Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beatles have just been awarded their 44th Gold Disc for

The Capitol Albums Vol 2.

Their total audited US album sales are now 130,975,000 (note: all multi-disc sales are only counted once).

Also, this week Billboard reported that total soundscan sales were

51.3m - However, Hanboo provided us with this figure a month ago!!

They also gave rounded-up figures for 5 catalogue titles.

One - 10.5m
    Anthology Vol 1 - 3.7m
    Abbey Road - 3.6m
    Sgt Pepper - 3.5m
    The Beatles - 3.0m

Again, Hanboo provided fuller figures for these and others recently.

I've updated their US Album Sales list - second post on Page One.
    See Page One of my threads for all updates

Comment

• Hello,
      Yes, in the 1984 Edition of, 'The Book Of Million Sellers', it says that 'Fernando' sold a UK Million. This was wrong of course, as it sold over 700,000, but less than 800,000.

The Book also has no ABBA Million Selling Singles, after 'Chiquitita' - even though, several of their Hits were Top 5 in so many Countries that they must have reached a Million Sale, with some of them - 'The Winner Takes It All', to name but one. It says that, 'The Name of The Game', (1977), did not sell a Global Million either, but it sold over 700,000 in the UK, and well over 400,000 in the USA - and they were just 2 Countries that it was a Hit in. The 'Super Trouper' Single sold over a Million with just its UK & West German Sales added together - it was also Number 1 - or Top 3 - all over most of Western Europe.

It also says, (by leaving it out), that the 'Voulez Vous' Album by ABBA, was not a Global Million Seller. It sold well over 600,000 in the UK, over 500,000 in West Germany, & over 500,000 in the USA - then you have to add in its other European Sales, plus its Australian Sales, its South & Central American Sales, (where, (1979), ABBA had just become very big), and its Japanese Sales - where it was a Number 1 Album.

Colin

Comment

• Zeuss! I have the 1978 edition and that clearly states Donny Osmond's "Puppy Love" sold over 2 Million in the UK!

Comment

• Was this figure corrected in the 1984 edition, or just re-printed?

It might just be a typographical error instead of a deliberate miscalculation by Murrells.

Comment

• Hello,
            I have the 1984 Edition, (Joseph Murrells Book), before me, now. Here is what it says, (the relevent part), about, 'Puppy Love', by Donny Osmond:,

(Page 353)

'This revival of a Paul Anka song was a fantastic hit for Donny of The Osmonds, and was reported to have sold over 3 million in the U.S.A. alone plus a further two million in Britain'.

Me again! - It 'only' got to Number 3 in the USA - 10 Weeks in the Top 40 - hardly the Peak Position, & time in the Top 40, of a 3 Million USA Seller.

It was not in the Top 20 USA Best Sellers of 1972, or in the Top 50 USA Best Sellers of the 1970's.

It was a UK Number 1, & the 3rd Best Seller of 1972. It was the 23rd Best Seller of the 1970's, in the UK.

It clearly did not sell 3 Million in the USA - and certainly not even 1 Million in the UK - let alone 2 Million.....

Colin

Comment

• Indeed! Many reports in music papers of the 60's & early 70's cannot be totally relied on in many cases! Most of their data came from Publicists who professed to have gleaned Record Company figures! That era was a `Sharkpool` the number of scams/rip-offs/false accounting/lost royalties et al that went on, make getting true sales figures for that era a virtual impossibility!

Comment

• So Capitol finally released The Capitol Albums Vol 2.

This still leaves 4 US only Capitol Albums that will hopefully make up Vol 3 sometime, namely,

A Hard Day's Night (1964)
                Yesterday and Today (1966)
                Revolver (1966)
                Hey Jude (1970)

It would also be nice to see

Live at the Hollywood Bowl on CD.

And why not a follow up to One, i.e.

BeatlesTwo!

Can't think of any other "new" releases, although the existing CD catalogue which dates from 1987 could do with remastering (or even remixing a la Yellow Submarine Songtrack).

Any Outtake stuff would be best done via downloads.

What do Beatles Fans think??

Comment

• The only one I would be interested in would be Live at the Holywood Bowl CD. No more outakes please.
                  I would also like the entire studio albums remastered/remixed. Yellow Submarine Songtrack was a vast improvement.
                  Also I would like to see all the songs from the Anthology Soundtrack put on a DVD, just the music without the chat.
                  Finally I would like to see all their CDs re-issued and sold for 5 each. (Just look at the Woolworths cheap CD chart, with classic albums going for as little as 3).

Comment

• Hi asm

I've been trying to reply to your PM but it won't go through - keeps going into the Outbox and not the Sentbox. I don't know why.

Regarding EMI files, Demitri posted this last year.

Originally posted by Demitri
                    I was fortunate in having access to the vast EMI Archives. In the 60s EMI was virtually the only international record company (apart from Philips, which was much smaller then.) It released almost every million seller of the decade at least somewhere in the world, if not in the UK. EMI represented all the other record companies somewhere as even major companies did not have the international chain of subsidiaries that they do now. For example, EMI sold more records for Decca, in territories where they were the licensee, than Decca sold for themselves.

I therefore had access to EMI sales figures. These were based on royalty payments and were therefore accurate. The royalties department was then on the same site as the Archives, so I could check these. The documents I saw were not intended for publication, of course. Record companies were very secretive in the 60s.

EMI were very honest and paid their artists what they were due, unlike most American record companies. I interviewed Alan Klein in New York in the early 1990s. He had started his career as an accountant who found unpaid royalties for artists, mainly African Americans, who had been cheated by record companies. He only got paid out of the under-payments he found. He told me he came to England in the 60s to audit EMI and could not find a single penny owing.
                    It seems Alan Klein could find nothing wrong.

You have to assume Senior Managers at EMI always knew what their artists were selling.

Question is, does this information still exist now?

Could it be audited by the BPI for certifications?

Comment

• Hello,
                      I gather that The Beatles Music has been altered/remixed/enhanced, in some way for a USA Stage Show that has just opened. I am not sure of the full details. I think that the Show uses all or part of over 100 Beatles Songs!

One Critic says that the way they have been enhanced makes them sound clearer - and better - than ever before. He praises, 'Tomorrow Never Knows', especially. (I THINK I have got that Title right - I am not a Beatles expert). So, the Show has not ruined the Songs. They are Beatles originals & NOT other people singing the Songs - which is what has happened to ABBA's songs in the 'Mamma Mia!', Musical.

Anyhow, the Show is getting great reviews, and it seems that an Album of Beatles Remixes, (or whatever) - I am not sure - will be out by Christmas. A Critic said it will be a Number 1 Album. We will see. It is also said that George Martin has embarked on a, 'Remix Project', of many Beatles Tracks, in, 'The Archives', at Abbey Road - and that they will be released too - sooner or later.

IF this happens, Beatles Fans are very lucky. I am an ABBA Fan, and Benny & Bjorn will not allow anyone to Remix any ABBA Songs - nor will they do it themselves. They say that Remixing them is:, 'Like saying we never got them right in the first place'.

So, we never get ABBA Remixes. Instead, we just get endless Compilations of ABBA Singles, or Re-issues of the ABBA Songs that we bought Years ago.

So, at least the remaining 2 Beatles, & George Martin, are willing to give Beatles Fans something different to buy, & to listen to - by altering old Beatles Tracks!

Zeus555

Comment

• Basil! I have received your `Message` in my inbox! Four Times! As I replied in personal messages-Dimitri informed me he had no luck in finding many of EMI sales EG Ken Dodd! seems EMI have `Lost` all info on "Tears". Beatles figures may well be all there-but Dimitri did not find any evidence of "Pepper" passing 1.000.000 in 1968-I specifically asked him on this! As far as he; Joseph Murrellls and Mark Lewisohn could accertain-it was the interest generated by the two Double sets in 1973 ("62-66 & 67-70") which finally engendered a boost on sales for "Pepper" to take it past the Seven figure tally in 1973! With Alan Klein, he certainly made sure very specific sales figures were given post from the start of his managerial stint with the group-but I have seen no evidence that he was able to get backdated updated pre 1969! In fact it wasn't until many years after Klein had severed ties with the Group that the True US sales figures of "Abbey Road" were found! EMI in UK would have production figures to hand, but definate sales figures never seemed to surface much in the 60's! Even the Staid and honest EMI got into a mess in that era!

Comment

• Originally posted by asm
                          Please don't go by everything Murrels reports!
                          Yes... Some of what Murrells reports has been proven inaccurate. A guy I know who works for Joel Whitburn's Record Research, which publishes all the Billboard chart books, told me a lot of what was in Murrells was "highly questionable."

Not that Murrells made up anything, but there are instances I can cite where (non-Beatle) singles Murrells claims were million sellers have since been shown in record company files to have not even pressed that many copies.

Comment

• REVOLVER (British CD version) is back in the US album charts at #196.
                            Scans were almost 5,200 units (a jump of 144%) to a total of 1,718,000.

The last time the album (US version) charted was February 1968.

What would have caused this? The new musical?

Comment

• The earlier posts about author Bruce Spizer publishing the sales totals for the Vee Jay singles got me curious about "She Loves You" on the Swan label. Murrells claims 3 million, but I'm skeptical about his book, as I posted.

So I did a little Googling and found out Spizer is preparing another book on the Beatles' Swan and other label recordings, and I contacted Spizer by email through his website, inquiring if any documents had surfaced showing US sales of "She Loves You."

Here is his reply:

"The best estimate I have for She Loves You is sales of over 2.5 million. That is from the son of one of the former owners of Swan Records. I think that is probably an accurate amount based on chart position, etc."

So... not exactly proof, but a second testimonial to its selling over 2 million.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hanboo
                                REVOLVER (British CD version) is back in the US album charts at #196.

Interesting!
                                Could it be due to some 40 year anniversary campaign?
                                Did the rest of their catalog have sales increases this week too?
                                Top Catalog Albums of the Soundscan era

Let there be rock!

Comment

Maybe the new MOJO special on the album was the cause?

Do you know why Billboard used to chart Revolver in the "Pop Catalog" albums chart, not in the regular Top 200, whenever it sold well enough? What are the rules again?

Usually this album should be charting in the Catalog charts only, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Herkenrath
                                    Originally posted by Hanboo

Maybe the new MOJO special on the album was the cause?
                                    MOJO? Isn't that a British magazine?

Do you know why Billboard used to chart Revolver in the "Pop Catalog" albums chart, not in the regular Top 200, whenever it sold well enough? What are the rules again?

Usually this album should be charting in the Catalog charts only, right?
                                    I thought everybody here was familiar with the Billboard Comprehensive album chart, which includes current and catalog albums.
                                    I was referring to that chart when I mentioned that Revolver was back in the charts.

Of course it's also back on the Catalog album chart (#20) - for the first time since 2001.

Comment

• Not only is Revolver number 20 in the Catalog chart (peak:13, 103 weeks, RIAA 5 million) but Beatles 1 is also at number 12 (peak: 1, 294 weeks, RIAA 10 million).

Would sales of 1 be about 6,000 this week with 10,000 sales for the number one position in the Catalog chart?

Comment

• In reply to zeus about The Beatles remixed songs - I wonder if EMI in this country is also thinking of releasing some of these remixes in single form? Elvis had a run of number ones with old reissued singles last year, and one remix in 2002, wonder if The Beatles record company might do the same.
                                        They did not sell many, but they were one of the best - God save the Kinks!

Comment

• Originally posted by brian05
                                          Not only is Revolver number 20 in the Catalog chart (peak:13, 103 weeks, RIAA 5 million) but Beatles 1 is also at number 12 (peak: 1, 294 weeks, RIAA 10 million).

Would sales of 1 be about 6,000 this week with 10,000 sales for the number one position in the Catalog chart?
                                          1 scanned 7,050 units this week; the #1 catalog album moved 11,817.

Comment

It's also sold in America. Think about the many U.S. Beatles fans, it is one of the reasons they regularly issue a Beatles special.

I thought everybody here was familiar with the Billboard Comprehensive album chart, which includes current and catalog albums.
                                            I was referring to that chart when I mentioned that Revolver was back in the charts.

Of course it's also back on the Catalog album chart (#20) - for the first time since 2001.
                                            I lost interest in Billboard's charts years ago. Can't keep up with the 473 different charts they publish thus I was anaware they have a comprehensive albums chart next to the Billboard 200.

Comment

It's also sold in America. Think about the many U.S. Beatles fans, it is one of the reasons they regularly issue a Beatles special.
                                              I really don't think a magazine special can send an album, any album into the charts.
                                              I thought you referred to a TV special.

[quote:31odxe27]I thought everybody here was familiar with the Billboard Comprehensive album chart, which includes current and catalog albums.

I lost interest in Billboard's charts years ago. Can't keep up with the 473 different charts they publish thus I was anaware they have a comprehensive albums chart next to the Billboard 200.[/quote:31odxe27]
                                              In my view, the comprehensive albums chart is the most important of all charts published by Billboard.

Comment

I really don't think a magazine special can send an album, any album into the charts.
                                                But it sold only about 5,000 copies. Could well be that a certain amount of the people that bought the Mojo Special bought the Revolver CD out of curiosity.

In my view, the comprehensive albums chart is the most important of all charts published by Billboard.
                                                I agree, a chart that does not exclude albums (for whatever reasons) is the real deal. But do the chart book compilers look at it the same way? I think the Billboard 200 is what we get to see printed in the chart books, which is unfortunate.

Comment

But it sold only about 5,000 copies. Could well be that a certain amount of the people that bought the Mojo Special bought the Revolver CD out of curiosity.

I agree, a chart that does not exclude albums (for whatever reasons) is the real deal. But do the chart book compilers look at it the same way? I think the Billboard 200 is what we get to see printed in the chart books, which is unfortunate.
                                                  Mojo must sell well in the USA because a lot of readers letters are from there.

So some magazine effect, plus the new musical, plus pure statistical "blip"?

This new musical has been getting stunning reviews in the UK press - The Times, for example.

Seems like George Martin and his son have done quite a job constructing the Soundtrack. Will be released in the Autumn, so should be intriguing.

As their catalogue was last re-mastered in 1987, isn't it time it was revamped? Results on the Yellow Submarine Songtrack were good, and if the reviews are to believed, now excellent for this new musical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Basil
                                                    As their catalogue was last re-mastered in 1987, isn't it time it was revamped?
                                                    Reports are that they are remastering the entire catalog, and will supposedly start re-releasing them in the fall. I read that on the Steve Hoffman website, which has some of the most knowledgable Beatles experts on the Net. Rumor has it each CD will contain both the mono and stereo versions of each British album, like the recent Capitol Albums box sets.

Comment

• Originally posted by superbu
                                                      Originally posted by Basil
                                                      As their catalogue was last re-mastered in 1987, isn't it time it was revamped?
                                                      Reports are that they are remastering the entire catalog, and will supposedly start re-releasing them in the fall. I read that on the Steve Hoffman website, which has some of the most knowledgable Beatles experts on the Net. Rumor has it each CD will contain both the mono and stereo versions of each British album, like the recent Capitol Albums box sets.
                                                      Thanks superbu.

If this proves correct it will be excellent.... and well overdue.

The musical soundtrack to Love is due in the autumn for sure.

Comment

• Of course they couldn't think up a more wussy name than "Love"...

Comment

• There's a neat charts and sales section at wikipedia regarding the Beatles.

Check it out

Comment

• Basil, do you really think Abbey road has sold 3.2 million? In the 1967-87 Best sellers chart it had a low chart position, with sales of around 750,000 - 800,000. It can't have sold more than 3 milluion. That figure is just something Q magazine came up with a few years ago.

Comment

• Beatles - 1
                                                              2000 --- 1,606,641
                                                              2001 --- 694,003
                                                              2002 --- 84,315
                                                              2003 --- 110,677
                                                              2004 --- 91,794
                                                              2005 --- 70,817
                                                              2006 --- 23,692
                                                              Toal Sales --- 2,681,939

Revolver --- Shop Sales
                                                              1992 --- 13264 --- From July Onwards
                                                              1993 --- 22377
                                                              1994 --- 21172
                                                              1995 --- 36906
                                                              1996 --- 49001
                                                              1997 --- 48967
                                                              1998 --- 62158
                                                              1999 --- 48017
                                                              2000 --- 38483
                                                              2001 --- 31528
                                                              2002 --- 26783
                                                              2003 --- 22646
                                                              2004 --- 24654
                                                              2005 --- 15543
                                                              2006 --- 8176
                                                              Total Sales --- 469,675

Revolver --- Music Club Sales
                                                              1993 --- 4825
                                                              1994 --- 3504
                                                              1995 --- 9661
                                                              1996 --- 21272
                                                              1997 --- 18269
                                                              1998 --- 5583
                                                              1999 --- 6706
                                                              2000 --- 6315
                                                              2001 --- 3033
                                                              2002 --- 1742
                                                              2003 --- 956
                                                              2004 --- 296
                                                              2005 --- 294
                                                              2006 --- 39
                                                              Total Sales --- 82,495

Revolver --- Total Sales
                                                              1992 --- 13264 --- From July Onwards
                                                              1993 --- 27202
                                                              1994 --- 24676
                                                              1995 --- 46567
                                                              1996 --- 70273
                                                              1997 --- 67236
                                                              1998 --- 67741
                                                              1999 --- 54723
                                                              2000 --- 44798
                                                              2001 --- 34561
                                                              2002 --- 28525
                                                              2003 --- 23602
                                                              2004 --- 24950
                                                              2005 --- 15837
                                                              2006 --- 8215
                                                              Total Sales --- 552,170

Abbey Road --- Shop Sales
                                                              1992 --- 14673 --- From July Onwards
                                                              1993 --- 31460
                                                              1994 --- 28390
                                                              1995 --- 38899
                                                              1996 --- 49209
                                                              1997 --- 63000
                                                              1998 --- 50068
                                                              1999 --- 48296
                                                              2000 --- 39723
                                                              2001 --- 30123
                                                              2002 --- 24755
                                                              2003 --- 29687
                                                              2004 --- 21981
                                                              2005 --- 16100
                                                              2006 --- 7091
                                                              Total sales --- 493,455

Abbey Road --- Music Club Sales
                                                              1993 --- 7019
                                                              1994 --- 9405
                                                              1995 --- 10923
                                                              1996 --- 22229
                                                              1997 --- 18023
                                                              1998 --- 10700
                                                              1999 --- 13599
                                                              2000 --- 3605
                                                              2001 --- 2652
                                                              2002 --- 1454
                                                              2003 --- 676
                                                              2004 --- 250
                                                              2005 --- 328
                                                              Total sales --- 100,863

Abbey Road --- Total Sales
                                                              1992 --- 14673 --- From July Onwards
                                                              1993 --- 38479
                                                              1994 --- 37795
                                                              1995 --- 49822
                                                              1996 --- 71438
                                                              1997 --- 81023
                                                              1998 --- 60768
                                                              1999 --- 61895
                                                              2000 --- 43328
                                                              2001 --- 32775
                                                              2002 --- 26209
                                                              2003 --- 30363
                                                              2004 --- 22231
                                                              2005 --- 16428
                                                              2006 --- 7091
                                                              Total Sales --- 594,318

Comment

Working...
                                                              X