy sure is a Real Wild Child.. lol.

And yep those Pepper numbers are interesting. Wonder why the club sales were so much lower than the Retail ones in 1998?
      Stu

Comment

• Originally posted by Stu
        Originally posted by blackcat
        Originally posted by Stu
        Topicel, commenting about MJD wrote...

"Well done again! You reaffirm your committment to 'missing' sales that are represented between certification levels. Accordingly you have a much higher Elvis total in mind that you never updated on you 'Billion' Elvis thread. Despite many asking, like EIK, that you update your work.

But that's not necessary, because you don't believe a billion should be claimed, even when it is as perfectly acceptable for RCA/BMG to say it as EMI depending on the method. The fact remains, you created a thread out of anger and dislike for the subject and his fans and set about disproving a claim that has no answer without the context.

In my case, I pointed out exactly how EMI had begun the process of putting similarly outrageous statements out about 545m in Oct. 72 increasing to 750m in Sept. 1973. It was all a fabrication, but you start creating 'prove' in its defence by saying new and original things like you are almost sure the company were counting double albums as 12 units!

Why don't you use the same suspicious standards there? This attitude should be applied equally to both and all claims - not kept for your pet hates like Elvis.

Like I say, happy days - England about to stuff Australia for 'the Ashes'".

Music fans familiar with the relevant thread can only agree with Topicels comments. MJD's "agenda" is amateurish, leaving his judgement clearly and comprehensively compromised. :-?

Anyway, back to the decking... it's not gonna lay itself and rain's on the way!
        Elvis Is Back album is great, Stu!!!

As is Elvis That's The Way It Is, and Elvis From Memphis. Not over keen on the country album (never been a big country fan anyway), although the first track, Snowbird, is brilliant.

So quite pleased with my initial Elvis purchases, like his music a lot.

As for this topic, Beatles were the biggest selling group, Elvis was the biggest selling solo artist, and no one really knows for sure how much each artist sold. So there!!!

Right, back to the music, bit more Elvis maybe, although just getting into Iggy Pop at the moment - I Wanna Be Your Dog on Youtube..........fantastic!!!
        Thanks for the feedback Blackcat! Glad you enjoyed "Is Back". I am sure you will enjoy listening to it and "That's The Way It Is" for years to come... like all great albums they sound never sound dated!

Interesting that you like the fantastic Iggy Pop!! "Lust for Life" is a great album and you can sure hear the Jim Morrison influence there. Or check out China Girl from "The Idiot". Yep Iggy sure is a Real Wild Child.. lol.

And yep those Pepper numbers are interesting. Wonder why the club sales were so much lower than the Retail ones in 1998?
        Stu
        And who was quoted as being Jim Morrison's favourite group Stu? Not The Beatles or The Stones or The Who, but some group from Muswell Hill in London, now what were they called again.............

I could well imagine Elvis singing something like The Passenger by Iggy Popp! Would have lent itself perfectly to his voice and style!

Comment

• Blackcat, I don't know much about The Kinks connection! Not surprised though, the World had become a lot smaller place by the mid-late sixties!! Whilst budding music genii everywhere was chasing about influencing each other, Elvis was in Hollywood rattling Anne-Margaret senseless.

Morrison was a true innovator. That's what i like about great artists... they come along and throw a spanner in the works of conformity. Doesn't happen much these days. The industry and its global audience seem to be getting more fragmented.
          Stu

Comment

• And who was quoted as being Jim Morrison's favourite group Stu? Not The Beatles or The Stones or The Who, but some group from Muswell Hill in London, now what were they called again.............
            It was 'Madness' wasn't it? Blackcat....are you on commission for every time you mention the Kinks. Go and have a cold shower (lol). Jim Morrison was probably jealous of the fab four who were outgunning him both commercially and creatively. Look what happened to Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame. He releases the seminal 'Pet Sounds', itself a reaction to Rubbersoul and then months later Sgt Pepper rears it's head and he ends up taking a lengthy sabbatical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Humpers
              And who was quoted as being Jim Morrison's favourite group Stu? Not The Beatles or The Stones or The Who, but some group from Muswell Hill in London, now what were they called again.............
              It was 'Madness' wasn't it? Blackcat....are you on commission for every time you mention the Kinks. Go and have a cold shower (lol). Jim Morrison was probably jealous of the fab four who were outgunning him both commercially and creatively. Look what happened to Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame. He releases the seminal 'Pet Sounds', itself a reaction to Rubbersoul and then months later Sgt Pepper rears it's head and he ends up taking a lengthy sabbatical.
              LOL Humpers! I am not so sure about Jim Morrison being jealous of anyone! He was a bit of a loner and more from the Dylan school of thought. In fact if he had recorded "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" the jealousy boot might have been on the other foot! Anyway he kept true to his roots and like Elvis in the sixties, just did his own thing which is pretty cool really.

Comment

• By the way Humpers i don't know about Pet Sounds being a reaction to Rubber Soul, it was more likely a reaction to the chemical imbalance that those middle class profligates were experiencing at the time. Long live Rock N'Roll!

Comment

• LOL Humpers! I am not so sure about Jim Morrison being jealous of anyone! He was a bit of a loner and more from the Dylan school of thought. In fact if he had recorded "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" the jealousy boot might have been on the other foot! Anyway he kept true to his roots and like Elvis in the sixties, just did his own thing which is pretty cool really.
                  Very good Stu! I think you hit the nail on the head. I feel that the artists during these times were very special in that they did their own thing creatively and they sparked each other into exploring different sonic landscapes.

By the way Humpers i don't know about Pet Sounds being a reaction to Rubber Soul, it was more likely a reaction to the chemical imbalance that those middle class profligates were experiencing at the time. Long live Rock N'Roll!
                  Again you're probably right to some extent but that is what the great Brian Wilson did say. There was undeniably an element of chemical imbalance and I don't think for one second they were using any mushrooms found in your local supermarket.

Long live Rock N Roll indeed!

Comment

• Elvis in the sixties did what Tom Parker told him to do... ya know,great movements of the time like Harem Scarum,Kissin Cousins,Easy Come Easy Go and a lot of classic songs that barely made the top 40.Why is it that this is a Beatle thread site and I am forever reading about the musical brilliance of the Kinks,Elvis and a few others I won't even bother to mention.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigred
                      Elvis in the sixties did what Tom Parker told him to do... ya know,great movements of the time like Harem Scarum,Kissin Cousins,Easy Come Easy Go and a lot of classic songs that barely made the top 40.Why is it that this is a Beatle thread site and I am forever reading about the musical brilliance of the Kinks,Elvis and a few others I won't even bother to mention.
                      Hey Bigred you know all the Elvis films! Yipee!!

Comment

• Sadly,yes,I do know most of the movie titles,and worse still,I have actually seen a fair amount of them (although not all the way through,I have to change the channel after about 7-8 minutes).

Comment

Sadly,yes,I do know most of the movie titles,and worse still,I have actually seen a fair amount of them (although not all the way through,I have to change the channel after about 7-8 minutes).
                          7-8 minutes is good Bigred!!

Comment

• Sadly,yes,I do know most of the movie titles,and worse still,I have actually seen a fair amount of them (although not all the way through,I have to change the channel after about 7-8 minutes).
                            Ha ha! Wasn't it Mr Lennon that said Elvis died when he joined the army. I can say, very proudly, that I have never watched an elvis film in it's entirety. I do switch over long before the 7-8 minutes is up. Elvis, though a talented singer, certainly had an army of sycophants around him.

Comment

• Can't hear any Jim Morrison influence on Lust For Life - certainly a Bowie influence!

Comment

Just for that, humpers, I shall mention The Kinks again!

The Doors first hit record was "Hello I Love You", if you listened to that now on Youtube, and then go and listen to The Kinks second hit, "All Day And All Of The Night", I think you might find that there is a connection.

Ray Davies was, apparently, seriously thinking of suing The Doors for breach of copyright!

There - no more mention of The Kinks for ages now, as long as you promise to listen to both records, Humpers!

Comment

• blackcat said:
                                  The Doors first hit record was "Hello I Love You"
                                  No, The-Doors's first hit single, and their biggest, with sales of 927,140 copies by December 1971 in USA, was their first single "Light My Fire".
                                  That single belongs to their first album, "The Doors", which also by December 1971 had sold 1,234,919 copies (presently is RIAA certified for 4 million copies shipped since 2007, 40 years after its original release). This album is their best selling album ever in USA.

By December 1971, The Doors had sold 4,190,457 million albums, 7,750,642 million singles
                                  and 365,209 tapes, for a total of 12,306,308 records sold in the USA during their active career.

Link:The Doors : 12 million records in USA

And yes, i agree that "Hello I Love You" is very similar to "All Day And All of The Night".

Comment

• Originally posted by Edu
                                    blackcat said:
                                    The Doors first hit record was "Hello I Love You"
                                    No, The-Doors's first hit single, and their biggest, with sales of 927,140 copies by December 1971 in USA, was their first single "Light My Fire".
                                    That single belongs to their first album, "The Doors", which also by December 1971 had sold 1,234,919 copies (presently is RIAA certified for 4 million copies shipped since 2007, 40 years after its original release). This album is their best selling album ever in USA.

By December 1971, The Doors had sold 4,190,457 million albums, 7,750,642 million singles
                                    and 365,209 tapes, for a total of 12,306,308 records sold in the USA during their active career.

Link:The Doors : 12 million records in USA

And yes, i agree that "Hello I Love You" is very similar to "All Day And All of The Night".
                                    Oh, my apologies, well the similarity is there, whichever order the "Hello I Love You" single was released in. A lot more than a similiarity, I would suggest!!

Comment

• Originally posted by teenwildlife
                                      Can't hear any Jim Morrison influence on Lust For Life - certainly a Bowie influence!
                                      Ah, but as you well know, Bowie was very heavily influenced by the K...........whoops!! Sorry Humpers!!!

Comment

Elvis in the sixties did what Tom Parker told him to do... ya know,great movements of the time like Harem Scarum,Kissin Cousins,Easy Come Easy Go and a lot of classic songs that barely made the top 40.Why is it that this is a Beatle thread site and I am forever reading about the musical brilliance of the Kinks,Elvis and a few others I won't even bother to mention.
                                        Don't worry bigred, when those remasters are released in 2 weeks time, you will hear about nothing else but The Beatles on this thread!!!

By the way, what about the film "Flaming Star", starring Elvis? Excellent film, watchable all the way through.

Comment

• Ah, but as you well know, Bowie was very heavily influenced by the K...........whoops!! Sorry Humpers!!!
                                          Bowie heavily influenced by the K....?

The Kooks? No it can't be them. Kate Bush? No. Blackcat I like the banter.

I'm sure Bowie was influenced and admired the Beatles even if he hasn't stated it directly. I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have credited them over the years in one interview or another. I don't think he would have recorded with Lennon if he didn't respect their body of work.

I remember reading 'Revolution in the Head', a brilliant book by Ian Mcdonald (sadly no longer with us) who stated that Bowie was the only artist who compared with the Beatles in terms of musical creativity. Bowie was/is indeed a great artist.

Comment

• Argentina
                                            weekly shipments chart
                                            16/08/2009 22/08/2009

tw lw lw2 title
                                            (ARTIST)

16 - - One
                                            (THE BEATLES)
                                            Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

Sadly,yes,I do know most of the movie titles,and worse still,I have actually seen a fair amount of them (although not all the way through,I have to change the channel after about 7-8 minutes).
                                              Ha ha! Wasn't it Mr Lennon that said Elvis died when he joined the army. I can say, very proudly, that I have never watched an elvis film in it's entirety. I do switch over long before the 7-8 minutes is up. Elvis, though a talented singer, certainly had an army of sycophants around him.
                                              Sycophants is right Humpers, Lennon was wrong and King Creole is a great movie..."You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck!"
                                              Elvis as Danny Fisher!

Someone mentioned Bowie being influenced by The Beatles... how could he or anyone else in the industry fail to be? But, was he not more influenced by the acid rock brigade such as Iggy Pop - check out his earlier version of China Girl for example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edu
                                                From RIAA Gold & Platinum database

Artist DOORS, THE
                                                Title LIGHT MY FIRE
                                                Certification Date 09/11/1967
                                                Label ELEKTRA
                                                Award Description GOLD
                                                Format SINGLE
                                                Category GROUP
                                                Type ST
                                                Gold record = Over million copies shipped.

Comment

• i'm very surprised about the DOORS album sales:they are very low :-? even for december 71.on the opposite,7.5 million singles sales are a bit high IMO
                                                  priestmaniac

Comment

• jrh06 said
                                                    i'm very surprised about the DOORS album sales:they are very low ... even for december 71.on the opposite,7.5 million singles sales are a bit high IMO
                                                    If you follow the link you will see that these sales appear in an report made by Elektra attorneys for a suit against Elektra president at the time.
                                                    So they are the real thing, just like those from Kronemyer, also resulting from a suit applied by the Beatles against EMI/Capitol.

And the 1.2 million for their debut album fits perfectly with the later certificatiosn by Elektra through the years.

Selling 4 million albums in about 4 years in USA in those times is not bad at all. After all the Doors were not so popular as the Beatles...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X