Anyway very interesting work ;)

Leave a comment:

• borderwolf
    replied
    Thanks, chartobserver!

Leave a comment:

• lucad
    replied
    Good. I have respect too, so please don't misunderstand, just add some points. And LIVE in AUSTRALIA (1988, gold in january 1989) is probably >1.500.000; as the 500k soundscan sales were counted from 1991. And it was a good catalog seller in the 90's, for Candle in the wind solo piano hit version.

Leave a comment:

• chartobserver
    replied
    Originally posted by lucad
    Interesting Update, not official but good approximation.
    BUT:
    Elton John, Tumbleweed sells more. The point is they miss certifications.
    THE UNION is not in the LIST, and it's an Elton John Record effectively. Must be on the list, dn't know why collaborations are not counted.
    LION KING, 10xplatinum, is a soundtrack, so it's not in the list.
    Indeed nice numbers. These guys do the same we do: they put one and one together and estimate. The only difference may be, that you must have some special knowledge about certain albums to estimate correctly. Most of these sales came from a complete different period of time, long before soundscan began tracking sales.

In the case of Tumbleweed it reminds me of a column from music journalist John Tobler. In 1995 he wrote: "...this albumīs precise status has never been officially established, although it is almost certainly at least double platinum." As we know his record company made a revision of Eltonīs back catalog in the mid nineties and Tumbleweed was certified platinum three years after Toblers estimation. Both Elton John and Tumbleweed received gold shortly after their release and itīs hard to believe that solid catalog sellers didn't make some progress within more than four decades, as Tobler said it 18 years ago. In addition: Between 2004 and 2008 there has been several deluxe releases of Elton John and Tumbleweed, and in 2012 there was a reissue in form of the 5 Classic Albums 1970-1973 [Box Set]. These and others may not be tracked due to soundscan policy, but in summary you have to admit: Elton John has sold more than 1 million units in the US since 1970 and Tumbleweed got to that point before soundscan tracking.

Why? Itīs simple. You have to be careful with soundscan sales if you want to get closer to realistic estimations from older albums. The best evidence for it is Madman Across The Water. Soundscan tracked about 600k copies to date. Remember: It received platinum in 1993 and five years later it was certified double platinum for sales of 2 million in US. Considering the sales boost after the movie Almost Famous in 2000 and the fact, that16years have gone since last certification, you must assume that in 1998 soundscan sales have been far less than 600k. So what does it mean? It means that most of the 2 million copies certified in 1998 were already sold when soundscan began tracking sales in 1991. Otherwise it wouldnīt make any sense. In 1998 soundscan may have tracked 400-500k units. The implication: 1,5 million copies have been sold before 1991!

Other example: Honky Château. It was more popular than Madman until the mid nineties but it received platinum after the latter one. Why? Only the record company has the answer. The truth: Honky Château was five weeks at the top of the Charts in US and it was Eltonīs first album to remain on the Billboard Top 200 for well over a year. As the other classic albums it reached Gold status shortly after the release and after one year on the charts it already got to a summit of one million. But platinum certification was not introduced until 1976, nor multi-platinum until 1984 and so it fell into oblivion. The platinum certification in 1995 was a looong overdued act and once more soundscan sales are quite a lukewarm indicator for itīs effective sales. If Madman is at 2,5 million (I think sales are 2,2-2,3 milion), than itīs not realistic that Honky Château is 1 million behind. I cannot give an estimation for itīs correct sales because of the leck of measurable creteria, but Honky definately isnīt far behind (maybe 1,8-2,0 million).

In the end some of his albums, each hiding hundred thousands of sales. has never been certified. The Very Best of (1990) has never been released in US but itīs import sales exceed 200k (400k as double disk). I donīt know any other album, that got to the same sales range (almost gold) as an import. But i have respect for these sales information from the list mentioned above. For sure The Union is missing and there are same other albums than Number Ones to be recertified.

But I think Eltons albums sales are around 85million, so near to these estimations.

Leave a comment:

• borderwolf
    replied
    So, over 90 million, right?

Leave a comment:

• lucad
    replied
    Interesting Update, not official but good approximation.
    BUT:
    Elton John, Tumbleweed sells more. The point is they miss certifications.
    THE UNION is not in the LIST, and it's an Elton John Record effectively. Must be on the list, dn't know why collaborations are not counted.
    LION KING, 10xplatinum, is a soundtrack, so it's not in the list.

Leave a comment:

• borderwolf
    replied
    According to
    http://www.greasylake.org/the-circuit/i ... bum-sales/

TOTAL US ALBUM SALES.....................................................................80,125,000

Leave a comment:

• lucad
    replied
    Uk album charts
    #40 lw:60 32wks
    ONE NIGHT ONLY - THE GREATEST HITS
    ELTON JOHN

Leave a comment:

• mansfield
    replied
    CANADA - TOP CATALOGUE - 01/19/2013

223 ISL 8 28 29 JOHN*ELTON ROCKET MAN-NUMBER 1'S 336 9 307 161,109
    5 ROC 75 69 66 JOHN*ELTON GREATEST HITS 235 18 199 222,895

Leave a comment:

• lucad
    replied
    Top ten of top performers at Sydney Entertainment Center:

Elton John (56 shows)
    John Farnham (40)
    Billy Joel (28)
    Pink (26)
    Dire Straits (26)
    Kylie Minogue (23)
    Neil Diamond (23)
    AC/DC (17)
    INXS (17)
    U2 (16)

Leave a comment:

• lucad
    replied
    Uk album charts
    60 lw:181 31wks
    ONE NIGHT ONLY - THE GREATEST HITS
    ELTON JOHN

There MUST be a promotion i think :0

Leave a comment:

• lucad
    replied
    Last Week, Face to Face (album track) . gary barlow duet, up #142 in uk. Think it will be released this week as a single

Today, on Itunes, Candle In the Wind 1997:
    #85 France (NE)
    #334 Switzerland (NE)

Leave a comment:

• lucad
    replied
    Originally posted by mansfield
    "3 ROC 110 143 75 JOHN*ELTON GREATEST HITS 223 -28 310 222,461"

so the total would be 1.200.000 ?
    It was certified DIAMOND (10xPLAT) on Oct 19, 1988 in canada. I don't know if soundscan tracks the sales in canada from1991 as in us. but it seems it may be even more than 1.300.000

Leave a comment:

• mansfield
    replied
    "3 ROC 110 143 75 JOHN*ELTON GREATEST HITS 223 -28 310 222,461"

so the total would be 1.200.000 ?

Leave a comment:

• lucad
    replied
    Canada 5/01/14
    221wks ISL 74 40 tw;8 JOHN*ELTON ROCKET MAN-NUMBER 1'S tw:708 +2% lw:697 total: 160,466 (MUST BE 2Xplat)

ROC 110 143 75 JOHN*ELTON GREATEST HITS tw:223 -28% lw:310 total: 222,461 ( was certified 10x PLAT, needs an update)
    --
    Diving Board - certified Silver in uk (10/01/14) / 60k; GOLD in Russia (5/12/2013) / 5k

Leave a comment:

• chartobserver
    replied
    UK Charts 11th Jan

162. (RE) FACE TO FACE (Gary Barlow & Elton John)

Leave a comment:

• chartobserver
    replied
    Originally posted by lucad
    Good work, chartobs. ;) I have no time to check Now: Tiny dancer (ironik) Made n.1 in uk?
    It went #3 in uk charts

Leave a comment:

• lucad
    replied
    Good work, chartobs. ;) I have no time to check Now: Tiny dancer (ironik) Made n.1 in uk?

Leave a comment:

• chartobserver
    replied
    Part Three: After rehab (it was high time) Elton returned kind of reborn with amazing creative power in 1992. The 90s were his last decade of commercial effort. George Michael helped him for one of the best selling singles of the 90s. Sources say Donīt Let The Sun Go Down On Me (with George Michael) has sold 9million physical singles. With The Lion King he gained a younger audience for the last time - I was one of them. The release of the remastered albums from his "fat years" on compact disk let his sales overthrow everything since the mid seventies and it rained down gold & platinum certs. His back catalog was reviewed for promotional reasons but that was the last time his record company cared about his concerns. His younger peaks seemed to be hiccups. The last big hit was the cooperation with Blue, which sold 3.5 million copies in 2003.

(21)
    Donīt Let The Sun Go Down On Me (with George Michael) (1991/1992) No.1 in US(1), UK(2), ITA(8), World (5), SWI(6), EURO(8), FRA(7), CAN(3), BEL(6), NED(8), GRC, BRA, NOR(7), # 3 world 1992, Grammy nomination Pop Vocal Group

(22)
    The One (1992) No.1 CAN(2), BRA, best selling single Brazil 1992

(23)
    Can You Feel The Love Tonight (1994) No.1 FRA(9), CAN(4), Grammy won Pop Vocal Male, Grammy nominations song of the year and best song for motion picture

(24)
    Believe (1995) No.1 ITA(2), CAN(4)

(25)
    Something About The Way You Look Tonight / Candle In The Wind 1997 (1997) No.1 US(14), UK(5), NZ(6), IRE(5), SWI(11), GER(7), FRA(5), NOR(6), BEL(7), EURO(6), NED(7), FIN(3), AUT, JP(2), CAN(1 in 2002), World(15), AUS(6), ARG, ESP(15), SWE(7), POL, best selling single in history, Grammy won Pop Vocal Male

(26)
    Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word (with Blue) (2002/2003) No.1 NED(5), UK(1), LIT, RUS, #6 world(6)

(27)
    Are You Ready For Love (2003) No.1 UK(1)

(28)
    Ghetto Gospel (feat. 2Pac) (2005) No.1 UK(3), AUS(1), IRE(4)

Leave a comment:

• chartobserver
    replied
    Part Two: After the lukewarm peroid of 1977-1979 Elton got a lot of hit singles again in the 80s. With an incredible continuity he provided at least one international hit every year. Though some of his albums at that time were obviously bad in quality, you can find many brilliant songs such as I Guess Thatīs Why They Call It The Blues (which was nowhere on top sadly). These next 10 number-one hits were not all million sellers (12, 19, 20) and his success shiftet from North America to Europe, where the singles Nikita and Sacrifice were massive hits.

(11)
    Little Jeannie (1980) No.1 in CAN(1), ISR

(12)
    Nobody Wins / Je Veux De La Tendresse (1981) No.1 in FRA(2)

(13)
    Blue Eyes (1982) No.1 in ISR, Grammy nomination Best Pop male vocalist

(14)
    Iīm Still Standing (1983) No.1 in CAN, SWI(2)

(15)
    Nikita (1985/1986) No.1 in GER(3), NED(9), BEL(8), SWI(4), NZ(3), IRE(1), EURO(3), SA(4), # 9 world 1986

(16)
    Thatīs What Friends Are For (as Dionne & Friends) (1986) No.1 in US(4), CAN(1), AUS(1), #2 world(2), best selling single in USA 1986, Grammy won for Pop vocal group, Grammy nomination record of the year

(17)
    I Donīt Wanna Go On With You Like That (1988) No.1 in CAN(3), # 2 World(2)

(18)
    Sacrifice (1990) No.1 in UK(5), EURO(7), FRA(3), in UK double A-sided with Healing Hands as charity single

(19)
    Club At The End Of The Street (1990) No.1 in DEN(2)

(20)
    You Gotta Love Someone (1991) No.1 CAN(1)

Leave a comment:

• chartobserver
    replied
    ELTON JOHN - All international Number-One Hits

I donīt think there has been a collection of Elton Johnīs number one hits over the years in this thread.

His recording career bore an astonishing score of international # 1 hits.

Nowadays you donīt find him anymore in the single charts or at least quite seldom. This last week of the year is the opportunity to look back on four decades of pole positions.

Over the years (since 1995) I have been collecting all informations I get and of course there are other sources to prove:
    for instance

http://tsort.info/music/2naq1q.htm
    http://www.charts-surfer.de/
    http://www.mediatraffic.de/

Part One – the first 10 peaks he achieved in only four years – the fat years of success. All million sellers and some of them in a row of the best selling singles of the 70s. Crocodile Rock sold more than 4 million copies and Donīt Go Breaking My Heart even 7 million copies.

Title / Year / List of pole positions (weeks at the peak) / additional notes

(1)
    Crocodile Rock (1972/1973) No.1 in US(3), CAN(4), SWI(3), ITA(5), NZ(2), World(6), # 2 in EURO Hit Charts(6), best selling single in ITA 1973, # 5 worldwide 1973

(2)
    Daniel (1973) No.1 in CAN(2), Grammy nomination Pop Male Vocalist

(3)
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973,1974) No.1 in CAN(1), NZ(1), # 2 World(3)

(4)
    Bennie And The Jets (1974) No.1 in US(1), CAN(2), # 2 World(1)

(5)
    Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (1974) No.1 in CAN(2), Grammy nomination record of the year

(6)
    The Bitch Is Back (1974) No.1 in CAN(1)

(7)
    Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (1974/1975) No.1 in US(2), CAN(4)

(8)
    Philadelphia Freedom (1975) No.1 in US(2), CAN(2), World (3), #8 worldwide 1975

(9)
    Island Girl (1975) No.1 in US(3), # 2 World(2)

(10)
    Donīt Go Breaking My Heart (with Kiki Dee) (1976) No.1 US(4), UK(6), CAN(3), AUS(1), EURO, NZ(9), IRE (4), ESP(3), PRT, SA(6), World (6), FRA(3), BRA, best selling single world 1976, Grammy nomination Pop Vocal Group

Leave a comment:

• chartobserver
    replied
    Originally posted by chartobserver
    Face to face (with gary barlow)
    #75 ne Irish Singles Charts
    UK Charts

W/e 7th December 2013:
    111. (NEW) FACE TO FACE (Gary Barlow & Elton John)

W/e 14th December 2013:
    126. (RE) STEP INTO CHRISTMAS (Elton John)

This week:
    80. FACE TO FACE (Gary Barlow & Elton John) (up from 111)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X