No announcement yet.

AC/DC :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17/18m global record sales in the last 5 years according to Music Week 2 weeks ago/new Q mag (& 200m in total).

Comment

• US

Catalog Report: AC/DC's Back In Black holds at #1 on the Catalog Albums chart for the third straight week. The album sold 10,000 copies this week and would have ranked #53 on the big chart if older, catalog albums were eligible to compete there. Though Back In Black is among the best-selling albums of all time, it never reached #1 on The Billboard 200. You may wonder how that could be. (AC/DC has probably wondered that, too!)

Back In Black peaked at #4 in December 1980, behind Kenny Rogers' Greatest Hits, Barbra Streisand's Guilty and Stevie Wonder's Hotter Than July. (It remained at #4 the following week when Rogers was replaced by the John Lennon/Yoko Ono album Double Fantasy.) The competition, clearly, was stiff. The Rogers, Streisand and Lennon albums all generated big #1 singles. (And all made ideal holiday gifts.) Then too, Lennon had just been murdered, which generated tremendous media attention. So while Back In Black has sold more copies over the long haul than the albums that kept it from #1, I think the charts back then had it right. There was probably never a week when Back In Black was the nation's best-seller.

Comment

• #4 on BB200 back in dec 1980 :-?
        #4 alltime according to RIAA!!!
        Top Catalog Albums of the Soundscan era

Let there be rock!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dane

#4 on BB200 back in dec 1980 :-?
          #4 alltime according to RIAA!!!
          yep, #1 album is temporary prestige, the longevity is much more important. Other Big seller like Led Zeppelin IV, Come On Over, Billy Joel Greatest Hits,never reached #1.Because No 1 position sometimes is a matter of luck, on low sales week, 100 K is enough to reach the top, while on the opposite 400 K just landed at #2

Comment

• Madonna sold

over 35 million albums MORE than Dion worldwide
            over 50 million singles MORE than Dion worldwide

GROSSED more money than Dion from her tours (with adjusted revenues) although her audience was les than half that of Dion's

Comment

• Originally posted by blitu
              Madonna sold

over 35 million albums MORE than Dion worldwide
              over 50 million singles MORE than Dion worldwide

GROSSED more money than Dion from her tours (with adjusted revenues) although her audience was les than half that of Dion's
              Madonna?I am confused, shouldn'we talk about AC/DC here?

Comment

• http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/chart_beat/chat.jsp

GOING BACK TO 'BACK'

Hi Fred,

I enjoy Chart Beat, thank you so much, but I'm afraid a few errors slipped into your AC/DC feature this week:

"Meanwhile, the classic 'Back in Black' album is No. 1 on the Top Pop Catalog chart for the second consecutive week and the third week overall. The album's first week at No. 1 was on the chart dated Feb. 11, 2006. "Back in Black" moved over to the catalog chart the week of March 8, 2003 after a 131-week run on The Billboard 200. With 714 weeks on the Catalog chart, 'Back in Black' has now charted a total of 845 weeks."

"Back in Black" wasn't moved to catalog on March 8, 2003. It was on the very first catalog chart in 1991! In March 2003 it was simply re-issued by Sony. Therefore you also overlooked its first week at No. 1 in 1991. So these two back to back weeks at No. 1 are actually its third and fourth weeks. The total of 845 charted weeks seems right though.

With regards,

Thomas Christiansen
                Copenhagen
                Denmark

Dear Thomas,

Yes, that's the right total. I rely on information from Billboard's internal chart archives, and unfortunately, every once in a while it's a case of "garbage in, garbage out." In this case, the change of label groups from Atlantic to Sony caused a glitch in the archive, giving the wrong dates for the run of "Back in Black" on the Top Pop Catalog Albums chart.

I'll pass your e-mail along to the keepers of the archives to see if they can fix this in the system, and thanks.

Comment

• Thomas Christiansen
                  Dane?.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUR
                    Thomas Christiansen
                    Dane?.

Yep, that's me.

Let there be rock!

Comment

• Hey Dane, are the 2003 remasters of Dirty Deeds and Back In Black worth double-dipping for?

I have Back In Black from back in the day, and I got Dirty Deeds in Australia in '04/'05. Dirty Deeds says it is remastered, but the booklet has nothing in it like the recent High Voltage remaster I picked up and it has a plastic case. The dates on it are just the old ones too, nothing mentioned about 2003...

Comment

• Originally posted by heh
                        Hey Dane, are the 2003 remasters of Dirty Deeds and Back In Black worth double-dipping for?

I have Back In Black from back in the day, and I got Dirty Deeds in Australia in '04/'05. Dirty Deeds says it is remastered, but the booklet has nothing in it like the recent High Voltage remaster I picked up and it has a plastic case. The dates on it are just the old ones too, nothing mentioned about 2003...
                        When Sony signed AC/DC in late 2002 the deal was worldwide except for the Australian region in which they're still on Albert Productions (since day one!)

So when the AC/DC remaster series was released by Sony in 2003 it was outside Australia only.

Albert has remastered the AC/DC catalog too, not sure when, but I have the Aussie High Voltage on remastered CD and like you say the packeging looks nothing like the Sony remasters.

Is it worth buying remastered versions of the albums you already own you ask. Well, if those three are the only AC/DC albums you have, why not treat yourself with essential albums like Let There Be Rock and Highway To Hell instead

That said, I must say the sound on the Sony remasters are great! Loud, crystal clear and crisp!
                        I think the packeging is great too, all are digipacks with 16 page booklets, but they could have added some bonus tracks. There are still hard to get tracks from early Aussie albums.

If you're gonna get Back In Black again, you might wanna consider the 2005 DualDisc version, which has the 2003 cd remaster on one side and a DVD audio version on the other. It also has a documentary on the making of the album.

Let there be rock!

Comment

Week ending 09/21/2008 (Billboard 04/10/2008)

AC/DC

1 1 BACK IN BLACK 10,575 -7 11,363 2,212,071
                          15 16 HIGH VOLTAGE 4,643 -5 4,888 586,881
                          19 23 HIGHWAY TO HELL 3,996 -6 4,252 690,949
                          23 25 LIVE 3,871 -6 4,106 912,995
                          26 28 DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP 3,693 -7 3,963 530,350
                          30 45 RAZOR'S EDGE 2,904 -17 3,482 417,849
                          49 54 FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK WE SAL 2,580 -8 2,798 291,339
                          60 62 IF YOU WANT BLOOD YOU'VE GOT I 2,505 -4 2,619 146,148
                          83 69 LIVE -COLL ED (2 CD SET) 2,319 10 2,110 745,033
                          79 99 WHO MADE WHO 1,858 -15 2,177 157,487
                          119 143 BALLBREAKER 1,585 -12 1,806 47,755
                          137 155 STIFF UPPER LIP 1,509 -9 1,656 36,244
                          --- 158 LET THERE BE ROCK 1,505 43 1,056 124,403

Totals are for the remasters only. Most were re-issued in the spring/summer of 2003, Ballbreaker in October 2005 and Stiff Upper Lip in April 2007.
                          On Billboard's 11/10/2008 catalog top 50 The Razor's Edge had dropped out but these 5 were still on:

1 1 1 846 Back In Black, AC/DC (Diamond Certification) 22 1 9,600
                          16 16 15 24 High Voltage, AC/DC 15 4,000
                          20 23 19 92 Highway To Hell, AC/DC 14 3,850
                          30 25 23 226 Live, AC/DC 13
                          32 28 26 60 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, AC/DC 26

The bold numbers are estimated sales comparing the BB200 and comprehensive charts.

Live and DDDDC weren't on comprehensive and must have sold less than Metallica's Master Of Puppets (#200 on comprehensive)

27 17 9 525 Master Of Puppets, Metallica 6 3,375

So all 5 albums had pretty big drops in sales compared to last week (HTH only minor drop). Looks like Live and DDDDC might drop out next week :-?

Let there be rock!

Comment

Originally posted by heh
                            Hey Dane, are the 2003 remasters of Dirty Deeds and Back In Black worth double-dipping for?

When Sony signed AC/DC in late 2002 the deal was worldwide except for the Australian region in which they're still on Albert Productions (since day one!)

So when the AC/DC remaster series was released by Sony in 2003 it was outside Australia only.

Albert has remastered the AC/DC catalog too, not sure when, but I have the Aussie High Voltage on remastered CD and like you say the packeging looks nothing like the Sony remasters.

Is it worth buying remastered versions of the albums you already own you ask. Well, if those three are the only AC/DC albums you have, why not treat yourself with essential albums like Let There Be Rock and Highway To Hell instead

That said, I must say the sound on the Sony remasters are great! Loud, crystal clear and crisp!
                            I think the packeging is great too, all are digipacks with 16 page booklets, but they could have added some bonus tracks. There are still hard to get tracks from early Aussie albums.

If you're gonna get Back In Black again, you might wanna consider the 2005 DualDisc version, which has the 2003 cd remaster on one side and a DVD audio version on the other. It also has a documentary on the making of the album.
                            Thanks for the informational reply, dude! I'll definitely pick up the others first, as those and "Ballbreaker" are the only ones I own right now.

Follow-up: are there any significant audible differences between the newer albums and their subsequent remasters (Ballbreaker, Razor's Edge, Stiff Upper Lip...)?

I've gotta say, I really got my money's worth (7 bucks!) for High Voltage! Nice package, great booklet, good audio quality, awesome tunes.

Comment

• Originally posted by heh
                              Thanks for the informational reply, dude! I'll definitely pick up the others first, as those and "Ballbreaker" are the only ones I own right now.

Follow-up: are there any significant audible differences between the newer albums and their subsequent remasters (Ballbreaker, Razor's Edge, Stiff Upper Lip...)?

I've gotta say, I really got my money's worth (7 bucks!) for High Voltage! Nice package, great booklet, good audio quality, awesome tunes.
                              The first album I bought in the series was Highway To Hell. So this was the album I used comparing audio quality with the regular CD release. And even though HTH was a well produced album to begin with, I easily preferred the remaster and decided to buy the lot over time.

Another album I compared closely with the original was Fly On The Wall, a reason for doing so was the well known critic that his had poor production to begin with, furthermore it's a personal favorite of mine.
                              Again I found the remaster superior, although I still find the vocals a bit low in the mix.

The rest of the series sound great too, I haven't made close comparison of all though.

With Stiff Upper Lip I actually have a limited edition tour package featuring bonus CD containing live tracks, music videos and a non album track (Cyberspace, b-side to Safe In N.Y.C). So I found no reason to replace it. I haven't heard the remaster.

I did actually get the Ballbreaker remaster. I haven't really compared it with the original though, and I've given that to a friend. I cant imagine the audio quality differing that much on these newer titles.

Let there be rock!

Comment

• Argentina
                                DVD
                                biweekly sales chart (second part of september)

#8 No Bull - The Directors Cut
                                (AC/DC) SONY BMG
                                Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Norway
                                  mid- price, week 40

2 BACK IN BLACK - AC/DC

6 WHO MADE WHO - AC/DC

7 STIFF UPPER LIP - AC/DC
                                  Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• AC/DC's Back In Black drops one spot to #2 on Billboard's catalog chart this week, but the DVD No Bull - Live in Madrid sits atop Top Music Videos for a 4th week in a row!

1 1 No Bull: Live From The Plaza De Toros Las Ventas: Madrid, Spain
                                    Columbia/Legacy | 29888 EX Rating
                                    NR Wks On

Let there be rock!

Comment

AC/DC's Back In Black drops one spot to #2 on Billboard's catalog chart this week, but the DVD No Bull - Live in Madrid sits atop Top Music Videos for a 4th week in a row!

NR Wks On
                                      Wow their DVDs are so huge. I think that both "Family jewels" and "Live" are million sellers worldwide.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUR
                                        Originally posted by Dane
                                        AC/DC's Back In Black drops one spot to #2 on Billboard's catalog chart this week, but the DVD No Bull - Live in Madrid sits atop Top Music Videos for a 4th week in a row!

NR Wks On
                                        Wow their DVDs are so huge. I think that both "Family jewels" and "Live" are million sellers worldwide.
                                        Yes, I wonder why 'Let There Be Rock - Live In Paris' hasn't been released by Sony too. It would sell a bunch!

One of the last concerts with Bon Scott, professionally filmed!

Let there be rock!

Comment

• I love this DVD.

Comment

• Originally posted by nelson
                                            I love this DVD.
                                            Good taste

Let there be rock!

Comment

• http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/arts/ ... ref=slogin

Great two page article!

Look at this Walmart stand! Serious promotion!

Many informations in the article incl. Back In Black now at 49 million WW according to Columbia. AC/DC at 26.4M US album in SS era. Live At Donnington DVD at more than 800,000 copies (label's top selling DVD). Oh and Angus is about 5 foot 3 and 110 pounds

Let there be rock!

Comment

• Thank you, Dane. I have the feeling this album will be their biggest one (in terms of initial success) in years. Great promotion.

So "Back in black" is now said to have sold 49 million. They keep raising that total, so their record company is serious with that claim, whether we accept it or not. They should immediately re-certfy it in many key markets (like Australia, Canada, UK and others) to give it more credibility, in my opinion.

Comment

• The ticket service for the AC/DC concert in Oslo, Norway Feb 18 broke down within few minutes after the sales started 9.00 this morning.
                                                  According to 'Billetservice' ("Ticketservice") the traffic was twice that of the Springsteen concert earlier this year.

So the hype is definitely there

Comment

• Argentina
                                                    DVD monthly shipments chart
                                                    september

4 No Bull - The Directors Cut
                                                    (AC/DC) SONY BMG

20 Stiff Upper Lip
                                                    (AC/DC) WARNER
                                                    Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

Working...
                                                    X