Kate Bush :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BushBoy
    While some of these may not be accurate, weeks spent on the chart by Kate's albums should look more like this:

The Kick Inside - 72
    Lionheart - 37
    Never For Ever - 24
    The Dreaming - 11
    Hounds Of Love - 72
    The Whole Story - 245
    The Sensual World - 23
    The Red Shoes - 18
    Aerial - 28
    Director's Cut - 14
    50 Words For Snow - 17
    I wasn't far off last week. I've since managed to work out the weeks spent on the chart by checking various sources.

The Kick Inside - 74
    Lionheart - 38
    Never For Ever - 25
    The Dreaming - 12
    Hounds Of Love - 72
    The Whole Story - 246
    The Sensual World - 24
    The Red Shoes - 22
    Aerial - 29
    Director's Cut - 15
    50 Words For Snow - 18

Comment

• Originally posted by floria
      6 THE WHOLE STORY KATE BUSH RHINO
      9 HOUNDS OF LOVE KATE BUSH FISH PEOPLE
      20 50 WORDS FOR SNOW KATE BUSH FISH PEOPLE
      24 THE KICK INSIDE KATE BUSH RHINO
      26 THE SENSUAL WORLD KATE BUSH FISH PEOPLE
      37 THE DREAMING KATE BUSH FISH PEOPLE
      38 NEVER FOR EVER KATE BUSH RHINO
      40 LIONHEART KATE BUSH RHINO
      43 AERIAL KATE BUSH FISH PEOPLE
      44 DIRECTOR'S CUT KATE BUSH FISH PEOPLE
      49 THE RED SHOES KATE BUSH FISH PEOPLE
      PRAISE KATESUS!!!!
      "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• Such a living legend. I'm so happy to see this amount of albums in the Top 50 of UK Charts.

Comment

• Last week's sales info from Music Week:

The media event of the week was unquestionably the start of veteran singer/songwriter Kate Bush's 22 night run at the Hammersmith Apollo. Light on hits but high on critical acclaim, the shows created a massive amount of publicity, and it is no surprise to find that compilation The Whole Story and all 10 of Bush's studio albums - which returned to the list a week ago - continue to climb the chart. Eight Bush albums are now in the Top 40 and all 11 are in the Top 50 - records for a female solo artist, although Elvis Presley had 12 albums in the Top 40 the week after his death in 1977, the Beatles had 11 the week after their catalogue was released in newly remastered form in 2009, and Michael Jackson had nine albums in the Top 40 (actually the Top 17) a couple of weeks after his death in 2009.

Leading the Bush charge, 1986 number one The Whole Story jumps 15-6 (12,698 sales) to make its first appearance in the Top 10 since 1987. Also on the move are: Hounds Of Love (29-9, 7,981 sales), 50 Words For Snow (83-20, 3,686 sales), The Kick Inside (87-24, 3,438 sales), The Sensual World (93-26, 3,041 sales), The Dreaming (139-37, 2,212 sales), Never For Ever (140-38, 2,181 sales), Lionheart (157-40, 2,075 sales), Aerial (153-43, 2,026 sales), Director's Cut (163-44, 2,001 sales) and The Red Shoes (155-49, 1,874 sales). Seven songs by Bush are in the Top 200 singles chart: Running Up That Hill (164-51, 6,380 sales), Wuthering Heights (number 57, 5,737 sales), This Woman's Work (186-80, 4,118 sales), Babooshka (number 115, 2,917 sales), The Man With The Child In His Eyes (number 122, 2,670 sales), Hounds Of Love (number 152, 2,177 sales) and Cloudbusting (number 180, 1,858 sales).

Comment

• Quite alarming how bad UK sales are at the moment.

If I've done my math correctly, those 11 albums sold combined a mere 43,213 copies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne
              Quite alarming how bad UK sales are at the moment.

If I've done my math correctly, those 11 albums sold combined a mere 43,213 copies.
              What were you expecting? Only 2 of them made the top 10 and not even the top 5... Sales are quite fine if you ask me, at least in the top regions: The No. 1 album sold more than 60k, the entire top 5 more than 20k, the No. 10 album more than 7k. We've had much weaker sales during some of the weeks this year...
              Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmy94
                Originally posted by Wayne

What were you expecting? Only 2 of them made the top 10 and not even the top 5... Sales are quite fine if you ask me, at least in the top regions: The No. 1 album sold more than 60k, the entire top 5 more than 20k, the No. 10 album more than 7k. We've had much weaker sales during some of the weeks this year...
                It's a bit less than I was expecting - mainly because like you said, the top 5 is pretty healthy [which in a typical market, would make the lower echelons of the chart a bit healthier than usual].

But that aside - the bottom line is that 11 albums sold combined less than 45k, despite all being in the top 50 - that is a tragedy, no matter how you dress it.

Comment

• That means that each sold 4k on average, not that unrealistic if you ask me and not automatically a sign of notably low sales.
                  Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• ^^^ Yeah, the figures are fine considering the market (lord knows we've had more terrible weeks), but the market is exactly the thing that's in a terrible state. It wasn't that long ago that for a top ten to be seen as healthy the #10 album should sell at least 10k, and now that's pretty much the exception than the rule.

But yes, the number one sold a great figure, nothing terrible about that at all, and the top five looks fine. It gets progressively worse the lower you go.

Comment

• Either way, it's a great accomplishment. I won't be sad about it. It is what it is. Americans, we're getting used to it...
                      "Crime is increasing
                      Trigger happy policing..."
                      -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

Comment

Your maths is correct.
                        http://nobilliards.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- Brilliant blog about all the UK No 1 albums.

Comment

• Originally posted by BushBoy

I wasn't far off last week. I've since managed to work out the weeks spent on the chart by checking various sources.

The Kick Inside - 74
                          Lionheart - 38
                          Never For Ever - 25
                          The Dreaming - 12
                          Hounds Of Love - 72
                          The Whole Story - 246
                          The Sensual World - 24
                          The Red Shoes - 22
                          Aerial - 29
                          Director's Cut - 15
                          50 Words For Snow - 18
                          Thanks for this. I'll make a note in the OCC Chart thread.

Have you got totals for the singles? The week count on RUTH on OCC Site is for the remix (10 weeks) and WH seems too low as well (11 weeks). Also why do they only list The Whole Story as having 172 weeks on top 200? When the list Wayne posted contradicted that total? http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/ HOL only has 21 weeks listed on OCC site which is also far lower than what Wayne posted. The total for The Red Shoes on OCC is also the complete total and not just for the reissue which is odd! I assumed the discrepancy on HOL was down to a reissue but TWS having a year and a half's total missing from OCC listing is very strange. I see the listed label on it is Rhino so at some point over the years it must have changed hands from EMI to Rhino along with the other early albums - pre The Dreaming? I know all the others are now on Kate's own Fish People label. No longer anything to do with EMI. I didn't think TWS would have enough time to amass all those other weeks on a new label - i thought she only dumped EMI recently around Director's Cut era? Though does this article say EMI and Rhino are basically part of the same company? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhino_Entertainment So if Rhino UK started in 2006 that could be when the new run started?

Here's the Top 200 info for Kate from 1994 to 2010 - only lists EMI not Rhino label. http://www.zobbel.de/cluk/CLUK_B.HTM
                          Kate Bush

Moments Of Pleasure (EMI)
                          1994 (12.02.1994): 193 (-/0/1)

The Red Shoes (EMI)
                          1994 (23.04.1994): 42 (2/3/3)

Kate Bush & Larry Adler

The Man I Love (Mercury)
                          1994 (30.07.1994): 27 (2/4/4)

Kate Bush

And So Is Love (EMI)
                          1994 (19.11.1994): 26 (2/3/5)

THE RED SHOES (EMI)
                          1994 (8.01.1994): 20 (6/8/8) »p«

THE KICK INSIDE (EMI)
                          2002 (31.08.2002): 172 (-/1) »p«

HOUNDS OF LOVE (EMI)
                          1995 (18.02.1995): 138 (-/2) »p2«
                          2001 (13.10.2001): 46 (1/3) »p2«
                          2005 (8.10.2005): 62 (2/9)
                          2006 (8.04.2006): 176 (-/1) »p2«

THE WHOLE STORY (EMI)
                          1994 (30.04.1994): 48 (8/14/15) »p4«
                          1995 (7.01.1995): 72 (1/8) »p4«
                          1997 (15.03.1997): 99 (-/4) »p4«
                          1998 (16.05.1998): 198 (-/1) »p4«
                          1999 (27.03.1999): 113 (-/6) »p4«
                          2001 (1.09.2001): 45 (2/12) »p4«
                          2002 (5.01.2002): 105 (-/6) »p4«
                          2003 (1.03.2003): 198 (-/1) »p4«
                          2004 (20.03.2004): 98 (-/11) »p4«
                          2005 (27.08.2005): 88 (-/19) »p4«
                          2006 (14.01.2006): 74 (1/32) »p4«
                          2007 (17.02.2007): 94 (-/12) »p4«

THE SENSUAL WORLD (EMI)
                          2005 (26.11.2005): 130 (-/2)

¥HOUNDS OF LOVE (EMI)
                          2002 (27.04.2002): 22 (-/2)

§King Of The Mountain (EMI)
                          2005 (15.10.2005): 6 (1/5)

King Of The Mountain (EMI)
                          2005 (5.11.2005): 4 (6/10)
                          2006 (5.11.2005): 172 (-/3)

AERIAL (EMI)
                          2005 (19.11.2005): 3 (8/8) »p«
                          2006 (19.11.2005): 54 (7/19) »p«

§This Woman's Work (EMI)
                          2005 (26.11.2005): 8 (2/2)

Wuthering Heights (EMI)
                          2007 (24.03.2007): 173 (-/1)
                          2009 (12.09.2009): 197 (-/1)

¥THE WHOLE STORY [ri] (EMI)
                          2007 (31.03.2007): 42 (-/1)

Lyra (Universal)
                          2007 (22.12.2007): 187 (-/1)

This Woman's Work (EMI)
                          2007 (5.01.2008): 121 (-/1)
                          2008 (5.01.2008): 76 (-/3)

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini

Thanks for this. I'll make a note in the OCC Chart thread.

Have you got totals for the singles? The week count on RUTH on OCC Site is for the remix (10 weeks) and WH seems too low as well (11 weeks). Also why do they only list The Whole Story as having 172 weeks on top 200? When the list Wayne posted contradicted that total? http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/ HOL only has 21 weeks listed on OCC site which is also far lower than what Wayne posted. The total for The Red Shoes on OCC is also the complete total and not just for the reissue which is odd! I assumed the discrepancy on HOL was down to a reissue but TWS having a year and a half's total missing from OCC listing is very strange. I see the listed label on it is Rhino so at some point over the years it must have changed hands from EMI to Rhino along with the other early albums - pre The Dreaming? I know all the others are now on Kate's own Fish People label. No longer anything to do with EMI. I didn't think TWS would have enough time to amass all those other weeks on a new label - i thought she only dumped EMI recently around Director's Cut era? Though does this article say EMI and Rhino are basically part of the same company? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhino_Entertainment So if Rhino UK started in 2006 that could be when the new run started?
                            It's a mess, basically. I've no idea why there's so much confusion regarding the OCC's inability to post accurate information regarding weeks spent on the chart by certain artists/albums. Even if albums are reissued and given new catalogue numbers they should combine the total number of weeks for each album. It was done for the British Hit Albums/Singles series of books they used to release, so I see no reason why they can't do the same now. Hanboo did post Kate's chart runs up to January of last year but there's a bit of data missing for both The Kick Inside and The Red Shoes (which I've corrected in a previous post) but overall it's pretty accurate.

viewtopic.php?p=507132#p507132

I wasn't even aware that a few of Kate's albums were on the Rhino label until very recently! But yeah, I'm guessing that the change to different labels/companies is why several of Kate's albums are listed as having so few weeks on the chart. If I recall correctly EMI was bought out by Universal a few years ago so that may well be the reason for the mix up.

Comment

• Oh, i never thought to look there. With all the news about him passing, too.

Comment

• thats alot of albums tbh lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini
                                  Oh, i never thought to look there. With all the news about him passing, too.
                                  Ah well, we all lose sight of the obvious from time to time.

Comment

• Hi, there!

Anyone knows why some Kate Bush albums are on RHINO label? I know that nowadays most sales come from digital downloads but they are, looking at iTunes, on PARLOPHONE. The only reason I can think of is that Rhino distributes those Japanese re-issues (Toshiba-EMI).

Anyone?
                                    Thanks!
                                    Andrzej
                                    Andrzej

Comment

• I'll post everything from the UK that is outside of the top 100 [i.e. hasn't already been posted] from this week's UK chart + the chart history bit...

UK Singles Chart

115 [RE] Babooshka [11 wks]
                                      122 [RE] The Man With The Child In His Eyes [12 wks]
                                      152 [RE] Hounds Of Love [8 wks]
                                      180 [RE] Cloudbusting [8 wks]

Not really worth posting anything else from this week, as most of the emphasis is on her record-breaking albums chart performance!

Comment

• ^ Some of those numbers for 'weeks on chart' are different again! Lol, I give up trying to figure them out.
                                        Too many discrepancies to actually know what the real data is.

Comment

• There seems to have been so many reissues - its difficult to track. Hounds of Love for e.g. has been reissued twice - that's 3 different versions that have charted, ridiculous.

Comment

There seems to have been so many reissues - its difficult to track. Hounds of Love for e.g. has been reissued twice - that's 3 different versions that have charted, ridiculous.
                                            Yeah, all very confusing indeed. Even Cloudbusting is now listed as having spent eight weeks on the chart in total due to its re-entry, yet on Hanboo's Chart Analysis page it's listed as charting for eight weeks during its initial run! Still, thanks for posting the info anyway. Maybe one day they'll get it right, lol.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/BrianUkulele/status ... 3711867904

Comment

• Here are some of the UK Album Chart Facts & Feats that Kate achieved this Week.

1) Until Kate had 8 Albums in this Week's UK Top 40 no Female had,
                                                had more than 3 Albums in the Top 40 at the same time.

2) Kate has 3 Albums in the Top 20, (6, 9 & 20). She is only the 3rd
                                                Solo Female to manage it. Joan Baez did it for 10 consecutive Weeks
                                                in 1965, & Amy Winehouse did it for 1 Week in 2011. (Amy's 3 were
                                                all in the Top 10 - 1, 5 & 10 - and she is the only Female Singer to
                                                place 3 Top 10 Albums in the same Chart).

4) Kate's 11 Hit Albums were all in this Week's Top 50. She is beaten
                                                only by Elvis Presley in 1977, (13), & The Beatles in 2009, (12).

5) Kate now holds the UK Chart Record for the 'Living' Artist with
                                                the most Top 50 Albums at the same time - 11. She is way ahead
                                                of any other 'Living' Artist. Bruce Springsteen is 2nd - 7 Top 50
                                                Albums at the same time in July 1985. (U2 are the only 'Living',
                                                (not split up), Group to manage as many as 6 Top 50 Albums in
                                                the same Chart. They did it in 1992).

6) And her 8 simultaneous Top 40 Albums are way ahead of any other
                                                'Living' Act. No previous 'Living' Act has had more than 5 Top 40 Albums
                                                in the same Chart. There are 6 such Acts. (By 'Living' Acts I don't just
                                                mean an Act who is still alive. I also mean a Duo or Group who had
                                                not split up when they achieved 5 Top 40 Albums at the same time.
                                                These are Simon & Garfunkel in 1968 & U2 in 1993).

7) Kate's 11 Top 75 Albums easily beat Madonna, who previously held
                                                that Chart Record for a Female Singer. She had 4 simultaneous Top 75
                                                Albums, for 2 consecutive Weeks, in March 1995.

So, Kate certainly broke numerous UK Album Chart Records this Week.

Her Chart Records were mentioned all over the UK Media, & there
                                                were 2 laughably ignorant comments about her on the 'Daily Mail'
                                                Site. One fellow insisted that Kate is a 'One Hit Wonder' - by which
                                                he meant 'Wuthering Heights'. In fact she has had 26 Top 40 Hits!
                                                (ABBA have had 26 UK Top 40 Hits too, & no-one calls them 'One
                                                Hit Wonders'!). And an Australian fellow refused to believe that
                                                anyone can have 8 Top 40 Albums in the same Chart, & he said
                                                that Kate's achievement means that the UK Charts are 'rigged'!

Zeus555

Comment

• ^ Thanks for the info.

Comment

• UK top 100 album chart:

#09 The Whole Story
                                                    #20 Hounds Of Love
                                                    #30 Aerial
                                                    #31 50 Words For Snow
                                                    #39 The Sensual World
                                                    #42 The Kick Inside
                                                    #45 The Red Shoes