• U.K.

ELTON JOHN - ROCKET MAN - THE DEFINITIVE HITS
          Platinum Certification (Album) 12 february 2010

UNIVERSAL MUSIC (MERCURY)
          Released 26 march 2007
          Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• recording new album (from BT website):
            Basic tracks for Bernie and Elton’s new album with Leon Russell have been recently completed and the gang is about to start vocals and overdubs immediately, reports the blog on Bernie Taupin's website.
            The trio has cut fifteen songs ranging from Stones like rockers, Country tinged ballads, Gospel and even a Sinatra like weepy similar to something torn from the grooves of “In the Wee Small Hours”. The album is varied in scope and drenched in a rich tapestry of atmospherics. Don’t expect to hear the old EJ/BT sound; this is organic recording unlike anything you’ve heard from the duo before.
            Leon continues to improve from the surgery that sidelined him in the initial stages and caused the media to over diagnose his condition. His playing is masterful as ever and his contribution to the project grows more exciting with the passing of every day.
            The players in the first two weeks of recording have included such T-Bone Burnett, as drummers Jim Keltner and Jay Bellerose, bassist Dennis Crouch, guitar virtuoso Marc Ribot and additional keyboardist and tech wizard Keefus Ciancia.

Comment

• BB200
              27 february

TW, Artist, Title. Sales TW, Sales LW, %change from LW, RTD

194 JOHN*ELTON ROCKET MAN-NUMBER 1'S 4,039 3,532 14 635,297
              Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Israel
                unofficial
                http://www.musicaneto.com/best_sellings.asp?counter=1

# 3 Rocket Man: The Definitive Hits
                Elton John
                Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Rocket MAN - USA - 6 june 2010
                  676,762 copies

NEW ELTON JOHN ALBUM (+ Leon Russel), THE UNION; out on 19 October

Comment

• http://www.billboard.com/news#/news/elt ... 2231.story

Elton John says his forthcoming collaboration with legendary singer, songwriter and sideman Leon Russell marks a new chapter in his recording career, saying: "I don't have to make pop records any more."

Speaking at the launch of the album at the Electric Cinema in West London last night (July 5), John said: "I thought, 'The world isn't screaming for another Elton John record and I'm not screaming for it either unless it's going to be different. In the '70s, '80s and '90s, the record companies always said we had to have a single and I think I fulfilled my brief. But at 63, the singles chart isn't one I'm going to be in very often. To me now, it's all about writing albums and trying to be mature."

John recruited Russell for the album, aptly entitled "The Union," after rediscovering Russell's music 40 years after they toured the United States together. Russell was a big name in the 1960s and 1970s, playing keyboards for the likes of Phil Spector and the Beach Boys, making solo records and writing songs including "A Song for You," "This Masquerade" and "Delta Lady." But he largely fell off the radar in the late 1970s and has suffered from poor health in recent years, although he kept touring.

John described Russell as his "idol" and working with him as a "humbling and moving experience." He hopes the exposure from the album will bring new attention to Russell's solo output.

"There's no point doing this record if it doesn't bring his work to light," said John. "I want him to be comfortable financially. I want his life to improve a little."

John and Russell worked with John's long-time songwriting partner Bernie Taupin and producer T Bone Burnett on the collaborative project, which also features guest appearances from the likes of Neil Young and Brian Wilson. Journalists at the launch also heard a playback of the 16-track album, which has a rootsy, almost gospel sound, and was recorded live, with most tracks done "in one or two takes."

In an entertaining Q&A session hosted by U.K.-based broadcaster Paul Gambaccini, John also held forth on Christmas albums ("My record company in America asked me to do a Christmas record and I just told them to **** off"), videos ("I ******* hate videos") and even which of his songs would be the best introduction to his music for a 6-year-old ("Just show him 'The Lion King'").

John said he plans to tour with Russell next year and hopes to make another record with him if "The Union" is a success. He also plans to do a solo covers album in the near future.

"The Union" will be released Oct. 19 in the United States on Decca Records, and Oct. 25 in the United Kingdom on Mercury.
                    Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Catalog, soundscan figures
                      Week ending Oct 3, 2010
                      (thanks oldbloke)

JOHN*ELTON ROCKET MAN-NUMBER 1'S 1,679 -1 1,702 707,368
                      Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• U.K.
                        To Date Albums

Elton John & Leon Russell - The Captain & The Kid 63,239

(source haven)
                        Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Originally posted by borderwolf
                          U.K.
                          To Date Albums

Elton John & Leon Russell - The Captain & The Kid 63,239

(source haven)
                          Borderwolf - The Elton John & Leon Russell
                          Album is called, 'The Union'. 'The Captain
                          & The Kid' was a 2006 Solo Album, by Elton.

Zeus555

Comment

• I think it's the poor UK sales of CAPTAIN & THE KID 2006 ALBUM.
                            Great ALBUM, ANYWAY!!!
                            (elton & Leon's album was out yesterday)

Comment

• hitsdailydouble POST a BEAUTIFUL predictions

1,SUGARLAND MERCURY NASHVILLE 207,410 --
                              INCREDIBLE MACHINE

-- 2 KINGS OF LEON RCA/RMG 187,333 --
                              COME AROUND SUNDOWN

-- 3 ELTON JOHN & LEON RUSSEL DECCA 77,859 --
                              UNION

-- 4 ROD STEWART J RECORDS/RMG 76,420 --
                              FLY ME TO THE MOON

1 5 LIL WAYNE CASH MONEY/UNIV MOTOWN 63,303 -47%

LET'S WAIT exact sales but this sounds LOVELY :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by zeus555
                                Borderwolf - The Elton John & Leon Russell
                                Album is called, 'The Union'. 'The Captain
                                & The Kid' was a 2006 Solo Album, by Elton.

Zeus555
                                Yes, of course...
                                Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Billboard 200

The Union

3 JOHN*ELTON & LEON RUSSEL UNION 79,626 999 558 80,211

Catalog Chart

Rocket man - number 1's

27 JOHN*ELTON ROCKET MAN-NUMBER 1'S 2,533 22 2,081 714,378

Comment

• http://eltonjohnallsongslist.blogspot.c ... world.html

Comment

• It has to enter worldwide charts next week

Comment

• New Update:
                                        http://eltonjohnallsongslist.blogspot.c ... world.html

Comment

• The Union reached the charts in 21 countries. There were three Top 10 entries - in the US, in Norway and in Israel. The strongest demand we see in the US were the album managed to be one of the 10 best selling albums for three weeks. In Europe the album doesn´t sell well because of it´s Americana feel and the lack of a radio single. That reminds me of the early Elton John records.

We will see how it will go on. Anyway we can be sure, that this album has payed off already.

Comment

• Hi chart, Top 10 also in CANADA

Comment

• New Album TOPIC

THE UNION ERA
                                              http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=25

Comment

• Oh yea. Canada. Thanks. I´d forgotten.

Comment

• 27/11/2010 Your Song-mania in the UK CHARTS this week:

ALBUMS
                                                  After a X-Factor special dedicated Elton programme,
                                                  Rocket Man the definitive HITS back in the top100 at n.53 in another busy-with-new-entries week.
                                                  (While THE UNION down at n.90. It's a strange strange situation!)

SINGLES
                                                  A YOUR SONG cover from ELLIE GOULDING at n.3 (85.000 copies aprox)
                                                  Making a giant leap up the chart this week is Ellie Goulding’s ‘Your song’. After creeping in at 39 last week, this week it’s up 36 places to a new peak of number 3. By doing this, it becomes the biggest climb within the top 40 in a single week since Taio Cruz and Tinchy Stryder’s ‘Take me back’ made the exact same jump in January 2009

Back also in the charts,
                                                  YOUR SONG original version at n.61
                                                  SOMETHING ABOUT THE WAY../CANDLE IN THE WIND 1997
                                                  at n.77
                                                  This is the all-time best selling single in uk and in the world
                                                  YOUR SONG (Moulin Rouge Version) - Ewan mcGregor n.197

Comment

• last week of november
                                                    billboard chart
                                                    194.JOHN*ELTON ROCKET MAN-NUMBER 1'S 6,432 201 2,138 728,774

in uk still in top 100 from 2 weeks (5000/6000 sales per week approx)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X