• 03 Feb 2012

Kisses on the bottom new at no. 5 Holland

Comment

• brian05
      Superstar
      • 03 Aug 2005

Source: Music Week
      Friday February 10, 2012 By Paul Williams

Paul McCartney looks poised for his highest-charting non-Beatles album for nearly a decade and a half with Kisses On The Bottom heading for the UK top three this weekend. The Hear Music/Mercury album has been showing up as a new entry at number three in the midweeks all week and by the end of business on Thursday had sold nearly 18,000 copies, according to the Official Charts Company. If it stays in this position by the time the full-week chart is published on Sunday it will be McCartney’s highest-charting album outside The Beatles since Flaming Pie debuted and peaked at no. 2 in 1997.

Comment

• janmaccazwan
        • 03 Feb 2012

no.9 in in Norway

Comment

• blackbird
          Legend
          • 19 Jan 2010

Official UK Albums Top 100 - 18th February 2012

TW | LW | WOC | Title | Artist (Label)
          3 new 1 Kisses On The Bottom Paul McCartney (HearMusic)

Comment

• blackbird
            Legend
            • 19 Jan 2010

McCartney At MusiCares
            The Lefsetz Letter

This is music’s greatest night. If they dropped a bomb on the L.A. Convention Center, they’d have to start all over, the entire infrastructure of the mainstream music business would be wiped out. And you might not think that’s a bad thing, but the old days are through, the labels no longer dominate, and it’s not only business people in attendance, but stars too.

Neil Young was eating with his bride at the next table over. Katy Perry sat down on my right with that giant flower on her head. Chris Martin came by to watch with her. Being labelmates, they’re family.

As for conversation, there just was not enough time. Whether it be with Rob Light in the auction room after a heart to heart with Jason Mraz or during the show by the bathroom with Rob Stringer, everywhere you turned there was someone you knew, in a good mood, the gloves are taken off for an evening.

And speaking of the bathroom… Before the show, that’s where I saw Hugh Hefner. He wasn’t walking that well and all I wanted to do was put my arm around him and say it’s okay to be old, that he could have stayed home in his pajamas and been grandpa and that would have been cool.

As for the music, McCartney BLEW EVERYBODY ELSE OFF THE STAGE!

After an introduction by the Cirque du Soleil acrobats, Paul and his band took the stage with a blistering rendition of "Magical Mystery Tour." This was like being jetted back to your high school bedroom, but having all of your dreams come true. It was mindbending, you couldn’t help but smile. These songs are in our DNA and he couldn’t have done it any better. We just weren’t prepared.

And then he played "Junior’s Farm."

I’m a fan. And it’s great to hear the hits, but when semi-obscure nuggets are revealed you feel that he’s playing just for you. And I think he was, since most people in attendance sat down. But it wasn’t as bad as it was during "1985." You know, the last track on "Band On The Run"! Well, turns out most people didn’t know. Paul’s banging the notes out on the piano and I’m in college, my whole life is scrolling by in my head, it’s the essence of rock and roll.

But almost everybody else… Wasn’t so good.

Duane Eddy did a killer take on "And I Love Her," Diana Krall revealed the subtleties in "For No One" and James Taylor needed no teleprompter for "Yesterday."

Yes, most of the acts were reading the lyrics, which made their performances somewhat perfunctory, the less said the better.

Except for Neil Young.

He took the stage with Crazy Horse. And did a turn on "I Saw Her Standing There" that took you right back to the basement, back in ‘64, after you bought "Meet The Beatles" and a guitar and began to play too. I bet there wasn’t a baby boomer in the room who didn’t have this experience. It was raucous, it was all about emotion, it garnered a standing ovation.

But once again, when Paul took the stage, he just blew everybody away.

Yes, he played some new material, and I’d love to tell you it killed, but…

But he did play the medley from the second side of "Abbey Road" and jammed with Joe Walsh and Dave Grohl at the end. He was having fun.

And fun is the one thing that money can’t buy.

And this was the best MusiCares ever. And when it was all done, Scott Rodger, Paul’s manager, took us backstage to see our friend Brian Ray, and that’s when the evening truly shined.

I thought everybody was gone.

But Brian was talking to Little Steven. We got into a discussion of Van Zandt taking his Sirius channels to China.

And Abe Laboriel, Jr., whose dad played with Felice’s father, was so nice, telling me what he was up to, that he not only had his own album to do, it was almost done.

And Scott told me how McCartney cold-called him. You think you have to work it, that’s the only way you’ll be recognized, if you dun people to death. But Stella called a friend, looking for help, who recommended Scott, and as they say, the rest is history. Hype rarely works in today’s market, it’s all about the work, and Scott’s working ’round the clock, that’s the nature of the music business.

Then I made a brief aside to Eddie Izzard about a mutual friend and it opened the door to a conversation. Wherein Eddie told me he wrote his speech at 4 a.m. the night before. That’s how you do it! You wait until the last minute, when the pressure’s on. If he delivered the standard tribute, no one would listen. So he came up with gobbledygook, did you know Castro wanted Wings to be called "Beaks"?

And after Sam introduced me to Diana Krall and Elvis Costello, we were on our way out, hours after the show ended, and who comes striding through the room but Paul and Nancy.

So we’re shaking hands and I tell him how much I loved hearing "Junior’s Farm" and how I told Abe that the hit single was live, how rare that was, and Paul corrected me, no that’s COMING UP!

Of course he was right.

But it was one in the morning and it was so long ago and he shouldn’t have even been listening to me, he should have just been pressing the flesh.

But the greats are on it all the time.

And there’s no one greater than Paul McCartney.

Comment

• stollar
              • 27 Apr 2008

Paul MCcartney won a grammy last night,

for best historical album(Band On The Run Deluxe

Edition).

Comment

• brian05
                Superstar
                • 03 Aug 2005

From Music Week,

Paul McCartney's 33rd post-Beatles chart album, Kisses On The Bottom debuts at number three (23,849 sales), instantly becoming his highest charting solo set since 1997, when Flaming Pie reached number two. Kisses On The Bottom is 69 year old McCartney's follow-up to 2007's Memory Almost Full, which debuted and peaked at number five with first week sales of 21,246, and has so far sold 105,010 copies. Memory Almost Full was made up entirely of original songs, whereas only two of the 14 tracks on Kisses On The Bottom are McCartney compositions. The rest are covers of American standards, including It's Only A Paper Moon, I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter (source of the Kisses On The Bottom title) and Bye Bye Blackbird. The latter track, which dates from 1926, was also covered by McCartney's fellow Beatle Ringo Starr on his debut solo album Sentimental Journey in 1970. By coincidence, the two remaining Beatles released their latest albums a week apart. 71 year old Starr's Ringo 2012 - a mixture of covers, updates and new songs with a playing time of less than 29 minutes - made a less convincing debut last week, selling just 752 copies, to enter the chart at number 181. Starr's album fares better in America, where it debuts at number 80 this week, after selling 6,348 copies.

Comment

• Nackar
                  Legend
                  • 09 Feb 2011

Japan Oricon:

13 [NE] - Kisses on the Bottom - 10,182

Comment

• blackbird
                    Legend
                    • 19 Jan 2010

Paul McCartney: 'John Lennon and I had the same premonition about The Beatles' success

Comment

• blackbird
                      Legend
                      • 19 Jan 2010

Paul McCartney - Kisses On The Bottom

Comment

• janmaccazwan
                        • 03 Feb 2012

usa:-- 5 PAUL MCCARTNEY HEAR MUSIC 74,819 --
                        KISSES ON THE BOTTOM

Comment

• blackbird
                          Legend
                          • 19 Jan 2010

From Paul Grein's Chart Watch
                          Week Ending Feb. 12, 2012.

Paul McCartney first cracked the top 10 (with the Beatles' Meet The Beatles!) in February 1964.

Paul McCartney's Kisses On The Bottom debuts at #5. This is McCartney's 18th top 10 album apart from the Beatles. He has had at least one top five album in each of the last five decades. And that doesn't even count the Beatles. Add them in and we can take this back to the 1960s, giving McCartney six straight decades with a top five album.

McCartney is the second former Beatle to have hit with a collection of songs that pre-date the rock era. Ringo Starr reached #22 in 1970 with Sentimental Journey. (The two albums have one song in common: Gene Austin's 1926 classic "Bye Bye, Blackbird."). The irony, of course, is that the Beatles, more than any other single act, swept Tin Pan Alley aside; made it seem musty and old-fashioned. (Now, there's widespread acknowledgement that much of that music was stellar.)

Kisses On The Bottom includes such standards as "It's Only A Paper Moon," "The Glory Of Love," "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive" and "Always." (The album's cheeky title is drawn from the 1935 Fats Waller song, "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter," which is included on the set).

McCartney is the instant front-runner to win next year's Grammy Award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album. If he does, McCartney will become the first artist to win Grammys in both the Traditional Pop and Rock fields. (He has won two Grammys in the rock field: "Rockestra Theme" as Best Rock Instrumental Performance of 1979 and a cover of the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" as Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance of 2010.)

5. Paul McCartney, Kisses On The Bottom, 74,000. This new entry is McCartney's 18th top 10 album apart from the Beatles.

Comment

• blackbird
                            Legend
                            • 19 Jan 2010

Originally posted by janmaccazwan
                            usa:-- 5 PAUL MCCARTNEY HEAR MUSIC 74,819 --
                            KISSES ON THE BOTTOM
                            But this isn't a SoundScan figure, isn't it?

Comment

• arab
                              Legend
                              • 01 Apr 2011

Billboard 200

05. Paul McCartney - Kisses On The Botton 74,552
                              "MTV European Top 20 - 1997" SURVIVOR

​

Comment

• janmaccazwan
                                • 03 Feb 2012

Kisses on the bottom new entry at no. 19 in spain

Comment

• janmaccazwan
                                  • 03 Feb 2012

Gemany:9 Neu Kisses On The Bottom Paul McCartney

Comment

• blackbird
                                    Legend
                                    • 19 Jan 2010

Billboard 200 Albums 25/02/2012: Week Ending February 12, 2012

No | Artist | Title | TW | % | LW | RTD
                                    5 PAUL MCCARTNEY Kisses On The Bottom 74,102 999 440 74,552

Comment

• blackbird
                                      Legend
                                      • 19 Jan 2010

Current Physical Albums 25/02/2012: Week Ending February 12, 2012

No | Artist | Title | TW | % | LW | RTD
                                      4 PAUL MCCARTNEY Kisses On The Bottom 47,062 999 440 47,512

Comment

• blackbird
                                        Legend
                                        • 19 Jan 2010

Top Music Videos Retailers 25/02/2012: Week Ending February 12, 2012

No | Artist | Title | TW | % | LW
                                        36 PAUL MCCARTNEY Love We Make 189 78 106

Comment

• blackbird
                                          Legend
                                          • 19 Jan 2010

Top Music DVD's - 25/02/2012

TW | LW | WOC | Artist | Title
                                          37 re 7 PAUL MCCARTNEY Love We Make

Comment

Working...