Queen :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HUR
    Thanks, Yoshie. But the midweeks revealed today don't look that good, we will have to wait until tomorrow. I want a Top 3 entry, but, as usual, I won't get that. :x
    You want a Top 3, for another rehash of stuff released already, you should be grateful for a Top 10, let alone a Top 5. I think the midweeks look excellent considering what it is. Nice to see Floyd have slightly increased their lead.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmypages59
      Originally posted by HUR
      Thanks, Yoshie. But the midweeks revealed today don't look that good, we will have to wait until tomorrow. I want a Top 3 entry, but, as usual, I won't get that. :x
      You want a Top 3, for another rehash of stuff released already, you should be grateful for a Top 10, let alone a Top 5. I think the midweeks look excellent considering what it is. Nice to see Floyd have slightly increased their lead.
      I wasn't expecting anything from this, I barely talked about it in the last two months. But now that it is a close race between 3 releases (for the numbers 3, 4 and 5), I want that Top 3 place if possible. It seems difficult, although the other compilations and digital songs will also get a boost, so not everything is bad.

Comment

• Currently Queen are at number 11 on the Global iTunes charts according to Kworb.com - this is the highest I've ever seen them - i can remember them getting to number 15 after the Olympics closing ceremony in 2012.

I think HUR that the success of Queen compilations works against them in some ways. Look at the UK - if you take the OCC's figures then 2 Queen compilations are in the biggest 10 albums of all time. Then we only had Absolute Greatest in 2009 which did well and sold around 700-750K in the UK. Now 5 years later we get another albeit with a few interesting additions.

Looking at Amazon.co.uk sales of Queen albums have soared in the last day - The Platinum Collection is currently at number 4 on the digital album chart (previously 61) - higher then Queen Forever (by the way PC should be near to 1.8 million sales in the UK by now so where is that 6 X platinum award BPI?!). Queen Forever is currently at number 17 on the digital charts, whilst the 1 CD edition is at 32. Greatest Hits at 60 (previously 229). They had a lot of catalogue albums race up the charts as well - News of the World position went from 1669 to 329, The Game at 234 up from 590.

On Amazon's digital singles charts: Let Me in Your Heart Again - 75, These are The Days of Our Lives - 77, We Are The Champions went from 8,018 to 268, Love of My Life from 9,486 to 390, AOBTD from 8369 to 368, etc - there are quite a few other songs seeing huge gains.

On Amazons CD album chart Forever is at whilst the 1CD version is at 66, The PC is at 75, Greatest Hits is 88, and like before many other hits collections and studio albums have seen substantial increases.

Maybe the entire catalogue of Queen will benefit more from the programme last night - i expect to see at least some Queen tracks in the bottom reaches of the UK singles charts and maybe 1 or 2 other Hits collections hitting the top 75/100 of the album charts.

Comment

• Queen Forever on iTunes (relevant markets, I think):

#2 Argentina
          #3 Austria
          #3 Belgium
          #3 Netherlands
          #3 Switzerland
          #4 Luxembourg
          #5 Denmark
          #5 Russia
          #5 Spain
          #6 Germany
          #7 Italy
          #7 Japan
          #7 Poland
          #7 Sweden
          #8 Norway
          #9 Mexico
          #10 France
          #10 New Zealand
          #11 Czech Republic
          #11 Spain
          #12 Finland
          #12 Ireland
          #14 Italy
          #15 United Kingdom
          #16 Norway
          #23 Argentina
          #25 Netherlands
          #26 Hungary
          #27 Sweden
          #31 South Africa
          #32 Switzerland
          #33 Slovenia
          #37 Brazil
          #37 Japan
          #40 Greece
          #52 Portugal
          #54 Russia
          #59 United Kingdom
          #66 Israel
          #67 Austria
          #81 Israel
          #87 Slovakia
          #123 Germany
          #168 France

----
          Guess the special didn't help them further in the UK. They're only #15 and #59 in the UK (compared to Ed being #7 and #17).

Also There Must Be More to Life than This is not getting no boost on iTunes whatsoever...

This could end up at #5...
          "Crime is increasing
          Trigger happy policing..."
          -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

Comment

Austria (98)

Albums:

3. Queen Forever
            29. The Platinum Collection
            44. Greatest Hits
            61. Queen Forever
            116. Live Killers
            118. News of the World
            119. The Works
            121. Hot Space
            122. Flash Gordon
            123. The Game
            Queen and Austria had a moment, but that was it. Now:

Austria (12)

Albums:

63. The Platinum Collection
            181. Queen Forever

lol.

Spain (109)

Songs:

116. Let Me In Your Heart Again
            179. I Want To Break Free
            183. Don't Stop Me Now

Albums:

4. Queen Forever
            12. Queen Forever
            26. The Platinum Collection
            45. Greatest Hits
            50. Greatest Hits II
            148. Live At the Rainbow
            150. Greatest Hits III
            151. Queen

Brazil (99)

Songs:

53. Let Me In Your Heart Again
            174. Bohemian Rhapsody

Albums:

4. Queen Forever
            30. The Platinum Collection
            39. Greatest Hits
            45. Greatest Hits II
            50. Queen Forever
            160. A Night At the Opera

Canada (31)

Albums:

20. Forever
            56. The Platinum Collection
            152. Greatest Hits

United States (28)

Albums:

20. Forever
            86. The Platinum Collection
            146. Greatest Hits

Comment

• Queen now at number 9 on ITunes worldwide charts.

Now at number 8

Comment

• I don't want to get obsessed about Itunes, which isn't really my territory, but Queen Forever is courrently at number 18 in the USA, this is -I think- its highest position so far.

USA

Albums:

18. Forever
                72. The Platinum Collection
                124. Greatest Hits
                180. Greatest Hits

Comment

I don't want to get obsessed about Itunes, which isn't really my territory, but Queen Forever is courrently at number 18 in the USA, this is -I think- its highest position so far.

USA

Albums:

18. Forever
                  72. The Platinum Collection
                  124. Greatest Hits
                  180. Greatest Hits
                  It's now at 17 on the US Itunes albums charts HUR. It's at number 21 in Canada so it appears its doing well in North America. Also surprising to see it at number 7 and 40 in Japan but I think their digital sales are still are small proportion of their total album sales so it's hard to determine where it will end up charting there.

Do you think 1 million sales by the end of 2014 is reasonable for this album? I think it may do 300,000 in the UK this year but this is if sales hold up in the coming weeks.

Comment

• 1 million? I wish. But no, I don't think so.

Of course, 300,000 in the UK would be nice, but it sounds a bit optimistic (even if, based on the fact that it is a bit redundant, the results are actually very good as Jimmtpages59 said)? I'm not good at predictions, but it sounds a bit high. I hope you are right anyway.

Comment

• One million in just six weeks?

At best this could be 60k by the end of this year. This is a compilation and besides X Factor, it didn't really get a good boost. Maybe the Queen + Adam Lambert tour could give it a boost if it's still touring right now (which I'm not sure of right now).
                      "Crime is increasing

Comment

• Originally posted by BadMan125
                        One million in just six weeks?

At best this could be 60k by the end of this year. This is a compilation and besides X Factor, it didn't really get a good boost. Maybe the Queen + Adam Lambert tour could give it a boost if it's still touring right now (which I'm not sure of right now).
                        60k by the end of 2015, BadMan125? You mean worldwide or in the UK?

Comment

• 60k by the end of the year?! I assume you mean just the UK - I will bet you £100 it will sell more then this by the end of 2014.

The 1 million I was referring to was worldwide not just the UK - of course I don't think it can sell 1 million in the UK by the year-end.

But 60k is just wrong. For that to happen sales next week will have to collapse and the album to leave the charts within a few weeks after that. I can see this hanging around a bit longer - 30k this week should be easily achievable and you think it can't sell the same again in 7 weeks?

There is also an appearance of 'Queen' +Adam Lambert on The X Factor on November 30th which should see an upsurge in sales.

Comment

Originally posted by BadMan125
                            One million in just six weeks?

60k by the end of 2015, BadMan125? You mean worldwide or in the UK?
                            UK.

I don't know about worldwide either... might be half that (500k). Depends on how well it does.
                            "Crime is increasing

Comment

• Top 100 download

Italy
                              #24 Let Me In Your Heart Again

Spain
                              #21 Let Me In Your Heart Again

Billboard Top 100 Rock Songs

#47 Let Me In Your Heart Again

Comment

• US:

ROYAL RETURN: Queen debuts on Hot Rock Songs, at No. 47, for the first time (since the chart's inception in 2009) with "Let Me in Your Heart Again (William Orbit Mix)," powered by 10,000 downloads sold. A previously unreleased demo, the track has now been released as part of a promotional collaboration between Coca-Cola and (Red), with all proceeds donated to the Global Fund, which fights AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. The original version appears on the band's new compilation, Queen Forever, released Nov. 11

From the Billboard Hot 100’s beginnings in 1958 until 2004 -- when digital music sales were first used in compiling the weekly measure of America’s biggest hits -- we’ve re-calculated the No. 1 song for every year based on a formula giving near-equal weighting to Nielsen SoundScan-measured digital song downloads since 2004 and Nielsen BDS-monitored airplay across all radio formats since 2010. According to those re-calculations, not one number one then is number one now.

Why the changes? Let’s take a closer look at several more years spanning the 1970s through the '90s.

The artist with the most year-end No. 1s among the original tally? Paul McCartney, who scored two with The Beatles (“I Want to Hold Your Hand” in 1964, and “Hey Jude” in 1968) and one with Wings, the bicentennial year’s topper “Silly Love Songs.” Among the revised No. 1s, it’s another British act, Queen, that scores the hat trick. For the first year of their three year-end winners, the band clips McCartney’s Wings with a song that’s anything but silly.

"It's a rollercoaster of emotion,” says Spokane, Wa. classic hits KEYF program director Rico Garcia of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” the six-minute opus with digital sales north of 3.7 million. “With those opening harmonies, on-point opera, a guitar solo everyone from 9 to 90 can air-guitar to, and the passion of Freddie Mercury's voice, [it’s] a song anyone can appreciate from the first listen.”

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/6 ... -three-dog

Note: "Bohemian Rhapsody" being certified 4X Platinum digitally also includes streams.

Comment

• Thank you, LostAvenger. Good to see you here. 10,000 downloads, not a lot.

I have to admit I didn't understand a thing about the "revised" stats, what did they exactly calculate and how? Never been an expert on this.

The streams thing is making things a bit complicated for me. Am I right in assuming that, at least for Queen, they represent a small share of their certifications? I don't want them to be added. :x I want to know how many digital downloads they have sold since Soundscan began tracking them, in 2003, I believe. It must be anything from 17 to 20 million by this point (assuming they had indeed sold 10,203,000 by September 2009, as was informed at the time).

Comment

• They revised the year end ranks from the Billboard Hot 100 charts. Even though "Call Me" was #1 on Billboard's Year End Hot 100 chart of 1980, "Another One Bites The Dust" seems like the more successful song to be released from that year according to sales since 2004 and radio airplay since 2010.

Streams have been counted on single certifications since since last year in the US. "Bohemian Rhapsody" has been streamed about 30-40 million times according to Billboard's certs.

Comment

• Thank you. Yes, now I understand. It is the revised version of the old year end charts but using modern information. Nice results for Queen.

Comment

• bpi music @bpi_music · 7m 7 minutes ago
                                        A big landmark for @QueenWillRock - the 'Greatest Hits I, II & III' package has just gone a remarkable 6x Platinum! #bpiAwards

Comment

• Thank you, Floria. There you have it, EdWood.

UK Today's Midweeks

1 Pink Floyd - The Endless River (117k) *
                                          2 Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways (73.2k)*
                                          3 Ed Sheeran - x (30.7k)
                                          4 Sam Smith - In The Lonely Hour (30.6k)
                                          5 Queen - Queen Forever (26.7k) *

How much will it do by Saturday? 30,000/35,000?

Ireland Albums

18 Queen Forever

Comment

• Yes HUR I think 35,000 by Sunday is a good estimate. Now does the prediction that it will sell only 60k in total by the end of 2014 in the UK look a bit daft now?

I knew that PC was due another platinum certification as your figure recently showed its total sales was near 1.8 million and if the BPI uses shipment levels then it will have easily exceeded this total already.

I think that PC and Greatest Hits may also see an appearance in the UK top 75 chart this week from looking at their performance over the last few days. GH last week was at number 103 up from 124 the previous week whilst PC was a re- entry at 164.

Comment

• Sunday, sorry. I meant Sunday.

OK, maybe more tan 60,000. But do you maintain your 300,000 estimation yourself, EdWood? Don't you think that it is going to be a bit less than that?

Comment

• New Zealand - Albums

#18 Queen Forever

Netherlands - Albums

#3 Queen Forever

Comment

• Thank you, Loris. This is Queen's highest peak position in Netherlands since 1996, a good debut and their second Top 10 album this year.

Their Top 3 albums:

Number 1

A Night At The Opera
                                                  A Day At The Races
                                                  News Of The World
                                                  The Game
                                                  Greatest Hits
                                                  Hot Space
                                                  The Works
                                                  The Miracle
                                                  Innuendo
                                                  Greatest Hits II
                                                  Made In Heaven

Number 2

A Kind Of Magic
                                                  Five Live

Number 3

Jazz
                                                  Queen Forever

(Sheer Heart Attack would have been number 3 without Various Artists albums)

Excellent stats for Queen there.

Let's remember that Platinum Collection didn't make the Top 3 (it peaked at number 5 in both 2001 and 2005) but charted longer than all the other albums. Plus it was certified 2x platinum (160,000 shipped) in January 2005, almost 10 years. It had surely sold around 200,000 by the time it was deleted in 2010 and we have to add what the new, reissued version from 2011 sold, probably 10,000/20,000 copies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Music Week
                                                    Queen's Greatest Hits is the biggest-selling album of all-time in the UK with sales at a staggering 6,082,883 - but their new compilation, Forever, is off to a less stellar start, debuting at number five (35,665 sales). Comprising hits, classic tracks, alternate mixes, new remasters and a trio of previously unissued tracks, it includes the Michael Jackson collaboration There Must Be More To Life That This, which is the only track on the album NOT available as a standalone download, hence its lack of a singles chart appearance. Forever is Queen's 23rd Top 10 album. Greatest Hits' tally, incidentally, includes a third of the sales of Queen's Greatest Hits I, II and III set, which rallies 164-49 this week (2,546 sales). Both Forever and the hits set benefit from X Factor covers of Queen tracks nine days ago, and ITV's new The Nation's Favourite Queen Song programme, which was screened a couple of times last week.

Comment

• Queen's Greatest Hits is the biggest-selling album of all-time in the UK with sales at a staggering 6,082,883. Greatest Hits' tally, incidentally, includes a third of the sales of Queen's Greatest Hits I, II and III set, which rallies 164-49 this week (2,546 sales).
                                                      And one half of the sales of Greatest Hits 1 and 2?
                                                      That's an extra 600,000 plus 50,000 (at least) so actual sales are around 5,430,000.
                                                      So Abba on over 5.1m is catching up?

Comment

• Maybe in a few years, Gold will sell more but, up to now, Queen's Greatest Hits is still ahead, according to the OCC.

This is for all those who claim "It is number one but thanks to the box sets", which I have read several times all these years.

35,000 for Queen Forever, like we were anticipating. If I remember well, Greatest Hits III opened with similar tally in 1999 (although that one fisnished the year with over 400,000 copies sold, which surely won't be matched this time).

UK Top 100 Singles Sales

85 (184) Queen Bohemian Rhapsody

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne
                                                          Queen's Greatest Hits is the biggest-selling album of all-time in the UK with sales at a staggering 6,082,883
                                                          I think this year Greatest Hits has sold 40/45,000 units in UK. And, even calculating the figures of the box set, I find it hard to believe it has reached such a high amount, considering that it achieved the 6,000,000 copies in February.

Comment

• Are you sure that OCC are still adding on sales from the box sets?
                                                            I have seen some forum posts where this has been denied.

Comment

• I can just say that 82,000 copies from February till now are irrealistic. I don't understand where they come out...
                                                              But even if they were taken from Platinum Collection, Greatest Hits total figure wouldn't be so high.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X