No announcement yet.

Queen :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUR, probably you wrote about this in the past, but how is the market share, concerning albums, for Queen?

North America
    Europe
    Asia
    South America
    Oceania
    Africa
    Gulf Area (others)
    Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Poland
      monthly (july) shipments Top 100

#43 SINGLES BOXSET VOL.2 - QUEEN
      Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Originally posted by borderwolf
        HUR, probably you wrote about this in the past, but how is the market share, concerning albums, for Queen?

North America
        Europe
        Asia
        South America
        Oceania
        Africa
        Gulf Area (others)
        Hello Luca,

I could be somethimng like this, based on what I have:

North America: 28%
        Europe: 48%
        South and Central America: 7%
        Asia: 9%
        Oceania: 3%
        Africa/Middle East: 5%

Not sure, if it is that correct or if I'm overestimating Afrika, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUR
          Hello Luca,

I could be somethimng like this, based on wht I have:

North America: 28%
          Europe: 48%
          South and Central America: 7%
          Asia: 9%
          Oceania: 3%
          Afrika/Middle East: 5%
          Thanks!

Originally posted by HUR
          Afrika/Middle East: 5%

Not sure, if it is that correct or if I'm overestimating Afrika, though.
          Yes, probably (but I'm not sure) Africa is overestimated, anyway... thanks a lot!
          Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Originally posted by HUR
            In 1986, Queen sold 1,500,000 units in UK according to Record Mirror.

"Live Magic" was the best selling live album of the years and, based on the same article, "Live Killers" achieved that too, in 1979.

"A Night At The Opera" sold 30,000 and was the best selling "veteran" album of 1986.

Best Selling Videos of 1986:

#4 Live In Rio
            #9 Greatest Flix 1
            #10 We Will Rock You
            #16 Video Ep (by Freddie Mercury, which reached #1)

Best Selling Videos of 1992:

#1 Greatest Flix 2
            #3 We Will Rock You
            #5 Box Of Flix
            #8 Queen At Wembley
            #10 Greatest Flix 1

I have a video chart, as of Januray 27 1990, and "We Will Rock You" (VHS) was at #7 (with "Rare Live at #16. Amazing longevity for the first title.
            Hi HUR,

Your figures in black will be retail sales. The actual numbers 'sold' that year as far as EMI are concerned, were higher in both cases.

If you have any idea of other 'live' albums in 1979 I can comment on that. The 'Magic' claim looks very likely possible, but again without having trawled through chart books for that year I'm unsure of the competition.

Regards,

Topicel

Comment

• Originally posted by Topicel
              Your figures in black will be retail sales. The actual numbers 'sold' that year as far as EMI are concerned, were higher in both cases.
              Thank you. Yes, because they were printed on that magazine and the one who wrote the article was Alan Jones, I'm sure those are calculated retail sales.

I have an Emi's figure for 1986. According to them Queen sold (or shipped, in reality) 1,774,991 copies during 1986. And I know that "A Night At The Opera" and all of their studio albums were selling very well back then, so I wouldn't be surprised if they all shipped in vast numbers, too.

Not sure if the above numbers fit with what you have for Queen, though.

Originally posted by Topicel
              If you have any idea of other 'live' albums in 1979 I can comment on that. The 'Magic' claim looks very likely possible, but again without having trawled through chart books for that year I'm unsure of the competition.
              Yes, it would be interesting. According to Emi again, "Live Magic" shipped 400,000 copies until the end of 1986.

Comment

• According to the Italian version of Wikipedia,

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discografia_dei_Queen

for the first time there are some Queen sigles figures. For example:

Bohemian Rhapsody 9500000 (worldwide)
                Radio GaGa 4500000 (worldwide)

In your opinion, are those figures reliable or inflated as the most of albums figures which are published in the same Wikipedia page??

Comment

• Originally posted by loris39
                  According to the Italian version of Wikipedia,

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discografia_dei_Queen

for the first time there are some Queen sigles figures. For example:

Bohemian Rhapsody 9500000 (worldwide)
                  Radio GaGa 4500000 (worldwide)

In your opinion, are those figures reliable or inflated as the most of albums figures which are published in the same Wikipedia page??
                  Yes, they are heavily inflated. "Bohemian Rhapsody" sold over 7 million, and "Radio Ga-Ga" sold over 2 million copies.

Just about every figure on that page is wrong.

Comment

• Thank you HUR: it's like I thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by loris39
                      Thank you HUR: it's like I thought.
                      You're weolcome. Based on my estimations, Queen have sold roughly 60,000,000 singles worldwide.

Here is a British total for "The Freddie Mercury Album":

Freddie Mercury - The Freddie Mercury Album (Total)
                      1992 --- 362,031
                      1993 --- 328,064
                      1994 --- 70,879
                      1995 --- 39,451
                      1996 --- 33,136
                      1997 --- 22,601
                      1998 --- 8,461
                      1999 --- 8,023
                      2000 --- 4,183
                      2001 --- 2,585
                      2002 --- 17,221
                      2003 --- 1,494
                      2004 --- ????
                      2005 --- ????
                      2006 --- ????
                      2007 --- 45
                      2008 --- 159
                      2009 --- 59
                      Total --- 898,392

It sold 898,392 copies in UK, and includes club sales. It sold, through clubs, a total of 211,211 copies (which is just impressive). This was provided by Jimmy, the best. He added: "I think the album was heavily overshipped in 2002, hence the no shipment figures for 2004-2006. It only shipped 14,385 between 1998-2001, so 17,221 + 1,494 (18,715) in 2002 and 2003, should easily be enough, to cover 2004 to 2006 as well, as 2002 and 2003."

Much higher than expected. It looks like this album had some bigger sales than we thought in certain markets.

The only weird thing is that it used to appear as being double platinum in Argentina (120,000), but now it is "only" platinum for some reason (which means sales of 60,000 copies).

Comment

• Hey HUR, if The Freddie Mercury album is certified platinum in Argentina, do you have all the other certifications for Queen there?

Comment

• As a huge fan of Queen,I want to thnk Hur,Topicel,and all the rest for posting these figures.
                          I consider them among the "original" rock acts,starting from the 50s thru the early 80s.
                          Keep the numbers coming!

Comment

• Ok, any estimates for worldwide sales of the new Queen compilation. A guess for me would be around about 700,000 by the end of the year, maybe one million!

Comment

• Originally posted by nucleardolphin
                              Hey HUR, if The Freddie Mercury album is certified platinum in Argentina, do you have all the other certifications for Queen there?
                              Yes, sure.

Greatest Hits 1 (1987) - 300,000
                              A Night At The Opera (1987) - 60,000
                              Live Magic (1990) - 30,000
                              A Night At The Opera (1991) - 60,000
                              Innuendo - 60,000
                              Greatest Hits 2 - 506,000
                              Live At Wembley '86 - 30,000
                              Greatest Hits 1 (1994) - 180,000
                              Made In Heaven - 120,000
                              Greatest Hits 3 - 60,000

Total: 1,406,000

"The Game" sold 120,000 up to March 10, 1981. It ended up on about 200,000+.

"Greatest Hits 1" has two separate versions certified which I combine here. The same for "A Night At The Opera".

Thank you, jbnva58.

Comment

• Hi, thankyou HUR! how many copies is Platinum? I still don't quite understand why A night at the Opera and Greatest Hits have been certified twice, were they released in two different formats?

Comment

Ok, any estimates for worldwide sales of the new Queen compilation. A guess for me would be around about 700,000 by the end of the year, maybe one million!
                                  Well, Nucleardolphin, its success relies on a number of things. It is THE first 1CD Hits compilation that spans their entire career. There hasnt been a new Hits collection from Queen in a decade as well so depending on promotion and what will be included in the 2CD Limited Edition I can see it possibly selling up to 400,000 copies in the UK by the end of this year....

Comment

• Yeah, I was thinking around about that figure for the UK. How about worldwide though, I mean on that basis it could do 1.5 million worldwide!!?? I still don't like all these compilations coming out, it kind of cheapens the name a bit. However, its christmas and thats always a good time to release a compilation.

Comment

Hi, thankyou HUR! how many copies is Platinum? I still don't quite understand why A night at the Opera and Greatest Hits have been certified twice, were they released in two different formats?
                                      Platinum is for 60,000 copies. I don't know why those albums have separate certifications, to be honest. "Greatest Hits 1" shipped 480,000 units combining both versions, between 1987 and September 2006. I estimated on 700,000 copies. The same for "A Night At The Opera", which sold 120,000+ copies between 1987 and March 2005 based on those certifications. Both are two of the biggest catalog sellers in Argentina.

The combined total of both Queen's "Greatest Hits 1" and "Greatest Hits 2" have actually sold more than the combined total of some of the most successful albums in Argentina by some of the biggest acts over the last 25 years or so. In Argentina, the genre that sells the most is melodic-latin-romantic, followed by some folklore acts. Rock does sell, but has a smaller markets. yet Queen, dispite an international English band, still outdid (with both compilations) Spanish acts like Soledad, Los Nocheros (the best selling local group of the last 16 years), Soda Stereo, José Luis Perales, Puma Rodríguez, Los Pericos, Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, Fito Paez, Julio Iglesias, Chiquititas (a local soap-opera), Chayanne, Ricky Martin, Andrea Bocelli (well, he is Italian, though) and many more. Those acts have a much bigger markets, based on Argentinian's taste; yet Queen outdid them.

Comment

• DVD Chart ITALY

11# Rock Montreal

HUR, I have a question for you: you estimate 8 million digital tracks sold in the USA, but, in your opinion, which is the total worldwide figure ??

Comment

• Finland
                                          dvd chart, week 36

4. (RE) 5 Live At Wembley Stadium
                                          QUEEN

5. (5.) 13 Greatest Video Hits
                                          QUEEN
                                          Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

Working...
                                          X