No announcement yet.

Queen :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great, MJ, I want to see your complete work!

Comment

• Great work MJ Dangerous, Iīm glad to see it. I enjoyed each of those you posted, but I realy wanted to see this.

Looking at some total, itīs clear how the band had a very good base of very successful albums.

Taking your numbers from Germany (for which I agree) and adding some other for their first three albums, Queen is about 15 M in that country. This fits with an article I read from 2004 which gave the same number for the band. I wonder if there are many other bands which have sold that many.

And France is a particular place for Queen. They have an irregular trajectory there. Some albums made the top ten but they didnīt spend many weeks on the charts, while some other were "only" top 20 but a lot weeks on the charts. But adding all those sales, they have a very good number there.

Comment

• Thanks CaptainAhab and HUR ! HUR you are right about Queen sales in particular countries, in some of them they are definitely among the very first acts ever, maybe even #1 in countries like Germany (excluding local acts of course).

BTW, I have just done the sales of R.E.M., they sold an amazing total of 78 millions albums! I wasn't expecting a that high figures, but catalog sales of their 80's albums added to successful albums of the 90's made them a very strong selling band!
        25 June 2009, the day the Music died

Comment

• Originally posted by HUR
          Originally posted by MJDangerous
          Great summary HUR, Queen's catalog sales are amazing.

Has someone keep Queen's albums certifications in Canada with their date ? I can't find them anymore :(
          Thank you MJ Dnagerous.

About Canada, here is what I have. I donīt have the accurate date, but the years.

1976- "A night at the opera"- 100.000
          1977- "A day atthe races"- 100.000
          1978- "News of the world"- 300.000
          1984- "The works"- 100.000
          1991- "Innuendo"- 50.000
          1993- Classic queen- 500.000
          1993- Greatest hits- 300.000
          1995- "Made in heaven"- 100.000

A poor pattern of certification. :( But, for example, "The game" was 10 weeks at number one on rpm chart (even during december) and there is no certification.

We have some unnofficial numbers, which says that Greatest hits (only the version from 1992) should be certified 700.000 and also Classic queen. In Canada, there was another compilation, called "The very best of queen", which was a package with their first two compilations wich sold at least 150.000 copies.
          The CRIA DBASe has been down for some time. The certification report below was sent to me by CRIA per email March 11th 2003. I hope it is useful!

CANADIAN RECORDING INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION

L'ASSOCIATION DE L'INDUSTRIE CANADIENNE
          DE L'ENREGISTREMENT
          11-Mar-2003 Certification by Artist

Award
          Artist
          Title \ Applicant \ Label Media CanCon Certif. Date Order No.

QUEEN
          A DAY AT THE RACES \ WEA MUSIC \
          GOLD ALBUM(S) Vinyl N 01-Feb-1977 6347
          PLATINUM ALBUM(S) Vinyl N 01-Apr-1977 6348
          A NIGHT AT THE OPERA \ WEA MUSIC \
          GOLD ALBUM(S) Vinyl N 01-Dec-1976 10239
          PLATINUM ALBUM(S) Vinyl N 01-Dec-1976 6349
          CLASSIC QUEEN \ WARNER MUSIC CANADA LTD \ Hollywood Records
          GOLD ALBUM(S) CD N 10-Apr-1992 6354
          PLATINUM ALBUM(S) CD N 29-Apr-1992 6353
          DOUBLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S) CD N 28-Oct-1992 6351
          TRIPLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S) CD N 28-Oct-1992 6352
          QUADRUPLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S) CD N 28-Oct-1992 6350
          QUINTUPLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S) CD N 07-Sep-1993 6355
          GREATEST HITS \ WARNER MUSIC CANADA LTD \ Warner
          GOLD ALBUM(S) CD N 25-Nov-1992 6358
          PLATINUM ALBUM(S) CD N 25-Nov-1992 6359
          DOUBLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S) CD N 25-Nov-1992 6357
          TRIPLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S) CD N 15-Apr-1993 6356
          INNUENDO \ WARNER MUSIC CANADA LTD \ Hollywood
          GOLD ALBUM(S) CD N 12-Feb-1991 6360
          MADE IN HEAVEN \ A & M RECORDS \ Hollywood
          GOLD ALBUM(S) CD N 30-Nov-1995 6362
          PLATINUM ALBUM(S) CD N 10-Jan-1996 6361
          NEWS OF THE WORLD \ WEA MUSIC \
          GOLD ALBUM(S) Vinyl N 01-Feb-1978 10053
          PLATINUM ALBUM(S) Vinyl N 01-Feb-1978 6363
          DOUBLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S) Vinyl N 01-Jun-1978 10054
          TRIPLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S) Vinyl N 01-Jun-1978 6364
          THE FREDDIE MERCURY TRIBUTE CONCERT \ EMI MUSIC CANADA \ EMI
          GOLD DVD DVD N 17-Jan-2003 10711
          PLATINUM DVD DVD N 17-Jan-2003 10711
          THE WORKS \ CAPITOL RECORDS \
          GOLD ALBUM(S) Vinyl N 01-May-1984 6365
          PLATINUM ALBUM(S) Vinyl N 01-May-1984 6366

890 YONGE STREET, SUITE 1200, TORONTO, ONTARIO M4W 3P4 TEL: (416) 967-7272 FAX: (416) 967-9415

I have queried 'The Game' back then, as it had gone 5 times Platinum according to 'As it Began' in Canada.

here is the reply:
          "I'm looking into "The Game" for you. It's definitely not in our database and that would be for one of two reasons:
          1. computer glitch (most likely)
          2. it was never certified (not entirely impossible -
          but not very likely).
          I'll get back to you..."

following this I received the folowing info by email:
          "After much investigating, we figured it out. "The
          Game" was produced on a British label that didn't
          have a Canadian counterpart. In most cases, the
          record company makes the effort to apply for
          certification but since there wasn't a Canadian
          label affected, no application was ever made for this
          album."

Comment

• Originally posted by braca
            In Canada according to CRIA the following:
            CLASSIC QUEEN\WARNER MUSIC CANADA LTD\Hollywood REC
            GOLD ALBUM(S) CD N 10-Apr-1992 6354
            PLATINUM ALBUM(S)CD N 29-Apr-1992 6353
            DOUBLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S)CD N 28-Oct-1992 6351
            TRIPLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S)CDN 28-Oct-1992 6352
            QUADRUPLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S)CD N 28-Oct-1992 6350
            QUINTUPLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S)CD N 07-Sep-1993 6355

GREATEST HITS \ WARNER MUSIC CANADA LTD \ Warner
            GOLD ALBUM(S) CD N 25-Nov-1992 6358
            PLATINUM ALBUM(S)CD N 25-Nov-1992 6359
            DOUBLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S)CDN 25-Nov-1992 6357
            TRIPLE PLATINUM ALBUM(S)CD N15-Apr-1993 6356

Via CRIA i received an email address at universal i raised the issue of certifications not being up-to-date. The person was kindly enough to provide the following info:
            'You are correct in your assumption that the certifications are not up to date. This is due to a number of factors. When the original Queen albums were first released in Canada (and the U.S.), they were on the Elektra label (part of the Warner Music Group). Then the rights were all transferred to Hollywood Records which was at that time also part of the Warner Music Group. Then Hollywood changed distribution in North America to the Polygram group which was later merged with Universal Music.

The sales information from that pre-Polygram period is not readily accessible to us and candidly, it is not our practice to continue to review catalogue titles for further certification unless there is a specific reason to do so. The reason for that is that it costs us money each time you certify an album.'

In addition he provided me the following unofficial certification level while 'under contract' with universal: as per march 2005

Classic Queen - 2X Platinum
            Greatest Hits - 4X Platinum
            Made In Heaven - Platinum
            Very Best Of Queen - 3X Platinum
            Greatest Video Hits 1 (DVD) - 4X Platinum
            Live At Wembley Stadium (DVD) - 5X Platinum
            Greatest Video Hits 2 (DVD) - 2X Platinum
            On Fire - Live At The Bowl (DVD) - 3X Platinum

Canadian certifications are based on the following criteria:
            CD - Gold (50,000)
            CD - Platinum (100,000) & multiples thereafter in increments of 100,000
            VHS/DVD - Gold (5,000)
            VHS/DVD - Platinum (10,000) & multiples thereafter in increments of 10,000

If a title has more than one unit in it, then each unit counts as 1. For example, Greatest Video Hits 1 DVD has shipped over 20,000 units so that makes it 2X Platinum. Because there are two discs in the package, that now makes it 4X Platinum.

Very Best Of Queen is, as far as I know a Canadian release only (in stead of GH 1 and 2?)

Therefore Classic Queen is in reality 5 P (cria) and 2xP brings it to 7 platinum at a minimum.
            GH 3P (Cria AND they informed me that this is the 92 release only!) and 4P bring this title to 7 platinum awards as well - But with sales from '81 to '92 unaccounted for. Based on that i would argue that GH should most probably be certified Diamond in canada for 1,000,000 sales.
            I have received an update from universal
            CD
            Greatest Hits - 5 X Platinum
            The Platinum Collection - Platinum
            DVD
            Greatest Video Hits 1 - 5 X Platinum
            Live At Wembey Stadium - 3 X Platinum
            Greatest Video hits 2 - Platinum

On Fire Live At The Bowl - 5 X Platinum
            Queen & Paul Rodgers - Return of The Champions - 2 X Platinum
            pls note that the 2 titles in bold were (unofficialy) certified higher before that was a glitch in the report.

Comment

• I've fixed the UK posting on Page One which had the wrong certs for some live albums.

I've added the new soundscan total for Greatest Hits to the US posting (Page One).
              See Page One of my threads for all updates

Comment

• I have received an update from universal
                CD
                Greatest Hits - 5 X Platinum
                The Platinum Collection - Platinum
                DVD
                Greatest Video Hits 1 - 5 X Platinum
                Live At Wembey Stadium - 3 X Platinum
                Greatest Video hits 2 - Platinum
                On Fire Live At The Bowl - 5 X Platinum
                Queen & Paul Rodgers - Return of The Champions - 2 X Platinum
                pls note that the 2 titles in bold were (unofficialy) certified higher before that was a glitch in the report.

Thank you, great information. About DVD Live at wembley it was probably a mistake.

Comment

• Basil, thank you for the update.

Comment

• Need some help from Queen fans again.

Does anyone have a complete list of videos released in the UK (and US)?

I believe their first may have been Greatest Flix in 1981. They had loads of others including 3 volumes of The Magic Years and video EP's and everything.

If we get a complete list I'll include them after UK albums - 2nd post Page One.

Cheers - Basil

Comment

• Here is a list that I have:

1981- Greatest Flix
                      1984- "We will rock you"
                      1984- The Works EP
                      1985- Live in Rio
                      1987- Live in Budapest
                      1988- Magic Years Vol.1
                      1988- Magic Years Vol.2
                      1988- Magic Years Vol.3
                      1989- Rare live - A concert through time and space
                      1989- The Miracle EP
                      1990- Quee at Wembley '86
                      1991- Greatest Flix II
                      1992- The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert
                      1995- Champions of the world
                      1996- Made in Heaven - The films
                      1999- Greatest Flix III

Video singles:

1986- "Who wants to live forever"
                      1987- "Crazzy little thing called love"

In 1991, when they released Greatest flix 2, there was also a package with Gratest flix 1 and Greatest flix 2, called "Box of flix".

In 1998, there was an special issue called "Queen rocks the world", with the songs listed on the compilation "Queen rocks", but it was released only for Germany and austria, and then avalaible as an import item in other places.

"Magic years" was also released as whole box set with the trhee videos.

For USA, I donīt have a complete list, but I pressume that all the videos released in UK and other places, were also edited there. In 1992, there was two video for that market: Classic queen and Grestest hits, with all the songs listed on the respective albums.

About DVDīs:

2002- Freddie Mercury tribute concert
                      2002- Greaest video hits 1
                      2003- Live at wembley
                      2003- Greatest video hits 2
                      2004- Queen on fire
                      2005- The return of the champions
                      2006- "A night at the opera- classic rock edition"

I have unofficial chart information for some of them, but in some cases, they come from books or Queen sites, so you can take it or not.

Welll, Greastes flix, "We will rock you", "Live in rio", "Who wants to live forever" were number one. In 1991, Greatest flix 2 was also number one and, in that same week, "Box of flix" reached number 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by MJDangerous
                        I have finished my work about Queen, estimating sales of all their albums, they are at the moment #7 biggest selling act ever on 56 artists (still missing 42 acts, those which have their first letter after the Q, but only the Stones seem to can match them).
                        Here the estimations (sorry, all is in French as usual) :

Ventes Totales Mondiales : 156.100.000 albums vendus.
                        hello MJD -I appreciate your post - if i am not mistaken these estimates are based on actual facts/sales data and certifications and topped up with educated guesses based on (additional) chart performances. or?
                        Would it be possible to post a list with actual facts/sales data and certifications? or that the sales data, that represents facts only in your post, be color coded per country?

to all: Album sales claims seem to differ quite a bit
                        EMI Argentina mentioned on their website a couple of years ago already over 150 million albums are sold
                        http://www.emimusica.com.ar/art-home.as ... =2&letra=q

but the figure of "over 190 million albums" was claimed at its UK Music Hall of Fame induction http://channel4.com/music/microsites/U/ ... index.html
                        Even when we consider units rather that albums then 190 million seems high but at the same time this was a high profile media event would they just come up with a number without any credibility?
                        any thoughts?

Comment

• "We will rock You" is premiering in Toronto Canada in March 2007 it will be interesting to see how long a run it has and the affect on their sales in Canada

Comment

• to all: Album sales claims seem to differ quite a bit
                            EMI Argentina mentioned on their website a couple of years ago already over 150 million albums are sold
                            http://www.emimusica.com.ar/art-home.as ... =2&letra=q

but the figure of "over 190 million albums" was claimed at its UK Music Hall of Fame induction http://channel4.com/music/microsites/U/ ... index.html
                            Even when we consider units rather that albums then 190 million seems high but at the same time this was a high profile media event would they just come up with a number without any credibility?
                            any thoughts?
                            I think that the 150 M is a better option. Thatīs what the band probably sold. And yes, I had also read that claim from 2004, but i think that itīs too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Classicrock
                              "We will rock You" is premiering in Toronto Canada in March 2007 it will be interesting to see how long a run it has and the affect on their sales in Canada

Yes, I read that the musical will be in Canada. Is it getting good promotion?.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUR
                                Originally posted by Classicrock
                                "We will rock You" is premiering in Toronto Canada in March 2007 it will be interesting to see how long a run it has and the affect on their sales in Canada

Yea it is not sure it will do that well like it did it London cos they just dont have the same stature in Canada that they have in UK.In any event i will keep you posted how it is doing from someone who actually lives in the city where it is premiering

Comment

• I found this:
                                  http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=361070

QUEEN Greatest Hits II (Official and stunning 1994 IFPI certified Swedish PLATINUM Award issued to commemorate sales in excess of 1,000,000 copies. This aluminium framed and glazed award measures 11" x 16" in size, and shows a copy of the CD witha global 'EMI' logo placed in the centre of the disc plus album artwork mounted above the authentic custom engraved dedication plaque. This is all mounted on a beautiful cobalt blue background!)

Comment

• Originally posted by braca
                                    I found this:

QUEEN Greatest Hits II (Official and stunning 1994 IFPI certified Swedish PLATINUM Award issued to commemorate sales in excess of 1,000,000 copies. This aluminium framed and glazed award measures 11" x 16" in size, and shows a copy of the CD witha global 'EMI' logo placed in the centre of the disc plus album artwork mounted above the authentic custom engraved dedication plaque. This is all mounted on a beautiful cobalt blue background!)
                                    Platinum is 100,000 in Sweden (well, was 100,000 back in 94). His run is not that impressive, it peaked "only" at #2.

Comment

Originally posted by braca
                                      I found this:

Platinum is 100,000 in Sweden (well, was 100,000 back in 94). His run is not that impressive, it peaked "only" at #2.
                                      Yes it was no 2... That in itself does not mean that much it was also 'just' no 2 in Germany but sold rather well overthere - but was no 2 for some time if I am not mistaken.
                                      Could this be a special award you think? Although I must admit that 1 million is a lot for a country Like Sweden. (tried to read the sales number on the photo displayed but it to blurry when blown up)

Comment

• #2 but one year in the top 50 (6 months in the top 10)

#2 of 1992 albums in sweden (GH 1 was #85)

Comment

• Originally posted by john2000
                                          #2 but one year in the top 50 (6 months in the top 10)

Yes 24 weeks top 10... Good but not THAT good. Not at all suffisant to sold a million in Sweden. Massively successful albums like the eponymous o Nordman sold 'only' around 500k, despite 16 weeks at #1 and almost 2 years charted, Vapen & ammunition by Kent also sold this amount of copies with 7 weeks #1 and 10 months top 10. The same goes for Halmstads pärlor by Gyllene Tider, 20 weeks #1, 102 weeks top 60 in several different years and still nowhere near to a million.

BTW, do you have complete year end charts of Sweden ?

Comment

Originally posted by john2000
                                            #2 but one year in the top 50 (6 months in the top 10)

Yes 24 weeks top 10... Good but not THAT good. Not at all suffisant to sold a million in Sweden. Massively successful albums like the eponymous o Nordman sold 'only' around 500k, despite 16 weeks at #1 and almost 2 years charted, Vapen & ammunition by Kent also sold this amount of copies with 7 weeks #1 and 10 months top 10. The same goes for Halmstads pärlor by Gyllene Tider, 20 weeks #1, 102 weeks top 60 in several different years and still nowhere near to a million.

BTW, do you have complete year end charts of Sweden ?
                                            yes of course not a million I know that ;) but probably well over 200.000

You can find them on grammotex archives. I don't have to post them now but will do it next week if you want

Comment

• Originally posted by Classicrock
                                              Originally posted by HUR
                                              Originally posted by Classicrock

Yea it is not sure it will do that well like it did it London cos they just dont have the same stature in Canada that they have in UK.In any event i will keep you posted how it is doing from someone who actually lives in the city where it is premiering
                                              Thank you Classicrock, I wait for your information. And yes, Queen were not a very big act in Canada, or at least not as many as in their places.

Comment

• Thank you John, for that information. I had also read that Greatest hits 2 was the second best selling album of 1992 in Sweden, but I wasnīt sure.

Comment

• The list of UK videos has been edited into the post on UK albums - 2nd post on Page One.

Many thanks HUR.

Comment

• I found this:

"Queen named 'Greatest British band of all time'"

They are the results of a new poll made by radio 2 in UK.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=174755

Comment

Working...
                                                    X