X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EdWood
    This week on US billboard charts:

140 RE-ENTRY 209 Greatest Hits, Queen

As far as I know the last time Queen had a re-entry into the Billboard 200 earlier this year, it was the We Will Rock You Edition of Greatest Hits. I think the version that is charting now is the old 1992 version that has been certified 8 times platinum (but which should by now be probably certified diamond with all the catalog sales since the last certification).

-- Queen: At No. 140, the band's 1992 album "Greatest Hits" re-enters with 4,000 (up 105%), likely owed to Father's Day promotions. Coincidentally, the act's SoundScan-era cumulative album sales tally surpasses the 20 million mark this week as well. (Certainly, the group sold many millions more before SoundScan was established in 1991.) Since 1991, Queen's biggest selling album is this "Greatest Hits," which has shifted 6.9 million copies and is currently the 68th best-selling album since 1991.

Comment

• Yes EdWood i am insane,infact beyond insane!!!!!

But hey your Company is doing very well!!!!!!!
      You can never have enough luxury lemon drizzle cake

Comment

• Originally posted by argentino78
        -- Queen: At No. 140, the band's 1992 album "Greatest Hits" re-enters with 4,000 (up 105%), likely owed to Father's Day promotions. Coincidentally, the act's SoundScan-era cumulative album sales tally surpasses the 20 million mark this week as well. (Certainly, the group sold many millions more before SoundScan was established in 1991.) Since 1991, Queen's biggest selling album is this "Greatest Hits," which has shifted 6.9 million copies and is currently the 68th best-selling album since 1991.
        Many thanks for this message: it's very interesting! By the end of October 2010, Greatest Hits was 6,807,000 copies, now it's 6,9 million: it's quite surprising! The total of Queen albums - even if we don't know whether Five Lives and the albums feat Paul Rodgers are included - by the end of 2010 was 19,818,000 copies, while now the tally surpasses 20 million copies. That means that the catalogue is doing better than last year.

Comment

• A great Hotdog should be served with Onions,English Mustard and Luxury Ketchup!!!!!!!!!
          You can never have enough luxury lemon drizzle cake

Comment

• With the help of Slightymad, I have managed to gather more Queen related information on the music video charts in the UK.

Queen's number one music videos on the British charts from 1981 to 1992

Greatest Flix (6 weeks)
            We Will Rock You (4 weeks)
            Live In Rio (3 weeks)
            Who Wants To Live Forever (1 week)
            Live In Budapest (1 week)
            Rare Live (1 week)
            Greatest Flix II (14 weeks)
            Live At Wembley (3 weeks)

Total weeks at #1: 33 weeks

For the whole period between March 1981 and 1992, Queen achieved 8 number one music videos in the UK.

Overall, they had more number one music videos than any other act during those ten years, and more weeks at the top than any other act.

Queen's number one music videos from 2002 to 2011

The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (3 weeks)
            Greatest Video Hits (2 weeks)
            Live At Wembley '86 (16 weeks)
            Greatest Video Hits II (1 week)
            Queen On Fire (2 weeks)
            Return Of The Champions (1 week)

At least 14 chart topping music videos in the UK. With nine years missing between 1993 and 2001 (although they didn't release that many music videos during that time; "Champions Of The World" was #2 in 1995 from what I could see).

According to most Queen fansites from ten years ago, Queen were supposed to have had as many as 9 number one music videos between 1981 and 2000. We know 8 of them now and there may be a further chart topping video apparently.

Comment

• A slew of re/new entries in the bottom half of the midweek Top 100 today!

Comment

• Originally posted by irishguy28
                A slew of re/new entries in the bottom half of the midweek Top 100 today!
                Care to elaborate Irishguy28? Chart positions?

Thanks

Comment

• Japanese Top 30 Western Albums:

#26 News Of The World
                  #28 Jazz
                  #29 The Game

Comment

• Billboard reports that with the 7/2/11 charts, Queen's SoundScan album sales crossed the 20 million mark.

Comment

• Re-entry this week in the Canadian top 100 album charts:

Absolute Greatest up to number 89 from 101 last week. It has spent 27 weeks on the album chart...

Comment

• So if Queen have sold 20 million in the US since 1991, how many albums have they sold in total in the US up to now? HUR?!

Comment

• I would say Queen have sold 45-46 million albums in the USA in their career to date...

Comment

• Does anyone know of any UK album chart positions this week as Queen weren't in the top 100? :-?

Comment

• Originally posted by nucleardolphin
                              So if Queen have sold 20 million in the US since 1991, how many albums have they sold in total in the US up to now? HUR?!
                              Queen: 750,000
                              Queen II: 750,000
                              Sheer Heart Attack: 500,000
                              A Night At The Opera: 3,000,000
                              A Day At The Races: 1,000,000
                              News Of The World: 4,000,000
                              Jazz: 1,500,000
                              Live Killers: 1,000,000
                              The Game: 4,000,000
                              Flash Gordon: 500,000
                              Greatest Hits: 9,000,000
                              Hot Space: 800,000
                              The Works: 600,000
                              A Kind Of Magic: 1,000,000
                              The Miracle: 500,000
                              Innuendo: 500,000
                              Classic Queen: 3,500,000
                              Live At Wembley: 500,000
                              Five Live: 400,000
                              Greatest Hits I & II: 1,000,000
                              Made In Heaven: 300,000
                              Live Magic: 250,000
                              Queen Rocks: 75,000
                              Greatest Hits III: 150,000
                              Platinum Collection: 700,000
                              Greatest Hits We Will Rock You: 1,000,000
                              Others: 700,000

The total is nearly 38 million albums sold. For many albums (like "Sheer Heart Attack", "A Night At The Opera", "News Of The World", "Live Killers" and others), I'm going by their certifications. Some of those will have sold some extra tens of thousands, all of which would push their albums sales to 40 million or close. So I think Queen sold 37 to 40 million in that country.

"Greatest Hits" has moved more than a million since its last award. I assume about 9 million, which is fine; but it could be a bit smaller.

"A Kind Of Magic" sold nearly 600,000 copies since Soundscan began tracking albums sales in USA. I think it easily sold 300,000 during 1986.

"Queen" was Gold (500,000 copies) in 1977; plus, it sold 116,000 according to Soundscan (1991 to 2005).

Billboard reported sales of 2 million for "Jazz" in 1979 in the Warner Music markets (USA, Canada, Japan, Australia and New Zealand).

Comment

• Very interesting figures, HUR.
                                But I would like to do some reflections...
                                A while ago, you posted some Billboard articles about "The Game" and "Hot Space" here:

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1638714

Those articles adfirmed that "The Game" sold more than 4,000,000 at September 1982 and "Hot Space" 800,000 at September 1982. And if we consider Soundscan figures, it seems that "Hot Space" is close to the Platinum, while "The Game" should be about 4,500,000, like "News of The World".

Why does "Made in Heaven" have only 300,000 copies? It was certified Gold in March 1996.

In my opinion, "Sheer Heart Attack" is about 1,000,000 copies.

With regard to the "Greatest Hits + We Will Rock You Edition", they have abundantly exceeded 10,000,000 albums, according to the last data. I assume they have sold about 10,200,00 copies.

Thank you also for the figures about Champions Of The World!

Comment

• UK Top 200 Albums

102 (55) GREATEST HITS - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                  105 (--) NEWS OF THE WORLD - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                  118 (--) GREATEST HITS 1 2 & 3 - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                  128 (--) JAZZ - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                  138 (--) THE GAME - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                  154 (--) HOT SPACE - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                  156 (81) GREATEST HITS II - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                  165 (--) FLASH GORDON - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                  175 (--) DEEP CUTS - VOL 2 - 1977-1982 - QUEEN (ISLAND)

Comment

• Thanks for the chart positions Irishguy28. So even though no positions in the top 100, there were quite a few Queen album nearly made it....

Plus there were 7 new entries plus the 2 Greatest Hits albums so overall sales were quite good...

Comment

• I agree! I think Sheer Heart Attack must be around 1 million copies! thanks HUR, but Im sure some of those records are out a little.

Comment

• Thank you, Loris. Very good observations.

"Made In Heaven" was certified Gold (500,000 copies), but, according to Soundscan, it sold 275,000 copies in USA. I know Soundscan doesn't track all sales in USA, but Queen's catalogue has never been available through music clubs in that country so I can't see any significant sales coming from other avenues other than the regular retailers. All I can conclude, based on that, is that "Made In Heaven" was overshipped and its real shipments are smaller (300,000 sales would look fine). But maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

I think you are probably right about "Sheer Heart Attack". Its chart positions were very good at the time and it went Gold in 1975 (there were no platinum awards at the time). If it didn't sell one million, it is probably close.

But as with other albums, I just decided to go by what their certifications show and nothing more. That is how I came up with nearly 38 million, which is a rather "safe" total; adding the extra tens of thousands I talked about to every certified album would be enough to enable Queen to reach nearly 40 million.

"News Of The World" reached 3,000,000 in July 1978 and sold 855,000 copies according to Soundscan (from 1991 to 2009). It all depends on its sales during the intervening years.

"Hot Space" is a doubtful case. The figure reported at the time may have covered Canada too or other Warner markets. But even if it didn't, I think it was a dissapointment in sales, so I wouldn't be surprised if some copies were returned in late 1982 or early 1983. That is why I didn't add any extra sales to those 800,000 claimed back then. But yes, it can be on 950,000 to 1,000,000. It doesn't change much on the whole anyway.

"Greatest Hits" has sold a million since the last award (certified 8 times platinum in April 2006, 8,000,000). Plus, "Greatest Hits We Will Rock You" sold 1,000,000. Both compilations may have sold a combined 10,000,000.

Comment

• I'm tryin to estimate the sales of the Queen reissues this week.

The only sales figures I have in the UK album chart that could help us find out sales are as follows - number of copies is the first figure, figure in brackets is chart position.

3791 Katy Perry (53)

1474 Britney Spears [FF] (121)

And Queen had the following:

102 (55) GREATEST HITS - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                          105 (--) NEWS OF THE WORLD - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                          118 (--) GREATEST HITS 1 2 & 3 - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                          128 (--) JAZZ - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                          138 (--) THE GAME - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                          154 (--) HOT SPACE - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                          156 (81) GREATEST HITS II - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                          165 (--) FLASH GORDON - QUEEN (ISLAND)
                                          175 (--) DEEP CUTS - VOL 2 - 1977-1982 - QUEEN (ISLAND)

3 albums of Queen's charted higher than that Britney album so definately sold more than 1,474 copies. Lets say Greatest Hits sold 2,000 copies, NPTW sold 1,800 and Platinum Collection sold 1,600.

Jazz was just 7 positions below Britney so probably sold 1,300 copies. The others?
                                          The Game 1,200
                                          Hot Space 1,150
                                          GH2 1,100
                                          Flash Gordon 1,050
                                          Deep Cuts 1,000

These are all guestimates based on what other sales figures we know of - I can't see them being that far out.

Altogether Queen 'may' have sold 12,200 copies of just the 2nd batch of 5 Studio album reissues, plus Deep Cuts 2 and the already reissued Greatest Hits 1 and 2. Then maybe add a few thousand for the rest of the catalogue - maybe fans picked up some of the 1st batch of reissues this time?

So sales aren't fantastic but not 'too' bad when you think they are just replacing their catalogue with a new label's take on their material...

Comment

• Japanese Chats (Oricon):

#168 Queen - News Of The World (Limited Edition) - 700 (2,089)
                                            #194 Queen - Jazz (Limited Edition) - 615 (1,926)
                                            #209 Queen - The Game - 566 (1,783)
                                            #213 Queen - Greatest Hits I II & III - 536 (1,572)
                                            #224 Queen - Greatest Hits - 517 (15,688)

Counting also Greatest Hits II and the remaining albums, with the exception of the two Deep Cuts, Flash and Hot Space, Queen have sold in Japan 43,485 copies at the moment. Those are the sales of their albums inside the Top 300.

Swiss Chart:

#43 Platinum Collection

Spanish Chart:

#90 Platinum Collection

Comment

• Various charts...

South Korea:

#65 Greatest Hits

Norway:

#39 Greatest Hits

Spain:

#69 Platinum Collection

Switzerland:

#61 Platinum Collection

Italy:

#92 Platinum Collection

Belgium (Wallonia):

#90 Platinum Collection

France (Albums Chart):

#193 Platinum Collection

France (Singles Chart):

#85 Bohemian Rhapsody

Comment

• South Korea

A lot of albums on International weekly shipments chart:
                                                http://www.gaonchart.co.kr/main/section ... rmGbn=week
                                                Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Chile
                                                  unofficial
                                                  feriadeldisco
                                                  dvd chart

# 1 Queen - VIDEO COLLECTION
                                                  Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Queen in Netherlands:

Look at these rankings and the numbers attached to each album.

1 3 BACK TO FRONT - lionel richie
                                                    2 1 GREATEST HITS 1992 vol. 2 - various +
                                                    3 2 COUNTDOWN ROCK BALLADS - various
                                                    4 4 GREATEST HITS 2 - queen +3
                                                    5 6 METALLICA
                                                    6 15 CALOR - julio iglesias
                                                    7 5 HOUSE PARTY 3 - various +
                                                    8 9 THE MADMAN'S RETURN - snap
                                                    9 7 THE BEST OF - cock robin
                                                    10 8 HET BESTE UIT DE TOP 100 ALLERTIJDEN - various +1

1 1 GREATEST HITS II - queen +1
                                                    2 2 HET BESTE UIT DE TOP 40 '91 - various +2?
                                                    3 3 GREATEST HITS I - queen +1
                                                    4 6 SHEPHERD MOONS - enya +
                                                    5 7 NEVERMIND - nirvana
                                                    6 4 ACHTUNG BABY - u2 +1
                                                    7 5 DANGEROUS - michael jackson +1
                                                    8 9 TURN UP THE BASS 1991 MEGAMIX - various
                                                    9 11 VERY BEST - bee gees +
                                                    10 10 ALLERBESTE NEDERLANDSTALIGE HITS - diverse artiesten +

22 23 INNUENDO - queen +1

60 66 A NIGHT AT THE OPERA - queen +2

1 1 THE BODYGUARD - soundtrack +1
                                                    2 2 GOLD - boney m
                                                    3 7 WANDERING SPIRIT - mick jagger
                                                    4 8 THE NAKED TRUTH - golden earring (NL) +
                                                    5 3 BACK TO FRONT - lionel richie +3
                                                    6 6 SHE'S GOT SOUL - jocelyn brown
                                                    7 5 UNPLUGGED - eric clapton +1
                                                    8 4 SWEET HELLO'S & .. (greatest hits) - rene froger (NL) +1
                                                    9 9 OFF THE GROUND - paul mccartney
                                                    10 11 GOLD - abba +1

75 81 GREATEST HITS 1 - queen +5

These are some old Dutch charts from 1992 and 1993, from Stitching (generally regarded as the official chart compiler for that country). They were posted in a Google group, with sales details. At the time, several Queen albums were still charting inside the Top 100.

The number attached to the albums above represent the sales marks achieved back then. That is how +1 means 100,000 copies sold, +2 means 200,000, +3 means 300,000 copies sold, and so on.

Therefore, we have the following sales totals:

Queen A Night At The Opera: +2 (200,000 copies sold)
                                                    Queen Greatest Hits: +5 (500,000)
                                                    Queen Innuendo: +1 (100,000)
                                                    Queen Greatest Hits II: +3 (300,000)

Queen's "Greatest Hits II" was listed with +3 in June 1992, when it was still charting inside the Top 10 (where it would stay for several weeks, even with plenty of Various Artists compilations). It will have been with 300,000 copies sold; the album was certified quintuple platinum in 1997 (500,000 copies sold).

Queen's "Greatest Hits" was interestingly listed with +5 in early 1993 (it reached +3 in early 1992 and eventually +4 in the second half of that year). It would have to have sold 500,000 by early 1993.

Queen's "A Night At The Opera" was with +2, for sales of 200,000 copies sold by early 1992.

In the same way, "Innuendo" was shown with +1, thus making 100,000 units sold. It was certified platinum in 1991.

I have some Dutch charts details too, if anyone is interested.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X